• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare beta netcode was worse than Black Ops 4, Battlefield 5, Fortnite or PUBG.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare features a really low TTK and it currently suffers from high latency issues. This combination can be enough to frustrate a lot of players, and lead to a disappointing multiplayer experience. In case you aren’t aware of, TTK means “Time To Kill”. The game has more “lag” than Battlefield 5, Fortnite or PUBG. Its 32v32 mode has also higher latency issues than Black Ops 4’s battle royale Blackout mode.

qJ21buM.png

Even PUBG a 100 player BR with a huge map destroys new CodMW19... what were they thinking that players are so dumb or something?

Gamernyc78

Banned
Thts funny with all the positive feedback from the beta and open beta. My God I must be special or super slow lol bcus I don't notice none of tht shit and have been gaming 30 plus years lol. I'm thankful bcus I can imagine it being a buzz kill for most ppl that do.

Mista

Banned
Was very very obvious. Sometimes you get shit like that but all you say is “Maybe I lagged at that moment”

But in MW’s case? I shoot and then go behind a wall, BOOM, DEAD. Excuse me? I took cover before he hit me with his other shots. You watch the killcam, you weren’t even behind the wall. Absolute legends

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Can't say I noticed, if there is it's not as bad as my famous run in building and go and drop down dead with the kill cam being outside the building in BLOPS3

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Didn't notice it from the time I played. But it's no surprise since COD still use peer 2 peer and not real servers.

Caffeine

how is it that netcode seems to just get worse over time in all genres. occasionally u will have a dev that probably close to perfect then their next game its shit.

Last edited:

Caffeine

Was very very obvious. Sometimes you get shit like that but all you say is “Maybe I lagged at that moment”

But in MW’s case? I shoot and then go behind a wall, BOOM, DEAD. Excuse me? I took cover before he hit me with his other shots. You watch the killcam, you weren’t even behind the wall. Absolute legends
to be fair the killcams have always been wrong, they are just snapshots the server is doing and they string together those snapshots. if you have ever viewed theater mode in a black ops title it uses the same method, you will start to notice some weird stuff going on that doesnt look natural to what you just played.

Mista

Banned
to be fair the killcams have always been wrong, they are just snapshots the server is doing and they string together those snapshots. if you have ever viewed theater mode in a black ops title it uses the same method, you will start to notice some weird stuff going on that doesnt look natural to what you just played.
Also true to be honest.

Gamernyc78

Banned
remember that one week last year when everyone cared about server tick rates then forgot about it.

Or the week I played the ground war beta and some ppl complained about the fps drops yet I was having a blast killing tons of ppl and didn't notice it at all lol 😂 😂 😂

near

Gold Member
TTK is really really low especially having been playing a lot of Apex Legends as of late, but it works for you as much as it works against you. I’m still undecided on how I feel about the beta experience overall, having said that I didn’t notice any netcode issues.

MiguelItUp

I guess this shouldn't be too surprising, ever since the original MW it feels like it just declined little by little IMO.

rubhen925

It was pretty sad tbh the beta. Half the time I would get in cover easily only drop dead. Looking at kill cam would make me mad at the latency lol

Larogue

It's a common theme with all Infinity ward's Call of duty (Ghosts, Infinite warfare all had shitty net-code).

Whitecrow

Banned
Technically speaking, what is wrong is what we see in our game, while those server snapshots are what is actually happening in the game.

Codes 208

I was very intrigued by this when it was first rumored as I loved the MW series. But between the beta and the recent announcement of that year long sony exclusive and the return of lootboxes this game is quickly becoming a “I’ll wait for a sale.”

Z O N E

I'm used to getting shot behind walls sometimes and whatnot as I tend to play with my American friends, so we always get West Coast servers majority of the time. But this was on another level terrible for me. CoD needs to really step up and hire new people for their multiplayer portion.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I noticed it on occasion but as long as it's affecting everyone and not just me I'll continue to play and hope it's improved with updates. I still enjoyed the beta immensely and bought my digital copy.

Glad this is getting more exposure. This absolutely needs to be prioritized, but the devs haven't said a single peep regarding it. I loved the beta's gameplay, but there were far too many times where the kill cam showed that I actually didn't shoot bullets even though I unloaded at least 5-10 shots.

Everyone interested in the game should be voicing this concern. It's unacceptable.

mcz117chief

That is just "host state rewind" doing its work. That has always been the case in Call of Duty games and frankly, most online games that I can recall.

-Arcadia-

Banned
remember that one week last year when everyone cared about server tick rates then forgot about it.

This was so fucking weird. I’ve been playing and following games forever, and this just suddenly crops up everywhere, and becomes as important as resolution and framerate, only to disappear just as fast.

Most people are NPCs waiting for scripts to run, in which case, those scripts suddenly become the ultimate truth out of nowhere. That doesn’t have to be political.

mcz117chief

This was so fucking weird. I’ve been playing and following games forever, and this just suddenly crops up everywhere, and becomes as important as resolution and framerate, only to disappear just as fast.

Most people are NPCs waiting for scripts to run, in which case, those scripts suddenly become the ultimate truth out of nowhere. That doesn’t have to be political.
Nah, there has always been talk about tick rates in online FPS games. I remember it being a big deal when Overwatch came out, for example.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Nah, there has always been talk about tick rates in online FPS games. I remember it being a big deal when Overwatch came out, for example.

I can’t speak for that, as I didn’t really have interest. All I know, is it popped up overnight for every major game, creating big controversies and making developers change course, then there wasn’t a trace of it. A story worthy of Mulder.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Considering how shit Ground War performance is on X, I totally believe crap netcode is there too.

It's amazing that I played Unreal in around 2001 with a Pentium III and my games played smoother if picked a server with good ping times.

It's 2019, everyone has better gear, routers, high speed internet, and you'd think in 20 years programmers would have programmed better netcode in the past two decades, but somehow laggy netcode is still a thing. And we are 3 months away from the year 2020. And most people playing Call of Duty will choose the standard 6 vs 6 game modes, which is probably even smaller matches than Doom MP on 56k modems in 1996.

I'm not a programmer, but isn't internet MP all about your hardware hosting all the graphics and gameplay, and all a server does it really just relay to everyone coordinates? Some kind of x and y shit? And that's the brunt of it?

It's not like people are transmitting 4k images back and forth to everyone bogging things down.

How the fuck does this happen?

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I can’t speak for that, as I didn’t really have interest. All I know, is it popped up overnight for every major game, creating big controversies and making developers change course, then there wasn’t a trace of it. A story worthy of Mulder.
It is a big deal though. Having a low tick rate is annoying as hell and it might look like the hitboxes are all fucked up.

INC

Anyone who played it, must of know it was trash, just like every other cod before it

2v wasnt too bad, but its 4 people. Anything high than that was awful netcode wise

Some killcams apparently I wasnt even firing my gun at players, yet my screen I'd fired off shots

Modern gaming, gotta cater for the trash connections and make it "fair" for everyone

Well, should I be happy it’s not just my internet (what I originally thought) or be sad because this is, of course, really bad?

But it makes sense. Played hundreds of BF hours and it was always much better than this. Overwatch was nigh perfect and we can see that in those stats.

I don’t know man, was really hyped for this game but this is like cornerstone of every good mp experience. I’m very flexible though, I can adapt and I did in beta but that usually means more camping and slower, safer play.

But do I wanna reward devs for this incompetence? SP will probably be great, smaller mp modes should be less affected but still, I’m making excuses for them.

I just wish EA didn’t fuck up BFV , especially presentation early on and drive away many of its fans. I wouldn’t even think about CoD in that case.

It definitely had weird lag issues, I had more trouble with TTD, though. On my screen I'd be dead in 1 shot, on the kill cam they shot me like 6 times with hit markers.

DonF

I dont think the beta had p2p, at least on PS4. I found myself in plenty of death cams of people countries away from me, running straight towards them, doing absolutely nothing.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is this crossplay side effect?
No, it is called spending as little as possible on infrastructure, particularly when players typically don't find out just how bad it is until after they've bought the game.

If suckers are going to keep buying the games there's no need to spend the money---both up front and ongoing---on infrastructure to support a better client-server architecture.

I see some people in the thread wondering why we didn't have this problem long ago. Long ago you were playing on the closest server to you and that server was dedicated and had a smaller playercount in most cases than today. It had a lot less data to push, or you were playing very small usercounts in p2p with again a very close to you host and smaller amounts of data to push. You had a server browser most of the time and were able to pick a good server relatively close to you. You don't get that in most games nowadays, you have centralized matchmaking and you get what it gives you.

Those models are almost non-existent nowadays for two reasons: piracy and cheating. Centralized servers, run by the publisher and/or companies under contract to the publisher make both cheating and piracy a bit more difficult than when everybody has dedicated server code.

The companies that have spent the money for better infrastructure only do so after the community overwhelmingly demands it, as was the case with Battlefield and Overwatch.

Last edited:

TUROK

Infinite Warfare eventually ended up having a pretty good connection after a spotty release.

I ain't worried about shit.

Top Bottom