• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Caesar III ported to Playstation Vita

stranno

Uo2KtYx.jpg

Julius game-engine, a re-implementation of Caesar III, has been ported to Vita by @devnoname120 and, as far as i tested, it works perfectly fine.

Just copy all the Caesar III files from a Windows installation and place them in ux0:/data/julius/. Install the VPK and there you go. It works with any language.

IMO the best city-builder game of all time.

Source

Edit: @rsn8887 has made a branch with BT KB/M support and other goodies.

Source

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Uo2KtYx.jpg

Julius game-engine, a re-implementation of Caesar III, has been ported to Vita by @devnoname120 and, as far as i tested, it works perfectly fine.

Just copy all the Caesar III files from a Windows installation and place them in ux0:/data/julius/. Install the VPK and there you go. It works with any language.

IMO the best city-builder game of all time.

Source

Edit: @rsn8887 has made a branch with BT KB/M support and other goodies.

Source
Hah! Now that's a game i would not expect to move to Vita. Thats some OpenPandora levels of obscure porting right there! I have that game still in my archives, i tihnk. Seeing the UI back, i remember i did play this briefly when i was younger, but often.

Brilliant stuff Stranno, stuff like this is why i follow you around :) Bullet Club Bullet Club this may interest you :)

Bullet Club

Hah! Now that's a game i would not expect to move to Vita. Thats some OpenPandora levels of obscure porting right there! I have that game still in my archives, i tihnk. Seeing the UI back, i remember i did play this briefly when i was younger, but often.

Brilliant stuff Stranno, stuff like this is why i follow you around :) Bullet Club Bullet Club this may interest you :)
This does look cool. Nice to see a new old game on the Vita.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Wow, now here's a game I would never have expected to see on a Vita. Now if someone could do the same with Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, that would be swell.

Shifty

Very cool.

What's the over-under on Vita homebrew these days anyway, does the jailbreak still need to be applied every reboot?

stranno

Very cool.

What's the over-under on Vita homebrew these days anyway, does the jailbreak still need to be applied every reboot?
Nowdays there's a downgrade for Vita up to 3.68 firmware (Modoru). So you can install 3.60 or 3.65 and Enso/h-encore as CFW.

3.69 and 3.70 have no public exploit yet, but TheFloW's downgrade method support them in private. I guess he is waiting for Vita's EOL.

DzUAuiiWsAc0SbD.jpg

Last edited:

Shifty

Nowdays there's a downgrade for Vita up to 3.68 firmware (Modoru). So you can install 3.60 or 3.65 and Enso/h-encore as CFW.

3.69 and 3.70 have no public exploit yet, but TheFloW's downgrade method support them in private. I guess he is waiting for Vita's EOL.

DzUAuiiWsAc0SbD.jpg
That certainly sounds like an improvement. I remember getting tired of watching that one wololo blog for the next big exploit back when I got my Vita- had me wishing for the golden days of PSP exploits :messenger_grinning_sweat:

stranno

That Julius source port seems rather recent, no?

Is it Vita native or can this also run on PSP? I would imagine it could, but perhaps it needs a recompile or lack of memory?
Its Vita native and it tends to crash if you skip the in-game videos, they seem to be resource intensive.

It should be a 1:1 clone of Caesar III, even the logic and bugs of the game are the same, savegames are compatible and the game, aside some UI tweaks, looks exactly the same.

I have finished the first three missions of the game in Vita, no problem whatsoever.

Last edited:

stranno

bg.png

Julius 1.3.0 released for Vita, Switch, Windows, Linux and OSX.

New features:

"Accept none" button on granaries and warehouses. Hit the "x" button to set all resources (also future resources) to "Not accepting"
New configuration screen to enable/disable options. Access it using the "Options" button on the main menu. An explanation of the new options can be found on the Wiki.
New setting: monthly autosave - automatically saves the game to autosave.sav every game month. Enable it in the Options menu
Editor: requests for denarii are now possible. These also work in Caesar 3
Full city screenshots: press Ctrl+F12 to save the whole city as one (big!) bmp file in your Caesar 3 folder

User interface improvements:

New config option: playing intro videos on game start
New config option: show game speed, employment information and ratings in the control panel (sidebar) in the city, when the height of the window allows
New config option: smooth scrolling in the city view: scroll by pixel instead of by map tile
New config option: quickly build temples to each of the gods. Select "all" in the build menu, the temples will then be built in the following order: Ceres, Neptune, Mercury, Mars, Venus.
New config option: visual feedback when deleting buildings. In the previous release this was on by default, it's now a setting which defaults to off (Caesar 3 behaviour)
Visual feedback on delete is now also available when using overlays
Editor: user is now warned about unsaved changes when the map has been edited
Invalid .sav files will no longer be loaded
Messages with video show the text in small font if it does not fit the window
Trade routes show whether it's a land or sea route on the open trade button
Julius version number is now shown on the main menu
Right click can now be used to close messages
New career dialog now has a back button
Go to problem button has been added to video messages for invasions and disasters
Some tweaks to make texts fit in different languages
Game year (123 BC/AD 123) is now shown using the correct order according to the used language
Screen will no longer go black when showing a dialog and then resizing the game window

Gameplay enhancements:

New config option: fix immigration bug on very hard
New config option: fix 100-year-old ghosts when building eternal cities
Roads will now lead into granaries to indicate where the granary entrance is
Buttons to the relevant advisor have been added for some more messages
Prefects now also give feedback about the city's conditions in the right-click information
Trade caravans now say something when right-clicking them. Previously only the first animal talked
When you are fired, the Emperor will voice his dissatisfaction with you out loud
Performance improvements:
Videos skip frames when decoding the video takes longer than frame duration on slower devices
Game startup is now faster because audio files are now only loaded on demand, not at startup

Bugfixes:

Fixed: freeze/infinite loop caused by migrating seagulls
Fixed: gatehouses no longer add roads next to the gatehouse when rotating the map
Fixed: crash in the editor when using a c3_map_mm.eng which does not contain editor help entries
Fixed: text scrolling twice as fast in the manual texts when using the mouse wheel
Fixed: several visual issues when deleting buildings
Fixed: music no longer resets when canceling the sound options dialog
Fixed: accented characters in tooltips will no longer be at the wrong height
Fixed: trade cities not showing with a red flag on some empire maps
Fixed: houses with partial fountain access not showing blue on the water overlay
Fixed: rating targets were shown on the ratings advisor for open play scenarios
Fixed: go to problem button in the sidebar did not work when an invasion has only just started
Fixed: months remaining banner still showing for time limit / survival time missions after winning the scenario
Fixed: being able to set a resource to both stockpiling and exporting at the same time
Fixed: editor: tool selection no longer immediately paints on the map
Fixed: editor: flags not showing in some cases
Fixed: editor: request favor not saving
Fixed: editor: showing the fired/victory screen when editing win criteria
Fixed: editor: native huts disappeared when building roads

It seems bvschaik has fixed the LEGENDARY inmigration bug of Hard Mode, some hardcore fans wont be happy with this xD

Last edited:

stranno

bg.png

Julius 1.4.0 released for Vita, Switch, Windows, Linux and OSX.

General improvements
  • New hotkeys:
    • Ctrl+O / Ctrl+S for loading and saving games
    • Alt+Enter for toggling full screen
    • Numeric keypad 0-9 for going to the advisors
  • Changed hotkey behavior: Escape now closes dialogs instead of exiting the game
  • Configurable hotkeys: you can now assign your own keys for the hotkey actions. This means that existing hotkeys may no longer work if you use a non-US keyboard layout. Go to Options -> Configure hotkeys in the game to set them.
  • Support for language packs. If you have multiple language versions of the game you can easily switch between them.
  • Support for Korean and Swedish versions of the game
  • Configuration option screen has been translated to French, German, Korean, Portuguese and Spanish
Gameplay improvements
  • Building a fort no longer triggers a message that the city needs workers
  • Right-click info for fountain and mission post now shows workers
  • Tooltip on the religion overlay now shows to which gods the house has access
  • New config option: fix emperor change events and survival time win criteria - more details
User interface enhancements
  • New config option: show reservoir, fountain and well range when constructing
  • New config option: show size when constructing draggable buildings
  • Right-clicking and dragging when in the city will now move the map
  • Double-click can be used to load files
  • Make certain elements more color blind friendly
  • Tweaks to the interface to fit languages with longer texts
Bugfixes
  • Fix graphic artifacts while building draggable reservoirs
  • Fix amphitheater right click not playing the corresponding sound file
  • Fix walls destroyed by enemies showing "nowhere" when right-clicking the rubble
  • Fix map not scrolling properly when using certain custom display scales
Technical improvements
  • Screen no longer turns black when resizing the window when a dialog is showing
  • Fix bugs when using touch
  • Fix missing audio for certain sound driver/OS combinations
  • Disable setting windowed mode on platforms that do not support it
  • Better support for Wayland in the flatpak image
  • Upgrade SDL to 2.0.12
  • Add runtime version checks for SDL, allowing the use of older SDL libraries

Last edited:

stranno

Awesome update
Definitely, this games deserves a perfect version and Julius is beyond that.

I still miss the inmigration bug :-/ I want my wells maze back!

Inmigration fix should be added as an option, not by default, it is a classic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom