• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cadence of Hyrule (Crypt of the Necrodancer devs) releases June 13th; new E3 trailer; $24.99

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

I know this isn't a megaton or anything, but this remains one of my most-anticipated Switch games, and I only have to wait a few months a few days to try it!

Release date: June 13th, 2019
Price: $24.99.
Platform: Nintendo Switch

Official Nintendo eShop website is here.

9XNww4h.gif

7kuEHRY.gif

BWuUsYg.gif

(if you're wondering why the movement is herky-jerky, Crypt of the Necrodancer is a rhythm-roguelike. Movment takes place on a grid and each turn must be done on the beat to maintain your combo chain. Cadence of Hyrule appears to work the same way)

Last edited:

peronmls

So why are they jumping? Reminds me a bit of Megaman Starforce but doesn’t actually seem to add anything to the gameplay... okay. Just watched it a second time? Does it go with the music? Is that it? If so, NOW it reminds me of Rhythm Heaven for DS and Wii.

Last edited:
So why are they jumping? Reminds me a bit of Megaman Starforce but doesn’t actually seem to add anything to the gameplay... okay. Just watched it a second time? Does it go with the music? Is that it? If so, NOW it reminds me of Rhythm Heaven for DS and Wii.

Kotaku has a good hands on impressions vid they just put out that does a good job of explaining how the game is played. Lots of new footage of the game to.

-Minsc-

Since it's a rhythm game it would mean they are not jumping but dancing. :)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Love Zelda, but didn't like Crypt of the Necrodancer at all, so will have to stay strong and not buy this out of IP love.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Glad for this. I normally buy anything Zelda but this gave me pause so I can at least try out the original game dirt cheap to see how I like it.
Does it have the same non-rythm mode that Necrodancer has?
Love Zelda, but didn't like Crypt of the Necrodancer at all, so will have to stay strong and not buy this out of IP love.
I'm playing it, and so far it does have the Necrodancer mechanics, but it seems WAYYYY less of a part of the game.

Once you clear out a screen, you can move freely
This has more of an over world map, dungeons etc

TBH it feels more like a Zelda spin off more than it feels like a Necrodancer game; kind of like a mash up between an adventure game and Necrodancer

I'd definitely recommend this game in general

tldr; it's less Necrodancer and more Zelda, play it

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing it, and so far it does have the Necrodancer mechanics, but it seems WAYYYY less of a part of the game.

TBH it feels more like a Zelda spin off more than it feels like a Necrodancer game; kind of like a mash up between an adventure game and Necrodancer

Thanks for the impressions.

That puts it back on my radar, but only during some future drought and if it’s $10 or less. I’m drowning in things to play through next summer at the least.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

This sounds great! I'm a huge fan of Necrodancer, but Necrodancer still exists (and I haven't even played the Amplified version yet, either) and I can get my fix there.

Can't wait to finally try this game.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
This sounds great! I'm a huge fan of Necrodancer, but Necrodancer still exists (and I haven't even played the Amplified version yet, either) and I can get my fix there.

Can't wait to finally try this game.
The Switch edition of Necrodancer comes with the Amplified DLC, and is only $3.99 right now, if you haven't bought it elsewhere

Fuckin sold, sounds great!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Super tempted to buy this, but almost feel like I should buy the first game for $4 sale to make sure the gameplay is where I like it. $25 is kinda up there.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Super tempted to buy this, but almost feel like I should buy the first game for $4 sale to make sure the gameplay is where I like it. $25 is kinda up there.
I'm a huge fan of the first game, but it sounds like the differences between the two are significant enough that you might like one but not the other.

Just something to consider. By all means, buy the game. It's still fairly unique among indie titles.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
It sounds like the differences between the two are significant enough that you might like one but not the other.
I would agree with that assessment; I think a good way to put it, is that the devs kept in mind this has Zelda branding on it, and combined those elements into their game, instead of making their game with the assets.

Hey Blinkin

I'd not even heard of the series until this was announced.

I'm in the same boat though. As much as I'd love to play a new Zelda style game, I don't think I'd enjoy this.

Besides watching game play of this almost gives me a headache. Maybe playing it is different. Might consider it when it goes on sale.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

If you have a PC (don’t need a gaming one probably) you could always try it on Steam and refund within two hours if you hate it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played about 3 hours of this game this afternoon. Like ThatGamingDude ThatGamingDude said, it's less Necrodancer and more Zelda. It definitely feels like a rogue-like Zelda game more than anything else, and you can even (more or less) get rid of the entire Necrodancer mechanics completely by turning on a setting in the gameplay options that makes the enemies move when you do and turns the game into a more traditional rogue-like.

That being said, the RNG in this game has been pretty brutal I feel. There are some items you obtain that are permanent, but some items have durability and (most) items you lose completely when you die. There are a few spots I've found in the over world map that have chests that contain the same items every time, but others are just totally random. Dungeon bosses seems incredibly difficult without having good power-ups that are obtained at random and can break half-way through the fight. This seems like a huge problem early on in the game where you only have 3 hearts and no good equipment which makes it pretty easy to die. I spent the better part of an hour just getting used to the controls and the enemy movements in the first area as well as trying to gather up heart pieces to permanently increase my health.

It seems that there are four dungeons + one final dungeon. There are tons(!) of underground areas with secrets to unlock, although treasure ranges from good (permanent items) to not so good (rupees, which you lose if you die).

It's a fun game though, highly recommended for Zelda fans or if you're in the mood for a decent rogue-like and/or rhythm game.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Played about 3 hours of this game this afternoon. Like ThatGamingDude ThatGamingDude said, it's less Necrodancer and more Zelda. It definitely feels like a rogue-like Zelda game more than anything else, and you can even (more or less) get rid of the entire Necrodancer mechanics completely by turning on a setting in the gameplay options that makes the enemies move when you do and turns the game into a more traditional rogue-like.

That being said, the RNG in this game has been pretty brutal I feel. There are some items you obtain that are permanent, but some items have durability and (most) items you lose completely when you die. There are a few spots I've found in the over world map that have chests that contain the same items every time, but others are just totally random. Dungeon bosses seems incredibly difficult without having good power-ups that are obtained at random and can break half-way through the fight. This seems like a huge problem early on in the game where you only have 3 hearts and no good equipment which makes it pretty easy to die. I spent the better part of an hour just getting used to the controls and the enemy movements in the first area as well as trying to gather up heart pieces to permanently increase my health.

It seems that there are four dungeons + one final dungeon. There are tons(!) of underground areas with secrets to unlock, although treasure ranges from good (permanent items) to not so good (rupees, which you lose if you die).

It's a fun game though, highly recommended for Zelda fans or if you're in the mood for a decent rogue-like and/or rhythm game.
The boss difficulty falls off hard if you watch the movements of the boss and the mobs; less hectic that Crypt for sure

I've taken to starting to 100% think of it as a Zelda game than a Crypt game and doing a shit ton better

This game is legit a rhythm Zelda game, and it's fucking fantastic.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Finished the game, absolutely amazing.

Took me about 7 hours, and I still didn't get everything (notably, the flippers - where the hell are these? and missing 5 heart pieces) but overall incredible. I'm not exactly going to brag about my 44,000 steps or 68 deaths though. To be fair, I think about 50 of those were at the beginning of the game when I was trying to figure out the game mechanics. Yeah, we'll go with that story.

RPGCrazied

Looks cool, but that price? Feel like it should be $9.99 or $14.99 max.

Welp, I see a sale is going on? With coins I can get this for $3. Jesus, I have to. The music enough is nice to just get it now.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Finished the game, absolutely amazing.

Took me about 7 hours, and I still didn't get everything (notably, the flippers - where the hell are these? and missing 5 heart pieces) but overall incredible. I'm not exactly going to brag about my 44,000 steps or 68 deaths though. To be fair, I think about 50 of those were at the beginning of the game when I was trying to figure out the game mechanics. Yeah, we'll go with that story.
If I didn't have so many games i need to finish I'd prolly have this done by now
What do you think of the boss progression? Does the difficulty fall off pretty hard on them still?

The first boss (With a boss ass name) was ezpz

jshackles

If I didn't have so many games i need to finish I'd prolly have this done by now
What do you think of the boss progression? Does the difficulty fall off pretty hard on them still?

The first boss (With a boss ass name) was ezpz
The bosses (and the game, in general) get easier the farther you go. My initial issue with the boss fight had to do more with the fact that there were tons of heart pieces I could have had by that point and had missed, along with figuring out I could buy a bottle (80 coins) and a health potion (also 80 coins) and essentially have twice as many hearts. Once you get all three bottles, and a ton more heart containers along with stronger permanent weapons, the boss encounters start relying less and less on luck.

The final dungeon goes in a pattern of dungeon -> boss rush (mini-versions of the four dungeon bosses) -> another dungeon -> ganon fight which felt more like traditional Necrodancer and actually required a bit of skill to complete. However, there was also a potion shop before ganon that you could buy potions with diamonds (which I had a ton of) so that minimized the danger quite a bit.

The fight with Ganon was a lot of fun and worked well in-universe, but after having unlocked almost every weapon and good boots / rings + having several potions in case I died, it was a lot easier than the first boss honestly.

RPGCrazied

This game is hard as nails. I can't seem to progress. Am I even doing the story mode? From the lobby I go into zone 1. I managed to get an extra heart. Those dragons wreck me.

RPGCrazied

lmao, I bought the wrong game. I got Crypt of the necrodancer not candence of hyrule and its not on sale. They do want $24.99 for this. Lame. Oh well.

Oh it's fun as hell. Try Necrodancer If you want since it's 4 dollars right now, but Cadence of Hyrule is a much easier game.

Cadence is felt-lined handcuffs and blindfolds, Necromancer is a gimp mask and fuck machine.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
This game is hard as nails. I can't seem to progress. Am I even doing the story mode? From the lobby I go into zone 1. I managed to get an extra heart. Those dragons wreck me.
I would traverse the whole map for a bit before popping into the minibosses. jshackles jshackles is right about the difficult falling off with more hearts.
i essentially covered the whole map before doing anything and the game was a breeze
Zelda game first and foremost for sure

Top Bottom