• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

C64 channel coming to Virtual Console - Europe exclusive at the moment :P

old?

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=93203

Commodore 64 classics will be coming to the Wii's Virtual Console later this year, Nintendo has announced.

Available for 500 Wii Points (GBP 3.50/ EUR 5) a pop, all-time C64 favourites including Uridium and International Karate have been confirmed so far, with "regular updates" bolstering the line-up thereafter. Currently, the platform has only been confirmed for Europe - the legion of US C64 fans must wait patiently for now.

Originally released way back in 1982, the Commodore 64 went on to become the best-selling home computer of all-time, with 22 million units sold worldwide. Hugely popular across Europe and the United States, the C64 built up an incredible line-up of software, with well over 4,000 titles produced during its production lifetime (1982-1994).

In fact, you could say we saw this renaissance coming - back in October last year we launched our Retro channel and posted reviews of 50 of our favourite games on the system. Follow the magic blue words if you missed out and want to wallow in weepy '80s nostalgia.

Bala Keilman, CEO of Commodore Gaming, commented: "The massive impact the Commodore 64 had on video-gaming is still evident today with many gamers remembering the computer and its games with great fondness. By working with Nintendo of Europe, we are ensuring that future generations of gamers can play some of the best and most popular titles that kick-started the computer games revolution and so keep the C64 legacy in gamers hearts."

Laurent Fischer, Managing Director of European Marketing & PR of Nintendo Europe adds, "We are extremely pleased to be working with Commodore Gaming to provide even more retro hits for Wii owners to choose from on Virtual Console. We hope that this great choice of games will bring nostalgia to our gaming fans, while an entirely new generation of video game players can experience a host of classic games for the very first time."

As excited as we [Kristan - Ed] are, our eyes nearly popped out of our heads when we saw that Nintendo plans to charge 500 Points for the games. How much would you pay for them? Also, what other platforms would you like Nintendo to add? Spectrum? Amiga? Saturn?

ksamedi

WTF? This is great news. But one has to think why they make this exclusive for Europe. Give some take some I guess.

EDIT: Monkey Island is worth 500 points right?

ram said:
:lol WTF?

Yeah, seriously. I'm assuming they've gone with price parity of NES games. Which is pretty retarded if you ask me, and when they inevitably fail to sell many titles will blame lack of demand rather than over priced supply.

ram said:
:lol WTF?

Same price as NES/Master System games, all of which could be classed in the same "generation". If your problem is the pricing in general, fair enough, but 500 points is reasonable given the current structure.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
I remember this one time when I did a review for the C64 port of Metal Gear for a fansite.

It was not positive.

Cosmonaut X said:
Same price as NES/Master System games, all of which could be classed in the same "generation". If your problem is the pricing in general, fair enough, but 500 points is reasonable given the current structure.

Not really, thats like classifying PSN or XBLA titles with contemporary releases, just because they were released in the same time frame.

Most C64 titles were developed by one guy in his bedroom and frankly, in terms of overall polish it shows. If they were a hit, great, if they weren't it was just one guys hobbytime wasted.

Most NES games were created by dedicated teams of people for precise commercial benefit, and again - it shows, in terms of polish.

Dascu said:
Yeah. Who needs Sega Saturn when you've got Commodore 64.

Plenty of great C64 games were released. It'd be great to have both, but I don't see why - price aside - anyone should be sniffy about getting C64 on the VC.

fresquito

frankie_baby said:
wow £3.50 thats like the cost of a meal at mcdonalds, people are moaning, why???
Probably because you can get psx games at a similar price on PSN. I mean, this is pure abuse (not that it's not been like this for the VC since day one).

fresquito said:
Probably because you can get psx games at a similar price on PSN. I mean, this is pure abuse (not that it's not been like this for the VC since day one).

Yeah, and the US PSN store has tons of games to choose from... OH WAIT.

fresquito said:

maybe but we're still talkin small change here, in the great scheme of things the cost to put a c64 game on vc is probably similar to the cost of putting a ps1 game on psn, its not like the whole £3.50 is profit for nintendo, they'll need to pay commodore, the original publisher/developer, the retailers (for points bought in shops) all in all no ones really making much on any of these games

MrNyarlathotep said:
Not really, thats like classifying PSN or XBLA titles with contemporary releases, just because they were released in the same time frame.

Most C64 titles were developed by one guy in his bedroom and frankly, in terms of overall polish it shows. If they were a hit, great, if they weren't it was just one guys hobbytime wasted.

Most NES games were created by dedicated teams of people for precise commercial benefit, and again - it shows, in terms of polish.

it'll probably be the better and more polished titles that appear on vc

epmode

Oh god I want this. AMERICANS LIKE THE C64 TOO.

Now people will hear the glory of the SID chip without me having to convince them to download a Winamp plugin.

acm2000

what a fucking joke, the games actually cost more than most did new back in the day, people moan at MS pricing, but nintendo taking not only the biscuit, but the whole fucking biscuit making factory

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
My god people are defending the price point, Nintendo can do no wrong.

fresquito

frankie_baby said:
maybe but we're still talkin small change here, in the great scheme of things the cost to put a c64 game on vc is probably similar to the cost of putting a ps1 game on psn, its not like the whole £3.50 is profit for nintendo, they'll need to pay commodore, the original publisher/developer, the retailers (for points bought in shops) all in all no ones really making much on any of these games
To be honest, I don't care about their benefit. All I know is that PSX classics follow this same suit, yet their production values are not only higher, they're like hundred of thousands higher.

You have to kid yourself to believe a NES game retailing at the same price than a PSX game is fair, but come on, we're talking garage development here. It's the damn C64. You're making me pay 5 euros for a garage game from 25 years ago?

fresquito said:
To be honest, I don't care about their benefit. All I know is that PSX classics follow this same suit, yet their production values are not only higher, they're like hundred of thousands higher.

You have to kid yourself to believe a NES game retailing at the same price than a PSX game is fair, but come on, we're talking garage development here. It's the damn C64. You're making me pay 5 euros for a garage game from 25 years ago?

i dont think international karate was a garage game

MidiSurf

Banned
Well at least M.U.L.E is well worth of 500 points... Oh and Nexus.

nexus_02.gif
DAY ONE.

nightside

Joseph Merrick said:
The price is just ridiculous and they should just shitbin c64 altogether if they can't go lower. No one is going to buy this.

oh, you know you're wrong...the price is ridiculous but still people will pay in the wave of the nostalgia for the "good'ol days":lol

pswii60

500 Points!? £3.50?

Many of these games were £1.99 new back in the day, 20-25 years on and they're £3.50!? Not to mention they are like up to 48kb in size max.

And, you can play most of them for free and many in a browser!

test_account said:
I just checked Ebay.co.uk and found 305 auctions that contains original C64 games that are cheaper than £2.00. I chose £2.00 since i wanted to factor in shipping as well. Some might charge alittle more in shipping so it exceeds £3.50 though, but i doubt all of these seller does it.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sea...ice=1&saprclo=0&saprchi=2&fsop=3&fsoo=2&fgtp=

I'm not complaining though, its up to each person if he or she wants to buy a VC games, but £3.50 for a C64 game is indeed a pretty steep price in my opinion.

I sold 150 original C64 games on eBay together for £15 total back in 2001. They were just taking up space, but they included the likes of Hunchback, Hawkeye, Dizzy and Uridium.

fresquito said:
It's the damn C64. You're making me pay 5 euros for a garage game from 25 years ago?
Then, uh, don't?

I'm not sure what the problem is here. Those that want it and are okay with the price will pay it. Those that aren't, won't.

fresquito

ShockingAlberto said:
Then, uh, don't?

I'm not sure what the problem is here. Those that want it and are okay with the price will pay it. Those that aren't, won't.
The problem arises when you factor the option "I want, but not at rape price".

test_account

XP-39C²
Haunted One said:
You keep a C64 around in your living room? Nice.

Nah, its in its box home at my parents place, i havnt moved it over to my place yet. I have never really been that into C64. I've made a few SIDs (music) and played a few games, thats pretty much it. I didnt have a C64 when i was a kid either. But still it doesnt change the fact that £3.50 for a C64 ROM file is expencive compared to what many of the original games cost.

I'm not complaining, its up to each person if he or she wants to buy a VC games, but £3.50 for a C64 game is indeed a pretty steep price in my opinion. Its good that they introduce C64 through the VC console though :)

camineet

Banned
Since Europe gets a c64 channel, that opens up the thought of a future Amiga channel.

Also, I hope Japan gets X68000 and FM Towns channels :D

Top Bottom