• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts online multiplayer discussion thread

UPDATE: the CoD Ghosts NeoGAF clan can be found here: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=89045095

Lock if this type of thread isn't allowed.

This thread is for civil discussion of the merits and demerits of the various guns/builds/maps that can be found in the new Call of Duty game. It is not a place for "lol CoD" shitposting, so please take that to the OT and every other CoD thread on this forum.

This thread is also for recounting your experiences with the game, positive or negative. Please go into detail to avoid general "this game is garbage" types of posts.

Here are a few questions about the game that I've seen posted in other threads, but were ignored amidst all of the hate:
Are squad points refundable?

What's the best way to earn squad points?

What is the point of unlocking other squad members?

And a few personal questions:
What guns seem to be really good at this point?
Is there anywhere on these maps that doesn't have 15 points of egress?

Are squad members just like, new prestige-type guys? Level 1, etc. It seems confusing.

I don't understand this either. I believe that you can only prestige each squad member one time, so you must create a new one to continue earning experience (as far as I know). I'm kind of bummed out that I picked the specialization that I did for my current squad member.

JaggedSac

Played a decent amount last night. Did not too well, but I figure once I learn the maps I will get better.

I thought all versions had dedicated servers, the 360 version certainly does not since I had a host migration occur during team death match.

Chojin

I don't understand this either. I believe that you can only prestige each squad member one time, so you must create a new one to continue earning experience (as far as I know). I'm kind of bummed out that I picked the specialization that I did for my current squad member.

Yeah Squads are basically the new prestige modes, you can unlock them before maxing out your first. It makes your squad as a whole better instead of having one really high level and a bunch of level 1s running around.

I'm really digging squad mode, its fun and the modes are great.

Played a decent amount last night. Did not too well, but I figure once I learn the maps I will get better.

I thought all versions had dedicated servers, the 360 version certainly does not since I had a host migration occur during team death match.

Yeah I had one host migration happen as well. NOt nearly as many as I woul get in Blops2 or before. Also it had problems connecting to LIve twice yesterday.

I'm not really sure what is up either way. I didn't lag much but when I tried playing extinction with a friend it got REALLY bad, some rubber banding shit up in there.

Subbed!

So last night I was getting pounded by the spawn system. So I started rolling stealth to great success and got several Maniac drops as a result.

Honey Badger (comes with silencer!)
Silenced pistol
Takedown (kill enemies without their death mark showing up on the map)
Off the Grid (don't show up on sat com)
Dead Silence (I use headphones)

My main problem is running out of ammo for the Honey Badger. Luckily it looks like a lot of people are running the weapon crate.

Yeah Squads are basically the new prestige modes, you can unlock them before maxing out your first. It makes your squad as a whole better instead of having one really high level and a bunch of level 1s running around.

I'm really digging squad mode, its fun and the modes are great.

Great, thanks. Do you earn squad points for leveling up each of the squad members?

I'm still greatly confused on how to actually earn squad points.

Daffy Duck

You earn squad points by completing field orders (one squad point per field order), and by completing the weekly challenges.

You also gain squad points by ranking up.

So, why does a thing cost lets say 2 points to unlock and then takes 6 points from my tally to unlock it?

Because you are probably buying it before you have unlocked it.

There is the normal unlock progression system in Ghosts, eg reach level 50 to unlock gun A, however if you have enough points you can buy it whenever you like, but this costs more squad points.

Chojin

Subbed!

So last night I was getting pounded by the spawn system. So I started rolling stealth to great success and got several Maniac drops as a result.

Honey Badger (comes with silencer!)
Silenced pistol
Takedown (kill enemies without their death mark showing up on the map)
Off the Grid (don't show up on sat com)
Dead Silence (I use headphones)

My main problem is running out of ammo for the Honey Badger. Luckily it looks like a lot of people are running the weapon crate.

Yeah weapon crates help,, but I went burst fire with Honey Badger and got some pretty good results.

But after getting some squad points I got the first marksman rifle, I forgot what it was called, and put on iron sights and burst fire, pretty much like an m16 with a bit more punch, pulling a whole bunch of kills.

Awesome. How good are the bots, and whats your favorite mode?

Well at first I was dropping bots easily, but then my K/D started to become more 1.00 after my 10th match. I'm not nearly the best COD player out there, but I've only lost one match out of 11 when I got distracted by a phone call and had to put the controller down :p

The bots themselves aren't TOO predictable, they did a good job with them, they will behave like a lot of players, either camping or stalking you.

Most people like the uh.. stoneforge? the castlemap, which I even included with my squadsetup, I prefer kill confirmed, but most of them tend to be Team Deathmatch, though I suspect its most people not really setting up the squadHQ.

I like all the modes, I played a few with just me and my squad vs another botsquad and a few times with me vs a human with our squads and I think they're both great. The other mode, the Horde mode, is quite fun and it gets silly by round 20, but I really like it better than zombies any day.

legacyzero

Banned
I really like the multiplayer! The maps are great so far. This game seems to fix a lot of my BLOPS2 gripes.

Now just fix the shit ton of technical issues in PC dammit!

You earn squad points by completing field orders (one squad point per field order), and by completing the weekly challenges.

You also gain squad points by ranking up.

Because you are probably buying it before you have unlocked it.

There is the normal unlock progression system in Ghosts, eg reach level 50 to unlock gun A, however if you have enough points you can buy it whenever you like, but this costs more squad points.

Thanks a bunch. I was super confused about that stuff.

Yeah weapon crates help,, but I went burst fire with Honey Badger and got some pretty good results.

But after getting some squad points I got the first marksman rifle, I forgot what it was called, and put on iron sights and burst fire, pretty much like an m16 with a bit more punch, pulling a whole bunch of kills.

That sounds pretty good. I'll give that a shot when I get home from work.

Alright guys I haven't seen any dynamic changes in the maps. Which ones are dynamic?

Is that Flood map have the water rising gradually? I couldn't tell. Other than that I have yet to see skyscrapers falling or destructible buildings or an entire map being leveled.

Hurley

What is the lag compensation like? Still no change?

Varies from game to game, sometimes it's brutal other times it's fine.

When the game works and there's no host bs and stuff like that it's a lot of fun.

The maps are awesome for domination this time around imo.

LOL I finally got the 2 sniper kills with 1 shot reward.
God it was so much harder than in past games.

Took an entire day running around just trying to line 2 enemies up,
never using an actual Sniper on this again(besides Heli Sniper)

I actually love the maps and customization.
just fix spawns and give us regular S&D. I got used to the damage already, Core feels more like old Hardcore so I will stick to that.

Zarovitch

After killing someone i found a blue file and it seem to be a mission.
But i didnt i time to read it, what is that?

Hurley

I'm finding the new unlock system a bit tidious tbh.

In regards to weapon balance, I do like how the smg's are basically useless at long range now, at least that's been my experience, and snipers seem pretty viable now too.

Worst map so far for me is siege. By far.

Also, thank fuck for no more OP killstreaks. The game is very gun on gun focused, which is a welcome change. Dogs are annoying as hell though.

-edit- do the field orders give care packages? I thought they gave you more of those token things?

cresto

So it looks like quick-scoping is still in the game. You bring up the scope faster than other CODs from what I can tell. I literally turned a corner and he dropped me before I could even ADS.

Thoughts? Opinions? It will get worse as people get used to it. They seemed to tell a lot of white lies prior to the games release.

Tak3n

Banned
oh anycase anyone wonder, when you get the field order...Humiliate your opponent, after you kill them you simply have to crouch over them

SMZC

I can't wait to get my hands on this along with my PS4. The wait is becoming unbearable knowing that this is already out on current-gen.

One question: I haven't seen the option to equip in your class anti-air launchers like the Stinger. Are these gone beyond the launcher that you can get via the support package?

Hurley

So it looks like quick-scoping is still in the game. You bring up the scope faster than other CODs from what I can tell. I literally turned a corner and he dropped me before I could even ADS.

Thoughts? Opinions? It will get worse as people get used to it. They seemed to tell a lot of white lies prior to the games release.

It honestly doesn't bother me. It's never been something that has upset me.

Drop shooters though...

Reave

Based on what I've read from GAF, I guess I'm part of the minority that actually likes the large maps at 6v6. There's just enough time to breathe to keep it from being too overly chaotic, and just enough chaos to keep it from being too mellow. So, although I understand the criticisms, I guess it's not that big a deal to me personally.

My three biggest issues so far are spawn placement, purchasing loadout items instead of unlocking them via rank, matchtype omissions and how few bullets it takes to kill an enemy.

Thankfully, three of those issues are patchable. IW usually works out those types of kinks a lot faster than Treyarch does, so I'm willing to put up with these problems for now. I do wish there was something new and exciting to draw me further into the experience, but I'm far from as turned off as others may be.

It's not great, but it's good.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really like Extincton mode, it's been a lot of fun so far. Not sure what the max level is for it though

Wait, there are going to be dedis but they just haven't gotten them set up yet?

Yes. All versions of the game get dedicated servers, but they definitely aren't running yet at least for 360. This is pretty typical - Gears 3 and Battlefield 3 were both nightmares initially re: dedis.

cresto

Based on what I've read from GAF, I guess I'm part of the minority that actually likes the large maps at 6v6. There's just enough time to breathe to keep it from being too overly chaotic, and just enough chaos to keep it from being too mellow. So, although I understand the criticisms, I guess it's not that big a deal to me personally.

My three biggest issues so far are spawn placement, purchasing loadout items instead of unlocking them via rank, matchtype omissions and how few bullets it takes to kill an enemy.

Thankfully, three of those issues are patchable. IW usually works out those types of kinks a lot faster than Treyarch does, so I'm willing to put up with these problems for now. I do wish there was something new and exciting to draw me further into the experience, but I'm far from as turned off as others may be.

It's not great, but it's good.

Map size isn't really an issue, although some just seem like there is a ton of wasted space and too many branching paths. Whiteout, for instance, has a whole town area and you can enter almost every building. Why? What purpose does that serve?

no angel

Wait a minute, so guns attachments etc still unlock with level progression, you don't have to spend squad points to get them? I knew this was the case with perks but not everything else.

They really should've explained this better if true.

kazebyaka

Banned
I like the maps. They are bigger than Blops 2, but even with 6v6 you never run for few minutes without encountering anybody like you could in blops, but instead you find people pretty often and on various distances. It's pretty cool, so there's a point in using smoke grenades now. The selection of maps is great too, loving dat castle.
Trying my awesome stealth knife class with unlimited fast sprint, aw yeah.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I'm loving that canister bomb too lol

What does it do? I was thinking about unlocking it but went for the flashbang instead.

I always play full stealth classes in these games. I hate showing up on enemy radar.

okayfrog

Banned
1. What's the max amount of ammo I can get in a clip for an LMG? (sorry if my gun terms aren't correct)
2. How are Blitz/Cranked? (please say fun)
3. Do the large maps work well on Ground Wars?

Hurley

What does it do? I was thinking about unlocking it but went for the flashbang instead.

I always play full stealth classes in these games. I hate showing up on enemy radar.

It's like a little chemical bomb, you prime it then throw it and so far from what I've seen it always kills if in the radius. It can't be thrown very far though and when it lands it doesn't roll like a grenade. Really good for Domination if a flag is being taken and you need something that goes off quickly

Top Bottom