• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buzzword Alert: "Triple-I"/III Gaming

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's basically AAA for indies.

GamesIndustry.biz said:
Endzone is another simultaneous-turn-based game with a future sports aesthetic. It's a much more graphically ambitious project than Synapse. Our plan is to make use of some of the incredible freelance talent available in the UK, so we're using an ex-AAA Lead Artist (Richard Whitelock) and Lead Animator (Martin Binfield) to create something with extremely high production values for an indie game. The “triple-I” game will be a huge factor in the next couple of years, and we plan to be part of that.
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...er-mode-7s-move-to-multi-title-multi-platform

antitrop

I am waiting for the day when they get to Triple X/XXX.

ffMWF1Xm.jpg

They got some catching up to do, we've already been at four X's for like 11 years.

Feep

Banned
I personally agree with this philosophy...for There Came an Echo, anyway. So many indies out there.

But what a dumb buzzword. = D

Triple-indie? Kill me please. That doesn't even make any sense (AAA = triple-alpha, referring to Greek alphabet primacy). Not everyone can just make this shit up; buzzwords appear from odd circumstances everyone's involved in, not faux-corporate marketing.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Triple i(ndie) should not indicate a game that is even more indie than the usual? It should be more niche, weird and poor than the usual indie, not the opposite, they are simply doing a sub AAA game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is ridiculous. Also silly is the coining of terms such as "AAA+", "AAAA" and so forth -- is it really necessary to make a distinction beyond "big budget and high production values"?

Josh7289

That cover pisses me off. This is the generation that has graduated into a deep recession and a world engaged in stiff global competition. We cannot be sure that things will just keep getting better for us like Americans could assume in the second half of the previous century.

We can only do our best and hope for the best. Like these indie developers who are forging their own paths in life! (I had to work this back into the actual topic somehow
KuGsj.gif
)

Triple-indie? Kill me please. That doesn't even make any sense (AAA = triple-alpha, referring to Greek alphabet primacy). Not everyone can just make this shit up; buzzwords appear from odd circumstances everyone's involved in, not faux-corporate marketing.

Uh, yeah, some buzzwords are created by "faux-corporate marketing". I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and it is my understanding that someone working for the government involved in either business development or tourism came up with the phrase "the metroplex" to describe the area. I hate the term but it is unfortunately used a lot around here. (Sorry - couldn't think of a more relevant video game example.)

I agree with you but some phrases are created from BS marketing...

I'm waiting for "triple D" myself by the way... ;)

char0n

So these are basically high-budget low-budget games? Would be better if it was used for games where you're 16-bit sprite character has ironically 3D-rendered thick rim glasses they don't need while jamming to 80's movie theme inspired 8-bit chiptunes.

I personally agree with this philosophy...for There Came an Echo, anyway. So many indies out there.

But what a dumb buzzword. = D

It's basically the new mid tier 500k dollar budget development tier.

III sounds dumb as hell.

BTW, thanks for answering my technical question on the Kickstarter :).

xk0sm0sx

Looking back to 'AAA'...

"Our game is so good, it's a grade 'A' game."
"Our game is so good, it's not even just 'A', it's a 'AAA" game!"

qko

So would an indie game like Journey and Flower from thatgamecompany or Cloudberry Kingdom from pwnee studios who are indies but with major backing from big publishers be called III games? Or is it like VVVVVV was release on every platform possible?

That indie label is just so precious. Gotta remind people you're still totally indie if your games start to match the production value of the evil AAA games.

This is amazing.

A lot of us want to get away from AAA style gaming, and even more have looked towards indies as the salvation.

So of course this would end up being a thing. The fact that it has a stupid name just makes it even better.

Top Bottom