• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 |OT| Back to black

People have gotta understand. You gotta attack. Attack. Attack.

But don't get it mistaken. Certain individuals you don't attack. You run from.

I'm talking, if I see you (and believe me, I will) I'll take you down quickly. Why don't you get off the bunk bed, get in front of the TV, and provide some more serious effort into this battle royale?

If you approach me in Blackout I will kill you immediately. </Dr. Disrespect>

When I read this, I thought you were talking about Nomad's dog.

If you see it, you better start running the opposite way.

Stuart360

Blackout is cool and all that but why do you leave out the campaign?
Whats interesting for me is that just before the first SW Battlefront reboot released and there was all that talk about there being no campaign in Battlefront, i read an interview with some bigwig at Activision where he was asked why the 'poster child' for MP games still comes with a full campaign, and the Activision guy said that over 50% of COD players never touch the MP, and that why. Now Blops4 releases with no campaign and it has roughly half of WW2's retail game sales. I mean yes Digital sales were up but i still found it quite interesting.

Tesseract

Banned
People have gotta understand. You gotta attack. Attack. Attack.

But don't get it mistaken. Certain individuals you don't attack. You run from.

I'm talking, if I see you (and believe me, I will) I'll take you down quickly. Why don't you get off the bunk bed, get in front of the TV, and provide some more serious effort into this battle royale?

If you approach me in Blackout I will kill you immediately. </Dr. Disrespect>

tenor.gif

Codes 208

Whats interesting for me is that just before the first SW Battlefront reboot released and there was all that talk about there being no campaign in Battlefront, i read an interview with some bigwig at Activision where he was asked why the 'poster child' for MP games still comes with a full campaign, and the Activision guy said that over 50% of COD players never touch the MP, and that why. Now Blops4 releases with no campaign and it has roughly half of WW2's retail game sales. I mean yes Digital sales were up but i still found it quite interesting.
Well for starters your comparison seems to be assuming the increase in digital sales may only be like 3-10% whereas it could be higher than that leading to maybe 3/4 of the sales as ww2. (also werent those sales number specifically to the uk release?)

also ww2 was overhyped as a return to form for the series after three disappointing futuristic games so seeing a peak in sales isnt exactly unsurprising. But it kinda sucked, lack of maps, hq was laggy and unnecesary, the class system sucked and the overall balance was ridiculous. And I got about halfway into the campaign before succumbing to boredom.

Prop Hunt was fun though.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Well for starters your comparison seems to be assuming the increase in digital sales may only be like 3-10% whereas it could be higher than that leading to maybe 3/4 of the sales as ww2. (also werent those sales number specifically to the uk release?)

also ww2 was overhyped as a return to form for the series after three disappointing futuristic games so seeing a peak in sales isnt exactly unsurprising. But it kinda sucked, lack of maps, hq was laggy and unnecesary, the class system sucked and the overall balance was ridiculous. And I got about halfway into the campaign before succumbing to boredom.

Prop Hunt was fun though.
Well this also has the much hyped Battle Royale mode, which is the 'in thing' these days, yet it still was well down on WW2. I mean you're right of course, we dont know what the digital sales were, but i honestly thought the Battle Royale mode would of made up for that, and then some.

splattered

Anyone else having issues with lag? Like at times I can't even run forward because my character is warping back and forth and up against buildings and stuff. It's like the early PUBG experience x10. I don't have issues this bad in Destiny 2 or other online games (though iron banner did feel off if I remember correctly). This is driving me nuts. I tried out the hunter class with the hand cannon/axe and put 4 or 5 shots into a person and then they spray me with 2 bullets in the pinky toe and I die. Once tonight I faced a hunter and they would one shot me.. I watched the kill cam and they run around one shotting several people with it every time I could watch it? I tried out the assault class and i'd put 5+ bullets in a person only to get shot a couple times and die. My bullets dont seem to travel more than 20ft in front of me yet people are killing me super far away with all sorts of weapons. The only thing that seems to kill anyone is a head shot. Didn't have this much trouble with Blops 1-3... super frustrating to play and to try and level up at all. I have like 150/20 internet and 20ms latency. Argh.

Tesseract

Banned
Anyone else having issues with lag? Like at times I can't even run forward because my character is warping back and forth and up against buildings and stuff. It's like the early PUBG experience x10. I don't have issues this bad in Destiny 2 or other online games (though iron banner did feel off if I remember correctly). This is driving me nuts. I tried out the hunter class with the hand cannon/axe and put 4 or 5 shots into a person and then they spray me with 2 bullets in the pinky toe and I die. Once tonight I faced a hunter and they would one shot me.. I watched the kill cam and they run around one shotting several people with it every time I could watch it? I tried out the assault class and i'd put 5+ bullets in a person only to get shot a couple times and die. My bullets dont seem to travel more than 20ft in front of me yet people are killing me super far away with all sorts of weapons. The only thing that seems to kill anyone is a head shot. Didn't have this much trouble with Blops 1-3... super frustrating to play and to try and level up at all. I have like 150/20 internet and 20ms latency. Argh.

nope, you sure you're on the right battlenet region?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well, just like Ghost Recon Wildlands and Monster Hunter World this game is a total HDR fail. No settings to adjust the boundaries at all, so everything is overbright and washed out in HDR mode no matter where you set the "birhgtness" slider. It's just completely expecting you to have some particular auto-adjusting TV. Why can't everyone do it like Assassins Creed Origins, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3/4, etc? It's not a huge deal because if I'm playing this I know I'll be playing it for a while so I can switch video modes, but it'd just be nice to have that extra pretty image.

Last edited:
Well, just like Ghost Recon Wildlands and Monster Hunter World this game is a total HDR fail. No settings to adjust the boundaries at all, so everything is overbright and washed out in HDR mode no matter where you set the "birhgtness" slider. It's just completely expecting you to have some particular auto-adjusting TV. Why can't everyone do it like Assassins Creed Origins, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3/4, etc? It's not a huge deal because if I'm playing this I know I'll be playing it for a while so I can switch video modes, but it'd just be nice to have that extra pretty image.
I know it makes it look so washed out. Do you switch HDR off when you play it? Hopefully they put a fix out for this

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I know it makes it look so washed out. Do you switch HDR off when you play it? Hopefully they put a fix out for this
Yes, I switch off the HDR checkbox in the Xbox settings menu before launching the game to get proper visuals. I don't know how PS4 Pro does things.

Shmunter

Let’s. To forget the prior COD entry. WW2 has comprehensive HDR calibration, and when dialed in, looks the biz.

VertigoOA

Banned
I just want to stay home all week and play blackout and destiny .... but nooooooo

This is ending up as my favorite gen for shooters ever at this point.

GenericUser

I'm totally diggin the game, apart from one thing: the jump shooting. Without the jetpacks their efficiency has been toned down significantly, but it's still the norm that people jump into 1v1 fights. It gives the scuff users an unfair advantage and forces regular controller users to hold the controller in an uncomfortable way (index finger on L1, middle finger in L2). I hope that trey does something about this.

BigLee74

Just played a map called Contraband on the X. It runs like absolute garbage! No way that should have been released like that. Quite unimpressed at the framerate fluctuations in blackout as well.

Calibos

Blackout Quads with a full squad has game breaking stutter/lag for my friends and I. Anyone else running into this? 3’s, Duos and solos run super buttery smooth on my X.

Bryank75

Banned
Thinking about picking this up, since it's only 60 euro at my local shop....

Is it good?
I cant decide based on what I've seen so far....

I'm totally diggin the game, apart from one thing: the jump shooting. Without the jetpacks their efficiency has been toned down significantly, but it's still the norm that people jump into 1v1 fights. It gives the scuff users an unfair advantage and forces regular controller users to hold the controller in an uncomfortable way (index finger on L1, middle finger in L2). I hope that trey does something about this.

There's actually a perk this time around that helps with aiming while jump shooting. I think that was part of the way Treyarch decided to handle the situation. If you want to do that often, it's going to take up a pick 10 slot.

Also, if people are jumping at you from around corners when you didn't even know they were there, you might want to check their equipment in the kill cam. If they're using acoustic sensor and you're not using dead silence, you might make a class or two that uses that perk.

But if you'd like to have paddles on your controller yourself, you can get them for far less than a scuff controller these days. This accessory costs 40 dollars, and you can even remap the paddles.

GenericUser

There's actually a perk this time around that helps with aiming while jump shooting. I think that was part of the way Treyarch decided to handle the situation. If you want to do that often, it's going to take up a pick 10 slot.

Also, if people are jumping at you from around corners when you didn't even know they were there, you might want to check their equipment in the kill cam. If they're using acoustic sensor and you're not using dead silence, you might make a class or two that uses that perk.

But if you'd like to have paddles on your controller yourself, you can get them for far less than a scuff controller these days. This accessory costs 40 dollars, and you can even remap the paddles.

This thing is 50 bucks where I live .... still pricey if you ask me. Especially given the fact that it's only "needed" for one single game. I'm also always rocking the acoustic sensor, I think it's the most valueable piece of equipment. Same goes with dead silence, never without. I think trey should nerf jump shooting even more. I'm not salty when I lose a regular gunfight, but people killing me by flying into my face from ridiculous angles is not an exactly satisfying experience. But as I said, it's been toned down to a bearable level this time. The biggest problem I have with the game is my real life, working 9 to 5 sucks when there is a great new game to play.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Blackout is cool and all that but why do you leave out the campaign?

Because you invest your resources where they'll bring the most in return, at least if you intend to make money.

How do you monetize a singleplayer campaign so that it produces revenue after the initial sales without having to produce full expansions? Figure that one out and you can be the hero that brings back singleplayer campaigns.

ERMint13

Really enjoying this game. This is the first CoD I've bought since MW3.

Hoping to find a consistent squad for Blackout so I can start grinding that mode.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
As said again, game is great, but I’m fucking inches from throwing my Xbox out of the windows. Yesterday it was somewhat balanced regarding wins and losses. Today I’ve had 30 losses and 1 win. That’s not balanced at all.

Digital media whaaaat? 😎 Im really enjoying this COD. Way better than WW2 boring multiplayer. I do miss the campaign a bit but I wont lie, the multiplayer sucked me in completely and the BR mode is butter smooth. I think I spent like 3 hours straight not even noticing it.

optimized-img20181016173156-jpg.1409

Lmao. Ok, this is gonna sound unbelievably lame but I just won my first blackout and the last couple minutes were about as stressful as my first date in high school.

Never played a BR before, had no idea I was missing out on such good times. Also I'd like to personally thank the last two morons who dueled to the death while I casually looted the supply drop right next to them. Sure made that last kill a cakewalk being geared up like the fucking terminator.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I'm actually really surprised by the Blackout performance on a base PS4. In the beta, the framerate was pretty inconsistent. Now it feels like it's often 60fps. The framerate drops are really rare. It'll be interesting to see the Digital Foundry analysis of the full game compared to the beta.

I feel like the increase in performance is related to the fact that items and textures aren't fully loaded in when you land, though. It's extremely frustrating when you run past a gun because it isn't there and when you cycle back around you see it in the spot you already checked.

J-Roderton

Anyone here that used to play a ton of Pubg and now this, do you see yourself going back? Just curious. Haven't tried blackout myself yet.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Anyone here that used to play a ton of Pubg and now this, do you see yourself going back? Just curious. Haven't tried blackout myself yet.
I've been going back and forth as I feel they're different enough to scratch two different kinds of itch due to Blackout going for a faster pace compared to the slow and methodical pace in PUBG.

Neolombax

Blackout was a surprise for me. I havent played PUBG before, but dabbled in Fortnite BR. I just could not get into Fortnite. I can see myself playing Blackout for quite some time.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd be interested in your impressions.

My first match was Blackout because apparently that's what Battle.net loads first. Not bad at all, but ended up getting killed after 10 minutes of exploring. Played it again and actually met someone. That helped. It reminds me of the Stalker games where there are contaminated zones and you would throw metal nuts to see the nuclear radiation. I've played Fortnite and some PUBG, so I get why it's there. It's fun, but if I only had an hour or less to play then I'd just straight into Multiplayer.

Then I jumped right into Hardcore Team Deathmatch. Most of my matches were on the Morocco map. I haven't played since earlier this year with WW2, so the first round was too many deaths. It got better. I had to switch to K&M because I wasn't doing well with the XBO pad.

I had a good time later on. Things clicked like they did with BO2/3. The levels look nice, but overall it's still CoD. I'm enjoying the K&M because accuracy feels spot on.

Zombies looks awesome. There's a lot of stats and abilities to look at. I am use to a bloated menu, but it was bit overwhelming at first. I booted the luxury boat level, but I chose to use bots. It's fun, but I was wanting more action. I guess I need to try matchmaking with Zombies.

I got the season pass just so I could get all the Zombie content. I enjoyed WWII's zombies but I thought there weren't enough levels. I hope I'm not wrong about BO4's Zombies.

My biggest thought about this was "what if the servers get dropped", but then I remember this is COD we are talking about. Sometimes those online authentication menus bug me. Like how players connected to FFXI.

splattered

Don't see where I can change my battle.net region in the game settings.. I can reveal my region (home city area) but don't see a way to actually change anything :/

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Does this game seriously have any mmr? I’ve lost 60 battles in a row now no joke.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Blackout needs a hardcore mode. No perks, nerfed or no armor and, fewer high tier gun drops in world (still in boxes).

Codes 208

Lmao. Ok, this is gonna sound unbelievably lame but I just won my first blackout and the last couple minutes were about as stressful as my first date in high school.

Never played a BR before, had no idea I was missing out on such good times. Also I'd like to personally thank the last two morons who dueled to the death while I casually looted the supply drop right next to them. Sure made that last kill a cakewalk being geared up like the fucking terminator.
Ah yes its quite an adrenaline rush, I still have the xbl recording of my first solo win in fortnite

Last edited:

SonGoku

As said again, game is great, but I’m fucking inches from throwing my Xbox out of the windows. Yesterday it was somewhat balanced regarding wins and losses. Today I’ve had 30 losses and 1 win. That’s not balanced at all.
Does this game seriously have any mmr? I’ve lost 60 battles in a row now no joke.
Git gud?
To answer your question, yes it does, it has a zombie mode as well

Catphish

My first match was Blackout because apparently that's what Battle.net loads first. Not bad at all, but ended up getting killed after 10 minutes of exploring. Played it again and actually met someone. That helped. It reminds me of the Stalker games where there are contaminated zones and you would throw metal nuts to see the nuclear radiation. I've played Fortnite and some PUBG, so I get why it's there. It's fun, but if I only had an hour or less to play then I'd just straight into Multiplayer.

Then I jumped right into Hardcore Team Deathmatch. Most of my matches were on the Morocco map. I haven't played since earlier this year with WW2, so the first round was too many deaths. It got better. I had to switch to K&M because I wasn't doing well with the XBO pad.

I had a good time later on. Things clicked like they did with BO2/3. The levels look nice, but overall it's still CoD. I'm enjoying the K&M because accuracy feels spot on.

Zombies looks awesome. There's a lot of stats and abilities to look at. I am use to a bloated menu, but it was bit overwhelming at first. I booted the luxury boat level, but I chose to use bots. It's fun, but I was wanting more action. I guess I need to try matchmaking with Zombies.

I got the season pass just so I could get all the Zombie content. I enjoyed WWII's zombies but I thought there weren't enough levels. I hope I'm not wrong about BO4's Zombies.

My biggest thought about this was "what if the servers get dropped", but then I remember this is COD we are talking about. Sometimes those online authentication menus bug me. Like how players connected to FFXI.
Thanks for the impressions, mate. I appreciate it. In your opinion, would the price be worth it if all I planned on playing was TDM?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Thanks for the impressions, mate. I appreciate it. In your opinion, would the price be worth it if all I planned on playing was TDM?

I think it is at its best time to buy. You could look at it in many different ways, but all I do is play TDM. That's all I ever play online. I'm considering other modes because they took off the single player element. Which is smart if you want to get more out of the online experience versus staying with single player. It has that "internet connection required" feeling to it.

Pros
You get all the TDM you could ask for.
Buying the season pass gets you started early - no purchases later on
Better off playing it now than waiting for that half way mark. I hope BO4 has a long future ahead of itself.

Cons
Uneasy feeling of spending $100 for content you can't see right now. I spent the $100 and I'm not entirely sure how I'll use my credits when the store goes live (or however that works).

Last edited:

Speaking from experience, playing on DLC maps is often like playing the game in "hard mode." The most casual and generally less skilled players don't seem to buy the DLC. Treyarch also has had an issue in the past where they don't allow players to delete the DLC maps once they're added to your account. You typically can't "toggle" the DLC maps in Treyarch games, so from that point on, you're just stuck playing with and against better players.

Because of this, I was sad to see they're splitting the community again this year, and I won't be buying the DLC. The last COD game did get some free maps, though, and I think they've announced that they're going to have events where some DLC maps are free for all players.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Speaking from experience, playing on DLC maps is often like playing the game in "hard mode." The most casual and generally less skilled players don't seem to buy the DLC. Treyarch also has had an issue in the past where they don't allow players to delete the DLC maps once they're added to your account. You typically can't "toggle" the DLC maps in Treyarch games, so from that point on, you're just stuck playing with and against better players.

Because of this, I was sad to see they're splitting the community again this year, and I won't be buying the DLC. The last COD game did get some free maps, though, and I think they've announced that they're going to have events where some DLC maps are free for all players.

That sucks. I remember Battlefield had the toggle with its launcher on PC. I usually buy the base game to CoD. I bought the season pass for AW and BO3. I've played with the "crowd" since Modern Warfare. I'm also a single player person. There's so many bad things when it comes to CoD in the public eye too. I don't have this issue with SP games, but that's 20+ years of experience. With MP I have the Halo guilt and this time I had super Halo guilt. Maps that are unique and you want to play with your friends. Nothing about it screamed your KD ratio and put you in the queue of matchmaking torture.

This is the first CoD to have no single player campaign at all. Focus on MP is huge right now because they want to be the GOAT of multiplayer games. Especially when Fortnite and the other bring billions of dollars to their developers. Plus the fact that this game has already sold a ton and players are endorsing it by saying how much fun they're having.

Sure, its good to hear "what we're in for", but I'll be another person with the season pass unlocked. I just hope there's intelligence in Treyarc's design rather than history repeating itself. I guess I could have held back, but it can all come at a loss too. I could throw in "back in my day it was all about how great the maps were" rather than "Can I toggle this garbage off my queue?".

Last edited:
Top Bottom