• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare PC Performance Thread

Does "Cinematic" SMAA just add grain or something? And 2X is better than 1 right? Bummer it doesn't have TXAA like Ghosts did :/

Tak3n

Banned
anyone playing with a controller? I hear it has aim assist, but watching some streams it seems guys are really fast with the instant controls of KB/M so was wondering how the controller held up?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Hm, maybe the game uses P2P if it can't find dedicated servers and the dedis are just not up yet?

That's what I'm hoping, the game isn't even out in most places.

Klyka

Banned
anyone playing with a controller? I hear it has aim assist, but watching some streams it seems guys are really fast with the instant controls of KB/M so was wondering how the controller held up?

It's a controller against KB/M. No aim assist is gonna put you on equal footing against someone who is even halfway competent with KB/M.

Being an exclusively SP COD player myself, it makes me quite happy hearing that this is actually optimized well (for a change) and that I won't have to pick up the PS4 version instead.

My new 970 is aching to put this through its paces.

Horp

You can use controller on PC, too. If you're not worried about multiplayer, then you especially have nothing to worry about.

Oh but I prefer KB+M by far, just that for SP it doesn't matter as much so I can go for the PS4 version if medium settings on PC doesn''t look as good (taking the distance-to-screen difference into consideration as well).

Tak3n

Banned
It's a controller against KB/M. No aim assist is gonna put you on equal footing against someone who is even halfway competent with KB/M.

in Titanfall I felt the game really advertised itself to how good a PC shooter can be with a controller, it felt so natural (if that makes any sense)

so done right it can work

Klyka

Banned
in Titanfall I felt the game really advertised itself to how good a PC shooter can be with a controller, it felt so natural (if that makes any sense)

so done right it can work

it can feel natural, no doubt about it, but natural doesn't mean competitive against KB/M.

Tovarisc

Wait.

No dedicated servers?

As far we can tell at the moment; No.

Hm, maybe the game uses P2P if it can't find dedicated servers and the dedis are just not up yet?

Would be weird for not to have servers up and running good time before release. After all you are going to give access for press on top of doing last minute internal tests that HW + SW runs smooth.

Klyka

Banned
As far we can tell at the moment; No.

Would be weird for not to have servers up and running good time before release. After all you are going to give access for press on top of doing last minute internal tests that HW + SW runs smooth.

But the press doesn't need dedicated servers, they just need the multi to work.
I could see it being like this. As someone else said earlier, this means the game is future proof too cause they can shut down dedicated servers and keep the game playable.

For those still on the fence and starting to fall over into a "buy", green man's got it at $10 off for VIP's and Best Buy is giving a $10 rewards card with pre-orders.

GReeeeN

Sensitivity is tied to fps, when close range fps drops heaps and so does the sensitivity, pretty annoying...

90fps capped when normal, then close range jumps to 70 and mouse goes all weird -___-

Caffeine

Sensitivity is tied to fps, when close range fps drops heaps and so does the sensitivity, pretty annoying...

90fps capped when normal, then close range jumps to 70 and mouse goes all weird -___-

thats mouse acceleration do you have fraps on i heard there was a bug when it was on.

A more fair representation of how AW looks now that the shader cache issue is fixed.
209650_2014-11-02_0000eulo.png

209650_2014-11-02_0006lu0j.png

209650_2014-11-02_000iku0j.png

209650_2014-11-02_000ntuuz.png

209650_2014-11-02_000kfutp.png
Lighting is a bit flat at times(4th shot) but in general it looks pretty good. Not as much as the initial impressions though as the cutscenes seem to use a lot more depth of field effects which make it look nicer. Some areas have more going on in terms of lighting but so far it generally looks like the areas above.

If they don't want to use a new engine they should at least use tessellation for the environment to make it look less blocky.

http://abload.de/img/209650_2014-11-02_000ntuuz.png

This looks like a Q3 Mod
Yeah, that part looked pretty poor. In general it looks really good but at times the lighting is incredibly flat and takes away from the good work done elsewhere. Weird!

The cutscenes look much better than the actual gameplay, not sure if it's just the use of depth of field or better lighting quality in them. They are real-time at least.

Redmoon

Does "Cinematic" SMAA just add grain or something? And 2X is better than 1 right? Bummer it doesn't have TXAA like Ghosts did :/

It adds blur. Not sure about grain, but comparing Filmic SMAA2x to regular 2x, filmic is blurrier. They both give the same performance for me, so I'm sticking to SMAA 2x

Although filmic hides aliasing more.

Naedtrax

Banned
That level where the smoke is everywhere and you shift to the other side of the map, runs like shit when the smoke comes out, still being rendered behind the gate i guess because it has a fps drop even on 980 SLI, probably because SLI isn't working 100% yet

Kezen

Banned
A more fair representation of how AW looks now that the shader cache issue is fixed.

Lighting is a bit flat at times(4th shot) but in general it looks pretty good. Not as much as the initial impressions though as the cutscenes seem to use a lot more depth of field effects which make it look nicer. Some areas have more going on in terms of lighting but so far it generally looks like the areas above.

Those screens aren't very flattering.Textures look rough Jesus Christ, this is the best they could do with PS4/XBO as the baseline ?

No wonder it runs so well.

cripterion

Enabling Supersampling x2 makes the game crash for me...

Working fine if I leave it off but I should be able to push this more with 970's :/

Suppose it should be said that those were taken at 2560x1440 with 2X supersampling. Not sure what resolution that works out to be, I forget how it works :p
Won't post anymore past here as that is the end of the first level/stuff already seen. So far I'd say it looks good with surprisingly high res textures for most objects(ie signs, bottles, boxes) but the flat lighting puts it below something like Battlefield 4. Game also seems to have pretty bad LoD issues at times.

Joey Ravn

Banned
The FoV slider is only available for MP, not for SP. SMH.

Other than that, rock solid 60 on my GTX 680. SLI seems to be somewhat active (the second card loads the game into memory), but it doesn't seem to be working (it sits on a very low usage percentage). I guess we'll have to wait for new drivers...

brennok

Neo Member
I keep hearing the private matches have tons of options, but can you make them public or are they invite only?

I just didn't know if it was like Titanfall where you essentially had to be invited or if you could browse them.

Other than that, rock solid 60 on my GTX 680. SLI seems to be somewhat active (the second card loads the game into memory), but it doesn't seem to be working (it sits on a very low usage percentage). I guess we'll have to wait for new drivers...

Are you serious about the FOV?

Stitch

Gold Member

wow so they're doing this shit again.

Had to use Flawless Widescreen in Ghosts for the SP and then pushing it higher than 80, I think, broke several Post Processing effects...

The hype almost got me but nope, will wait for a sale next year. I enjoy the campaigns but this isn't worth 40 buck right now. 😒

Josman

Great to hear it runs well, but why on Earth isn't there a server browser? seriously PC gamers have been asking for it since forever, well at least it's a step up over Ghosts.

Will I be able to max this game on a 680GTX? at 1080p

those screens look gorgeous
Definitely, with a 780Ti I was getting around 80-130 FPS at 2560x1440. Pretty steady high 60s with 2X Supersampling, although it does briefly dip into the 50s and up to the 80s at times. Keep in mind I have a gsync'd monitor so this is with vsync off.

The most annoying thing is that changing any setting(resolution too) requires the game to restart itself and you have to wait through another 40 second load. No settings in the main menu, can only be done in-game so if you have a less powerful computer be prepared for a shit ton of loading while tweaking.

Ghosts had video settings in the main menu didn't it?
Why? It works on all the other games without making them crash.
Works fine on my computer so maybe you're just hitting a limit?

The most annoying thing is that changing any setting(resolution too) requires the game to restart itself and you have to wait through another 40 second load. No settings in the main menu, can only be done in-game so if you have a less powerful computer be prepared for a shit ton of loading while tweaking.

Can you skip intro logos and stuff?

Can you skip intro logos and stuff?
It doesn't load to the main menu, but you do get kicked out to your desktop where the game icon disappears and after 10 seconds or so it starts back up right into the mission's introduction cutscene. After that finishes(or longer) you are back at the checkpoint.

I don't remember how many logos are at the initial start, but given I don't remember I don't think they were that bad. Would check but didn't I'd have to load back in again :p

cripterion

Yup it's the shadow map resolution setting that's causing a crash for me. You guys try setting it to extra with success?

Top Bottom