• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buzzfeed Exposé: Milo, Breitbart Collabed Directly With Nazis For Years

giga

ziBOpdu.png

Bye, bitch.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
GamerGate really was ground zero for this white supremacist revival. JFC.
not ground zero, just a potent mixture nationalism needed to really expand.

Really hope a lot of publishers that didn’t stand up to the growing base in the beginning, the game journalists that didn’t push back early enough and lots of personalities in the gaming community that continue to still play moderate feel ashamed.

Fuchsdh

The Auerbach stuff I guess isn't too surprising. Ran into him over on Wikipedia in the fallout from the Gamergate stuff. He seemed like one of the most vindictive journalists I've encountered, and the fact that he was aiding and abetting harassment I guess should come as no surprise.

Major gaming forum NeoGAF has banned Gamergate discussion, yet hosts pedophilia discussions on non-age-restricted boards and has a sexist owner, Tyler Malka, who admitted to sexually assaulting a woman.

Auerbach doesn't like GAF either... wonder where he found those archive links... and who tipped him off to find stuff to conviently shame GAF for banning GG.... hmmm... ponders the mind.

Lime

not ground zero, just a potent mixture nationalism needed to really expand.

Really hope a lot of publishers that didn’t stand up to the growing base in the beginning, the game journalists that didn’t push back early enough and lots of personalities in the gaming community that continue to still play moderate feel ashamed.

Back in 2014 EA explicitly told their employees that they should shut up and avoid the topic for "their own safety". Basically implying that if you speak up, EA won't be there to support you and you're on your own. Just like Nintendo did with Alison Rapp and threw her under the bus in the end (while gamers still drink the kool aid because they love their sweet games)

These game companies are not going to do shit, because they are too afraid of controversy and loss of potential money by taking a stand, so they silence their workers or throw them under the bus.

WhatNXt

The amount of people dismissing this article on Twitter and Facebook is deeply depressing.

Its also annoying how many people are like "he's a British Jew who married a POC".. Like he can't be a deliberately provocative piece of shit soldier in Bannon's culture and information war regardless. Its kinda funny what a slime ball he is even to his friends, trying to steal bylines and credit.

The big thing for me are all the scumbags trying to use Milo to further their own agenda because they're too cowardly to represent their own views publicly. And of course, the money men being exposed.

Hopefully some shitstains losing jobs and friends in the coming weeks. Have to say, great work, great article!

Back in 2014 EA explicitly told their employees that they should shut up and avoid the topic for "their own safety". Basically implying that if you speak up, EA won't be there to support you and you're on your own. Just like Nintendo did with Alison Rapp and threw her under the bus in the end (while gamers still drink the kool aid because they love their sweet games)

These game companies are not going to do shit, because they are too afraid of controversy and loss of potential money by taking a stand, so they silence their workers or throw them under the bus.

Exactly . I've said it before and will say it again: gaming companies are not going to segment the bad seeds out; not when they make money from the lowest common denominator.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I've really hated this guy since Gamergate and knew he was peddling bullshit, and yet a lot of the stuff in this article still shocks me.

It's just so hard to imagine people secretly being actual nazis, and how horrible that is. Like, of course there's tons of people secretly wanting to use the n-word all the types of secret racial profiling. And there must be a few confederate holdouts that follow the family tradition of thinking slavery was good. But nazis always felt like a fairy tale villain that absolutely no one could sympathise with.

I guess it's worth remembering that Nazis were very real, and if people could be like that back then, they can just as easily be like that today. It's very scary.

Bleepey

Milo is an interesting case, because any gay people I've encountered who is very white & conservative ended up that way due to internalizing self-hatred and acting straight and "normal" as a way of life, with being out and proud LGBTQA... as bad. Milo is young and has apparently been out and proud as a flamboyant gay man for quite a white. It's why I thought he was on some Andy Kauffman shit for so long when I was first exposed to him on podcasts. He was such an absurd contradictory person that it only made sense to me that it was a persona intended to make fun of self-hating gay conservatives. Of course over time there has been less and less evidence to suggest it's a persona.

Milo is a gay, Jewish, neo nazi/alt right, jackass who is married to a black man. Stephen Miller is probably the only Jewish man that writes his name with triple brackets (((Stephen Miller))). Real life needs better script writers, shit is getting too stupid.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The amount of people dismissing this article on Twitter and Facebook is deeply depressing.

Its also annoying how many people are like "he's a British Jew who married a POC".. Like he can't be a deliberately provocative piece of shit soldier in Bannon's culture and information war regardless. Its kinda funny what a slime ball he is even to his friends, trying to steal bylines and credit.

The big thing for me are all the scumbags trying to use Milo to further their own agenda because they're too cowardly to represent their own views publicly. And of course, the money men being exposed.

Hopefully some shitstains losing jobs and friends in the coming weeks. Have to say, great work, great article!

Who the hell is dismissing this article on Twitter? Are we talking the usual gamergater/altright/Russian bots or are actual people dismissing it?

pigeon

Banned
Man, I've really hated this guy since Gamergate and knew he was peddling bullshit, and yet a lot of the stuff in this article still shocks me.

It's just so hard to imagine people secretly being actual nazis, and how horrible that is. Like, of course there's tons of people secretly wanting to use the n-word all the types of secret racial profiling. And there must be a few confederate holdouts that follow the family tradition of thinking slavery was good. But nazis always felt like a fairy tale villain that absolutely no one could sympathise with.

I guess it's worth remembering that Nazis were very real, and if people could be like that back then, they can just as easily be like that today. It's very scary.

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/216700/who-goes-trump

It is an interesting and somewhat macabre parlor game to play at a large gathering of one’s acquaintances: to speculate who in a showdown would go Trump. Having gone through the experience many times, I have come to know the types: the born Trumpkins, the Trumpkins whom democracy itself has created, the certain-to-be fellow travelers. And I also know those who never, under any conceivable circumstances, would go Trump.

It is preposterous to think that Trump supporters are created by economic or regional characteristics. The rural white working-class may be more susceptible to Trumpism than most people, but I doubt that preference is inherent. Hispanics are barred, but that’s an arbitrary, circumstantial ruling. I know lots of Hispanics who are born Trumpkins and many others who would support Trump tomorrow morning if given an opening to do so. Trumpism has nothing to do with class, ethnicity, or even gender. It appeals to a certain type of mind.

This article is more worth reading than ever.

iJack

Banned
I guess that the twist is that it was all about ethics in Alt-Right journalism, am I right, #gamergate?

Isn't ironic that what these people were mostly "red pilled" into this through the excuse that gaming journalists were colluding with game developers? I can't be the only one that is laughing his off at the irony on all of this.

Lime

Since Gamergate is brought up again, how the fuck does Totalbiscuit still have a career and position in the games industry and culture? Why is anyone, whether publisher, developer, or gamer, supporting him? After the shit he pulled during Gamergate and the many times he's sicced his followers after women, how does any well-meaning 'moderate' or whatever you want to call it still watch or support him?

Totalbiscuit is the worst and could easily have been another name in this article with the way he collaborated with these pathetic neo-nazis.

WhatNXt

Who the hell is dismissing this article on Twitter? Are we talking the usual gamergater/altright/Russian bots or are actual people dismissing it?

Its the bots and asshole brigade you speak of,I just didn't realise there were so many of them!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just waiting for this to be tied to Russia eventually.

Lime

I guess that the twist is that it was all about ethics in Alt-Right journalism, am I right, #gamergate?

Isn't ironic that what these people were mostly "red pilled" into this through the excuse that gaming journalists were colluding with game developers? I can't be the only one that is laughing his off at the irony on all of this.

Regular 'gamers', even here on moderated neogaf, were getting aneurysms when Sarkeesian had an opinion about a video game all the way back in 2012, two years before Gamergate. The way that people lost their shit because a woman had an opinion about their sweet games tells me that they were already primed for being red-pilled with the rationalizations they did to excuse the harassment and criticisms of her.

Ethics in games journalism was just a good excuse or rationale to increase the harassment and become even more radicalized by neo-nazis. These gamers had already shit the bed before gamergate happened and the games industry & media made sure of this with their silence and complicity the last ten years.

besada

Banned
Unsurprising to anyone that went through Gamergate. Milo was specifically brought in by Breitbart to harness the angry young men of gaming, whom he successfully played like a fiddle. Anyone shocked by the number of racists, sexists, and white supremacists in gaming hasn't been paying attention.

Also, David Auerbach is a shit bag who should lose his job. Not for being a Gamergate crony douchebag, but for being a terrible fucking reporter who sources stories through shit sites like RalphRetort.

iJack

Banned
Since Gamergate is brought up again, how the fuck does Totalbiscuit still have a career and position in the games industry and culture? Why is anyone, whether publisher, developer, or gamer, supporting him? After the shit he pulled during Gamergate and the many times he's sicced his followers after women, how does any well-meaning 'moderate' or whatever you want to call it still watch or support him?

Totalbiscuit is the worst and could easily have been another name in this article with the way he collaborated with these pathetic neo-nazis.

I will disagree with you on that.

I hate Totalbiscuit stance on guns. But TB is the ONE guy in the whole gamergate fiasco that I actually see that sided with gamers without trying to sugarcoat alt-right nazist bullshit into people. His beef was with the old way that games were reviewed vs. youtubers. It still is. He is very pro-consumer when it comes to gaming and I don't agree with him on lots of things, but when gamers as an identity was attacked and gamer journalists feeded the fire instead of drawing the line on the sand, people that can't think by themselves were coopted into this. Yes, the white nationalists were always there. Milo and his white nationalist breitbart crew feeded on this. But I'm not taking the blame from people that endorsed things like "gamers are dead" and stuff like that.

Yes, the gaming community has a mysoginy problem. Yes, we should own up that. But there's a great TED talk with Lawrence Lessig and I can't find it here right now, about the dangers of criminalizing a whole generation of people when talking about file sharing and how the remix culture worked in the internet. What he basically meant is that calling EVERYONE a criminal is dangerous. And I feel like this is a materialization of that.

So yes, the gaming community fell like fucking idiots into the trap of white nationalists. Yes, gamergate was the catalyst of literally all bullshit that is happening in the USA - and other parts of the world - right now. But I'm not taking the kneejerk reaction of the gaming journalists from that as not part of the problem. Yes, Totalbiscuit was used. But I don't think he stand up as a "moderate" for the wrong reasons. So yeah, unless proven otherwise, I just don't see how TB can be blamed for that.

Who the fuck are the Mercers?! (I'm not shocked that the alt-right cancer machine is funded by some alien-looking billionaires) but what do they gain from this exactly?

Famassu

I've got two people tweeting at me (after I defended Buzzfeed) about how Buzzfeed is essentially the same as Breitbart and spreads around just as much hate & lies.

Because nothing matters on YouTube. Everyone just closes ranks and floats in its toxicity

Darknight

Im sick and tired of white people bashing good american citizens by peacefully protesting because of their skin color and letting these neo-nazis off the hook.

Its like they dont even want to hide it any more. Those who calls names of the people kneeling and protesting that way are just fucking racists and its so fucking sad to watch people you know do this.

How can they not see how they bitch and moan about anything black americans yet ignore all the bullshit the alt-right and neo-nazis are doing. Like if you fucking care about all of these, you would be telling these nazi fucks to GTFO the country.

PS: I do not mean to generalize and mean ALL white folks. I mean the ones who are so fucking oblivious to what they are doing. Also goes for other minority folks who pretend to be better than other groups. ugh...

epmode

Unsurprising to anyone that went through Gamergate. Milo was specifically brought in by Breitbart to harness the angry young men of gaming, whom he successfully played like a fiddle. Anyone shocked by the number of racists. sexists, and white supremacists in gaming hasn't been paying attention.

I knew we were screwed when I played Halo 2 online for the first time. Gamergate came as no surprise.

(the earliest years of online console gaming were pretty great though. Even military bang bang stuff like Rainbow Six 3 had a good community)

A relative stood awkwardly in the same elevator as Bannon without saying anything during a recent china work trip. I guarantee being silent to him was a mistake.

Crazy question but do guys think that the world would be a much better place if Andrew Breitbart hadn't died? I know he was a shithead, but there's a good chance that if he's still alive and in charge Bannon isn't allowed to get into the Nazi shit and it remains just one of many horrible right wing websites.

Crazy question but do guys think that the world would be a much better place if Andrew Breitbart hadn't died? I know he was a shithead, but there's a good chance that if he's still alive and in charge Bannon isn't allowed to get into the Nazi shit and it remains just one of many horrible right wing websites.

Not to be condescending but speculating doesn't drive a conversation in any shape , way or form. Being alive isn't a slippery slope fallacy.

WhatNXt

Who the fuck are the Mercers?! (I'm not shocked that the alt-right cancer machine is funded by some alien-looking billionaires) but what do they gain from this exactly?

Influence, but for what reason they're pursuing that? Who knows.

They've donated to the Koch's and climate change denial groups though

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...what-the-powerful-mercers-really-want/514529/

They are behind Cambridge Analytica too, who not only backed Trump, they backed the Brexit/Farage/Leave campaign here in the UK as well - so it's not just the US political system they're meddling with, they're trying to change the whole world order.

Their wealth comes from hedge funds and gambling basically. Sounds like they're now gambling with politics for political power and influence.

Magwik

Banned
They would have folded under a different umbrella. It wouldn't have stopped GG.

Influence, but for what reason they're pursuing that? Who knows.

They've donated to the Koch's and climate change denial groups though

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...what-the-powerful-mercers-really-want/514529/

They are behind Cambridge Analytica too, who not only backed Trump, they backed the Brexit/Farage/Leave campaign here in the UK as well - so it's not just the US political system they're meddling with, they're trying to change the whole world order.

Their wealth comes from hedge funds and gambling basically. Sounds like they're now gambling with politics for political power and influence.

Great article. Makes it abundantly clear what a whirlwhind we are in.

and also why Ted Cruz was up Trump's ass after the campaign (they're both paid by the same people)

Buckle

People wondering how a gay man can be a Nazi, can we even be sure Milo is really gay at this point and isn't just fronting that for deniability sake
Theres always going to be some sociopath that agrees with the people that think he's an aberration or less than human in an attempt to become one of the good ones, sadly.

You see it with black people, jews, LGBTs, etc. Being a minority doesn't inoculate you against being stupid.

Theres always going to be some sociopath that agrees with the people that think he's an aberration or less than human in an attempt to become one of the good ones, sadly.

You see it with black people, jews, LGBTs, etc. Being a minority doesn't inoculate you against being stupid.

Uncle Ruckus Syndrome

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Sheesh, wtf?? I always new racism is alive and well in America, but full blown Nazism on this scale is another level.

I mean really? Nazis? F me

I mean there are black Republicans...

Nothing I find more annoying is when is see black republicans being interviewed and they get called out for supporting a racist president, they freak out and do the whole “how dare you even bring this up” faux outrage bs

Scarier part is no one is really doing anything to stop it.
horrifying

the only optimistic (and probably just trying to not go insane by lying to myself) take away is these nazi collaborators know what their doing is wrong, it’s why they have to do it in secret

Sheesh, wtf?? I always new racism is alive and well in America, but full blown Nazism on this scale is another level.

I mean really? Nazis? F me

and they are exploited and FUNDED by elitists who have teams in place in the media and now in the whitehouse.

This thread and these two articles highlight just what a joke we are as a country. There is no freedom. There is no drain the swamp. we are recipients of a war of money amongst the 1%. we are an oligarchy run by multiple families battling it our for financial control

Wilsongt

They are the people who the right-wing claim George Soros to be.

They actually do spend a lot of money and funding into the alt-right and Bannon's coffers to try and get Trump elected.

Top Bottom