• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

C64 channel coming to Virtual Console - Europe exclusive at the moment :P

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Never played C64 apart from maybe as a kid over friend's houses... then again, I have a faint recollection of it at best. This would be cool to try but what are some interesting games that actually hold up well? I hope we'll get some of the Ultima ports, at least...

Somnid

Pricy but I'm glad for more systems coming aboard. Almost sounds like 500 points is the minimum they are going to go for any game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
8bit said:
sentinel.png

I came

ciccione said:
Stunt Car Racer anyone?

oh yes, but I'd prefer the amiga version

Brakara

Phife Dawg said:
Well I think NES games are too expensive as well - I only own two as a result. Not a lot of them held up that well as to justify a 5 € buy. Same with C64, I might spring for the occasional gem but that's it. At 200-300 I'd buy more games out of sheer nostalgia, even if the games aren't all that good anymore.

Exactly. I would've bought a lot more VC games if the prices were lower. 500 points for an average 8-bit game is a joke. Of course, if someone thinks NES games are priced decently and C64 games are overpriced, they're jokers too. As someone already said: C64 > NES (and Amiga > SNES btw).

CTLance

That pricepoint of 500 points stings a little bit. I'd have preferred 100 points less, to differentiate C64 and NES games in the minds of people. It's certainly not cheap, but I can live with the price. Five bucks certainly ain't small change, but I can live with allowing myself some "luxury" from time to time. Clearly outside of the impulse buy range though.

Oh, and please: Cracktros and awesometastic Loading screens. That would be so awesome. I'll begrudgingly ;) take the originals, too, but somehow it wouldn't give me the same sense of nostalgia. I never owned a C64, mind you, but I mooched off friends with C64s (and Schneider CPCs, for that matter).

Next on the wishlist: Amiga. :)

Anyway...
Please, Nintendo, give me a non-stupid storage solution. I want to give you money, but currently I have no space left and do not want to do the SD/download shuffle every time I want to play a different game...

ejdonk

I don't get Nintendos price strategy.. I haven't bought a VC game in months, because I could often get the original cartridge for the same price. The result is that I'm not purchasing any Wii points and that I'm not even checking out the Wii shop channel.. if prices would be let's say half or a third of what they are now, I would propably already have purchased 20 or more games... and I can't imagine that I'm the only one.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
The Virtual Console pricing is really getting out of hand.
I think part of the problem is stanard pricing by platform, rather than variable pricing by title. I'd have no problem paying 500 points for something like Crystalis, but stuff like Mappy or Tennis? No way.

The only limited variance seems to be in higher premiums too (for licensed properties or imports). I think VC sales would benefit greatly of all platform pricing allowed for more of a sliding scale based on a by title basis (ie: 300-600 points for 8bit, 600-900 points for 16bit, 900-1200 points for 32bit+).

Ranger X

How's Stunts on the C64? Is it looking at good or better than the Windows version? ( i guess not)

I suppose it wouldn't pop up anyways as it was depending on user created content...

ethelred

jarrod said:
I think part of the problem is stanard pricing by platform, rather than variable pricing by title. I'd have no problem paying 500 points for something like Crystalis, but stuff like Mappy or Tennis? No way.

The only limited variance seems to be in higher premiums too (for licensed properties or imports). I think VC sales would benefit greatly of all platform pricing allowed for more of a sliding scale based on a by title basis (ie: 300-600 points for 8bit, 600-900 points for 16bit, 900-1200 points for 32bit+).

I don't agree. The prices are bad and they just flat-out need to be slashed by a third across the board.

Benedict

Real price for C64-games should be 100 or highest 250 points.
Not higher.

Will not buy any C64-games because of the high price-point.

In real money here in Sweden that is about comparable to almost $8

samratty

Wow C64, wasn't expecting that at all.

I agree the pricing for all VC games is too high, especially out here in the UK. The C64 prices take it to a new level tho, you can find games for it at car boots for 10p a shot.

Ranger X

ethelred said:
I don't agree. The prices are bad and they just flat-out need to be slashed by a third across the board.

Based on what?
Value is totally subjective after all. When i see NES games outta here in Montreal selling at around 10$ on stores, i prefer to pay 5$ on the Wii, save money and also benefit from Component Cables clarity. SNES games and N64 games are also WAY MORE expensive than on the VC in stories here too.

I think there are some games worthy of 500 points, but not probably half of what we will get will be.

Ranger X said:
Based on what?
Value is totally subjective after all. When i see NES games outta here in Montreal selling at around 10$ on stores, i prefer to pay 5$ on the Wii, save money and also benefit from Component Cables clarity. SNES games and N64 games are also WAY MORE expensive than on the VC in stories here too.
Where abouts are you? here in the UK I've picked up games like goldeneye, mario 64 and OOT for £5 each, original carts.

*edit* On the VC they are around £7-8.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Marconelly said:
Technically, in terms of sound C64 games were leagues ahead of any NES game, and in terms of graphics they were arguably better too.
Maybe the Spectrum/other platform ports. Most Native C64 games were too bloody low res to be ahead of anything in terms of graphics ;P

Ok now that I made my inner Sinclair troll happy:
Many games were made like that yes, but tons and tons of them were made by teams of professionals as well.
To be fair though - one thing that I noticed when replaying most of those C64/Spectrum games from my childhood is that they were really, Really short. When people talk about few hours being short, what about games that you can play to completion in 10-20minutes (of course, those kind of designs were heavily influenced by arcades of the era - repeating often after dying gives the length, but total content is not much).

loosus

Banned
jarrod said:
Your way of thinking is no better. I think Crystalis is worth about $1 on the dot, but I actually like Mappy. So no, pricing by title isn't better.

Eiji

MidiSurf said:
Well at least M.U.L.E is well worth of 500 points... Oh and Nexus.

nexus_02.gif
DAY ONE.

Oh man Nexus!

I had soooo much fun with this game back in the 'early days', pissing off the guys and then making a run for the elevators :lol

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Actually, on average VC pricepoints are below used even (far below for TG16 especially). You might think prices need to be slashed universally, but market forces generally indicate otherwise.

loosus said:
Your way of thinking is no better. I think Crystalis is worth about $1 on the dot, but I actually like Mappy. So no, pricing by title isn't better.
Er... so how else should we arrive at pricing exactly? I don't see another solution really?

Per title pricing seems like (by far) the best route imo.

ethelred

jarrod said:
Actually, on average VC pricepoints are below used even (far below for TG16 especially). You might think prices need to be slashed universally, but market forces generally indicate otherwise.

That's not exactly what market forces indicate. An honest attempt to do a market comparison would also look at comparable digital distribution services -- and whether it's Xbox Live Arcade, PSN, or a rental service like GameTap, the Wii's price range is far above the norm. And while it's true that it's offering a greater quantity of options than, at least, the first two, that's not exactly a reality that gives the system carte blanche to be so high over the others in pricing. The fact that Virtual Console's sales are so anemic compared to these others is grounds in support of this. And sales are the ultimate arbiter of what the market is saying.

There's really absolutely no reason why the Virtual Console couldn't be offering the best lineup and still maintain a competitive pricing value (which it is absolutely not doing right now). But the service has, generally, been handled ineptly from the start... which is unfortunate given how much promise it had and still has. Hey, I've bought plenty of Virtual Console games myself, so I'm no stranger to the service... but I'd have bought even more if the prices were reasonable, and I'm sure many others would be, too. And I'd have bought more if there was a half-decent storage solution in the works. And if there were a greater variety/quantity of games being released regularly. Or if there were demos. Or if online play was made an option for multiplayer games (something possible in just about any emulator). And actually advertising the service wouldn't hurt for all the people who aren't even that on top of it.

loosus

Banned
jarrod said:
Er... so how else should we arrive at pricing exactly? I don't see another solution really?

Per title pricing seems like (by far) the best route imo.
I dunno...maybe just cut the motherfucking prices altogether? At least with, for example, the NES games all being cheaper than SNES games, there's a darn-near-objective reason (i.e., NES games are generally older, generally have less content, generally have worse graphics, etc.).

What you're proposing is ridiculous. Whereas the current system has SOME objectivity, your system would basically be "Well, I like this game, so make it a higher price."

Capndrake

From a person at the VC-Reviews (The site I work on) forums who's apparently on the team working on VC C64:

Each C64 joystick port is individually mapped to each Wii device (be that Wii Remote, Classic Controller, or GC Pad).

Most games will work with this alone in game, but obviously there are exceptions, such as menu selections, name entry, etc.

For this reason we have included a popup 'Virtual Keyboard'. It's toggled at the touch of a button and keystrokes are entered by pointing and clicking the Wii Remote.

I am a massive fan of the C64 myself, so it was essential that we got this right - I can assure you this solution does work very well.
http://www.vc-forums.com/showpost.php?p=51900&postcount=27

Enk

makes good threads.
!!!!!

This is badasss and everything but I wonder how the emulation would work. I mean the loading screen should be there but I'm guessing they'll find a way to just bypass it.

Apenheul said:
Heh, I wonder if these people bitching at the pricepoint ever really owned a C64 anyway. There were GREAT games on this platform and the SID music makes it all with it.

Yeah, I don't recognize alot of these names, but I agree somewhat. A lot of these games were pretty cheap back in the day and even today most of them have been considered abandonware. $3 would have been an ideal pricepoint but $5 isn't that bad either. I would gladly pay $5 for Myth only if it still has its loading screen music intact.

Broktune

Banned
Man, I don't know how old you guys are but back in the 80's (I'm 33) friends of mine used to have hundreds of c64 titles. None of them were bought from the store. Now, I don't know how they got them, but everyone I knew who owned a c64 never, ever, bought titles. They just had boxes and boxes full of floppys. Old pirates I guess.

There was one title I do remember and would buy in a heartbeat. It was a pretty cool boxing game where you could even use a Kangaroo as a character.

Flakster99

Ohhhh shit. Awesome, just awesome news! The C64 and me go way, way back, and the amount of software and good times we shared are absolutely priceless. There were many fun, genuine gaming experiences to be had, and I am greatly looking forward to replaying some of them with my feet up, chilling on my comfy couch. The Amiga can't be to far behind.

Capndrake said:
From a person at the VC-Reviews (The site I work on) forums who's apparently on the team working on VC C64:

Each C64 joystick port is individually mapped to each Wii device (be that Wii Remote, Classic Controller, or GC Pad).

Most games will work with this alone in game, but obviously there are exceptions, such as menu selections, name entry, etc.

For this reason we have included a popup 'Virtual Keyboard'. It's toggled at the touch of a button and keystrokes are entered by pointing and clicking the Wii Remote.

I am a massive fan of the C64 myself, so it was essential that we got this right - I can assure you this solution does work very well.

http://www.vc-forums.com/showpost.php?p=51900&postcount=27

:D

TiVo

PLEASE!!!!!!

Bruce Lee(summers spent in the house on this game me and my cousin).

The Last Ninja(isometric adventure game never finished because of bad disk).

Impossible Mission(Destroy him my robots/Stay a While, Stay Forever)

BC’s Quest for Tires

Sex Games(I can dream can't I)(the one with multiple people screwing each other, strip poker & the masturbation one). GOOD TIMES!!!

Summer, Winter & California Games(Weight Lifting, Surfing, etc.).

Maniac Manison, Zak McCracken, etc.

I also had hundreds of games that were never bought, never remember how I got them and a lot of 'em were "cracked" by someone.

Those were the days, loading games from tape cassettes.

Also remember a little bit of programming making sounds using poke & peek.

Damn I'm old.

ari

Banned
bad pricing, no way to defend that.

Broktune said:
There was one title I do remember and would buy in a heartbeat. It was a pretty cool boxing game where you could even use a Kangaroo as a character.
streets of rage 3?
jk

Koomaster

;_____; Little Computer People... do you remember me? It's been over 20 years, I hope you still remember me. I hope you are close by my side again; I miss our poker games! Remember how you taught me? Hope to see you soon! ;______;

ethelred said:
The Virtual Console pricing is really getting out of hand.
it was always out of hand.

people will always point out how they're just milking roms anyone with some brain capacity can get 'for free' and with save states, pause, rewind, fast forward, replay files, 2xSAI, SuperEagle, etc.

and it's true.

birdchili

most of the stuff i recall fondly would either be a sad gameplay shock (Alternate Reality - stay in the happy nostalgia zone where you belong), or would be really hard to play without a keyboard.

i might be tempted by a controller friendly version of Ultima 2, Legacy of the Ancients, or Seven Cities of Gold... but i'm not sure how easily they could be translated to a handful of buttons.

...and get back to me when the vc amiga is ready.

TiVo said:
PLEASE!!!!!!

Bruce Lee(summers spent in the house on this game me and my cousin).

The Last Ninja(isometric adventure game never finished because of bad disk).

Impossible Mission(Destroy him my robots/Stay a While, Stay Forever)

BC’s Quest for Tires

Sex Games(I can dream can't I)(the one with multiple people screwing each other, strip poker & the masturbation one). GOOD TIMES!!!

Summer, Winter & California Games(Weight Lifting, Surfing, etc.).

Maniac Manison, Zak McCracken, etc.

I also had hundreds of games that were never bought, never remember how I got them and a lot of 'em were "cracked" by someone.

Those were the days, loading games from tape cassettes.

Also remember a little bit of programming making sounds using poke & peek.

Damn I'm old.
Don't forget Spy vs. Spy!

GrayFoxPL

TiVo said:
PLEASE!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm sure Nintendo will make it a first c64 release and even slap big ass banner: "We screwed your ass now you have some fun!"

I don't believe the pricing is per game, I think it's per pack 4-5 games.

I was hoping I'd see C64 on psn. Wii owners are quite lucky.

Enk

makes good threads.
djtiesto said:
Never played C64 apart from maybe as a kid over friend's houses... then again, I have a faint recollection of it at best. This would be cool to try but what are some interesting games that actually hold up well? I hope we'll get some of the Ultima ports, at least...

I guess not many people here realize that the LOAD"*",8,1 thread is actually a C64 tribute thread. You can find plenty of game suggestions and much more information there.

Ranger X

Diablohead said:
Where abouts are you? here in the UK I've picked up games like goldeneye, mario 64 and OOT for £5 each, original carts.

*edit* On the VC they are around £7-8.

I'm in Canada. Specifically in Montreal. There's alot of game stores around and they are all fucking crooks with the prices on used games. Seriously, i wanted to buy some original games but i couldn't ever convince myself to pay those outrageous prices.
Thing is, you might find here and there a game that is at a good price on Ebay or something but most of the time when you add shipping and whatnot, you end up paying at least what you pay on the VC here.
At equal prices i also chose VC because i own an SDTV that can take Component Cables and honestly it makes the games look better than when i play them on their original consoles so...

ejdonk

I am buying NES games via ebay quite often and you get like 10 games for 15 Euro instead of paying 50 Euro.. and you even get all the fancy extras like the box or a manual..

No6

SovanJedi said:
That's cool, but personally I was an Amiga player. I'll wait for that stuff to arrive.
At least 50% of the worthwhile Amiga titles are owned by Sony.

If there's anything to get annoyed about (on top of pricing, usage, and all the other various flaws of VC), it's that the already sluggish release schedule is going to get even more bogged down with trash and we'll never see Pilotwings.

Jiggy

I'll withhold judgment on the pricing of C64 until I've gone and researched the library to figure out what I would buy and compared that to what I would buy if the games were at a lower price; I don't know much of anything about the system right now. But without having done that yet, I'm guessing that C64 will be more par for the course to me: the great games will be worth it, the bad and mediocre games won't, and it's mostly the "good" games that'll suffer from the pricing because I won't get off the fence. (This is generally my thinking for all games across the board, downloadable or retail.)

Top Bottom