• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California Democrats endorse Cristina Garcia, prominent figure in #metoo movement, who is under investigation for sexual misconduct

llien

The California Democratic Party refused to endorse Sen. Dianne Feinstein last weekend at its state convention but did throw its endorsement behind a state legislator under investigation for sexual harassment.

The party voted Sunday to endorse a slate of federal and state candidates that included Democratic Assemblymember Cristina Garcia, who placed herself on unpaid leave while allegations of sexual misconduct are being investigated.

She was accused last month by a former legislative aide in another office of groping him in 2014 at a staff softball game, after which four former staffers said she engaged in inappropriate discussions of sexual conduct and drinking during office hours.

Another ex-employee reportedly said she fired him after he refused to play “spin the bottle.”

Ms. Garcia, who has denied the allegations, was a prominent figure in the #MeToo movement, appearing in Time magazine “Persons of the Year” issue as one of the “silence breakers” and authoring legislation to combat sexual harassment.

“Every complaint about sexual harassment should be taken seriously and I will participate fully in any investigation that takes place,” Ms. Garcia said in a statement earlier this month on KCRA in Sacramento. “I have zero recollection of engaging in inappropriate behavior and such behavior is inconsistent with my values.”

No candidate for governor or Senate was able to muster the 60 percent delegate vote needed to capture the party’s official endorsement, not even Ms. Feinstein, who has served in the Senate since 1992.

Ms. Feinstein actually placed behind California Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de Leon, capturing 37 percent of the vote to his 54 percent, although a Public Policy Institute of California poll released Feb. 7 showed her leading him 46 to 17 percent.

A spokesman for the California Democratic Party did not immediately return a request for comment.

The Washington Times`

#alfrankenamcry
VARSnWB.png

TrainedRage

Banned
Why am I not supprised. Seems to hold to the phrase, "the people who speak out the most about something, typically have the most o hide."

Shamylov

If assemblywoman Garcia really did engage in inappropriate behavior then her situation might not be that bad at all. It would mean she did the right thing by being part of the metoo movement , even if for the wrong reasons, AND she’s getting her comeuppance. Also, she hasn’t been voted in as senator so this is just part of the vetting process and we should be glad it’s happening. Of course, if she’s innocent then hopefully this is all cleared up.

Men can say #MeToo too.

Or is it #MenToo ?

Well the #metoo movement is not restricted to women so anybody can speak out about their sexual harassment.

Why am I not supprised. Seems to hold to the phrase, "the people who speak out the most about something, typically have the most o hide."

So this case makes you think that people who have spoken out about sexual harassment 'typically' have skeletons in their closet as well?

Dunki

Well the #metoo movement is not restricted to women so anybody can speak out about their sexual harassment.

So this case makes you think that people who have spoken out about sexual harassment 'typically' have skeletons in their closet as well?
No it makes you think that EVRYONE has these skeletons in their closet but they are willingly ignore it or do not even think about it anymore. And by standing on their side you try to make you look innocent. I remeber all these male journalists or "feminists" who spoke out on Gamergate for sexually harassing women later then get accussed of the things the accused gamergate of. It was quite hillarious to see their meltdowns to be honest^^

Dr.Parity

Banned
How do you distinguish between real and bogusallegations?

To me the problem with Garcia is the contrast with Al Franken. Bill Clinton is somewhat acceptable as it was older times, when we were not as sensitive.

The same way you distinguish between real and bogus allegations for any crime?

What type of question is this? The entire point of the movement is the fact that, for literally ever, women's sexual harassment and assault were never serious issues and always overlooked or hand waved away. The same can be said for men due to societal pressures and the expected "masculin" qualities of getting laid, where unwanted sexual interactions or rape are hand waved because, "what do you mean you didn't want it, dude she's hot, what's wrong are you gay or something?"

llien

The same way you distinguish between real and bogus allegations for any crime?
But I don't distinguish between the two before actual trial.

The entire point of the movement is the fact that, for literally ever, women's sexual harassment and assault were never serious issues and always overlooked or hand waved away.
The point of the movement (hashtag is years older than weinsteingate) was to show how common a problem it is, not redefine what is and what is not acceptable (which it did as a side effect).

Rape was recognized as a crime thousands of years ago. It was a crime so grave, that rape of the exemplary woman Lucretia by the king's son led to the overthrow of the monarchy and the establishment of the Republic in the 50s BC.

Last edited:

Dr.Parity

Banned
But I don't distinguish between the two before actual trial.

The point of the movement (hashtag is years older than weinsteingate) was to show how common a problem it is, not redefine what is and what is not acceptable (which it did as a side effect).

Rape was recognized as crime thousands of years ago. It was a crime so grave, that rape of the exemplary woman Lucretia by the king's son led to the overthrow of the monarchy and the establishment of the Republic in the 50s BC.

You're parsing my words, of course rape is illegal, the issue was and is the fact that the amount of sexual harassment and assault that goes on in society is underreported and when reported is commonly thrown under the rug for either political reasons (the accused is someone important who's future will be ruined, don't want to tarnish the current organization), corruption or just good old fashion victim blaming by police and society at large ("are you sure you didn't lead him on?").

Why you brought up some historical event to prove rape is bad or in this case had ramifications, I don't really know, considering it has nothing to do with the contemporary issue of underreported and just outright refusal to believe victims and normalization of sexual harassment and abuse that we have seen for decades/centuries in society.

So yes, the point of the movement is to bring light to how common place sexual harassment is as well as fix the core issues of why women (and men) are constantly ignored when they actually go forward in reporting the harassment/assault

Last edited:

llien

Why you brought up some historical event to prove rape is bad,

You literally claimed: "...for literally ever, women's sexual harassment and assault were never serious issues and always overlooked or hand waved away..." which is apparently wrong.

I'm a bit puzzled by the rest of your comment, do you agree it is about under reporting, or is it about ignoring sexual assault and harassment? It can't be both at the same time, as making people aware something nobody cares about happens, would hardly have any impact.

Last edited:

Dr.Parity

Banned
You literally claimed: "...for literally ever, women's sexual harassment and assault were never serious issues and always overlooked or hand waved away..." which is apparently wrong.

I'm a bit puzzled by the rest of your comment, do you agree it is about under reporting, or is it about ignoring sexual assault and harassment? It can't be both at the same time, as making people aware something nobody cares about happens, would hardly have any impact.

I think you're being daft just to keep your point above water. One example of history doesn't negate the literal centuries of mysogony and how societies constantly devalue women's worth, and how this extends to women's rights in terms of sexual assault.

I already explained, and this time I'll cite that sexual assault (and by logical extension harassment) is widely underreported.

Now, part of the movement is to show that sexual assault/harassment is commonplace in society. The point at large is the fact that we have very public cases that have come to light about how women who are targeted for abuse are systematically silenced by those who hold major power over them.

When women do actually report their assaults, well, lets just read some examples of what happens.

In a piece for xoJane, Eden Strong wrote that she regrets reporting her rape to police because of the way officers treated her. She remembers feeling humiliated while the police asked her questions like: "What position did he use? How many times did he penetrate you? Did you orgasm or just him?" At the police station, she asked for a woman or a rape advocate to be there with her, and her requests were denied. "When I finally left, I felt so defeated. So worthless. So humiliated," she wrote. Her case was never solved.

For some people, reporting sexual assault can lead to them being punished. Take the case of a female midshipman at the U.S. Naval Academy, who reported being raped by three football players at an off-campus party in 2012. The woman was swiftly punished for underage drinking. Gay and bisexual students who reported assaults at Brigham Young University faced being suspended or even expelled for violating the school's honor code prohibiting “homosexual behavior."

Remember when Rihanna needed medical treatment after Chris Brown beat her, and hospital photographs of her injuries were broadcast all over the internet? Remember when a judge told Kesha she couldn't break her contract with a man she said drugged and raped her? Remember when, time and time again, rapists were excused because their victims wore "skimpy" clothing? Remember the women who reported what happened, then lost their jobs? The women who were publicly identified and called liars on the internet? The women who just want to be believed?

The reason so many victims don't report their assaults are because they can be punished and damaged for doing so. Half the part of the movement is showing how fucked up we have been treating victims of harassment and assault, not just the curtain being drawn back to show the scope of the problem.

Last edited:

llien

I think you're being daft just to keep your point above water.
You were overly categorical and made a clearly false claim.
No need getting mad about it, admitting you were wrong is an crucial part of a civilized discourse.

First, you claimed, not explained. It is the first time you link an article.

According to huffpost article, the highest estimate comes from BSJ Report according to which, in 2012 there were more male than female victims forced into sex (p,19, p.26, 1,473,000 vs 1,715,000), would you not question their methodology? Regardless, under reporting is clearly a problem, but what does it have to do with this thread?

Should we trust Garcia or her accusers? Al Franken or his accusers? Why were they handled differently?

The reason so many victims don't report their assaults are because they can be punished and damaged for doing so.
Yes, no doubts about that. It is an embarrassing experience.

Last edited:

Dr.Parity

Banned
You were overly categorical and made a clearly false claim.
No need getting mad about it, admitting you were wrong is an crucial part of a civilized discourse.

First, you claimed, not explained. It is the first time you link an article.

According to huffpost article, the highest estimate comes from BSJ Report according to which, in 2012 there were more male than female victims forced into sex (p,19, p.26, 1,473,000 vs 1,715,000), would you not question their methodology? Regardless, under reporting is clearly a problem, but what does it have to do with this thread?

Should we trust Garcia or her accusers? Al Franken or his accusers? Why were they handled differently?

Yes, no doubts about that. It is an embarrassing experience.

Who said I was mad? You citing an example from 50BC in the context of the current movement in which we have an entire portion of the population sharing their stories of both abuse and the complete systemic failures to help bring justice to their abusers for the wide swath of reasons I just gave you is not exactly what I would call arguing in good faith.

Your attempt to bog down the original point, which was your question or concern of how to tell apart real and bogus allegations goes back to the very reason I explained everything I just wrote. Sexual assault and harassment are widely underreported, so the fear of having a massive influx of false allegations doesn't really pass muster considering the treatment of victims of assault I have already given to you. The idea that the movement is going to somehow bring an influx of false accusations doesn't pass the smell test when society at large has already been handwaving away actual victims and silencing them from speaking out. So to answer your questions, it has to do with this thread because I quoted your concern about false accusations and how silly that is in the face of the ocean of real assault that both is reported and results in the accuser being targeted or simply underreported due to multiple different circumstances that lead to a culture of fear for bringing light to being the target of assault/harassment.

So yes, I trust the accusers over the accused. I don't think Garcia should be getting endorsements considering the multiple accounts of her wrongdoings. She's already on unpaid leave pending an investigation, and if it's found that the allegations are true she should be forced to resign similar to Al.

Last edited:

llien

You citing an example from 50BC in the context of the current movement ...

I've cited 50BC evidence of a ruler being overthrown because his son committed rape of an ordinary citizen, in the context of your "world never cared about rapes" claim.

It would hep if you would tone done the hyperbole, as it's hard to guess whether you mean it literally or are rhetorical.

You are conflating under reported (a real problem) with "society doesn't care" (it clearly does).

So yes, I trust the accusers over the accused. I don't think Garcia should be getting endorsements considering the multiple accounts of her wrongdoings.
Thank you. Should she resign, as Al Franken?

Top Bottom