• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California state senator to revive discussions on single-payer healthcare system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6467

In a similarly liberal state, Coloradocare was defeated by a margin of over 4:1 at the ballot box last November.

Sadly, I think universal health care is a pipe dream in the US outside of New England.

Yeah, you knew it was going to happen, but it still sucks. I just remember being sad when I read the voting pamphlet, because the first sentence just flat out said "raise taxes by $TEXAS" and then went on to ambiguously discuss changing our healthcare, but in a very convoluted way.

The bill didn't need help to fail, but I can't see any person who hadn't gone out of their way to specifically research ColoradoCare seeing that description and thinking anything other then "You're going to take how much money?"

If we want single payer in the US (which I at least do) California is absolutely the first place for it to pass. It's basically its own wealthy country and can serve as a great model for the rest of us to point at the success of. If they can get this to work it would be massive.

legacyzero

Banned
In a similarly liberal state, Coloradocare was defeated by a margin of over 4:1 at the ballot box last November.

Sadly, I think universal health care is a pipe dream in the US outside of New England.
I really think it's just a misunderstood concept. Too many bullshit Republican talking points and "WHY I GOTTA PAY FOR YOUR CARE?!" When they don't realize it may just save them money annually as well, and cover them for major diseases.

Steejee

Is there any reason a number of liberal states couldn't pull together and create a shared single-payer system without any federal involvement? Seems like this would be a good "ground up" way to get national healthcare rolling, as if it's successful, more states would join

I've thought this same thing. If you could get NY + CA + MA together, that's roughly 69 million people. That's more than the entire UK. I don't know how the logistics of such a cross-country market would work, but it's a thought.

The big catch would be how the Feds might take to three states doing cross border commerce in this fashion.

PkunkFury

Vermont tried, IIRC.

One of the issues they faced is that the costs could not be held well by the state, leading to the argument that it needs to be federal.

But if you mean liberal states kind of creating a "union" for the program and have the cost spread over a few states, that sounds interesting..

Exactly, a union for the program that spreads cost/risk across all states that join. It seems like it would work better than a single-state program due to the larger pool (if done properly), and might be more popular as a result. Blue states have significantly higher GDP and significantly healthier populations, so there'd also be less drag on the system than on a national scale.

I'm aware of various state attempts at health care, but are there any examples of states trying to do this as a group?

The big catch would be how the Feds might take to three states doing cross border commerce in this fashion.

Ah, this is likely where the plan would fall apart. I wonder what commerce issues would need to be overcome for such a system to exist

Xe4

Banned
Ain't happening. At least not yet. Vermont tried, Colorado tried, both failed miserably. Single payer won't work unless you have the system to support it, which California most certainly doesn't have.

What they can do that will have a much higher chance of success is a public option and regulation on drug prices. From there, they can work towards a single payer system, or not if they don't want to.

To be honest, I don't know why everyone jumps straight to single payer when discussing universal healthcare in the US. It's certainly not the only option, and it is the most difficult to implement without giving any benefits other systems don't already have.

Still, good luck Cali!

I've thought this same thing. If you could get NY + CA + MA together, that's roughly 69 million people. That's more than the entire UK. I don't know how the logistics of such a cross-country market would work, but it's a thought.

The republican plan to "fix" the aca already includes allowing people t purchase insurance across state lines would this be such a big leap from that? Also let NJ in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom