• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California first state to borrow from Federal Govt to pay unemployment benefits

bucyou

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
California has become the first state to borrow money from the federal government so it can continue paying out rising claims for unemployment benefits during the coronavirus pandemic.

The Golden State borrowed $348 million in federal funds after receiving approval to tap up to $10 billion for this purpose through the end of July, a Treasury Department spokesman said Monday.

The U.S. government also has approved loans of up to $12.6 billion for Illinois and up to $1.1 billion for Connecticut through the end of July to replenish state unemployment-insurance funds, though the two states hadn’t yet started borrowing by the end of April. California was the only state to have accessed the program so far in the current downturn, the Treasury spokesman said.

bucyou

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
California had about $1.9 billion in its unemployment trust fund in mid-April, down from $3.1 billion at the end of February, the month before the coronavirus upended the U.S. economy. The state’s labor department didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Last edited:

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Oh Gavin Newsom.

This from April 15, 2020:

California will give cash payments to immigrants living in the country illegally, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Wednesday, using a mix of taxpayer money and charitable contributions to give 150,000 adults $500 each during the coronavirus outbreak.

California has an estimated 2 million immigrants living in the country illegally. They are not eligible for the $2.2 trillion stimulus package approved by Congress last month, which gives cash payments to most Americans plus boosts unemployment benefits by $600 per week.

“We feel a deep sense of gratitude for people that are in fear of deportations that are still addressing essential needs of tens of millions of Californians,” said Newsom, who noted 10% of the state’s workforce are immigrants living in the country illegally who paid more than $2.5 billion in state and local taxes last year.

Taxpayers are kicking in $75 million for the money, while a group of charities has committed to raise another $50 million for a total of $125 million. A group of charities has already donated $5.5 million for the fund, including the Emerson Collective, Blue Shield of California Foundation, the California Endowment, the James Irvine Foundation, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and an anonymous donor.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
May 31, 2013
Fetid, rotted, cursed Isz
Oh Gavin Newsom.

This from April 15, 2020:

Trying to secure votes while at the same time we have plenty of poor people living here legally who need the money more. This state continuously amazes me in the worst ways possible.
Actively working to leave this state and no, I didn't vote for the majority of this fucked of shit, but then again, I am in the minority of sane people left.

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
So why the fuck did Newsom spend 1 billion dollars on fucking masks from China! California has a shit governance. The state is supposed to be the fifth world's largest economy, but they can't fucking get their finances in order. Fuck and they spend $1 billion in China made masks without any audit whatsoever.

Reactions: cryptoadam

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
So why the fuck did Newsom spend 1 billion dollars on fucking masks from China! California has a shit governance. The state is supposed to be the fifth world's largest economy, but they can't fucking get their finances in order. Fuck and they spend $1 billion in China made masks without any audit whatsoever.
Embezzlement and laundering, me thinks.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2004
Southern California
mcucosmic.com
His auntie is Speaker of the House. He can do whatever the fuck he wants and if you question it you'll get sent to a state prison.

Reactions: cryptoadam

Whitesnake

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
But I thought California on its own has the world’s fifth-largest economy?

They spent $1,000,000,000 on masks before being able to pay for living expenses?

Torrent of Pork

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
If you want any of my tax dollars, then I want a list of who it's being sent to, and a separate list of citizens receiving the benefits. Oh yeah, just go ahead and send both of those lists to ICE.

Reactions: BigDilf

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA

TaySan

Dec 16, 2018
At least Cali is paying people unemployment.....unlike a certain state next door.....>.>

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
At least Cali is paying people unemployment.....unlike a certain state next door.....>.>
I assume you are talking about Arizona, since you mentioned you live here.

As of last week, 283,864 Arizonans were receiving continuing claims, meaning they had been on the dole for more than a week.

But the figures mean that about 230,000 Arizonans who have applied for benefits haven't received a payment. Many of those people likely are self-employed, contractors, part-timers and others who would not normally qualify for jobless benefits.

Congress approved something called "pandemic unemployment assistance" for people in that situation because of the coronavirus pandemic. Some states have been able to get that money to people, but Arizona won't have an application for PUA available until May 12, according to DES, which hired a technology contractor to build an application website for those benefits.

Reactions: HeresJohnny

Ten_Fold

Jan 18, 2017
I've considered living in CA, but man the help they give to illegals over their own citizens is awful,

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Did he ever get those masks? I am waiting for the story to come up that they were all defective and crappy.

The masks story is going to be buried.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Taking money from taxpayers and reapprotiating it to yourself is not stealing comrade. Thats just the communist way. Now off to the gulag for you.

Hail Marx, Hail Stalin, Hail Mao, Hail Xi, Hail CCP, Hail Biden.

Oct 26, 2018

Looks like the billion dollar deal collapsed. I hate that guy with a passion.
Regardless of protocol, I googled it and the deal was for 300 million masks at $3.30 each = $1 billion.

I skimmed Home Depot USA and you can buy packs of 5 or 10 pack N95 masks for a cost of roughly $3 per mask each. And that's retail price. They are probably paying the equivalent of $2/mask. And HD is not buying 300 million masks in bulk. And that's even 3M branded masks.

If the government had the business sense (which somehow they never do), they should be able source 300 million N95 masks, who gives a shit about having a fancy brand on it or box and should be able to get for I'd say no more cost than $1 each.

It's like the government got hooked into a contract paying RETAIL prices for no-name and unknown quality masks.

Sounds like a typical government purchase for me. ALWAYS the purchaser who is willing to pay the highest price. Coming from manufacturer companies all my life, they ALWAYS pay the most. Even small regional chains bargain for better prices. Insane.

Last edited: