• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buzzfeed: R. Kelly Is Holding Women Against Their Will In A “Cult,” Parents Told Poli

facelike

This reminds me of the pimp / ho relationship. She swear he loves her and she loves him though he controlling everything in her life. Got other women doing the same and they probably know or met each other. Wouldn't surprise me he sends his 'boys' over there to get some when he is isn't around. Sad, but it's on the girl now, maybe the parents can reach her but.

I stopped buying his music after the Happy People album. I'm not a religious man but to suck up to the church when you're in legal shit and go back to the dirt right when he's acquitted is bullshit. Funny, my religious friends forgave him, I still won't.

Measley

Dude has kids in almost every video he makes. He's a twisted fuck who just happens to make catchy music. When he lost his mom in the mid-90s he started to lose his mind and started making weird videos.

Boondocks episode had it right.

McLovin

I never get why people do this. Not R. Kelly(he's a sick fuck I get that), its the parents. Dude has a fucked up sexual history and you bring your daughter to him. All the people that worked with Cosbey too. R. Kelly was on tape, he did that shit. Bill Cosbey raped those women, its too many for it to be faked. I don't understand the mentality. I'm sorry for what they are going through. Even if they get their daughter out its probably going to take years to undo that brainwashing.

Deepwater

Probably referring to Pill Cosby. Can't know if he's the biggest. I bet there's a lot going on in that industry we simply do not know about.

Bill Cosby but it was still a pretty silly reply to what I said.

The cops would have to give a shit to go looking for them as opposed to assuming the girls are just being "fast" and they'll come home themselves eventually.

Yeah but shouldn't the fact that he's a black male more than offset that to concerned authorities?

I'm assuming he's talking about Cosby.

Tying the proclivity of sexual predators in the entertainment industry to one race over another is asinine, either way.

platocplx

Man it's funny people take a one sided story and believe everything that is written. That is a problem with people as a whole, and come away with the "buzz word" used by the author "brainwashed". People.

THIS ISNT A ONE SIDED STORY. Hes been settling for years out of civil court, he literally peed on a 14 year old. THIS IS R.KELLY.. wtf.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Stage Parents, possible sexual abuse is worth the chance of fame. The movement of this immoral circle keeps churning.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
So you mean the guy who writes songs like this

is a sexual predator?
No way, shocked.

You could do this with pretty much any r&b singer.

But man, R. Kelly is really a sick fuck. But if this girl's mom uncovered all this herself and told the cops and the FBI I guess he's not actually breaking any laws.

the man was literally put on trial for sexual misconduct with a minor but this is a one sided story? the man who also (illegally) married a 15 year old girl (whom he met when she was 12)?

log off and get on your non junior account so we can know who you are pls & thx

I know this, but what does this have to do with him having sex with consenting adults?

Nah, they had me banned because I don't march in lock step. I have been here since the early 2000's.

Because there is plenty of evidence against him for being a sexual predator and paedophile in the past, which along with the testimony of 3 women who have been in this position before lends credence to the idea that he is manipulating these young women and essentially keeping them as sex slaves.

You are impressively eager to surrender.

Not entirely sure how to interpret your comment, but I was referencing the rape claims levelled at Trump some time ago. I mean, it basically seems if they're rich they can pay people off and get away with almost anything.

Not to defend him, but I think his point is in this specific case he's not being a sexual offender/pedophile nor appears to be breaking the law.

This is also true. Unless he's drugging these girls, there isn't a crime occurring here.

The lesson learned is: "Stay away from R. Kelly." Which should really be common sense by now.

TS-08

This is also true. Unless he's drugging these girls, there isn't a crime occurring here.

The lesson learned is: "Stay away from R. Kelly." Which should really be common sense by now.

Well the women speaking with Buzzfeed talk about physical abuse if "rules" are broken, so crimes are definitely being alleged.

BlueSteel

When I lived in Hyde Park, some folks I talked to swore that R Kelly would hang out by Kenwood Academy for... "reasons."

And what do you fucking know. Jesus Christ.

Oersted

Because there is plenty of evidence against him for being a sexual predator and paedophile in the past, which along with the testimony of 3 women who have been in this position before lends credence to the idea that he is manipulating these young women and essentially keeping them as sex slaves.

Not entirely sure how to interpret your comment, but I was referencing the rape claims levelled at Trump some time ago. I mean, it basically seems if they're rich they can pay people off and get away with almost anything.

I know you referred to that, thus I pointed out your eagerness to surrender instead of standing up for something. Could have gotten you wrong, mind you.

jbug617

Banned
He is a predator that gets unchecked. He married Aaliyah when she was underage,
the sextape and now this. Just imagine the other things he did or does that is not reported

Sorry, I don't know if I mistakenly put a s to the end or its autocorrect. I am talking about one man only. You know the one.
Bill Cosby but it was still a pretty silly reply to what I said.

The cops would have to give a shit to go looking for them as opposed to assuming the girls are just being "fast" and they'll come home themselves eventually.
That's a sexism problem not a racism one.

Redd

These girls aren't minors and R. Kelly has been a sick predator for years. I was done with him after that whole Aaliyah thing and that piss video. That's why I'm so angry at a system that let this scum walk after they freaking have a video of him having sex with a minor. Shits rigged when you got the cash to game they system.

Being a legal adult and having agency means you can allow yourself to be manipulated or brainwashed which sounds like may be the case here. The parents think they're being forced to do it against the will, however welfare checks by police asking the women themselves say otherwise.

It sounds like they can leave the relationship at any time as the other girls have done who are telling their side of the story in the article.

Well the women speaking with Buzzfeed talk about physical abuse if "rules" are broken, so crimes are definitely being alleged.

This seems like the only way they can get him from a legal standpoint, but I doubt the girls staying with him even view it as physical abuse and are convinced it's merely discipline or punishment.

Deepwater

Being a legal adult and having agency means you can allow yourself to be manipulated or brainwashed which sounds like may be the case here. The parents think they're being forced to do it against the will, however welfare checks by police asking the women themselves say otherwise.

It sounds like they can leave the relationship at any time as the other girls have done who are telling their side of the story in the article.

This seems like the only way they can get him from a legal standpoint, but I doubt the girls staying with him even view it as physical abuse and are convinced it's merely discipline or punishment.

These girls aren't minors and R. Kelly has been a sick predator for years. I was done with him after that whole Aaliyah thing and that piss video. That's why I'm so angry at a system that let this scum walk after they freaking have a video of him having sex with a minor. Shits rigged when you got the cash to game they system.

Stop saying they aren't minors when 99% of the women claiming to victims were minors when they met. It's giving off the implication that they first met that nigga when they were 18+

Stop saying they aren't minors when 99% of the women claiming to victims were minors when they met. It's giving off the implication that they first met that nigga when they were 18+

You didn't view the legal ages of the states, did you?

And all of the women in Kelly's inner circle are of legal age — the age of consent is 17 in Illinois and 16 in Georgia

You are overly invested in pointing out the latter instead of dealing with the former. Tiny bit worrisome.

Here comes somebody on Gaf reframing my posts to say something I never said but what they want me to say.

It never fails.

No ability to disucss any nuance, only extremes.

platocplx

You are overly invested in pointing out the latter instead of dealing with the former. Tiny bit worrisome.

yeah its like well! no laws are being broken! i dont care vs like well maybe even if this is legal this is extremely troubling. I have no idea why anyone is taking that angle. Additionally there are countless women who are abused and will say things are okay because they are afraid of their abusers. Like this shouldn't be hard to understand.

yeah its like well! no laws are being broken! i dont care vs like well maybe even if this is legal this is extremely troubling. I have no idea why anyone is taking that angle. Additionally there are countless women who are abused and will say things are okay because they are afraid of their abusers. Like this shouldn't be hard to understand.

It's not an angle, it's an honest assessment of the situation and why currently nothing can be done about it.

But it's R.Kelly, his history speaks for itself, and truth be told after reading the article it sounds like the parents unfortunately handed their daughters to him on a silver platter.

This whole thing is super fucked

BUT

There isn't much that can be done. It's why cults are so hard to deal with. Unless something can be proven to be illegal that is 100% flat-out illegal, and not just something an adult is consenting to, then nothing can be done.

But it's still fucked.

KingV

Keeping women with a guard out front to scare them from leaving? Beating them? Verbally abusing them? Domestic violence is a crime.

Edit: the fact that he hasn't been arrested just means that the women aren't copping to it, and won't press charges. It doesn't mean he isn't committing a crime.

It just means there's no PROOF of a crime. But there is absolutely evidence.

I think R Kelly has some serious issues to be sure. But I don't believe he has mind control, only money.

Now were these women giving R Kelly money and shelter I might find the cult angle more persuasive. I mean, that's how cults usually operate. To me, these women are making the personal choice that the resources are worth the drawbacks.

We may not approve of their situation, but this feels more like Donald Trump than Jim Jones.

entremet

I actually had a hold R&B playlist that I was listening to recently and Bump and Grind came on and I just removed it lol.

I'm fine with separating the artist from the person, but R.Kelly is a gross individual.

Sorry. These parents are complicit. They knew damn well he was a sex predator and they still brought their daughter around him.

Yea. I mean come the fuck on folks. I know you want your kids "career" to take off so they can make you lots of money but you don't send your kid into a smoking building then panic when a fire breaks out and act shocked....

These entertainment industry dudes ain't looking to help your kid to stardom. They looking for naive people to manipulate for the purposes of sexual exploitation.

Crazyorloco

" She still lives with Kelly and says she's doing fine, despite her parents telling the police that she is ”being held against her will" in what they call a ”cult." "

Ok guys, it sounds like she's communicating and doing just fine. Is this more of a case of parents that just miss their children and perhaps want a news $candal? Not defending pee pee man here, but I don't see any cause for alarm yet...Maybe i'm missing something.

edit: ok this part is worrying "They said six women live in properties rented by Kelly in Chicago and the Atlanta suburbs, and he controls every aspect of their lives: dictating what they eat, how they dress, when they bathe, when they sleep, and how they engage in sexual encounters that he records."

but still I think those other families would come forward and demand their family members back. It's all weird.

" She still lives with Kelly and says she’s doing fine, despite her parents telling the police that she is “being held against her will” in what they call a “cult.” "

Ok guys, it sounds like she's communicating and doing just fine. Is this more of a case of parents that just miss their children and perhaps want a news $candal? Not defending pee pee man here, but I don't see any cause for alarm yet...Maybe i'm missing something.

A $candal? Are you kidding me?

Top Bottom