• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabal me excited - Destiny 2 Gameplay today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waldini

NothingCompares2U.PNG

dead2.gif

Loot cave being the most social aspect of Destiny at launch was such a good memory. Got a Midas Multi Tool from that, a gun which would become one my most used all the way up until I stopped during The Taken King.

the fact that everybody wanted more doesn't mean there was a lack of content. it's amazing that a game with as much to do as d1 can get criticized for this while universally praised games like uncharted get away with 20 hour campaigns and tacked on multiplayer. if people don't like the idea of destiny's gameplay loop, then that's fine, but that's an argument about quality, not quantity. if you loved destiny and played enough to where you were running out of things to do, then i have a hard time believing you didn't get $60 worth of entertainment out of it.

and i don't doubt that you played and loved destiny. many of the most hardcore players are the loudest complainers around. so many people just can't accept that something they love doesn't have to be perfect.

Destiny, for better or worse, is a game that will get compared on content not to a standard 60 dollar console game, but to other MMO type games. If you compare what is in Destiny to say what is in Guild Wars 2, another game that cost 60 dollars, the difference is staggering.

If you compare to a game like WoW (which admittedly has a sub) the difference is just astronomical. Every wow expansion has massively more content than all of Destiny 1 and its expansions put together. Now I realize making content for an old MMO is much easier than for a modern AAA game, but I think people had those kind of expectations on content for Destiny. I think people aren't quite expecting that now that we know how Destiny operates. But as I said at the beginning here, people are certainly looking for much much more than another Destiny expansion repackaged. And if that's what gets delivered, it is going to get ugly.

I mean look at this post directly above yours:

Lack of content and rng bullshit will kill my hype. I hope every God damn reviewer/previewer goes ham on complaints people had with vanilla destiny.

My understanding is they got better with patches and expansions, but that's one game after many years I need to see what the new game is like

This is the attitude that will prevail, not yours.

Anyway, I guess there's no point to continuing this, we will find out in a few hours what the truth of these "leaks" is.

Which is your favorite weapon in Destiny 1? I have to say Fatebringer. It was a monster before the nerf.

Hand cannons in general before they were nerfed. I used The Last Word and The Devil you Know a lot.

Other ones I used a ton were Mida, Hung Jury, Suros Regime, Zhalo, and the Swords.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think it's that weird to opt turning Saturn's moons into Jupiter's moons if you want to make it super clear this is a new location compared to Destiny 1 even in the most casual of conversations.

Destiny, for better or worse, is a game that will get compared on content not to a standard 60 dollar console game, but to other MMO type games. If you compare what is in Destiny to say what is in Guild Wars 2, another game that cost 60 dollars, the difference is staggering.

If you compare to a game like WoW (which admittedly has a sub) the difference is just astronomical. Every wow expansion has massively more content than all of Destiny 1 and its expansions put together. Now I realize making content for an old MMO is much easier than for a modern AAA game, but I think people had those kind of expectations on content for Destiny. I think people aren't quite expecting that now that we know how Destiny operates. But as I said at the beginning here, people are certainly looking for much much more than another Destiny expansion repackaged. And if that's what gets delivered, it is going to get ugly.

it's going to get "ugly" in the sense of things that don't matter. it will sell like crazy, and will be insanely popular, even if it's exactly like d1. people will always rage about this series, that is already a given. it doesn't matter. it's just something people like you will use against bungie to vent your own frustrations. people did the same thing for destiny. they tried to pretend like bungie had screwed up big time or something, when in reality bungie had created a smash hit that an insane amount of people were loving.

like i said, concern trolling. you're pretending like you care about backlash that bungie might get, when really you're just preparing to be part of it

mcrommert

Banned
S U R O S R E G I M E

the one that reigns supreme

Before suros and auto rifles were nerfed into oblivion was my favorite time with the pvp on destiny...that first weekend that players bought suros from xur and you heard that wonderful sound all around

Now all guns feel bad :(

Anyway, I guess there's no point to continuing this, we will find out in a few hours what the truth of these "leaks" is.
Vanillas destiny entire content was lacking even for a modern shooter. The campaign was half assed, there weren't that many maps, multiplayer was extremely limited, and the hub world was a bore.

I don't play mmos. But coming in to that much content only to be asked to repeat it over and over again and making me keep playing by having to redo the same couple of missions to eventually get good enough to do the raid?

Like I said I'm judging entirely based off vanilla destiny where plenty had this mindset and to assume we are comparing to mmos is a bit much. I'm even comparing it to other Bungie outings. I never felt such a lack of content from previous halo games. At least the multiplayer had tools for user generated content so I could have fun with those.

Hold on Glam ...

What about ...

- Getting your first Exotic?
- Finishing that Y1 Vanilla Nightfall the first time?
- Geting the Gjallarhorn?
- Getting the Icebreaker?
- Beating VoG?
- Getting Flawless Raider?
- Beating Crota?
- Clutching a win?

All those feelings ...

getting to the Lighthouse for the first time, such a rush for me and two buddies who had been practising and playing every weekend of Trials together. Widow's Court, Thorns everywhere. Never forget.

it's going to get "ugly" in the sense of things that don't matter. it will sell like crazy, and will be insanely popular, even if it's exactly the d1. people will always rage about this series, that is already a given. it doesn't matter. it's just something people like you will use against bungie to vent your own frustrations. people did the same thing for destiny. they tried to pretend like bungie had screwed up big time or something, when in reality bungie had created a smash hit that an insane amount of people were loving.

like i said, concern trolling. you're pretending like you care about backlash that bungie might get, when really you're just preparing to be part of it

Whatever you say man. I wasn't part of it last time, and I don't intend to be this time. The people that are going to be loudest aren't going to be the hardcore like you said, it's the drive-byes that played Destiny for 3 day, got "burned" and then have not looked at it again but have shit on it ever since.

Sure maybe it doesn't matter in the long run, but I just hope Bungie has done something with Destiny 2 that will fully end that narrative. What I read in Shinobi's info from a while back would be more likely to do that than what these new leaks say.

nowai

Just catching up....so did this latest rumor say 30fps on consoles?

This was from the leak last night:

tcvc.png

For grins, I asked about the console/PC shared accounts:

vcvc.png

Who know if it's true, but if console is only 30fps, I really hope we get the cross platform accounts ASAP so I can play with my PS4 buds. I can't not play 60fps on my PC...sigh.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Any idea what reddit user he's referring to?
There's a reddit rumor including:
- PC version is Battle.net
- PvP is four player
- Basic PvE teams are four player, wasn't sure on raid count
- Same three classes, but totally redone sub-classes
- You have two primaries now, one regular damage, one Elemental
- The base locations are theee Jupiter moons and Earth, but they're much bigger zones than the first game
- Game has way more content than Destiny 1 both before and after level 20
- Heavy machine guns removed in favor of grenade launchers
- New weapon type they didn't want to spoil
- Your sparrow unlocks after you beat the game
- Looking for group tools of some kind for end game, didn't specify what
- I believe they thought it was 30 FPS but wasn't positive
- I can't remember if there was anything else, someone here probably remembers

Vanillas destiny entire content was lacking even for a modern shooter. The campaign was half assed, there weren't that many maps, multiplayer was extremely limited, and the hub world was a bore.

I don't play mmos. But coming in to that much content only to be asked to repeat it over and over again and making me keep playing by having to redo the same couple of missions to eventually get good enough to do the raid?

Like I said I'm judging entirely based off vanilla destiny where plenty had this mindset and to assume we are comparing to mmos is a bit much. I'm even comparing it to other Bungie outings. I never felt such a lack of content from previous halo games. At least the multiplayer had tools for user generated content so I could have fun with those.

completely preposterous. between the "story" missions, strikes, pvp, and raid, there was a huge amount of content compared to most modern shooters. it's not even close/ you can argue that it was too repetitive for your liking, but that does not mean there was a lack of content.

completely preposterous. between the "story" missions, strikes, pvp, and raid, there was a huge amount of content compared to most modern shooters. it's not even close/ you can argue that it was too repetitive for your liking, but that does not mean there was a lack of content.
You know what, you're completely right. Shooters as a whole lack content and rely on multiplayer. Halo 3 having user created content and variation with multiplayer doesn't make up for everybody else. I take that back. But its structure was still extremely repetitive.

Whatever you say man. I wasn't part of it last time, and I don't intend to be this time. The people that are going to be loudest aren't going to be the hardcore like you said, it's the drive-byes that played Destiny for 3 day, got "burned" and then have not looked at it again but have shit on it ever since.

Sure maybe it doesn't matter in the long run, but I just hope Bungie has done something with Destiny 2 that will fully end that narrative. What I read in Shinobi's info from a while back would be more likely to do that than what these new leaks say.

why are you pretending to care about irrelevant narratives so much? people will complain about destiny 2, no matter what it ends up being. that is the nature of shooters in general, and this game will always hear it a little more because some people felt burned by pre-launch stuff years ago. it is what it is.

There's a reddit rumor including:
- PC version is Battle.net
- PvP is four player
- Basic PvE teams are four player, wasn't sure on raid count
- Same three classes, but totally redone sub-classes
- You have two primaries now, one regular damage, one Elemental
- The base locations are theee Jupiter moons and Earth, but they're much bigger zones than the first game
- Game has way more content than Destiny 1 both before and after level 20
- Heavy machine guns removed in favor of grenade launchers
- New weapon type they didn't want to spoil
- Your sparrow unlocks after you beat the game
- Looking for group tools of some kind for end game, didn't specify what
- I believe they thought it was 30 FPS but wasn't positive
- I can't remember if there was anything else, someone here probably remembers

Huh... I guess we'll see soon enough if that info is real. All of that sounds good to me though!

Dreathlock

I dont believe the 30fps leak.

How can you show a 30fps PS4 version with exclusive content next to a 60fps pc version?

The difference would be astronomical.

Besides its 2017.

why are you pretending to care about irrelevant narratives so much? people will complain about destiny 2, no matter what it ends up being. that is the nature of shooters in general, and this game will always hear it a little more because some people felt burned by pre-launch stuff years ago. it is what it is.

You're right, I really shouldn't care. But it just gets so annoying hearing it for years every time Destiny is being discussed "wait, people still play Destiny?" "I'll never trust Bungie again" etc.

Z3M0G

Hold on Glam ...

What about ...

- Beating VoG?
- Beating Crota?
- Clutching a win?

All those feelings ...

LOL % of player base that actually did more than the first item on the list?

Hold on Glam ...

What about ...

- Beating VoG?
- Beating Crota?
- Clutching a win?

All those feelings ...

Beating aksis and oryx solo for the first time shits all over that in my book, nothing comes even close to the feeling of achieving that.

void666

Banned
The weapon slots changes make sense to me. Everything that kills in one hit is now in the same slot. Having two primaries allows these weapons to be more specialized. Sounds good.

Wishlistfor today
-60 fps
-Substantial quality/quantity content upgrade over vanilla
-serious approach to pvp, dedis, etc
-focus on new, new planets, enemies, gun types, classes, abilities
-exotics that are just a step or two below in uniqueness and power vs Y1 but better than the super niche stuff we got in subsequent years
-more varied sound/visual/animation reload design on the guns, why does my legendary suros act as a reskin outside of firerate as a cydonia?

Hoping outside of the gun play, movement, obvious returning locations/characters, etc, that there is minimal overlap from D1. Gonna be incredibly bummed if I see gameplay of some dude playing a prettier D1 while shooting shooting the same cabal only now with a glowing shield and the same old autorifles with a different manufacturer sticker on it. That was all of D1 and it's expansions, let's see some new shit.

Kyoufu

Besides its 2017.

I hear the industry still make 30fps games in 2017.

I'd love 60fps but if it's 30 I wouldn't be shocked.

Why would the game cover influence the player count in the game or vice versa?

Is there any reason why they'd only have 3 Guardians on the cover and promo material when you can have 4 in the fireteam?

I guess you could see it as a representation of the 3 classes being retained from Destiny 1, but if they were going for 4-man fireteams then adding a new class would have been nice.

I dont believe the 30fps leak.

How can you show a 30fps PS4 version with exclusive content next to a 60fps pc version?

The difference would be astronomical.

Besides its 2017.

Tons of games have done this? Also, the year has no bearing on framerate a game runs at or what technical considerations stem from its gameplay and engine systems - Destiny 1 was 30fps and sold very well.

molnizzle

I expected Destiny 2 (and other Activision properties) to eventually move to Battle.net back when it was called Battle.net. Renaming it "Blizzard App" makes me think that it's not gonna happen.

nOoblet16

Tons of games have done this? Also, the year has no bearing on framerate a game runs at or what technical considerations stem from its gameplay and engine systems - Destiny 1 was 30fps and sold very well.
I really love the "It's *insert whatever year it is* rhetoric" to make any argument. It's so damn pointless lol

I expected Destiny 2 (and other Activision properties) to eventually move to Battle.net back when it was called Battle.net. Renaming it "Blizzard App" makes me think that it's not gonna happen.

Yeah, I'm actually surprised they didn't make it Activision app and move COD and stuff there too. I'm still hoping Destiny 2 shows up on Steam.

Toni

I'm going to be pissed if the game is indeed Earth focused.

Earth focused is a huge plus for me. We barely get to see the what exactly halpened to earth after technological advancements change it, we essentially have been to no earth cities, we havent been to popular earth landmarks/cities like New York, etc.

There is so much they can do with an Earth focused game.

nowai

Seriously, the majority of big budget games release at 30fps on console and then run at 60fps on PC.

Drewboy64

I actually still have the page up from last night:

Thanks for sharing. It'll be pretty disappointing of those are the only 4 areas we get to visit. I'm at hoping at least that we'll be able to see multiple locations on Earth all around the world, but if this leak is right, it'll just be the European deadzone.

jschreier

I don't know how much of that leak is true (or old) but one thing I'll say is that the anonymous Reddit/4chan leaks that seem the most boring are usually the ones that turn out to be real...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom