• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare impressions — Taking war in a frightening direction

Personally, this is the first Call of Duty in years that has peaked my interest. The trailer looked very good. I think they are back on the right track with this one. Having a single player campaign again is going to be awesome. I can’t believe it I’m going to say this, but this is a day one purchase for me. As for the censorship... I am starting to become disgusted with how everything is the subject of controversy these days. From sex to violence, it ALL has to be censored to “protect” someone. Why is it that video games are targeted for these things, but movies and TV get off without a hitch? It’s ridiculous.

Personally, this is the first Call of Duty in years that has peaked my interest. The trailer looked very good. I think they are back on the right track with this one. Having a single player campaign again is going to be awesome. I can’t believe it I’m going to say this, but this is a day one purchase for me. As for the censorship... I am starting to become disgusted with how everything is the subject of controversy these days. From sex to violence, it ALL has to be censored to “protect” someone. Why is it that video games are targeted for these things, but movies and TV get off without a hitch? It’s ridiculous.
I think there is still an archaic stigma attached to gaming. You know, that it's 'for kids'. Patently absurd in this day and age, but there you go.

I think there is still an archaic stigma attached to gaming. You know, that it's 'for kids'. Patently absurd in this day and age, but there you go.

I guess you’re right, but you’d think people would realize facts prove otherwise. The ESRB was established to keep kids from getting their hands on adults only games, but unfortunately it’s a joke in all honesty. Parents will just buy their kids Mature rated games and yet somehow that’s supposed to justify censorship when the only ones who SHOULD have access to games with said mature rated content are ADULTS. Ugh.

Last edited:
I hope the gaming media does pick this fight. I hope the are all unified on it.

I hope Activision doesn’t change anything related to gaming media complaints.

Silent Duck

When I first read the “article”, I thought it was probably some VentureBeat virtue signal-fest, then I read “by Dean Takahashi” and then I changed my mind.

This is how I imagined the writing process went:
32dfft.jpg

juliotendo

Nonsense articles like this will just make the game more successful when it releases. I don’t expect some baby boomer pseudo intellectual journalist to understand video games well anyways.

Nobody ever complains about these kind of things when they appear in films on a yearly basis, or on television shows. If anything these types of films and shows are praised as “raw” and “eye opening”.......

....God forbid a video game that depicts the reality of modern war and carnage is so... violent and upsetting. The real world is a rough place.

Nonsense articles like this will just make the game more successful when it releases. I don’t expect some baby boomer pseudo intellectual journalist to understand video games well anyways.

Nobody ever complains about these kind of things when they appear in films on a yearly basis, or on television shows. If anything these types of films and shows are praised as “raw” and “eye opening”.......

....God forbid a video game that depicts the reality of modern war and carnage is so... violent and upsetting. The real world is a rough place.

The article sold me on the game. 🤷‍♂️

Never gonna be in favor of censoring a game / book / movie / anything.

Let the creators make what they want to make. The game is rated M for Mature.

That said, this is Call of Duty, so I'm not going to have any expectations of controversial moments being handled with any delicacy / nuance / skill.

Would love to be proven wrong since this is shaping up to be the first CoD I check out in a while.

Bryank75

Banned
It's so good to see the SAS back as the main 'protagonists'.
It's sad but John 'Mac' McAleese who Price is based on, died a few years ago from a heart attack in Greece after his son Paul died from an IED in Helmand. Then during the rememberence day celebrations his widow committed suicide...

A soldiers life is hard and they give everything to keep us safe, it's not all mindless killing. There is a lot of humanitarian work and hearts and minds type operations. The decisions that have to be made are sometimes impossible and I am glad a game is making steps towards being more representative and not just a bombastic Bay movie in game form.

mcz117chief

MW games have always been a little controversial. It might not be much of a comparison but MW3 has that one scene of a family vacationing and a little girl getting blown up from a truck parked with explosives.

I feel like shouldn’t add a warning but it may be sensitive to some.

When I played MW3 and I was told that "sensitive content" was about to play all I could say after seeing this scene was "that's it?". It was really weak and not shocking at all. If the bomb exploded in a school and you would see little kids running out with their faces melted and vomiting their entrails then maybe.

Last edited:
I guess it had its moments. Point being people crying on Twitter today is nowhere near as bad as the conservative groups back then who did actually get rating boards & game companies to censor games.
Yeah i don't know if I would label tipper gore and Hillary Clinton as conservative. They started a lot of the nonsense in the 80s. The rating board never caused censorship though, it just put ratings on games. No big deal. The no blood in the NES version you have a point there, but that was Nintendo choice, as the Sega versions were having none of it. Nintendo just wanted to remain family focused and they did have blood in the next version so they didn't win out.

Jack Thompson later on in the 00s was just crazy and didn't get anything done. As there was a united front against him.

When I seen Anita Sarkisian hit the seen I seen every games journalist in lock step along with what to me looked like a large group of gamers who felt like they got indoctrinated by her videos. I don't understand how. She actively went around and subverted from within many studios to the point they listened to her and changed game designs to pander. It was sad that the games media didn't show one once of push back. It was all fans. If we protested it was silence, banning and censorship. This very site was notorious for it. Along with others I seen. You weren't allowed to have an opinion without being ostracized from the community. Which imo is way messed up and way worse than anything the 90s people ever did. They didn't try to silence people.

Fast. Forward a few years and the cult has spread so much you have companies like Sony censoring an ass crack of a woman in devil may cry. Other companies changing things based on the Twitter outrage. It's bullshit. Artists need to stand their ground. They need to stop capitulating as it makes it worse and let's censors know they can get what they want.

Shifty

Honestly I don't think I'm in favour of the article or the game it's on about.

Dean 'Bad At Videogames' Takahashi is just doing a bunch of melodramatic hand-wringing to stoke the fires of concern for clicks, so nothing new there. The attempt at sounding concerned is proper laughable.

MW on the other hand is rolling on with the writing style that debuted after they realized the MW1 nuke scene had an effect on people. That one had a degree of surprise and nuance to it, but each entry since has been a case of waiting for the big shock value moment to pop as the devs attempt to make your jaw hit the floor but inevitably overshoot into OW THE EDGE territory.

meh at those respawn devs leaving for more call of duty, breaks my damn heart
Apex instead of Titanfall 3 was the stab, notable devs returning to CoD is the twist of the knife :messenger_frowning_

Moses85

Here in Germany we have this kind of discussion since 15 years.

I am tired talking about that. It’s the job of the parents to avoid children don’t play such games. I know parents which allow their children (8-13) to play GTA V or Mortal Kombat.. what’s wrong with them?

I already asked them and they told me. We can’t avoid they are playing such games with their friends outside, so we take care they are playing this at home to have it under control 🤦🏻‍♂️

Mista

Banned
It’s cute how some violence is controversial, yes there’s something extreme that I didn’t like hearing but that’s optional at the end. What I find funny is this time the actual terrorists in the game isn’t a stereotype Muslim. About damn time...

It’s cute how some violence is controversial, yes there’s something extreme that I didn’t like hearing but that’s optional at the end. What I find funny is this time the actual terrorists in the game isn’t a stereotype Muslim. About damn time...
I was thinking this last night

I am super excited for the story and playing that new perspective.

It’s odd how if a game and story is super generic, it will be quickly called out for it. But if it is new and thought provoking... same thing.

Mista

Banned
I was thinking this last night

I am super excited for the story and playing that new perspective.

It’s odd how if a game and story is super generic, it will be quickly called out for it. But if it is new and thought provoking... same thing.
Me too man. Playing half of the campaign as an Arab soldier got my hyped. People likes the fuss so they’ll make a big deal out of everything eventually to get into an argument. Or at least that’s what I noticed

Revas

I don't care for CoD. This one seems interesting, but some the impressions from the article sound silly. Kids sneaking around stabbing soldiers? Just seems like fodder for controversy rather than anything compelling.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Other mediums explore such mature content. Why can't video games? Don't play it if it bothers you.

Your avatar literally bit arms off of children, hunted them down, made their meat taste better though cortisol rushed torment and fear, children literally starred in it; universally praised. Was a great flick.

Games; "somebody think of the children", but let's not address the elephant in the room that it is up to the individual parents.

Last edited:
Your avatar literally bit arms off of children, hunted them down, made their meat taste better though cortisol rushed torment and fear, children literally stared in it; universally praised. Was a great flick.

Games; "somebody think of the children", but let's not address the elephant in the room that it is up to the individual parents.

I haven't read the book yet, but I've seen the movies. The book is on my next to read list.

Well, I lied...I read part of it but shit got in the way.

I'm glad they are taking this direction.
This is what Call of Duty is but with each release after MW2 its just become a joke.
Especially Treyarchs games.
Well I'm sure Treyarch will get their chance to ham it up next year.
I agree. I loved cod 2, the game the pulled me in on PC years ago. Its single player csmpaign was amazing. How they actually tried to make things realistic. I then was ecstatic about mw1. This was before it blew up. When cod mw2 came out it blew up in popularity. Waw was another great game. I loved everything about that game. There treyarch I think did a great job.

The series lost me on the whole black ops games. The stories were always so disjointed. Felt tacked on and imo, rushed. The same level of care got reduced in each game until now there is no campaign in bo4.

I hope this game is successful, as I heard they were toying with making cod free2play which would mean no campaign and it would be no better than fortnite (cringe), with micros all over the place.

Ivellios

When i first read about the controversy about this trailer, i was expecting something truly brutal and full of gore.

Well i watched it and there is nothing of the sort, just journalists overreacting yet again.

I dont usually like Call of Duty but this one definetely looks really interesting.

Man, I really hope they stay strong in their approach. This is the first time I've really been excited to dive back in COD since MW3 (though I rented BO4 [not for me]).

Its been easy to forget this after so many years of redundancy, but I remember how those old games used to make me feel back when they were more realistic. A true experience like no other. They're coming back to this level of quality. The culture has changed so much since the COD4 days. And it's bullshit. But hopefully this won't affect anything.

Last edited:
Im actually baffled we didn't get any new footage for E3, just random developer chat. Is this the first time COD hasnt actually shown anything at E3 for a decade?

They showed two new screenshots and released renders of the main cast.

Very sparse for E3.

The rumor is that in July there will be a streamed/public event:

Top Bottom