• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty, ladies and gentleman.

Griss

This thread...

wFJnD1X.jpg

tbQQpl4.jpg

Laughing my ass off here. Who thought that was a good idea? How did it not get caught? CoD never fails to entertain.

V_Arnold

This thread is SAD. I mean.... COD is full of useless and glorified violence. If you were not turned off by murdering unarmed (or poorly armed, choose your medicine) soldiers in dozens in a random south-african civil war (or whatever that was in BLOPS2, for example), or any of the million gory, excessively violent act, then suddenly THIS is what gets someone?

I would argue that the "Pay Respect" part makes more sense than the complaints about it. I hope the backlash is just as strong when interactive murder is on table. I just cant wrap my head around this. Murdering is fine interactively, but paying respects is a huge No-NO? Wut? :D

V_Arnold

Hm. I do not agree with this at all (given that in Batman, EVERY action is displayed via this order: BUTTON - action, and in COD, the "press F" comes before the action name, so that is the game's UI structure, nothing more. So it is pointless nitpicking), but it is interesting to see so much thought given to this particular scene.

That it is an unskippable thing should not mean that everyone "pretends" at funerals, or at military funerals. Maybe it means that if you are at a funeral, yeah, even if you disagree with "paying respects" part, you damn sure do not show that there. Because that funeral is not about you, it is about the departed.

bj00rn_

Banned
Its a bunch of things

1) game is up its own ass
2) turning "paying respects" into an objective that must be completed
3) putting a big emotional endeavor on a single key press
4) the phrase "press f to pay respects" could have just not existed. They could have the characters look at you, give you some type of indication that it's your turn to act, then let you walk up and press the action button. Or just "press f to continue" would have been better.

I think many of us agree to that in context to that particular scene. However..
1) the discussion is now more up its own ass than the game ever was (entertaining though, no complaints from me..)
2) just press the key or button and move on

Mugatu

I don't see what the problem is - I'm more offended by everyone jumping on the COD hate wagon for no apparent reason.

biteren

I don't see what the problem is - I'm more offended by everyone jumping on the COD hate wagon for no apparent reason.

its cause they bought it and totally werent ready for exo boosting in MP
i dont
know

its hard to hate this one, its competently made and embarrassingly better that Ghosts i cant stress that enough

This thread is SAD. I mean.... COD is full of useless and glorified violence. If you were not turned off by murdering unarmed (or poorly armed, choose your medicine) soldiers in dozens in a random south-african civil war (or whatever that was in BLOPS2, for example), or any of the million gory, excessively violent act, then suddenly THIS is what gets someone?

I would argue that the "Pay Respect" part makes more sense than the complaints about it. I hope the backlash is just as strong when interactive murder is on table. I just cant wrap my head around this. Murdering is fine interactively, but paying respects is a huge No-NO? Wut? :D

Try reading. You guys are talking to yourselves.

eznark

Banned

F

It's not a big deal, but why is it in there? When I played it I chuckled, said it was useless and then did it. There's just no reason for it.

I really don't think it's a big deal either. It's seems to me like one of those moments where the devs are putting the player in a situation which would usually never be playable. I haven't played the scene but I wouldn't be surprised if the assumption is this scene is a cut scene and then when nothing progresses for a few seconds and the prompt shows up the player realises this is playable section of the game. I've always felt like these moments in games are supposed to make the player connect more with the character / story, whether or not it's actually effective I'm not sure.

I feel like COD has done this a fair amount. 'No Russia' is similar, in the sense that the player gets the feeling: "Wait, I'm actually supposed to play through this scene right now?".

Atuin

This thread...

wFJnD1X.jpg

tbQQpl4.jpg

Laughing my ass off here. Who thought that was a good idea? How did it not get caught? CoD never fails to entertain.

Oh God, that Adios dog gets me every time. Someone please photoshop the card on the coffin or in the picture frame.

shanafan

Must be a slow news day to call attention to this objective in COD - something I don't find an issue with. It's a game. There are far worse things in games that we can be a critic about.

Jackpot

Banned
I've read this entire topic. I have no idea how something as completely unremarkable as a quick time event in a video game could be as blown out of proportion as it has in this thread.

This isn't remotely funny.

"IT'S NOT FUNNY, IT'S NOT FUNNY! STOP LAUGHING!"

So unfunny a professional comedian highlighted this scene on national TV?

misho8723

Banned
It's hilarious out of context, but makes sense when you're playing.

Even seen in context it's a really bad moment.. show that scene to, lets say a person who doesn't play videogames - he would be like : "what the hell is this?", or just a normal person - the same reaction.. it is just a forced "emotional" moment to the player.. the Batman AC tribute to parents is in comparison with this a masterpiece

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
You know, I was thinking that just the fact that it tells you exactly what you are accomplishing is what makes the prompt so bad. If it had just said, "Press X to interact" or something, it would be much less ridiculous.

Top Bottom