• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 |OT| Back to black

Grinchy

Banned
They really need to bring the PC version's looting menu to the console:

XvfZpAx.png

Instead of awkwardly trying to cycle through one item at a time with the dpad (and it being slow as hell), let us just see every item in the bag and use the dpad to go through the whole thing. When you just need to quickly loot healing items or ammo, the console version's looting system is utter trash.

Shmunter

They really need to bring the PC version's looting menu to the console:

XvfZpAx.png

Instead of awkwardly trying to cycle through one item at a time with the dpad (and it being slow as hell), let us just see every item in the bag and use the dpad to go through the whole thing. When you just need to quickly loot healing items or ammo, the console version's looting system is utter trash.

I agree. But seemingly it would conflict with their multi input approach on console, where you can be actively controlling your character while managing the loot with the dpad. Hopefully best of both can be implemented and refined.

My HDR seems to be working in this game now!! I don't know if the game was updated or making the changes that I did help it out but give it a try.

I was so annoyed that Black Ops 4 looks so washed out on my OLED I started tinkering with settings.

For one, my Xbox One is connected to my AVR and I read yesterday that plugging in the HDMI from a port far away from the main output Port can cause some issues. The article suggested that you plug in the HDMI cable into a port next to the main one. I originally had it plugged into the game Port, which was four or five points away from the main line and so I switched it to the next one which is actually the auxiliary to put on my receiver.

Second, I want to see how my games look with HDR unchecked in the Xbox settings so I did just that. After trying a few games without HDR it looks horrible to me so I went back to settings and check HDR again.

I also had gone into my TV and unchecked and rechecked the Deep color settings.

I don't know if any of these things cause Call of Duty to look much better now but I kid you not, it's no longer washed out and actually looks really good now....on HDR. Your mileage may vary....

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I agree. But seemingly it would conflict with their multi input approach on console, where you can be actively controlling your character while managing the loot with the dpad. Hopefully best of both can be implemented and refined.

Move inventory with D-Pad, move character with sticks. Fixed.

Shmunter

What's funny is that's exactly how it already works lol

I just want the full menu to come up instead of the crappy little one that scrolls horizontally.

What’s could be even more powerful is to utilise the gyro’s in the ds4. The controllers literally have an airmouse built in. Anybody that has used the feature on the keyboard input can see how a grid layout is perfectly and quickly navigated in this fashion.

The_Mike

What’s could be even more powerful is to utilise the gyro’s in the ds4. The controllers literally have an airmouse built in. Anybody that has used the feature on the keyboard input can see how a grid layout is perfectly and quickly navigated in this fashion.

Mouse input is still easier to precisely choose your likings though, as you use your entire hand instead of a grid layout.

Just won a game of blackout where I went through 2 body armors, 5 medkits, and 15 first aids. I spent the entire match running for my god damn life, stumbling from one awful situation to the next, somehow surviving until the end with no armor or equipment left and taking out the last 2 players with pure gun skill. Game has me absolutely hooked with these exhilarating matches.

Just won a game of blackout where I went through 2 body armors, 5 medkits, and 15 first aids. I spent the entire match running for my god damn life, stumbling from one awful situation to the next, somehow surviving until the end with no armor or equipment left and taking out the last 2 players with pure gun skill. Game has me absolutely hooked with these exhilarating matches.

Sounds like an episode straight out of a shounen anime.

Do you really feel the need to spend $40 extra? Why do you want this to be a $100 game? The extra content never justifies these things.
I usually always buy the season pass and regret it because hardly anyone else owns it. The extra maps in black ops 3 were pretty good.

Grinchy

Banned
I usually always buy the season pass and regret it because hardly anyone else owns it. The extra maps in black ops 3 were pretty good.
My buddy does this. He always tells me, "I just don't want to miss out on content."

He never knows what the content is. He'd have no idea if he was missing out on anything. He would buy Destiny DLC and then never play the modes that came with them. I suspect others are the same way. The idea of missing out is somehow worth spending twice the cost of the game to some people.

GenericUser

The real problem with the season pass is, that you will only occasionally play the new maps. Most of the players don't but the pass and are stuck with the initial launch maps, which means you are going to see the new maps seldom as well. I don't want to pay for things that I cannot take full advantage of.

Is it worth getting the pro edition or should I get the vanilla version and buy the season pass separately?

To quote myself from earlier in the thread:

Speaking from experience, playing on DLC maps is often like playing the game in "hard mode." The most casual and generally less skilled players don't seem to buy the DLC. Treyarch also has had an issue in the past where they don't allow players to delete the DLC maps once they're added to your account. You typically can't "toggle" the DLC maps in Treyarch games, so from that point on, you're just stuck playing with and against better players.

Because of this, I was sad to see they're splitting the community again this year, and I won't be buying the DLC. The last COD game did get some free maps, though, and I think they've announced that they're going to have events where some DLC maps are free for all players.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can think of three things that royally suck right now.
1. The game can randomly crash on boot. It's during that opening Treyarch splash screen. Where they show the footage with a filter over it. I've had to reboot my PC to get out the screen because even my task manager is blocked. Every time I see Raven studios logo I think it's going to crash. Shutdown -r -t 5, I'm blindly entering it into a Command Prompt. LOL
2. Finding a match took forever. I could have gone outside for 15 minutes before I found match. Some modes are better than others. TDM for instance was awful, while something like Capture was a minute or two. I exit out and toggle if it's longer than 5 minutes.
3. Spawn kills suck. They sucked back in Ghosts and they still suck now. Space must be limited on smaller maps with respawn points, but it gets ridiculous at times.

I actually had a good time playing the tutorial for IX tonight :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
Can anyone comment on the multiplayer map design, specifically how rigid it adheres to the three lane archetype? I heard Treyarch was moving away from it a bit and that they brought back some of the older maps that, while still three lane, were a little less formulaic about it. This is what largely drove me away from the series, with Infinite Warfare and Blops 3 being the lowpoint for me with their hallway design, to the point that WWII was the first CoD in almost a decade that I skipped. I always preferred maps that were a little more open, asymmetrical, with multiple tiers of verticality. I would say Blops 1 and MW3 were probably my ideal balance between keeping the action in a single frame of vision but still giving room for unpredictability when you enter a new zone.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm starting to get that "fuck this bullshit" feeling real quick after stepping away for a few days.

I am getting absolutely murdered online and I feel like my TTK is twice as long as everybody else.

Maybe I need some vodka first.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm starting to get that "fuck this bullshit" feeling real quick after stepping away for a few days.

I am getting absolutely murdered online and I feel like my TTK is twice as long as everybody else.

Maybe I need some vodka first.

:: pushes the vodka out of your hand ::

I feel bad I encouraged someone to get the season pass. I came back to it and all I see are better guns left and right. Small machine guns picking up 3 kills. Health doesn't deplete as fast as it did when you first booted up the game.

They need to turn this into some F2P client if you ask me.

I feel like I'm on a bell curve where it goes incredibly well and then the next day I want to hit the uninstall button. It's a stupid phase. I can take losing in a video game really well, but competing can really suck. I'd say it's worth the cost to play it, but I can't say I'm as excited as I originally was.

This is why it sucks to play multiplayer only. Either you can automatically defend shit flying at you or you're use to getting the same stats every time you play.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
:: pushes the vodka out of your hand ::

I feel bad I encouraged someone to get the season pass. I came back to it and all I see are better guns left and right. Small machine guns picking up 3 kills. Health doesn't deplete as fast as it did when you first booted up the game.

They need to turn this into some F2P client if you ask me.

I feel like I'm on a bell curve where it goes incredibly well and then the next day I want to hit the uninstall button. It's a stupid phase. I can take losing in a video game really well, but competing can really suck. I'd say it's worth the cost to play it, but I can't say I'm as excited as I originally was.

This is why it sucks to play multiplayer only. Either you can automatically defend shit flying at you or you're use to getting the same stats every time you play.

I actually had a similar experience with AW but after about two weeks I came out in the other side bring really REALLY good at AW but BO4 the difference is crazy. I either do really good or I get utterly DESTROYED. Like this one dude literally killed me 7 times straight, and killed no one else until after the 7th kill to me.

WHAT ARE THE ODDS!?

Gonna try some more this weekend. I can't get any worse right?

Texas Pride

Banned
I'm looking for consistent shooters to play with on blackout on PS4. Me and my best friend are consistently finishing top 10 multiple top 5's and a duo W. Anyone like that wanna play add me on PSN DMI-Copen.

BO4 is the best shooter this year hands down. Having so much fun with it. It's taken me away from AC Oddessey.

I don't think the movement gets enough credit in this game. First time COD has felt this smooth. It's Halo 5 esque. Jumping and climbing over things are so much better and ragdolls are much improved also. Overall the polished gunplay, tighter map design makes for much more action with super fluid gameplay. You got all types of game styles for everyone, tactical games types like control or blackout and run and gun almost doom style also. Not perfect, but still BO4 is brilliant.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm trying to learn how to play Blackout better so I spectate after I die. So far I've only been killed by persons who get #2, which is satisfying since it shows it took a decent player to get you but also that the person who denied you got denied, haha.

Texas Pride

Banned
I'm trying to learn how to play Blackout better so I spectate after I die. So far I've only been killed by persons who get #2, which is satisfying since it shows it took a decent player to get you but also that the person who denied you got denied, haha.

Avoiding named areas is key. Unless you get one off the beaten path from the jump or have to push into them they're traps. Vehicles are asshole magnets too. Act unimportant and you'll give yourself a shot at the end.

The_Mike

Avoiding named areas is key. Unless you get one off the beaten path from the jump or have to push into them they're traps. Vehicles are asshole magnets too. Act unimportant and you'll give yourself a shot at the end.

Isn’t named areas the mainly places to find weapons?

BO4 is the best shooter this year hands down. Having so much fun with it. It's taken me away from AC Oddessey.

I don't think the movement gets enough credit in this game. First time COD has felt this smooth. It's Halo 5 esque. Jumping and climbing over things are so much better and ragdolls are much improved also. Overall the polished gunplay, tighter map design makes for much more action with super fluid gameplay. You got all types of game styles for everyone, tactical games types like control or blackout and run and gun almost doom style also. Not perfect, but still BO4 is brilliant.

I agree with you on the movement, the more you play the more you pick up on its subtleties. Feels really nice.

Texas Pride

Banned
Isn’t named areas the mainly places to find weapons?

No there's plenty of things to be found in the lesser known areas. All you need is a gun and you can take what you need off the people you drop. Let them do all the work and take their shit.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah, it seems the surefire way to get into the top half of players is just to not immediately jump out of the chopper, then to get into the top 25 you start somewhere seemingly unimportant.

Last edited:

Arun1910

I can think of three things that royally suck right now.
1. The game can randomly crash on boot. It's during that opening Treyarch splash screen. Where they show the footage with a filter over it. I've had to reboot my PC to get out the screen because even my task manager is blocked. Every time I see Raven studios logo I think it's going to crash. Shutdown -r -t 5, I'm blindly entering it into a Command Prompt. LOL

This happens to me loads, even creating a new desktop doesnt help all the time. It always happens for me during initial boot when the Geforce thing pops up in the top right. If I force close using task manager and reboot the game it comes up with a safe mode message which I decline and then the Geforce pop up comes up later during the initial boot and things work fine.

Getting massive buyers remorse with this one. I got it primarily for the battle royale mode. I tried Fortnite, didn't much care for the aesthetic or the building shit, and so I was looking forward to trying it in CoD instead. I think I just don't like playing BR.

Which leaves me with the multi, which I tired of years ago, and somehow this one manages to be even worse then what came before. When I do play CoD multi, I enjoy it for it's quick and spontaneous ability to get me in and out of matches quickly. This game is a slog to get started and to leave, the countdown to start is something akin to Overwatch - slow. And to leave you've gotta hold down x on leave and then wait as the game freezes and tries to load the menu. I don't like how minimal the game modes are or half of the classes either.

All in all, I wish we could get refunds on the Sony store :(

Shmunter

Getting massive buyers remorse with this one. I got it primarily for the battle royale mode. I tried Fortnite, didn't much care for the aesthetic or the building shit, and so I was looking forward to trying it in CoD instead. I think I just don't like playing BR.

Which leaves me with the multi, which I tired of years ago, and somehow this one manages to be even worse then what came before. When I do play CoD multi, I enjoy it for it's quick and spontaneous ability to get me in and out of matches quickly. This game is a slog to get started and to leave, the countdown to start is something akin to Overwatch - slow. And to leave you've gotta hold down x on leave and then wait as the game freezes and tries to load the menu. I don't like how minimal the game modes are or half of the classes either.

All in all, I wish we could get refunds on the Sony store :(

Maybe they are telling you not to quit mid game because it’s poor form? Also Blackout works better as a social experience. But then so does every game.

They need to give players ability to opt in and out of mic preference for match making. Nothing worse then randoms not communicating. Ruins the round for the rest of the squad.

Last edited:
Maybe they are telling you not to quit mid game because it’s poor form? Also Blackout works better as a social experience. But then so does every game.

They need to give players ability to opt in and out of mic preference for match making. Nothing worse then randoms not communicating. Ruins the round for the rest of the squad.

I'm talking about the end of a game. As soon as potg starts up.

Tygeezy

Both blackout and zombies is a lot o fun for me. I may eventually try the regular multiplayer, but most of my time will be spent on blackout and zombies. I'm hoping zombies stays relatively popular on pc. I have no doubt people will be playing blackout for quite some time.

Grinchy

Banned
I guess the new meta in the regular modes is to run around with that stupid shotgun that one-shots even from an insane distance. That's all I'm seeing today.

PSYGN

Aside from the god awful hit detection in some matches where enemies moving perpendicular to you only want to register 1 out of the 5 shots that went into his body, the multiplayer is fun. Treyarch and Sledgehammer really need to consult with IW on how to do proper hit detection.

Catphish

I guess the new meta in the regular modes is to run around with that stupid shotgun that one-shots even from an insane distance. That's all I'm seeing today.
You know, I'm glad you posted this.

I've been tempted all week to buy this, but knowing that this is still a thing, I no longer want to. The jackasses running around in WWII with the shotguns & incendiary ammo fucking RUINED the game for me.

Thanks, m8. You just saved an impulsive dude $60. :)

I've been tempted all week to buy this, but knowing that this is still a thing, I no longer want to. The jackasses running around in WWII with the shotguns & incendiary ammo fucking RUINED the game for me.

To be fair that's a very small part you'll experience, and not until later levels.

I have not seen anyone use that shotgun in MP at all even though it's one of the default secondaries.

The MOG12 is one of the first guns I levelled up in MP to max because I love shotguns. But the gun is just trash even with incendiary rounds, choked barrel, etc. It can one shot but its so inconsistent (especially because of armour) that's it's not worth the hassle. You're better off running with an AR even at close range for better consistency, and you can engage people at long ranges. Just run the shotgun yourself and you'll see how hair splttingly annoying it is to use.

Plus, before you get choked barrel, you'll feel like you're stabbing yourself with a knife while trying to use this shotgun because it practically can't get a one shot without that attachment until you're stuffing a barrel down their throat literally.

Last edited:
I have not seen anyone use that shotgun in MP at all even though it's one of the default secondaries.

The MOG12 is one of the first guns I levelled up in MP to max because I love shotguns. But the gun is just trash even with incendiary rounds, choked barrel, etc. It can one shot but its so inconsistent (especially because of armour) that's it's not worth the hassle. You're better off running with an AR even at close range for better consistency, and you can engage people at long ranges. Just run the shotgun yourself and you'll see how hair splttingly annoying it is to use.

Plus, before you get choked barrel, you'll feel like you're stabbing yourself with a knife while trying to use this shotgun because it practically can't get a one shot without that attachment until you're stuffing a barrel down their throat literally.

Yeah its really hard to level up as 9 times out of 10 you'll die before killing opponent with it when first start. Really gotta land that first shot from fair close to get a chance of killing enemy. To be honest anyone that can max it out and get all the attachments deserves the kill they get with it to offset the pain when they first equipped it.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm really enjoying this game. It's tickling my Titanfall itch while I wait for 3 to come out. The game feels a ton better than WWII which I absolutely hated.

ptuck874

finally got a chance to play some zombies, to me, they got that really back on track, and multiplayer, been having some fun with that, hopefully this weekend will get the chance to play some more, but I gotta admit, I am digging it good !!!

You shouldn't impulse buy any game (especially with Red Dead coming next week) but you shouldn't stay away from Black Ops 4 because of shotguns either, because I don't know what Grinchy is talking about. The most annoying shotgun user I've noticed yet has been me, and I pretty much only use the shotgun on the slums map. Maybe they're a little more common in objective modes, but I never see shotguns in team deathmatch or kill confirmed.

Top Bottom