• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabal me excited - Destiny 2 Gameplay today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midas

Not excited for Destiny 2 after getting locked out of features I had already paid for in the first game when I didn't buy a DLC "expansion."

Just blows my mind that people are excited to once again pay for a fraction of the game at launch only to enjoy it for ~3 months before they will need to pay up in order to keep playing all the modes originally available at launch.

Especially not hyped when you add in the lack of dedicated servers in a game that wants you to always be playing with other players and can only be played when you have an internet connection.

I think it's amazing to know that there will be more content coming a while after the release. Of course I'm excited to pay for more content to play in the coming months.

Not excited for Destiny 2 after getting locked out of features I had already paid for in the first game when I didn't buy a DLC "expansion."

Just blows my mind that people are excited to once again pay for a fraction of the game at launch only to enjoy it for ~3 months before they will need to pay up in order to keep playing all the modes originally available at launch.

Especially not hyped when you add in the lack of dedicated servers in a game that wants you to always be playing with other players and can only be played when you have an internet connection.

Don't really understand this line of thinking. You're buying a game that you know is meant to continue for years, not months. Of course you're gonna have to pay for more stuff in the future, even updated features that were present in the base game.

I was excited to play the game I got. I thought it was amazing. Then I was glad when more content was added. The amount of time I put in the game, and the enjoyment I got out of the game, was well worth the price of admission(s).

Calibos

I am ready to throw money at the screen.

Hope they kill the RNG Grind and switch to a full fledged crafting system.

They could have Borderlands style gun loot system in the wild and breaking down that gear allows for crafting other guns.

...and make the Tower optional. I always felt that having to go back to the Tower to get a new mission was kinda immersion breaking.

...and have merchants and wandering NPCs on planets...

...and...make it good!

duhmetree

If everyone doesn't get hyped everyone will be impressed.

Same. I'm hoping that when I play for the first time I'll be like: Wow, this is a new game. With 1000 people having worked on it, I think it will.

How much of crippling factor was last gen? Going from 512MB to 8GB. 3 architectures to 1.

Can't wait.

Midas

I am ready to throw money at the screen.

Hope they kill the RNG Grind and switch to a full fledged crafting system.

They could have Borderlands style gun loot system in the wild and breaking down that gear allows for crafting other guns.

...and make the Tower optional. I always felt that having to go back to the Tower to get a new mission was kinda immersion breaking.

...and have merchants and wandering NPCs on planets...

...and...make it good!

They basically removed the RNG with Rise of Iron, unfortunately. It's a safe bet that there will be even less RNG in Destiny 2. Want an exotic? Sure, run this simple mission and it's yours.

MrS

Banned
They basically removed the RNG with Rise of Iron, unfortunately. It's a safe bet that there will be even less RNG in Destiny 2. Want an exotic? Sure, run this simple mission and it's yours.
This is a good thing. Bungie should value the time of its players. Make the missions that grant good weapons tough but rewarding, like the mission for the Black Spindle.

SkylineRKR

Not holding my breath for a decent storyline. The trailer was loot, loot and loot.

Gameplay will no doubt be okay and if the PvP is a better version of year 1 Destiny 1 then the game is worth it.

Midas

This is a good thing. Bungie should value the time of its players. Make the missions that grant good weapons tough but rewarding, like the mission for the Black Spindle.

I don't agree. But more Black Spindle missions, please.

Don't really understand this line of thinking. You're buying a game that you know is meant to continue for years, not months. Of course you're gonna have to pay for more stuff in the future, even updated features that were present in the base game.

Yeah, tell that to games like Rainbow Six Siege and Titanfall 2. Oh, and did you read about EA's upcoming Star Wars Battlefront 2? How about Rocket League or Uncharted 4? It's absolutely false that one must pay extra to receive new content for a game they already paid for.

That aside, I'm not complaining about new content costing money. I'm pointing out that Bungie removed the ability to choose individual previously-existing Crucible game types if you didn't buy their first DLC, instead replacing it with one option that mixed all game modes into one playlist until you paid for the DLC. It's a shitty practice that will probably return for the second game.

I'm glad you're ready to pay $60 for the privilege of accessing the game, then $30 for the first "expansion pass," then another $30 to $40 in 2018 to keep up, then another $30-40 in 2019. Not to mention the content that will inevitably get locked behind pre-orders for the 2018 and 2019 re-releases. Oh and don't forget the emotes you won't get unless you cough up extra through microtransactions.

And as an aside: if you're playing on console, make sure you keep that $60 online subscription renewed while you're at it.

Edit: added more successful game examples.

Trace

Banned
Yeah, tell that to games like Rainbow Six Siege and Titanfall 2. Oh, and did you read about EA's upcoming Star Wars Battlefront 2? It's absolutely false that one must pay extra to receive new content for a game they already paid for.

Are you implying those games don't have DLC? Because they do. Also Destiny DLC in general is far more substantial than any of those, they're closer to what used to be considered expansions. They removed the ability to choose which old game mode you could play because no one would have been playing the majority of the game modes, because most of the players that continued playing would have bought the DLC, so they mixed in all the game modes so it would still have enough of a population.

Loved destiny gameplay, but I am hoping for a looooot more loot drops this time. The main reason I gave up on destiny was that a loot based game didn't have enough variety in its design to make me come back.

Are you implying those games don't have DLC? Because they do. Also Destiny DLC in general is far more substantial than any of those, they're closer to what used to be considered expansions.

I am certainly not implying that those games don't have DLC. My point was that those games have all released new game modes and maps for free; those games haven't changed the way they work for people who don't have the DLC.

When I didn't buy the first DLC for Destiny, I suddenly had less Crucible game type playlists because Bungie updated the game to cater to those who paid for their expansion DLC.

You say that Bungie consolidated non-DLC player's playlist options to increase the playerbase for all the original game types? Why not just give everyone access to the same modes and content so that they don't have to resort to locking people out of the options they were originally promised (and given) when they paid for the game?

hydruxo

I'm excited. I don't really know what to expect from this gameplay reveal, hope it wows us but I do want to keep expectations tempered. I think I'm most excited because they aren't held back by last gen with this. There's so much potential.

Yeah, tell that to games like Rainbow Six Siege and Titanfall 2. Oh, and did you read about EA's upcoming Star Wars Battlefront 2? How about Rocket League or Uncharted 4? It's absolutely false that one must pay extra to receive new content for a game they already paid for.

That aside, I'm not complaining about new content costing money. I'm pointing out that Bungie removed the ability to choose individual previously-existing Crucible game types if you didn't buy their first DLC, instead replacing it with one option that mixed all game modes into one playlist until you paid for the DLC. It's a shitty practice that will probably return for the second game.

I'm glad you're ready to pay $60 for the privilege of accessing the game, then $30 for the first "expansion pass," then another $30 to $40 in 2018 to keep up, then another $30-40 in 2019. Not to mention the content that will inevitably get locked behind pre-orders for the 2018 and 2019 re-releases. Oh and don't forget the emotes you won't get unless you cough up extra through microtransactions.

And as an aside: if you're playing on console, make sure you keep that $60 online subscription renewed while you're at it.

Edit: added more successful game examples.

These are all really stupid things to complain about for a game like this lol. Like, extremely stupid.

(Why the fuck do people care about emotes so much? My God lmao)

urge26

Happy to be one of those that blow your mind. For the thousands of hours of entertainment, bringing me closer to my friends, making new friends, and being part of the community I give you this:

Money-out-the-window-1.gif

Nameless

Hoping for more robust customization options all around from characters to gear. Also more PvE content in the way of quests, an expanded Patrol mode, a legit horde mode/arena, and more unique wrinkles like the Court of Oryx. Both my stints with Destiny ended with me having nothing left to do but chase raid gear.

duhmetree

I am certainly not implying that those games don't have DLC. My point was that those games have all released new game modes and maps for free; those games haven't changed the way they work for people who don't have the DLC.

When I didn't buy the first DLC for Destiny, I suddenly had less Crucible game type playlists because Bungie updated the game to cater to those who paid for their expansion DLC.

When was the last time you actually played Destiny? You're talking about something that took place in 2014....

You're also comparing predominantly PvP games with a co-op PvE game. Their 'major' PvE drops do cost money, as they should. Their live-team then releases updates after that.

Trace

Banned

You say that Bungie consolidated non-DLC player's playlist options to increase the playerbase for all the original game types? Why not just give everyone access to the same modes and content so that they don't have to resort to locking people out of the options they were originally promised when they paid for the game?

Because they want you to buy the DLC, plain and simple. They aren't going to give you content for free that they're selling, and the only reason EA is switching to having more "free" content is because they were splitting the community between those who would buy it and a large number who wouldn't.

Destiny doesn't have that problem because the entire community moves to the new content. The way that gear and weapon progression works forces that.

Hoping for more robust customization options all around from characters to gear. Also more PvE content in the way of quests, an expanded Patrol mode, a legit horde mode/arena, and more unique wrinkles like the Court of Oryx. Both my stints with Destiny ended with me having nothing left to do but chase raid gear.

Agreed on this. I do think that Age of Triumph helped a bit in that regards, if we could get that level of content/customization in Destiny 2 vanilla I'd be happy.

Can't remember if I've said this here before, but I've got big predictions for this game:

Destiny 2 is going to be BIG. I don't even mean just sales wise, I mean this is a game that is going to be amazing and blow the collective gaming community away. I think we have another GTA V coming.

Destiny showed major promise, and despite a mediocre launch, the game has received a ton of praise for the improvements Bungie's made since Year 1.

Destiny 2 was delayed a year, they are polishing the hell out of this game. This game is going to be big.

Midas

Can't remember if I've said this here before, but I've got big predictions for this game:

Destiny 2 is going to be BIG. I don't even mean just sales wise, I mean this is a game that is going to be amazing and blow the collective gaming community away. I think we have another GTA V coming.

Destiny showed major promise, and despite a mediocre launch, the game has received a ton of praise for the improvements Bungie's made since Year 1.

Destiny 2 was delayed a year, they are polishing the hell out of this game. This game is going to be big.

Maybe even big in areas to explore. Shinobi wrote way back that the playable area on Saturn would be bigger than all the areas we have today, combined.

Tistru

We all know how great the core gameplay and gunplay was in Destiny but one of my favorite aspects of Destiny was the art quality. The environments looked incredible and even now looks great despite the low quality last gen assets and effects. The thing I'm most excited about is how Destiny will look with last gen (PS3/X360) finally left behind and using the 8GB memory and modern day GPU tech as a baseline. Bungie's art with the extra RAM and huge bump in GPU power has me salivating with the prospects. Hopefully they don't let us down.

Let's not even talk about what Destiny 2 in 4k and HDR could look like on PC and console refreshes (PS4 Pro and Scorpio)...can't wait!!!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why is Uncharted 4 30FPS if MGSV can be 60FPS?

Different games, different design, different rendering load.

Because neither of those is anything like Destiny? That's like asking why isn't The Witcher 3 60 FPS on console.

What? They are all shooters. Multiplayer shooters. Let's not put Destiny on a pedastal. Its pvp maps are tiny compared to Titanfall and BF1. CoD has been 60 fps for a decade now. As for PVE stuff, Destiny's Public areas arent bigger than BF1's conquest maps and they load in areas in the background as you go through the matchmaking zones.

And Uncharted 4 mp is 60 fps. If Destiny 2 is 30 fps, it will be the only multiplayer FPS on the market that's not targeting 60 fps on consoles. i am struggling to think of another multiplayer FPS that's not 60 fps.

For the record, i am not asking for Horizon quality graphics. BF1 and CoD look spectacular and run at 60 fps. thats good enough for me.

EDIT: OMG i forgot about Battlefront lol. It's 60 fps and looks like this.

1462699473883868450.gif

Really? I played BF1 too and that didn't always work for me. I thought the net code for that game was one of the worst and I was there at launch but haven't touched the game since the intital month it was released. Game just bored the hell out of my friends and I. Fastest we have dropped a BF game ever.

I have over 1000 hours in Destiny and am ready to put another 1000 in Destiny 2. So, so hyped for this game.

I only started playing after thanksgiving and havent had any issues with lag until recently but that's expected since the population is segregated thanks to DLC maps. The game has super responsive controls unlike BF3 and BF4, the hit detection is superb and you wont get ghost hit markers like you did in every game going back to BFBC2.

I was excited about Destiny 2 until last week when i started playing BF1 again and it reminded me how simple it was to unlock guns in the game. I must have put in like 700 hours into destiny and most of it was spent chasing exotic guns that simply wouldnt drop for me. i am so done with the grind to get ready for raids and weapons.

LTWood12

I'm excited

Is there a section of the raid that is just straight Paper Boy gameplay, but like you're on a sparrow and having to throw bombs at targets while moving but also one of those crazy-ass dog things from the reveal trailer runs out and you have to dodge it?

Trace

Banned
What? They are all shooters. Multiplayer shooters. Let's not put Destiny on a pedastal. Its pvp maps are tiny compared to Titanfall and BF1. CoD has been 60 fps for a decade now. As for PVE stuff, Destiny's Public areas arent bigger than BF1's conquest maps and they load in areas in the background as you go through the matchmaking zones.

And Uncharted 4 mp is 60 fps. If Destiny 2 is 30 fps, it will be the only multiplayer FPS on the market that's not targeting 60 fps on consoles. i am struggling to think of another multiplayer FPS that's not 60 fps.

For the record, i am not asking for Horizon quality graphics. BF1 and CoD look spectacular and run at 60 fps. thats good enough for me.

I only started playing after thanksgiving and havent had any issues with lag until recently but that's expected since the population is segregated thanks to DLC maps. The game has super responsive controls unlike BF3 and BF4, the hit detection is superb and you wont get ghost hit markers like you did in every game going back to BFBC2.

I was excited about Destiny 2 until last week when i started playing BF1 again and it reminded me how simple it was to unlock guns in the game. I must have put in like 700 hours into destiny and most of it was spent chasing exotic guns that simply wouldnt drop for me. i am so done with the grind to get ready for raids and weapons.

Given your last statement, it sounds like Destiny just isn't for you, because that's why we play the game. If I wanted to play a 60 FPS tight multiplayer bland shooter, there's plenty of them out there. The craziness of Destiny is why I play it, and I really doubt they could put it out at 60 FPS and give an appreciable jump in graphics at the same time. And given how good Destiny plays at 30 FPS, I would take the graphics jump every time.

broony

Just been reading through some of the destiny hype / alpha / beta threads. Good times. Hype is on for d2. Not sure what I'm hoping for.

duhmetree

That extra year was used to get the engine to boot up on Bungie's computers, wasn't it?

Which was necessary... It's typically poor business when you continually under supply the demand.

The thirst for content was/is staggering. Hopefully, now they have the foundation in place to meet that demand.

Van Bur3n

Hopefully the first game was enough of a learning experience for this one to turn out well. Taken King had already shown Bungie was going into a better direction. Let's hope they keep going that way and it turns out good.

Pretty sure it's going to be fucking amazing.

I'm thinking it'll be like Halo 2 or Halo 3 levels of improvement upon the previous entry.

edit: oh hey Luke, can't wait to see your game :D

GlamFM

Banned
Really hope they bring RNG back.

At least a little.

TTK broke more than it fixed in my book.

3oC being an especially dumb idea.

duhmetree

Anyone else want that Y1 music feel? I'm hoping they can recreate that without Marty.

Everytime I hear that music..... the feels man..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom