• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Mobile has ‘topped 650 million downloads’

Bullet Club

Call of Duty Mobile has ‘topped 650 million downloads’​

Number of players last year almost matched total amount of console and PC users

Call of Duty Mobile has been downloaded over 650 million times, according to Activision Blizzard.

The free-to-play game was released in November 2019 and its publisher previously said it had topped 500 million downloads in May 2021.

A surge in downloads last year coincided with Call of Duty Mobile’s release in China.

In its latest annual report, Activision said Call of Duty Mobile had a record year in 2021, with consumer spending “well above” $1 billion.

“The number of people experiencing Call of Duty on mobile each month almost matched those playing on console and PC in 2021”, it said.

Activision recently announced that it is working a mobile version of free-to-play battle royale game Call of Duty Warzone, which released in March 2020 and topped 100 million players in 13 months.

Last August the company confirmed the formation of an internal mobile game development studio called Solid State, which was established to develop the new entry in the Call of Duty series.

It later confirmed that Beenox, Activision Shanghai and Digital Legends, which was acquired by Activision last year, had also been working on the new Call of Duty mobile game throughout 2021.

Activision is reportedly planning to release Call of Duty: Warzone Mobile in 2022.

Blizzard is also gearing up to deliver Diablo and Warcraft mobile games later this year.

It recently confirmed that Diablo Immortal will be released on June 2, and last week it announced Warcraft Arclight Rumble for Android and iOS devices.

Source: VGC

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Cat GIF

jaysius

Banned
It's hilarious because the game is filled with bots that the company puts there to keep the whales thinking their winning something.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
How can I put this?....
Sounds impressive?...Sure. But when you take into account the amount of smartphones in the world and the fact that MAU are ALMOST the same as consoles and PC.....

Gordon Ramsay Cooking GIF by Masterchef

Things don't add up.

But reveal the actual insight.

Potential mobile market is huge ≠ as the actual market that you gonna get to engage in your service/game in this case.

The later is probably very similar to the console and PC.

As and example. I bought a midrange phone, I downloaded Call Of Duty mobile to test the performance, I played around 4 days (didnt pay for any MTXs) and then uninstalled the game.

kingfey

Banned
How can I put this?....
Sounds impressive?...Sure. But when you take into account the amount of smartphones in the world and the fact that MAU are ALMOST the same as consoles and PC.....

Gordon Ramsay Cooking GIF by Masterchef

Things don't add up.

But reveal the actual insight.

Potential mobile market is huge ≠ as the actual market that you gonna get to engage in your service/game in this case.

The later is probably very similar to the console and PC.

As and example. I bought a midrange phone, I downloaded Call Of Duty mobile to test the performance, I played around 4 days (didnt pay for any MTXs) and then uninstalled the game.
Is that supposed to mean something?

Not everyone will pay the same amount.

Take God of war for example. It took them 4 years to hit 20m sales. Were those sales the same price? Nope. So those numbers are meaningless, if you want to count the actual revenue.

That is the same thing with these numbers.

All it does, is give the idea that 600+m users downloaded the game. 10% of those will generate $700m for them, if they spend just $10.

That is what matters to them. The higher the number is, the more the user will spend money on the game.

Edit: Everything is wrong here.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Is that supposed to mean something?
Yes this:

PC/Console engagement >>>>>>>than mobile engagement..

Not everyone will pay the same amount.
MAU. Baby.

Take God of war for example. It took them 4 years to hit 20m sales. Were those sales the same price? Nope. So those numbers are meaningless, if you want to count the actual revenue.
I am not talking about revenue.

That is the same thing with these numbers.
Not really.
All it does, is give the idea that 600+m users downloaded the game. 10% of those will generate $700m for them, if they spend just $10.
Again..MAU. That is the key data.

That is what matters to them. The higher the number is, the more the user will spend money on the game.
Not really. Just look at the MAU.

kingfey

Banned
What? Nonsense. you can play some consoles and PC games in smartphones already, you can even emulate them (older games)

I don't see your point at all.
I mean the big ones.
Right now, all you see are games, which the switch is capable of running it.

I am taking about halo infinite, Call of Duty (not mobile version), and any AAA games. Those can't run on mobile, unless you are using cloud.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I mean the big ones.
Right now, all you see are games, which the switch is capable of running it.
...this doesn't make sense.
I am taking about halo infinite, Call of Duty (not mobile version), and any AAA games. Those can't run on mobile, unless you are using cloud.
Alien Isolation is running on smartphones. Also Civilization, and even X-Com1/2?.

Again....I don't see how your point is relevant to this topic.

There is no metric. Just time.
Its matter of time, before mobile is able to run console games soon.
Ironically, time is the metric. How long do mobile players play games for? Of those 650 million downloads, how many play the game as much, or more than the console equivilent?

Not that I believe these numbers for a second. The only way I would swallow 650 million downloads, would be if downloading the app gave you cosmetics in the console version. In which case the 650 million figure is useless.

kingfey

Banned
Yes this:

PC/Console engagement >>>>>>>than mobile engagement.
Mobile has higher engagement than consoles.
I dont see your point here.

MAU. Baby.
A single game managed to have 600+m downloads. That should show you the MAU engagement.
Everyone is on their phone. All it takes is a click on app store/playstore.

I am not talking about revenue
That is what matters to these publishers. They can generate more money, due to higher user engagement, which has more chances to drop money, compared to measly 20m console users who can at most drop $60-$70 at once.

They can generate that easily from 1 time $10 from 70m mobile users.

Again..MAU. That is the key data.
Again, MAU is simple click from your phone store. Unlike Consoles, people check their phones everyday.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Ironically, time is the metric. How long do mobile players play games for? Of those 650 million downloads, how many play the game as much, or more than the console equivilent?

Not that I believe these numbers for a second. The only way I would swallow 650 million downloads, would be if downloading the app gave you cosmetics in the console version. In which case the 650 million figure is useless.
Mobile players sink more time than consoles players.

I sink tons of time playing a mobile game, more than I spent on console game.

Your phone is literally on your pocket. You can play it on the bathroom, break room. There is no limit to your play time.

Console gamers need some reality check.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
...this doesn't make sense.

Alien Isolation is running on smartphones. Also Civilization, and even X-Com1/2?.

Again....I don't see how your point is relevant to this topic.
Tell me a phone, which can run newest games. Or even AAA ps4/Xbox one games.

They aren't close now for the devs. It will take time for them to run those games.

Your phone is literally on your pocket. You can play it on the bathroom, break room. There is no limit to your play time.

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

How can "playing while having a shit or in the breakroom" translate to hours sunk on a night on a console? It sounds like your personal view is clouding your objectivity.

Consoles can't do streaming or cloud gaming because bad inturnetz, but some hobo with a shite old samsung is thrashing out hours of COD?

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Mobile has higher engagement than consoles.
I dont see your point here.
MAU says other wise.

A single game managed to have 600+m downloads. That should show you the MAU engagement.
Everyone is on their phone. All it takes is a click on app store/playstore.
A single "Free to play" game with a potential install base of 4-6 BiBiBillion devices.

And yet MAU are smaller than consoles and PC

That is what matters to these publishers. They can generate more money, due to higher user engagement,
Higher?...you are ignoring the MAU baby.

which has more chances to drop money, compared to measly 20m console users who can at most drop $60-$70 at once.
MTXs are a thing in console and PV games as well.

They can generate that easily from 1 time $10 from 70m mobile users.
The same can be said about consoles and PC 'live games/free to play games". Both are not mutually exclusive.

Again, MAU is simple click from your phone store. Unlike Consoles, people check their phones everyday.
And YET CONSOLES and PC have HIGHER MAU that mobile. Baby, It is in the OP.

kingfey

Banned
Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

How can "playing while having a shit or in the breakroom" translate to hours sunk on a night on a console? It sounds like your personal view is clouding your objectivity.

Consoles can't do streaming or cloud gaming because bad inturnetz, but some hobo with a shite old samsung is thrashing out hours of COD?
Yeah, why do you think mobile generates billions then?

People play games on their phones religiously.

Its easy to sink more time on your phone, than your consoles.

Plus who is talking about streaming? Mobile have their own native games. CoD mobile, fortnite.

Also people don't have consoles. India and China are the 2 biggest mobile market, which consoles don't exist that much.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Tell me a phone, which can run newest games. Or even AAA ps4/Xbox one games.

A phone? Do you realize that there are low-mid-high end phones, right?

Genshin impact is a new AAA game...running in phones.
They aren't close now for the devs. It will take time for them to run those games.
So phones are going to get mote powerful right?....What about PC and Consoels? Are those devices not getting more powerfull over time as well?

I dunno what are you trying to say.

kingfey

Banned
MAU says other wise.

A single "Free to play" game with a potential install base of 4-6 BiBiBillion devices.

And yet MAU are smaller than consoles and PC

Higher?...you are ignoring the MAU baby.

MTXs are a thing in console and PV games as well.

The same can be said about consoles and PC 'live games/free to play games". Both are not mutually exclusive.

And YET CONSOLES and PC have HIGHER MAU that mobile. Baby, It is in the OP.
Consoles can't even reach 400m combined. Please spare yourself from further embarrassment.

Edit: Wrong info

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
A phone? Do you realize that there are low-mid-high end phones, right?

Genshin impact is a new AAA game...running in phones.

So phones are going to get mote powerful right?....What about PC and Consoels? Are those devices not getting more powerfull over time as well?

I dunno what are you trying to say.
Again, since you want to argue about nothing.
Current mobile can only run switch games. They aren't powerful enough to run AAA games.

Unlike Consoles which have 4-8 years refresh, mobile gets refreshed every year.

It will be a matter of time, before they are powerful enough to run COD.

But as of now, they are nowhere strong enough for that.

Yeah, why do you think mobile generates billions then?
inflating the numbers of downloads using India and China as a cover. There aren't 650 million people in the US and Europe. So you're saying every mobile owner in the west and every mobile owner in india and china all downloaded COD and play it religiously?
People play games on their phones religiously.
Once on a Sunday? And they may play games religiously, I'm asking how often and for how long they 'play' these games. A console gaming session isn't turning on the game, then going back to work after 30 seconds.

Its easy to sink more time on your phone, than your consoles.
Not according to your own views. It's easy to sink 10 minutes in to playing a phone game while shitting. Unless your turds take 1 hour, you're playing on a console more. Plus, mobile gaming isn't communcal like console games are.

Plus who is talking about streaming? Mobile have their own native games. CoD mobile, fortnite.
Fortnite on mobile is a single player game?

Also people don't have consoles. India and China are the 2 biggest mobile market, which consoles don't exist that much.
2 of the most corrupt countries in the world, both of whom rely on their industrial sectors funded by the west, can't afford consoles, but can afford more relatively expensive mobile phones, with relatively poor internet and, in the case of China, more restrictions than anywhere else?

What two countries have more bot farms than anywhere else? I want to say Ireland and Columbia, but that doesn't sound right.

kingfey

Banned
MAU ≠ installed base. Bro.

You are the only one embarrassing himself. You didn't even read the OP. 🤣😂🤣😂
For fuck sake, do you understand yourself?

People have their phones on their pocket. A simple click on the store is enough to register them as MAU.

Here is a link if you want to know about mobile users.

Wrong info.

Last edited:

StormCell

All this says is that mobile is simply more available than the gaming platforms are presently. I think maybe you haven't noticed Xbox Games going massively mobile and cloud. When I was sitting at the hospital overnight when my wife was in labor, I played Xbox with my controller using my phone as a display.

Basically, your predictions are like "Hey, look, there's gonna be much bigger atomic blasts in the future!" after witnessing the close of World War 2. It's basically a total given that the entire Xbox platform is going to be accessible on mobile, and the same will be true for Playstation. Today, you can do it via streaming from your hardware or via cloud, but tomorrow you will download the platform onto your device and game provided your hardware is compatible, which it will be because they're taking it all into consideration and building that into their plans.

It's not that mobile will swallow traditional gaming, it's that traditional gaming (that being gaming which utilizes a traditional controller) will assimilate the available hardware in the future. The future is hardware agnostic just like the cloud.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
, since you want to argue about nothing.
Current mobile can only run switch games. They aren't powerful enough to run AAA games.
Are you aware than The Witcher 3 is running on the switch?

Unlike Consoles which have 4-8 years refresh, mobile gets refreshed every year.
So?
The vast majority of people don't buy a new phone every year.

It will be a matter of time, before they are powerful enough to run COD.
What are you talking about?! This is not the point AT ALL!!

But as of now, they are nowhere strong enough for that.
Yisus.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
For fuck sake, do you understand yourself?

People have their phones on their pocket. A simple click on the store is enough to register them as MAU
And yet, MAU (monthly active users) is BIGGER on PC and Consoles than mobile Is in the the OP...READ!!!!!:

"The number of people experiencing Call of Duty on mobile each month almost matched those playing on console and PC in 2021”, it said.

Almost = close but smaller.

kingfey

Banned
inflating the numbers of downloads using India and China as a cover. There aren't 650 million people in the US and Europe. So you're saying every mobile owner in the west and every mobile owner in india and china all downloaded COD and play it religiously?
Yes. Because they are either busy with their PC, or their phone. Consoles don't exist that much in these 2 region.

These people don't have consoles to play that game. So mobile is their option to play it. Which they spend most of their time playing it.

Once on a Sunday? And they may play games religiously, I'm asking how often and for how long they 'play' these games. A console gaming session isn't turning on the game, then going back to work after 30 seconds.
Just like how you play video games on your console.
People play like that on their phone.

I used to play a game called summoners alot. Most of my time spent farming and chatting with people. I didn't have a console at that time, aside of the OG xbox, and the ps4 for my little brother.

Not according to your own views. It's easy to sink 10 minutes in to playing a phone game while shitting. Unless your turds take 1 hour, you're playing on a console more. Plus, mobile gaming isn't communcal like console games are.
You are using bathroom example.
People play their phone in their house too. Bathroom is extra time for mobile users, which console users don't have.

Just like how you sit playing on your console, people use that to play on their phone.

Fortnite on mobile is a single player game
What does that have to do with game time?

2 of the most corrupt countries in the world, both of whom rely on their industrial sectors funded by the west, can't afford consoles, but can afford more relatively expensive mobile phones, with relatively poor internet and, in the case of China, more restrictions than anywhere else?

What two countries have more bot farms than anywhere else? I want to say Ireland and Columbia, but that doesn't sound right.
Wtf?
Dude what the hell are you talking about?
Have you ever seen the number of iPhone these people have?
Also consoles don't have enough big markets on those countries. Blame console manufacturers for not accessing those 2 countries.

The mobile industry benefited massively from their absence.

Wrong info.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
And yet, MAU (monthly active users) is BIGGER on PC and Consoles than mobile Is in the the OP...READ!!!!!:

"The number of people experiencing Call of Duty on mobile each month almost matched those playing on console and PC in 2021”, it said.

Almost = close but smaller.
How convenient that you are leaving "and".

Here is a link for you.

"However, the number of downloads is different from the number of active players. We at activeplayer.io have estimated that 70% or 210 million are actively playing the CoD: Mobile and only 10% or 30~ million players are playing it daily."

Hope this ends your useless debate.

Wrong info

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
How convenient that you are leaving "and".

Here is a link for you.

"However, the number of downloads is different from the number of active players. We at activeplayer.io have estimated that 70% or 210 million are actively playing the CoD: Mobile and only 10% or 30~ million players are playing it daily."

Hope this ends your useless debate.
MAU ≠ number of downloads

You just prove my point several times between this circus of yours.

Now, put me in your ignore list and run like a coward from a conversation you can't prove your weak and wrong ass nonsensical point.

Yes. Because they are either busy with their PC, or their phone. Consoles don't exist that much in these 2 region.

These people don't have consoles to play that game. So mobile is their option to play it. Which they spend most of their time playing it.
650 million people are playing one game in these regions? Or playing that one game enough to prove that mobile is bigger than gaming?
Just like how you play video games on your console.
People play like that on their phone.
With a controller and a big TV?

You are using bathroom example.
People play their phone in their house too. Bathroom is extra time for mobile users, which console users don't have.
People would rather play their phone than a console? If that's the case, how do Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo even sell consoles, seems as, following your logic, every one has a mobile phone.

Just like how you sit playing on your console, people use that to play on their phone.
A controller and a big TV?
What does that have to do with game time?
I forgot the '?'. I was making a point that you need to connect to other people via the internet in order to play online games. If the internet isn't good enough for consoles to play online, how is it good enough for people to play on games?
Wtf?
Dude what the hell are you talking about?
Have you ever seen the number of iPhone these people have?
Also consoles don't have enough big markets on those countries. Blame console manufacturers for not accessing those 2 countries.
I'll wait to see if you can connect the dots between one company selling a supposed shite load of tech and 3 companies at a minimum, almost blankly refusing to sell their tech in those countries.

The mobile industry benefited massively from their absence.
I don't doubt that. People need a fix some way.

Top Bottom