• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII announced; October 12, 2018

DryvBy

$

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/08/call-of-duty-black-ops-4-is-official-release-date-confirmed

Reports and other leaks have suggested in recent weeks that this year's Call of Duty would indeed be the next entry in Treyarch's franchise. Reports in February suggested Black Ops 4 will tone down its sci-fi elements in favor of a "more grounded feeling" as a response to the reception of Infinite Warfare in 2016.

Pre-order up: Amazon so far

Two weeks prior to RDR2 is not a coincidence. If you're releasing a game in Q4, stay as far away from Oct. 26 as you can.

HurtPotato

Neo Member
I really hope it’s not a futuristic setting. The campaigns for BlOps 1&2 were outstanding. 3 not so much.

SDCowboy

It damn well better be boots on the ground, or it's likely a pass from me. I'm done with jetpack COD's.

Petrae

Two weeks prior to RDR2 is not a coincidence. If you're releasing a game in Q4, stay as far away from Oct. 26 as you can.

Publishers (hopefully) aren’t dumb. The domination that RDR had in 2010 was pretty thorough, leading new franchises to crash and burn and their development houses to shutter.

RDR2 isn’t a bear that you want to poke, because you’ll end up getting gruesomely mauled— in a sales/business sense.

If they learned anything it WILL be boots on the ground. I'm having a much better time in WWII than I did with Infinite/Advanced/BLOPS3 multiplayer.

I'm guessing they went with the incorrect IIII because it's symmetrical??

Droxcy

Stoked but that October release with Red Dead kind of a big conflict for me. Since I tend to play COD 24/7 till max prestige. So balancing time between BLOPs4 and RDR2 will be hard.

Happy for a early release though

I might pass on this unless the rumored COD:World at War remaster comes with it.
I would buy it just for the CoD: WaW remaster, still probably my fav CoD, although for the first time in a long time WWII has kept me very entertained. I dont like the futuristic crap at all.

RVIDXR

I want to see the cover. The three Black Ops covers were similar to each other, can't wait to see what they do for this one.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I assume the title is going for tally marks rather than roman numerals? That's a military thing, right?

I suppose the next entry will be

Call of Duty: Black Ops
tumblr_static_4hs23bh6p7okkcg0s8wgs8w08.jpg

Mooreberg

Black Ops III was such an incoherent mess. Morbidly curious to see what the premise of this game is.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
I will only buy this if it's a cowboy western setting. I'm so sick of them just putting a new coat of paint on the same game. Gimme revolvers and lever action rifles along with tnt. See CoD that's how you do it... Now pay me.

Barakov

It's annoying they went 'IIII' instead of 'IV' but whatever. Looking forward to the reveal. Kinda weird it's releasing in October. I wonder what Activision has for November if they have anything.

Zannegan

This. Boots on the ground all the way.

Eh, I could go either way.

I thought a return to "boots on the ground" would be refreshing, but movement in the WWII beta felt so stiff and slow that I didn't end up picking up the final game (although that had as much to do with the tiny maps and removal of perks/customization). Best case scenario for me would be a rotating stable of styles among futuristic wall-running entries, grounded modern entries, and wild card historical entries that could cover anything from World Wars to Ancient Rome, but I'm also one of those weirdos who thinks the games would be better without mechanics like quick-scoping and drop-shotting, so I may not be the CoD core audience. =P

Boots on the ground or butts in the sky, I'll be there day one for BO IV if they bring back class customization. It's been too long since my last proper CoD fix.

EBE

There's not a single Roman mathematician that left his trace in history. Unlike Greeks like Pythagoras or Thales. It's the one field where Rome didn't shine.
This is arguably true of every science. The Romans just didn't care for learning as a pursuit of knowledge. They were an empire of bureaucrats and orators and their education practices reflect this.

Geki-D

Banned
Okay, why isn't it "IV" !?
I once owned a Roman numeral clock that had IIII instead of IV on it. ...It was wrong, but funny.

Though I guess to be fair, no one ever said this franchise was actually using Roman numerals, I mean IIII means 4 too.

Bryank75

Banned
Liked BO 1 & 2 but 3 put me off COD completely , rubbish campaign ... it made me super super frustrated, the ending in particular.

Trogdor1123

There's not a single Roman mathematician that left his trace in history. Unlike Greeks like Pythagoras or Thales. It's the one field where Rome didn't shine.
Ptolemy doesn't count? I don't think it would be hard to find others.

NM, he was Greek, I didn't know that!

Last edited:

Rbk_3

Man, I rarely buy new games, maybe 2-3 a year.

The biggest games I put hours into tha last 2 years

Cod WW2 90 hours
Farming Simulator 17 400 Hours

Also was am a big GTA RDR guy.

October going to have BO4, FS19 and RDR with in 2 weeks

Last edited:

JimboJones

I once owned a Roman numeral clock that had IIII instead of IV on it. ...It was wrong, but funny.

Though I guess to be fair, no one ever said this franchise was actually using Roman numerals, I mean IIII means 4 too.

A lot of Roman numeral clocks are like that.
I think it's just to keep one third with I's one third has V's and the last third contains X's.
At least that's the only logic I can see in it.🤔

7KyZGcN.gif

Maybe it's about time travel, more scifi than ever!
Or more likely probably the tally thing mentioned above.

Last edited:

Enosh

it wasn't wrong, IIII was apparently used just as IV was

TheWatcher

Banned
I don't get the hate for Black Ops 3. It had a lengthy campaign, custom load outs, beautiful graphics, some very interesting powers/abilities, and it was especially fun in cooperative play. I wish all COD campaigns had cooperative play, rather than keep it restricted to Zombies or Spec Ops/Survival.

Crew 511A

I don't get the hate for Black Ops 3. It had a lengthy campaign, custom load outs, beautiful graphics, some very interesting powers/abilities, and it was especially fun in cooperative play. I wish all COD campaigns had cooperative play, rather than keep it restricted to Zombies or Spec Ops/Survival.

Three words: The Frozen Forest. If I wanted to drop acid, I would drop acid, not play a video game. Also, the "twist" at the end left me scratching my head.

Now, I think most people agree the multiplayer was solid. I didn't care much for the play mechanics, but the gun play and map design were all on point. This is why I have hope for BO4...or BOIIII (sigh).

Top Bottom