• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Call of Duty: Ghosts" will have dedicated servers on ALL platforms!!

Going to toot my own horn for a couple of sentences. I called this back during Gamescom when dedis for XB1 were announced. It was pretty clear from the wording of the official announcement and from Rubin's answer when specifically asked about PS4 that, A: dedi support for XB1 was not exclusive and, B: Rubin was not allowed to talk about other platforms due to some sort of contractual obligation to MS.

Several posters argued with me endlessly trying to imply that XB1 would be the only console with dedis. Where are you now?

OK. Horn-tooting over. Resume normal thread operations.

2San

Something something you're misleading your friends

Nah it's the same thing I do or don't do

Some of my friends think the original policies are in place and I feel no desire to correct them unless they were really really into MS exclusives I guess but none are

Of course I also didn't bother trying to convince them to go PS4 either
I would have never lied to them. Withhold info after decisions have been made? Sure. Three of us have already paid for multiple years of Xbox Live. We are all excited about Titanfall and Halo so I doubt it would matter anyway. Why give them any reason to doubt their purchase?

Really? You guys don't want your friends to make informed decisions about hardware that's $400+. You guys are dicks tbh.
Going to toot my own horn for a couple of sentences. I called this back during Gamescom when dedis for XB1 were announced. It was pretty clear from the wording of the official announcement and from Rubin's answer when specifically asked about PS4 that, A: dedi support for XB1 was not exclusive and, B: Rubin was not allowed to talk about other platforms due to some sort of contractual obligation to MS.

Several posters argued with me endlessly trying to imply that XB1 would be the only console with dedis. Where are you now?

OK. Horn-tooting over. Resume normal thread operations.
I really think Sony lobbied for the decision. Activation doesn't give a fuck about dedi's on consoles.

Cornbread78

Why do they doubt the buttocks?

cboat_truthfact1prw6.gif

Holy $hit at that gif...

Dedicated servers are great for gamers...

RedAssedApe

Banned
I thought it was, too, but they normally say "parody account" on them, like the Kaz one, either way, yay!

The best way to tell is if you see the "verified" tag next to a Twitter account. That means its been vetted.

Really? You guys don't want your friends to make informed decisions about hardware that's $400+. You guys are dicks tbh.

What they don't know won't hurt them. ;)

Mr Moose

Could just be Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC. CoD on PC already had dedicated servers no? And Thunderhead are servers for XBOX LIVE in general. Could be used on 360 as well.

Current Gen = 360
Next Gen = Xbox One
PC = PC

Dedicated servers for PS4 (and PS3) aren't even close to confirmed yet because of a vague tweet. :p Is it now a legitimate possibility? Yes. Well they most likely have dedicated servers? Yes. But its not confirmed.

@xHunter61 I can't call out other platforms by name but one might assume that from what I wrote.

Pretty much confirms it for me, don't know about anyone else.

The best way to tell is if you see the "verified" tag next to a Twitter account. That means its been vetted.

What they don't know won't hurt them. ;)

Yeah, but @yosp's isn't verified, but that's him for sure (right?), I don't know what to believe any more :'( Damn you, internet!

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
More should be added to the OP

Brought to my attention by Psycho Powaa

One can assume that from what he wrote. Doesn't make the assumption correct. He didn't mention multiple systems, just simply labeled it Current Gen, Next Gen, PC. I can assume it's just 360, Xbox One, and PC. That assumption is as equally correct as the assumption that PS3 and PS4 have dedicated.

I'm sure the PS3 and PS4 will have dedicated. 90% sure. Other 10% comes from the doubt that Microsoft will continue to give Activision a discount on Azure servers if they use them for a competitors system.

See the post I quoted above yours.

Nafai1123

Banned
One can assume that from what he wrote. Doesn't make the assumption correct. He didn't mention multiple systems, just simply labeled it Current Gen, Next Gen, PC. I can assume it's just 360, Xbox One, and PC. That assumption is as equally correct as the assumption that PS3 and PS4 have dedicated.

I'm sure the PS3 and PS4 will have dedicated. 90% sure. Other 10% comes from the doubt that Microsoft will continue to give Activision a discount on Azure servers if they use them for a competitors system.

Your assumption would be wrong. What reason is there for them to make a vague comment? If they had some deal with MS, they would just proclaim exclusivity for MS platforms. They are intentionally being vague because they CAN'T talk specific platforms.

but thats like saying maybe when he said ps4 he meant plus studio 4... There can always be doubt created but realistically his tweets come across as 99.9% in favour of ps4 (Playstation 4, Made by Sony Entertainment, the creators of Playstation 3 and Playstation 2. As well psx) dedicated/hybrid servers.

FINALBOSS

Banned

What's more likely: Dedicated servers for for PS4 and PS3 or 2 different netcode versions.

satam55

Banned
umm what are you talking about, just because sony don't own any doesnt mean they aren't involved in getting dedicated servers on COD on their platform, considering the competitor is offering dedicated servers at a hugely discounted price you would think Sony would partner with activision to get it on their console aswell considering its the biggest mp game.

No, Sony is not!!!!!!!! "CoD: Ghosts" is Infinity Ward/Activision's game. So they are 100% responsible for renting the servers & infrastructure for their own games. Sony is only responsible for PSN & their own 1st & 2nd party games.

Krakn3Dfx

I'm kind of in awe that people thought this wouldn't happen, given the amount of extra work it would take on IW's part to handle a splintered online architecture over time as opposed to a single design that they could patch/maintain over multiple platforms.

Wii U will probably still get boned on this, but having played Black Ops 2 on it, maybe they'll get a dedicated server. Just the one tho.

What's more likely: Dedicated servers for for PS4 and PS3 or 2 different netcode versions.

COD has supported different netcode versions for years.
PC has supported dedicated servers since like MW3, while consoles didn't.
Black Ops 2 supports both dedicated servers and peer to peer on Xbox 360/PS3, depending on the playlist.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Pretty much confirms it for me, don't know about anyone else.

Yeah, but @yosp's isn't verified, but that's him for sure (right?), I don't know what to believe any more :'( Damn you, internet!

True. But we had actual confirmation from the man himself as well as industry people that its his personal twitter.

I never blame a hardware vendor for trying to moneyhat anything, even information.

That said, shame on IW/Activision for taking the money.

The console wars may result in friendship casualties.
It is a bit ridiculous, but hey, some people are serious for their teams.

Iacobellis

How embarrassing that Microsoft specified in their contract that Infinity Ward can't publicly state the Playstation versions have dedicated servers. So we end up with this nonsense.

Some straight up betrayal! You think if the Xbox One really does sell like shit, that publishers could end their contracts early? I'm thinking of EA and Activision specifically.

Some straight up betrayal! You think if the Xbox One really does sell like shit, that publishers could end their contracts early? I'm thinking of EA and Activision specifically.

They'll jump ship so fast. All these deals were made assuming the Xbox would just coast into next gen

Liamario

Banned
I don't think that PS4 getting dedicated servers was any surprise. The fact that MS paid to keep this info quiet is fairly embarrassing though.

Daffy Duck

This was one of three reasons I switched to xb1.

The other two were forza and DR3.

I may well keep my ps4 order now.

They've been doing it the past 3 games with PC and Consoles. PC has dedicated servers while Consoles are P2P. They could continue it, except now 3 systems are dedicated while 3 of them (PS4, PS3, Wii U?[maybe?]) are P2P.

We're all judging based on assumptions.

Unless Activision wants to pay money they previously didn't WANT to pay for dedicated servers for Wii U and Playstayion. Only reason Xbox is getting Dedicated is because Microsoft is giving developers a nice discount on Azure. Now, assuming (like I said, its all assumptions) Microsoft is okay with Developers using the Azure servers to have Dedicated servers on a competitors platform, without losing the discount, I'm sure Playstation will have dedicated servers.

Heh I'm really not sure why I'm arguing this. :p Like I said I super sure Playstation will get dedicated servers.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
There was never any doubt in my mind that Ghosts would use dedicated servers everywhere. Two reasons:

1. By far, the biggest problem people had with Black Ops 2 MP was that it had horribleP2P net code. Not only did the game do a poor job of choosing hosts, the way that lag compensation worked made it really easy to fool the game into thinking you had a worse connection than you did, which gave you a big handicap over other players.

2. Players will be less willing to put up with poor net code because much of the competition is using dedicated servers. BF4, Killzone, Destiny, and Titanfall will all be using dedicated servers. They would simply lose a lot of players to games that worked better.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet. To my surprise, this is shaping up to be my most anticipated PS4 launch title.

Zemm

The hybrid stuff makes me think league play will be on dedicated and the rest on listen servers. Basically what it is now right?

Funny thing is that dedicated CoD servers is how I convinced my group of 6 friends to go with X1.I wont mention this until after the 22nd.

hahahah lol you are such a fucking dirtbag lol :)

EDIT:

But seriously its a bit fucked up, I'd be offended I were your friend if I found out about your little deception. LOL

Skeff

There will likely be a lot of clauses that muddy the waters such as minimum sales, subscriptions meta critic ratings, all sorts of stuff. Pretty sure minimum sales and meta critic ratings were mentioned specifically in the leaked Destiny contract with Activision, so we know activision specifically likes caveats in their contracts.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
*claps*

I would also like to mention that Ghosts will not have as many DLC map packs as BF4, will likely not have a pay-to-level-up option like BF3 did, and the PC version of Ghosts will not require Origin.

Also I'm fine with them not being true 100% dedis. I don't understand the appeal of server browers, but then again I was never fond of playing dust2 and office 24/7.

Racer1977

Someone on here, a developer, said it would be completely impractical for any game to have different versions of 'net code'. In other words, if there are dedicated servers for a particular game on one console, it's likely the case for all consoles.

We're all judging based on assumptions.

Not really. We're judging based on published statements. The word "exclusive" was nowhere to be found in the Gamescom announcement about Ghosts having dedis on XB1. When specifically asked about dedis on PS4 that same day, Rubin responded that, "we're having to not talk about it right now...but stay tuned".

Now we have today's announcement and twitter activity.

Unless Activision wants to pay money they previously didn't WANT to pay for dedicated servers for Wii U and Playstayion. Only reason Xbox is getting Dedicated is because Microsoft is giving developers a nice discount on Azure. Now, assuming (like I said, its all assumptions) Microsoft is okay with Developers using the Azure servers to have Dedicated servers on a competitors platform, without losing the discount, I'm sure Playstation will have dedicated servers.

It makes no difference whether or not Activision is able to use Azure access for competing consoles. Activision can take their business anywhere and get a nice discount due to the volume they're going to require. Especially if they sign a multi-year deal.

Now, one assumption I'm making here is that the reason why is Battlefield. I think Activision is looking to achieve feature-parity with what they see as their biggest competition going forward. Just my unfounded opinion, though.

Top Bottom