• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare actually coming on Wii U?

L~A

Just saw this on the E3 Insider website (official website) :

1h8u5p.png

I can think of several possibilities :

- whoever put that info on the website just copy/pasted the info from E3 2013
- game is actually coming out on Wii U, but as usual, Activision will pretend it does not exist until they release a PR out of nowhere during Summer (but game won't get any screenshots/footage until very close to release)
- listing is just a mistake

If true, well, that's pretty good news for the small but dedicated CoD fanbase on Wii U.

Source

Please disable my killstreaks and lock if old/not thread worthy.

WalkMan

Banned
I don't see why not since the Wii U is supposedly just as strong as PS3 and x360. So if they're getting something then it's safe to expect it on Wii U.

WillyFive

I don't see why not since the Wii U is supposedly just as strong as PS3 and x360. So if they're getting something then it's safe to expect it on Wii U.

Power has nothing to do with it, since otherwise the Wii U would be getting every 3rd party game released this and last year.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I imagine it's some sort of Nintendo initiative to keep the game coming if it is. Probably doesn't cost Activision too much so as long as Nintendo fronts they don't mind.

That's good, is incorrect to assume the Nintendo owners are against COD fun. It was popular on Wii and they got this

screenshot_wii_call_of_duty_modern_warfare_2015.jpg

L~A

I imagine it's some sort of Nintendo initiative to keep the game coming if it is. Probably doesn't cost Activision too much so as long as Nintendo fronts they don't mind.

People keep mentionning a secret deal between Nintendo and Activision, though I doubt either company would ever confirm it.

At least, we know there's a special team at Treyarch (I believe?) working specifically on the Wii U version (same team from the Wii era, it seems). If this year's CoD do come to Wii U, that'd mean the game is developper by 3 different studios (Sledgehammer for PS4 - XB1 - PC and High Moon Studios for PS3 - 360.)

Probably, same deal with Watch_Dogs U. Without incentives, I have to imagine that those publishers could get a much better ROI from putting the porting teams on DLC for the Sony/MS/PC versions.

I don't see why not. Black Ops II on Wii U still regularly gets more players than Killzone: Shadowfall :/

Wow, is that actually true?

JayEH

This would be the third straight year that Activision refuses to talk about CoD on Wii U and then a couple of months before launch they acknowledge it exists.

Why do they do this? Does a check from Nimtendo need to clear?

Zoggy

This would be the third straight year that Activision refuses to talk about CoD on Wii U and then a couple of months before launch they they acknowledge it exists.

wii U version is probably last priority so they might not be sure its ready? idk

Tripon

This would be the third straight year that Activision refuses to talk about CoD on Wii U and then a couple of months before launch they they acknowledge it exists.

wii U version is probably last priority so they might not be sure its ready? idk

Probably a combination of both. Last year, Activision and Nintendo only announced that CoD: Ghosts were coming out after a bundle deal with Skylanders and other shovel licensed games were coming for the Wii U.

Wonder if Activision is regretting dropping the Wii version of CoD. That version made them some money just due to the sheer size of the install base.

I don't know if that's funny or sad... (probably both)
Both. If true.

I really hate this. I really don't see how any side benefits from this. It's even hard to say well it wasn't announced so its not coming, but this exact thing has happened twice. Blops 2 at least got some hype with Treyarch talking about doing all they can with the gamepad. Downside was it released 2 weeks after the other versions and Ghosts was...well Ghosts.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Not power, sales. Less Wii U's in the wild, less potential sales, less drive to do the work.

VICI0US

CoD Wii U ports are actually fantastic

actual 720p resolution not upscaled sub-hd like on ps3/360, split screen between gamepad/tv so each player has their own screen, wii remote controls are insanely customizable and awesome

shame they sabotage the games by stealth releasing them/releasing them weeks later than the other versions and then never putting out DLC

my wife really loves zombies, we ended up switching from the wii-u version of BO2 to the ps3 version so I could buy the season pass with all the new zombies maps for her.

narton

I could've sworn the Wii U logo image was somewhere in the code of the Advanced Warfare website. The reason for these delayed announcements is because of Nintendo's strict build review format.

How was the Ghosts port? I kind of want to play an FPS with the Wii remote again and Ghosts is fairly cheap on Wii U compared to other consoles.

sörine

Banned
People keep mentionning a secret deal between Nintendo and Activision, though I doubt either company would ever confirm it.

At least, we know there's a special team at Treyarch (I believe?) working specifically on the Wii U version (same team from the Wii era, it seems). If this year's CoD do come to Wii U, that'd mean the game is developper by 3 different studios (Sledgehammer for PS4 - XB1 - PC and High Moon Studios for PS3 - 360.)
It's not a set team at Treyarch, in fact staff often fight to get on the Nintendo port team. The studio's loaded with Nintendo fanboys.

Nintendo and Activision doing a deal to keep the series coming wouldn't surprise me either. Sales on Wii U are now low enough to where the 30+ person Nintendo team might be too big a resource drain to support it anymore. I think Activision should take look at doing 3DS versions though.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
That's a great news for Wii U owner who wants to play COD. But I don't think there are many people who wants to play COD on Wii U.

It's been long enough since I played a conventional fps that I'm kind of ready to buy one. I guess I'll have to deal with black ops 2 or ghosts if this doesn't pan out.

RoySFNR

I don't see why not. Black Ops II on Wii U still regularly gets more players than Killzone: Shadowfall :/

Might be due to the fact that the servers are region based. The number of players online shown in the menu's is based on the amount of players on your server at that time I think. Otherwise, that's a shock as big as any.

L~A

sörine;114276961 said:
It's not a set team at Treyarch, in fact staff often fight to get on the Nintendo port team. The studio's loaded with Nintendo fanboys.

Nintendo and Activision doing a deal to keep the series coming wouldn't surprise me either. Sales on Wii U are now low enough to where the 30+ person Nintendo team might be too big a resource drain to support it anymore. I think Activision should take look at doing 3DS versions though.

People fighting to get on the Nintendo port team? Wow, ha ha. Never thought I'd hear that one day.

About the team, I thought it was something close to 15? Wasn't ACIV ported by roughly 4 guys on Wii U?

And about a possible 3DS version... nah, it'd definitely bomb harder than the Wii U version.

Mr_B_Fett

As a WiiU owner, that can't possibly be true. Can it?

Probably varies a lot depending on time etc and I don't play any of these a lot, but the last few times I've played KS: shadowfall the player count has been ~1200 and Black Ops II (Wii U) has been ~1500. Ghosts on the Wii U seems to hover about the ~1200 mark as well.

Zornica

Banned
That's a great news for Wii U owner who wants to play COD. But I don't think there are many people who wants to play COD on Wii U.

if they like local multiplayer or local online "coop" they should though.
Also Activision or rather Nintendo should promote the shit out of that feature... but for some reason they don't.

Tripon

if they like local multiplayer or local online "coop" they should though.
Also Activision or rather Nintendo should promote the shit out of that feature... but for some reason they don't.

The industry would rather you play online on your own individual console. They think they will sell more consoles that way. They'd be right most times.

Yagami_Sama

If it is really true. Is not a bad thing.

I played CoD : Ghosts , and it is quite good, and this new one seems interesting.

StevieP

Banned

Ouch.

This would be the third straight year that Activision refuses to talk about CoD on Wii U and then a couple of months before launch they acknowledge it exists.

They'd probably rather you buy one of the versions that also gets them a cut of the monthly online subscription fee.

Makes sense, it has a slightly higher user base than the Xbox One right?

It's bizarre to think about it that way lol

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Gosts also take forever to be officially announced for Wii U?

L~A

Didn't Gosts also take forever to be officially announced for Wii U?

It's not just Ghosts... Even Black Ops II took ages to be confirmed. Players had to wait for the Wii U Nintendo Direct in SEPTEMBER for Activision to confirm the Wii U would get the game.

And of course, that means no pre-release screenshots/videos.

PetrCobra

If true I might actually NOT wait for a massive price drop this time, depending of the quality of the port. Trailer looked dope.

I'd assume it is coming but isn't yet announced. Call of Duty is probably the only "core" third party title that one can reasonably expect will still be coming to the Wii U. That said, it also wouldn't particularly surprise me if it didn't come either.

MilesTeg

Banned
It should do better than both BLOPS 2 and Ghosts on Wii U, simply because by November Wii U has had MK8 released for some time, and Smash coming, so the console theoretically should be more active on the marketplace resulting in better CoD sales.

Zornica

Banned
The industry would rather you play online on your own individual console. They think they will sell more consoles that way. They'd be right most times.

And I'm sure Nintendo would rather have you play Cod on their console and would also love If you'd buy many additional controllers for your family, spouse and friends.
And I'm sure if people knew what CoD on WiiU offered, at least a few of them would buy it which also leads to more WiiUs being sold.

Top Bottom