• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III Zombies Chronicles |OT| Too complicated to be played

Shinkawa doing CoD artwork? :O

SO GOOD

q0htvsxbnwggcyxdqeja.gif

Played Kino and man the map feels even better than the original. This was a fantastic remaster and the sound design is unbelievable. If this map is anything to go by, the whole pack might be the best DLC COD has ever had.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
OT title is pretty damn accurate. Fucking weirdest experience out of any AAA game ever.

Azzanadra

No.

I'm pretty sure the change was a result of not wanting to have a different version for the German release.

Because all maps, excluding Origins for obvious reasons, have the original characters.

Edit: If they're going to bring back Nacht, they could have at least added a Pack-a-Punch to it.

Edit 2: In fact, they should have added Pack-a-punch to all maps that don't have it.

Why does there need to be changed in the German versions anymore? Arnt't games considered art now?

Wow, on one point, Shinkawa's artwork is fucking amazing. On second, I own the season pass and this not coming with it is a bummer since the previous DLCs were average.

However, since I own the game, I'll gladly wait for a price drop. Good work, devs.

sp3ctr3

I remember playing Nacht der untoten back in World at War but haven't really touched any of the other maps, even though I owned the games, and I just found, with the release of DLC5, that there's an over arching storyline to all of this.

I find it very fascinating and understand that there's different realities etc. and that it's really convoluted.

Can someone point me to a video that breaks it all down and explains it the best, start to finish?

Toa TAK

Banned
I remember playing Nacht der untoten back in World at War but haven't really touched any of the other maps, even though I owned the games, and I just found, with the release of DLC5, that there's an over arching storyline to all of this.

I find it very fascinating and understand that there's different realities etc. and that it's really convoluted.

Can someone point me to a video that breaks it all down and explains it the best, start to finish?
This should do it for the most part.

It only covers up to Gorod Krovi, the third DLC in BOIII, but from there it's super easy to pick up the pieces.

Kalentan

Why does there need to be changed in the German versions anymore? Arnt't games considered art now?

I'm not too sure. But that has to be part of it. Otherwise why do it? Other than laziness I guess. Yet they remastered everything else so...

*Shrugs*

Also yeah, while Nacht, Verruckt, and Numa are fun for a time... I do feel like without Pack-a-punch, unlikely to play them. I get that it's probably part of the challenge but meh.

sp3ctr3

This should do it for the most part.

It only covers up to Gorod Krovi, the third DLC in BOIII, but from there it's super easy to pick up the pieces.

That's quite the coincidence. I'm subscribed to that channel because Milo is really into the whole story but trawling through his channel I couldn't find a video that covered it all.

Thanks

Toa TAK

Banned
That's quite the coincidence. I'm subscribed to that channel because Milo is really into the whole story but trawling through his channel I couldn't find a video that covered it all.

Thanks
Yeah, it's a bit dated now, especially that Treyarch has released an official timeline that covers everything from WAW up to now, even the limited comic is covered in it.
I still don't really get how Origins came to happen.

who are the characters?
is Origins allready a new dimension?
or does Origins take place after all BO3 maps?

edit: seems like it takes place after moon and was created by Samantha!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbEzkYSfeE
Treyarch just put out an official timeline that covers everything. Though, it's a bit hard to read. A bunch of Redditors were able to put it all together without you having to turn your head around.

This is the complete story of the Treyarch Zombie saga straight from the horse's mouth.

But to answer your question, yes. After Moon and the events of Buried, Samantha reaches out in the past to Maxis, and eventually the four main to free her.

Randam

But to answer your question, yes. After Moon and the events of Buried, Samantha reaches out in the past to Maxis, and eventually the four main to free her.
And the 4 characters in Origins are "new" characters?
Or what did they do before Origins?
Did they travel there through time and space?

I made the Yoji artwork into separate wallpapers on my desktop. It pops.

Also, can we discuss the new gobblegums? Like, specifically, Power Vaccum? Endless fire sales, bombs dropping like it's the Fallout universe, constant death machine slaughter. It's hilarious.

13ruce

Banned
Moons easter easter egg is soloable now, Shrangri La and Ancension still need multiple players (4).

And yup those new bubblegums are pretty good btw even the free gobblegom you can get every round can give free liquid divinium. So just spinnin it is worth it.

They also released a new chronicles theme it's that hand with the maps in it (song is zombies main theme), theme is free if you just own the game.

Randam

It's all in the PDF, bro.

the pdf is pretty big bro, and I can't even find Origins when searching for it with strg-f.

all I wan't to know is, if the ultimis and primis characters have the same birthdates, or they were born earlier in the Origins timeline.

Kalentan

the pdf is pretty big bro, and I can't even find Origins when searching for it with strg-f.

Okay so you have the Original Crew.

They were in all the levels from Verrückt to Moon. That was the original Timeline.

At the end of Buried, if you followed the Maxis side of things, Samantha, Maxis' daughter who had been controlling the zombies up until the end of the easter egg on Moon, was sent back to Agartha where she saw how the dark Aether effected her father. While in Agartha, she contacts an alternate reality.

This alternate reality is where the Origins crew exist. There, on the map Origins, during WWI, they're able to free Samantha from Agartha.

Then the events of Black Ops 3 map, Shadows of Evil happens, after that The Giant (remake of Der Riese) occurs which has the Origins crew going to the Original Timeline. Then after that the DLC maps of BO3 occur one after another.

I explained it to the best of my abilities, using some of the wiki for help. Hope I didn't make it more confusing.

Edit: Just saw your edit.

They were born at the same points in time in both timelines. It's just the characters in the original timeline we meet during WWII, whereas the Origins crew where them during WWI. However even at that point in time, in the Origins timeline, there were some differences in the characters.

Randam

They were born at the same points in time in both timelines. It's just the characters in the original timeline we meet during WWII, whereas the Origins crew where them during WWI. However even at that point in time, in the Origins timeline, there were some differences in the characters.
The characters in Origins are 27 years(1918-1945) younger as the once in the original time-line?
Or did they travel there through time from some point after 1945?

Kalentan

The characters in Origins are 27 years(1918-1945) younger as the once in the original time-line?
Or did they travel there through time from some point after 1945?

Yes.

We were never given their birth date, but there is nothing to suggest that the characters have different birthdays in both timelines.

Best way to see it is in Origins vs Original Nikolai and Takeo.

(Sorry images maybe small cause of the wiki)

The timeline the Origins crew were in, was essentially 'destroyed' after the events of Origins. In which they travel back to the original timeline during the 1940s.

You see that in this cinematic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmliMQMnUj0

Randam

Yes.

We were never given their birth date, but there is nothing to suggest that the characters have different birthdays in both timelines.

Best way to see it is in Origins vs Original Nikolai and Takeo.

(Sorry images maybe small cause of the wiki)

The timeline the Origins crew were in, was essentially 'destroyed' after the events of Origins. In which they travel back to the original timeline during the 1940s.

You see that in this cinematic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmliMQMnUj0
Yeah, that is stupid as hell..

The original characters being almost 60 is stupid and nonsense.

Those pics of the original characters you posted are from Zetsubou No Shima and Gorod Krovi?
Are those maps even set in 1945?

Edit: apparently they are.
But yeah, the characters we played in w@w and Bo1 are not in their 50s.

Probably because it'd be too costly to get the other voice actors for the other maps back, maybe modding community will port those maps over

I had the mind that they'd just remaster the actual map but just add in the O4 but given how (admittedly) convoluted the storyline is, probable rights issue, etc it doesn't seem likely. Although, Blundell has heavily hinted we will probably see Mob of the Dead again.

Kalentan

Yeah, that is stupid as hell..

The original characters being almost 60 is stupid and nonsense.

Those pics of the original characters you posted are from Zetsubou No Shima and Gorod Krovi?
Are those maps even set in 1945?

Edit: apparently they are.
But yeah, the characters we played in w@w and Bo1 are not in their 50s.

You sure?

Have you ever looked at their models? They weren't young in w@w and BO1.

Hell, Nikolai's dialogue mentions 4 wives. He's been around for quite sometime.

Original Takeo's model in BO3 looks like a far more detailed version of his W@W and BO1 model.

Also yes, Gorod Krovi takes place in 1945.

Randam

You sure?

Have you ever looked at their models? They weren't young in w@w and BO1.

Hell, Nikolai's dialogue mentions 4 wives. He's been around for quite sometime.

Original Takeo's model in BO3 looks like a far more detailed version of his W@W and BO1 model.

Also yes, Gorod Krovi takes place in 1945.
Come on. Did you ever think, you were playing a almost 60 year old in w@w or black ops?
And elite soldiers aren't in their (late) 50s anyways.

Them suddenly having meet in WW1 is forced as .... too.
Why didn't Samantha just teleport them to 1918?

Kalentan

Come on. Did you ever think, you were playing a almost 60 year old in w@w or black ops?
And elite soldiers aren't in their (late) 50s anyways.

Them suddenly having meet in WW1 is forced as .... too.
Why didn't Samantha just teleport them to 1918?

I... I don't think you quite understand.

The original crew had been experimented on by Richtofen during the 1940s. That's why they were helping him in the first place, because they were basically his slaves. He says as much. Back then, Richtofen was straight evil.

Also by that point in the story, Richtofen didn't even have a body of his own anymore.

She needed someone who was there at France in 1918 and she needed a Richtofen who hadn't gone evil, and a Dempsey, Takeo, and Nikolai who hadn't been experimented on yet.

Can we clarify in the OP that this is not part of the season pass? I didn't think it was clear until I logged into PSN. Not trying to dismiss the effort that went into this, just wasn't sure.

Edit: thank you. I'm sure I won't be the first to ask.

I had the mind that they'd just remaster the actual map but just add in the O4 but given how (admittedly) convoluted the storyline is, probable rights issue, etc it doesn't seem likely. Although, Blundell has heavily hinted we will probably see Mob of the Dead again.

Call of Duty Zombies has done something like that before, Nacht der Untoten and Verruckt had the Marines replaced by the Ultimis group and Call of the Dead on iOS did the same thing with their cast; I wouldn't be surprised if a Mob of the Dead remastered with the Origins crew happens.

You can make the excuse of Richtofen and them dimension hopping for some unexplained reason, and have some references to the original crew of maps like Buried and Five be sprinkled around, like the corpses of the Victis (Tranzit) crew lying on the ground similar to what happened to them in round infinity

Randam

I... I don't think you quite understand.

The original crew had been experimented on by Richtofen during the 1940s. That's why they were helping him in the first place, because they were basically his slaves. He says as much. Back then, Richtofen was straight evil.

Also by that point in the story, Richtofen didn't even have a body of his own anymore.

She needed someone who was there at France in 1918 and she needed a Richtofen who hadn't gone evil, and a Dempsey, Takeo, and Nikolai who hadn't been experimented on yet.
She could have just wiped all their memories and then send them to 1918.

Them suddenly being born in the late 18 hundreds, having participated in WW1 and fighting in WW2 with almost 60 years is just nonsense.

Yen

Was there much uptake on this DLC? Many people in the lobbies? I might buy it at the weekend but it seems unusual to me releasing DLC nearly 2 years after release. I wasn't too keen on BO3 zombies but I loved BO1 zombies so much back in the day
partially responsible for failing my English A-Level way back

13ruce

Banned
Was there much uptake on this DLC? Many people in the lobbies? I might buy it at the weekend but it seems unusual to me releasing DLC nearly 2 years after release. I wasn't too keen on BO3 zombies but I loved BO1 zombies so much back in the day
partially responsible for failing my English A-Level way back

Yes but as expected the most of the playerbase plays Kino der Toten. It's a real good dlc imo and if you have a few gaming friends to play with online or locally it will be even better.

Anyway i still find public matches easily in most of the dlc maps.

Randam

Seems like it's the top seller on steam today.

Makes me pretty happy that there are going to be a few more players than right now.

TimFL

Tried 3 pub matches, 3 times host migrating followed by match ended.
4th time was the charm though with really good randoms.

That was on Nacht tho with 16% players, can't even begin to imagine how horrible the experience must be on the 1-2% maps like Verrückt... guess there's no way around getting a private group going.

BigEmil

Now I realised this wasn't worth the asking price, way overpriced for just a bunch of remastered maps...

Spence

So how do people actually find co-op matches in this? I get the impression that most people look for co-op buddies outside the game and don´t usually use the ingame browser, is that true?

Top Bottom