• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare actually coming on Wii U?

Eusis

I didn't see it mentioned, but the E3 Insider mention in the OP was actually a mistake by Ryan Scott. He mentioned it on an episode of The Geek Box back around e3.

Ryan heads up E3 Insider and said that he was doing a copy and paste from last year's listing and made a mistake.
After those last few CoDs I'd still wait until it's too close to release, Activision has been crazy late announcing these and an accidental reveal is also a mistake.

... Still, I'd think having either a Playstation or Xbox would be better if you're serious about playing CoD online anyway. Wii U seems to only actually win in local MP and that's thanks to the Game Pad.

prag16

Banned
After those last few CoDs I'd still wait until it's too close to release, Activision has been crazy late announcing these and an accidental reveal is also a mistake.

... Still, I'd think having either a Playstation or Xbox would be better if you're serious about playing CoD online anyway. Wii U seems to only actually win in local MP and that's thanks to the Game Pad.
Agreed, EXCEPT pointer controls are ridiculously great. For shooters CoD is the last bastion.

I would also like to believe Korra could also be announced along with this at some point, seems like a glaring omission as well since Platinum is big on Wii U right now with THREE games on Wii U.

Destiny as well maybe?

random25

I would also like to believe Korra could also be announced along with this at some point, seems like a glaring omission as well since Platinum is big on Wii U right now with THREE games on Wii U.

Destiny as well maybe?

I wouldn't count on those. But if they eventually come, then all the more appreciated.

prag16

Banned
Probably doesn't sell much less than the PC version.
Physical probably not. But digital on PC I'm sure puts that platform well above. I believe last I heard online player counts on PC are awful compared to consoles, but still a few multiples of Wii U.

jholmes

Worth noting that not only did Ghosts come out pretty good on Wii U, it even got ONE piece of DLC to boot! WOW

Not just lack of promotion... I mean not even acknowledging it's existence... who could that possibly benefit.

It's possible Microsoft (or Sony?) ask them to do that as part of whatever exclusivity deal they have. It's not especially likely, I don't think, but it's the only real guess I have.

EDarkness

Destiny as well maybe?

Destiny isn't coming unless Activision starts caring about the eShop. An "MMO" game which will require extensive eShop presence isn't gonna happen. Though, I think Nintendo should really try to figure out what their problem is with the eShop and do something about it.

Takao

Banned
I will never understand how Wii U got priority over Vita for this franchise. As poorly received as Black Ops Declassified was, it still outsold the Wii U ones. There's probably an issue of hardware capabilities, but then you remember that there were fairly competent Wii ports.

J.W.Crazy

Not just lack of promotion... I mean not even acknowledging it's existence... who could that possibly benefit.

This has always been bizarre to me. They print up all the in-store promotional materials well before the Wii\Wii U versions are announced so even after release CoD displays don't have any mention of the games existence on a Nintendo platform. It's not like sales are going to be amazing either way but whats the point of making a game for a the platform if you're not going to acknowledge that you've made it?

Ridley327

I will never understand how Wii U got priority over Vita for this franchise. As poorly received as Black Ops Declassified was, it still outsold the Wii U ones. There's probably an issue of hardware capabilities, but then you remember that there were fairly competent Wii ports.

Considering the situation with Declassified was that Activision more or less loaned the IP to Sony to figure something out with it, it makes perfect sense why nothing happened on the Vita after that.

JordanN

Banned

Handhelds and Western Publishers don't go together.

Almost certainly an error. Activision didn't show or discuss the Wii U version until late last year but they still announced it.

Who knows Wii U may get next year's game as it'll be Treyarch's. They were the ones who did all 4 Wii Call of Duty's including two Modern Warfare ports and ported Ghosts as well.

Wii U seems to only actually win in local MP and that's thanks to the Game Pad.

Which is why you pick up a copy of Black Ops 2 the last COD with 4-player split-screen. Play Zombies or deathmatch that has the option for bots.

Treyarch was great with control options so not only can you use Wii Remote controls but classic controllers are supported. I have two CC's and two Pro Controllers so I can play four player like a lot of games. I don't buy more than two controllers for other systems so Wii U becomes the de facto multiplayer system.

Nairume

Banned

Destiny as well maybe?

Hang up with Korra is almost certainly that it's a downloadable only game and Activision isn't doing stuff on the eShop right now.

Aroll

I certainly expect it too. Given that it can come out around the time frame of of HW and Smash, they may be able to take advantage of new holiday buyer syndrom and get a few extra copies under the tree for it. Maybe. Heck, Bayonetta 2 too.

Essentially, I am not surprised either way. If they don't, they can say Ghosts sold worse than BO 2. If they do, they can point to prior 1 million+ Wii sales and just chalk up Ghosts to being worse than BO 2, hence a smaller install base/

jmizzal

Almost certainly an error. Activision didn't show or discuss the Wii U version until late last year but they still announced it.

Already posted in this thread, the WiiU version of Ghost was announced by Nintendo's twitter on July 25th after the MP event, this years MP event is coming soon.

COD Black Ops 2 was announced at the WiiU Sept event

And all WiiU COD games were late announcements, so its still plenty of time for it to be announced

Am I misremembering that they announced Ghosts really late and we didn't see anything from it up until it basically released?

Looking it up on the internet it seems I was confusing Black Ops 2 information campaign and with Ghosts. Ghosts apparently was confirmed late July last year on Wii U. Before that though there was all that weird talk from Infinity Ward how they couldn't say if there was a Wii U version or not. This time it seems so obvious it's not no one asked.

Considering how many copies of Ghosts Wii U Toysrus was trying to clear out and how nobody bought them till they went 80% off I don't think the game did well in sales to warrant Advanced Warfare to come to Wii U.

Eusis

I think if the Vita came a bit earlier it might've worked out, back when they still regularly put out Wii versions in addition to 360/PS3. But that came out just as that ended.

I think if the Vita came a bit earlier it might've worked out, back when they still regularly put out Wii versions in addition to 360/PS3. But that came out just as that ended.

I would think they would've done a semi-late port of MW3 Wii on Vita at launch if they wanted to, I mean Vita came out in NA in Feb 2012, could've been a pretty high-profile release if any.

prag16

Banned
Looking it up on the internet it seems I was confusing Black Ops 2 information campaign and with Ghosts. Ghosts apparently was confirmed late July last year on Wii U. Before that though there was all that weird talk from Infinity Ward how they couldn't say if there was a Wii U version or not. This time it seems so obvious it's not no one asked.

Considering how many copies of Ghosts Wii U Toysrus was trying to clear out and how nobody bought them till they went 80% off I don't think the game did well in sales to warrant Advanced Warfare to come to Wii U.
Well, you're making a lot of assumptions, but may end up being right. We'll know soon enough. If we get towards late August with no word, the chances are probably down to almost zero.

Unlike last year as you said, it appears nobody has really asked Activision directly. Paging Jason Schreier...

prag16

Banned
I guess the references were removed (at least I can't find them). If so, not sure what that implies. If it wasn't coming, I'm inclined to think they wouldn't even bother removing it. If it WAS coming and just can't be announced yet for some reason, removing that might make sense. But who knows. Few people probably even care at this point. But I love me some pointer controls.

CronoShot

If Destiny was coming, Nintendo would be shouting it from the rooftops. It's arguably the biggest third party release this year.

L~A

Yeah, Destiny certainly ain't coming. If Bungie didn't even bother with a PC version, there's no way in hell they're gonna have a Wii U version.

prag16

Banned
Yeah, Destiny certainly ain't coming. If Bungie didn't even bother with a PC version, there's no way in hell they're gonna have a Wii U version.

Yep. Wonder what was up with the "body is ready" trolling during the reveal though, since we now know 100% there's no Wii U version.

I really feel like it's coming. I honestly think Nintendo will have a good holiday, and Activision probably realizes that.

Yeah, it does make some sense. In the scheme of things the port should be very cheap and low risk, especially if they plan to spend zero on advertising that version (and almost zero on post release support). Treyarch (if they're doing the port) has this down to a science. BO2 and Ghosts were both good ports (failings that were in all versions were the real issues; not anything Treyarch's Wii U team did wrong).

Ludist210

Activision and Nintendo always do this for whatever reason. I'm not surprised, and I expect to see the next Call of Duty on Wii U...just hope it isn't neutered of content.

tebunker

Banned

I agree, but even if it did it wouldn't be Bungie working on it anyways. It would be a port team like Straight Right doing it.

Speaking of, did anyone ever figure out what AAA game port Straight Rite and their parent company were working on for WiiU?

Azriell

All I know is that I picked up the Wii U version of Blops 2 for $10 the other day because I really like Blops 2 and wants to play it, but I'm master prestige on 360 so I wanted to start fresh. There are only about 1500 people on at any given time, and they are all in TDM, Dom, and S&D. I realize the game is old, but considering how shit Ghosts was, I expected a lot more.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Pointer controls. Refuse to play CoD another way. (It not a good PC fps).

Rizsparky

I suppose its still worthwhile to port, they already have a dedicated Wii U port team with Treyarch. The ports themselves are quite good apart from the super low res textures that were present in Ghosts, dont know if that would be optimsation issues or hardware issues.

MilesTeg

Banned
Hope they announce it. Playing Gamepad split screen online is very fun. Also, playing by yourself on the Gamepad you will notice that the stream has such low latency that you may perform better. The Wii U stream seems noticeably faster than my TV. Once I switched to Gamepad only play I was seriously dominating in BO2 Wii U.

I suppose its still worthwhile to port, they already have a dedicated Wii U port team with Treyarch. The ports themselves are quite good apart from the super low res textures that were present in Ghosts, dont know if that would be optimsation issues or hardware issues.

Last I heard they have a 12 person team for the Wii U porting duties, limited to low budget, and always less than a year to port the Nintendo version.

I guess when you think about it, they have done a very good job over the years.

Mlatador

Banned
Pointer controls. Refuse to play CoD another way. (It not a good PC fps).

Yep, Pointer Controls are the best thing ever. However, I really dislike CoD... *sigh* A somewhat futuristic setting is a plus, but I hope CoD won't be the only FPS option on the Wii U. I wish High Voltage Software would develop a Conduit 3 or finish The Grinder and port it over.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Activision Blizzard's Second Quarter Calendar 2014 Results Conference Call is on August 5. I suppose there's always a slim chance of a Wii U version of the game mentioned there.

Yep, Pointer Controls are the best thing ever. However, I really dislike CoD... *sigh* A somewhat futuristic setting is a plus, but I hope CoD won't be the only FPS option on the Wii U. I wish High Voltage Software would develop a Conduit 3 or finish The Grinder and port it over.

I'm curious if Splatoon will have pointer controls. Probably wouldn't work as well since it's third person though.

I still reserve hope that Nintendo will pick up the James Bond license and give it to Retro or someone to make a great exclusive fps.

Top Bottom