• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: [R E F L E X] (Wii) Screens

[Nintex]

The next time there is an interview about this game, they should be asked:
"Why aren't you releasing any screenshots or trailers for a game that hits stores in less than a month, does it really look that bad that you're ashamed to showcase the title?"

Easy_D

never left the stone age
[Nintex] said:
"Why aren't you releasing any screenshots or trailers for a game that hits stores in less than a month, does it really look that bad that you're ashamed to showcase the title?"
Wouldn't be surprised if they aren't even allowed to ask questions regarding the graphics :lol

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
[Nintex] said:
I think that this was another GC interview, so they probably didn't have the place of mind when getting the questions ready.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
doomed1 said:
I think that this was another GC interview, so they probably didn't have the place of mind when getting the questions ready.
Yeah, but when talking about a game like this you'd think that visuals would be one of the first things on your mind. It is a port, after all.

luoapp

Easy_D said:
Wouldn't be surprised if they aren't even allowed to ask questions regarding the graphics :lol

The thing is, those screenshots are so bad, you'd think they want to have something "better" out just for damage controling.

rezuth

Where is the screens and videos for this game? It's less than a month until they launch this, can it really be that terrible looking?

Sadist

Yeah, the release of this game won't be pretty. Can't wait for more reviews where they compare this to the other versions.

leroy hacker said:
Is "nowt" standard in British writing? I have never seen naught spelled that way before, and it took me some time to even figure that's what was meant.

"Nowt" is just a little bit of British regional dialect laid down on paper (Yorkshire, I think).

squicken

8547.sidebyside2.jpg

God knows I don't like the Wii, but these shots are from 2 different parts of the game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The wii shot kind of highlights to me that I never thought the 360 or PS3 versions were that good looking anyway (actually, rather bad looking). So my only question now is: gansta y/n?

Cosmonaut X said:
"Nowt" is just a little bit of British regional dialect laid down on paper (Yorkshire, I think).
Aye lad, that's spot on. The 'nowt taken out' expression dates back to the old Allinson's bread commercial if your old enough to remember, "Bread wi' Nowt Taken Out".

micromagic said:
Aye lad, that's spot on. The 'nowt taken out' expression dates back to the old Allison's bread commercial if your old enough to remember, "Bread wi' Nowt Taken Out".

Heh - and as t'board has taught me, there's nowt so queer as folk ;-)

Y2Kev said:
The wii shot kind of highlights to me that I never thought the 360 or PS3 versions were that good looking anyway (actually, rather bad looking). So my only question now is: gansta y/n?

What do you think of the graphics of MW2?

hellclerk

Jethro said:
All I wanna say is they don't really care about us.
Thank you for your wonderful and thoughtful contribution

:Motorbass said:
GameInformer Pro Journalism strikes again and brings us this Screenshot Comparison between the Alpha-Wii Version and the HD Game:

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/10/14/cod-side-by-side.aspx
indeed, this is really just sad on all fronts. i wish that they would just release some media and stop killing this game before it releases...

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Y2Kev said:
Well the 360/PS3 versions were at 60fps so there is an acceptable trade-off to achieve that - the Wii version is unlikely to reach that.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
micromagic said:
Aye lad, that's spot on. The 'nowt taken out' expression dates back to the old Allinson's bread commercial if your old enough to remember, "Bread wi' Nowt Taken Out".

What was the bread commercials the Scott brothers used to direct. Hovis I think? Now that takes me back. Ok digression over.

Razien

Banned
Jethro said:
All I wanna say is they don't really care about us.

*pudu pa parupa padu pa para*

Just a question, why did this get bumped? Still no footage, probably less content (well, number of online players was already reduced), and two years later - who cares?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
What do you think of the graphics of MW2?
I haven't seen any media for it other than the first trailer. It's something I'll play, but it's not the type of game I really get excited for.

This one I hear has gangsta style shooting though. goty? seems so.

The lack of screens and gameplay videos are the only thing keeping me from preordering the game. Love COD4 and from playing World at War on PC and Wii, I have learned that IR controls significantly increase my enjoyment of an FPS. But I'm not preordering if I don't know what the hell is going to show up at my door.

Anyway, has anyone heard of the new control scheme? The one that eliminates the bounding box?

Usually you moving the cursor outside of the bounding box to move the camera. As I understand it, precision mode is where you can point at anywhere in the screen and the camera adjusts to give you the best view.

I'm not sure if that was a good explaination, but that's how I understand it.

Sounds very very interesting.

Disguises

Rush2thestart said:
Anyway, has anyone heard of the new control scheme? The one that eliminates the bounding box?

Never heard anything about this. : /

They should just hurry and release a trailer. It's much less than a month away now and I expected a trailer the end of September at the latest. I'm also waiting on the trailer to decide whether or not to preorder, so it better be good (if there is one).

Tannhauser

Neo Member
AceBandage said:
Poor Wii owners?
Poor gaming industry.
Erm, has the Wii taken 50% market share then?

Amusing how you tried to equate the entire space of the gaming industry with the subset that is the Wii owners though. Not to mention the only real victims are those who only own a Wii which is a much smaller minority.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The lack of screens and gameplay videos are the only thing keeping me from preordering the game. Love COD4 and from playing World at War on PC and Wii, I have learned that IR controls significantly increase my enjoyment of an FPS. But I'm not preordering if I don't know what the hell is going to show up at my door.
To be fair, the shots released for World at War were just as bad as these CoD4 shots. The games just don't look very good on the Wii, but if you've enjoyed the previous CoD Wii titles, I don't see why this wouldn't work for you as well.

that gameinformer comparison must be some kind of joke, yea?
what the ugly fuck? How can anyone, who calls himself a "professional", put out something like this?
game journalism deluxe really

Disguises said:
Never heard anything about this. : /

They should just hurry and release a trailer. It's much less than a month away now and I expected a trailer the end of September at the latest. I'm also waiting on the trailer to decide whether or not to preorder, so it better be good (if there is one).

I wouldn't hold my breath. When WaW debuted at E3 they only had the one trailer until release. No images, nothing. Now it seems to be the exact opposite. I'll bet the first movies we see are going to be direct feed from IGN once they get their review copy.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
See, this is why I get frustrated with developers. They go on about how the Wii is SOOO weak or whatever, but they're not even trying.

I've seen better looking PS2 games. MUCH better looking PS2 games.

RurouniZel said:
See, this is why I get frustrated with developers. They go on about how the Wii is SOOO weak or whatever, but they're not even trying.

I've seen better looking PS2 games. MUCH better looking PS2 games.

calm down. the gameinformer dude compared pre-beta screenshots.
the game will (hopefully) not look THAT bad

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
iamaustrian said:
calm down. the gameinformer dude compared pre-beta screenshots.
the game will (hopefully) not look THAT bad

Here's hoping. And it's not like it's fuzzy memories making them look better, I was playing Kingdom Hearts II just yesterday! My eyes do not deceive me. ^^

J-Rock

Banned
Since the beginning of Sept two Treyarch Devs(Shonuff & fyzxwhyz) that worked on CoD:MWR have been answering questions for fans on the Official CoD:WaW Wii forum and the GameFAQs/Gamespot forum. I've collected all of the info they've given.

• Fully customizable controls (Conduit style)

• Every campaign mission included

• CG, voice acting, sound effects and original soundtrack is the same as PS3/360 versions

• Game Will run at 30 FPS

• Said to have better textures and better effects than CoD:WaW

• No MotionPlus support

• 10 players online

• All original online maps and features(perks and unlocks) included

• No Split Screen

• Merge Wii console friends onto CoD:MW roster

• Squad Mate mode is back

• No Kill Cam

Info from the Treyarch Q&A(from the Official CoD & GameFAQs forums):

Question: Who are you?

Answer: I'm an engineer from Treyarch who worked on the game. I am not a PR representative or anything like that. I can't speak officially on behalf of Treyarch or Activision.

Q: I don't believe you.

A: Gamespot has me listed as a game rep. If you still don't believe me, that's okay, don't expect me to bend over backwards trying to convince you.

Q: What about the 4 DLC Maps that were on the 360/PS3?

A: No DLC maps, just the original 16.

Q: Are huge multiplayer maps like district going to get shrunk down?

A: No. The maps are identical content-wise to the other versions.

Q: All online modes are in except Ground War. Why?

A: The Ground War playlist will not be in the game as we only support 10 players and not 18. Ground War was a playlist created for people who liked playing matches with a lot of people.

Q: This game uses Host Migration for online matches. How does it work?

A: Host Migration: The match will still end if the Host's signal drops too low to support a smooth game, or if the Host leaves the match. A new Host is selected and all Players that are in the Match will return to the lobby, but the countdown will start at "Match is about to begin" instead of a full Intermission countdown.

(again)The system will end a match if the Host's ping is too low to support a smooth game and it will pick the next best Host and start the next match.

Q: Will there be Zapper support?

A: Wii Zapper is supported in both SP and MP, with improved controls.

Q: No WiiSpeak support. Why?

A: I would say mostly due to time constraints versus work needed to make it crystal clear.

Another reason: Cutting Wii Speak helped us support 10 Players instead of 8.

Q: How is the invite/friend system?

A: It's much better trust me. I cant go into specifics but I know you guys will like it. Friend Code system has not changed (Out of our hands,) but has some better options in the Friend Roster.

Q: What about bugs and glitches?

A: We try our best to track down all the bugs/glitches that give players an unfair advantage, but it is almost impossible to find them ALL. We have a very good QA (Test) department on this project so I have faith that the game will be stable and less buggy/glitchy than W@W. Even with the bugs/glitches, W@W is a great title.

Q: WTF was up with the first screen shots?

A: I was severely disappointed with the screenshots that were released as they did not do a good job of showing the public just how good the game looks on the Wii. I mean come on! There were bugs in those screenshots for crying out loud.

Q: Why are you guys dropping the "4" from the Wii version name?

A: I dont know the specifics but I think it was Infinity Ward's call.

Q: Can you show us some better screenshots?

A: I do have screenshots but I cannot release them. Screenshots have to go though Activision, Treyarch, and Infinity Ward before they are released. I wish I could show you guys some awesome screens but I can't.

Q: Why do the screenshots have to go through Infinity Ward? How much control do they have over content in this game?

A: It is still their title. They have a lot of control as to what content can be added or taken away.

Q: Will you be able to fix glitching in this game?

A: I heard through the grapevine that we will be able to "deal with" Glitching in CoD:MW. That is all I can or will say about that.

Q: Is Arcade Mode in?

A: Yes.

Q: What is your opinion of the Wii as a FPS console compared to the others?

A: I think its a great console for FPS games due the level of accuracy you can have using the Wii Remote. The main draw back for me is that the Wii does not have as many buttons as the PS3 or 360 so it is hard to make good control schemes for games like CoD. Gestures help but I dont like using Gestures in an FPS cause it throws off my aim. Besides the obvious hardware limitations, I think the Wii is just as good as the 360 and PS3 as long as your not looking for a direct comparison like graphics and processing speed. Gameplay-wise it is just as fun as any of the other consoles in my opinion.

Q: Is the framerate for MW multiplayer as smooth as WaW multiplayer?

A: The FPS will be just as good as W@W or better.

Q: I heard there is no splitscreen. Is this true?

A: Cannot comment on Splitscreen at this time.

Q: When will we get to see some video of the game?

A: We should have one in the next two weeks. Can't say exactly when and of what but you will get one.

Q: Will the wii get the "Game Of The Year" Edition MW with all the extra maps?

A: Cant answer, sorry.

Q: Will the Wii version have golden guns?

A: Yes it will have Golden Guns.

Q: Will this be developed by the main company (Treyarch) or by one of it's smaller development house's (like Exkat, which ported WaW)?

A: Most of the Development and Prot work was done by Treyarch for W@W, although Exkat did help out. Infinite Ward is the main company that Developed Modern Warfare and Treyarch is the company that is porting it to the Wii.

Q: Will there be anything added that wasn't in the original?

A: Can't say everything that has been added but we did add a Customizable Controls option.

Q: Have the graphics improved?

A: Yes the graphics have improved.

Q: We've heard a lot about what is IN the game, can you tell us more about what's NOT in the game when compared to the PS3/360 versions?

A: No killcam (RAM constraints), and we had to swap out one of the unlockable cheats from the original version - I think you guys will like the new one better, anyway. Lower player count in MP, no offline multiplayer. That's all i can think of right now. Like Shonuff said - other than a handful of things that we simply weren't able to do on the hardware, it's the same game through and through.

Q: You made a lot of people mad by not including offline multiplayer.

A: Look, I love offline MP as much as any of you guys, but we didn't have a way to do it this time around without degrading the overall experience. Our focus was on making the online component as awesome as we possibly could. I wouldn't rule it out for future projects, though.

Q: Tell us more about the new "scope aiming mode".

A: I think Activision briefly mentioned that cod4wii has a new scope aiming mode - this is actually my favorite new feature of the game. It's basically an emulation of how PC aiming works, and you're going to notice a huge improvement in how precise your aim is. (You can enable this for ADS with any weapon, not just scopes.)

There is a daunting number of tweakable control options, so we created six "presets" to use as starting points. You'll choose a preset when you start the game. The "marksman" preset is designed to make the controls feel as much like a PC shooter as possible. Hope you guys like it.

Q: Can we hear more about the control options?

A: All of the actionslot commands (everything that was on the dpad in the xbox version) are now activated with a single "inventory" button. You hold the inventory button, then select which actionslot command you want by using the analog stick. So for nightvision, you would hold the inventory button, then flick the analog stick up. It's actually really quick and easy once you get the hang of it. Obviously we're kind of cramped for buttons on the Wii controllers, and this helped us free up controller space for more frequently used commands. (The inventory button defaults to dpad-left, but you can reassign it.)

Use/interact, sprint, and lock camera are all on the same button (A by default, you can remap it)

We're not doing a grenade select thing - too slow. Frag grenade and special grenade each have their own button. You can map either grenade to a gesture if you like, but putting a grenade on a gesture means you can't cook the grenade.

Compared to world at war, the alpha and bravo presets are switched, and the charlie and delta presets are switched. So the old bravo is the new alpha, and the new default config. This is because having to twist the wiimote to throw a special grenade got some serious hate in the focus tests. So if you got used to playing on alpha in world at war, you'll want to start with the bravo preset.

The button customizer is pretty flexible (you can assign most commands to gestures, or even to a "twist-button" if you like) so you shouldn't have much trouble finding a button config that works for you.

You can lean side-to-side using the Nunchuk. You have to go to the options menu to enable this, it's off by default.

Q: Does MWii look better than WAWii or about the same?

A: MW looks better, hands down. This includes lighting, textures, animations, particle FX, characters, and the hud/menu system - all have seen some pretty big improvements this time around.

Q: Has the knifing been improved?

A: The melee/knifing was completely revised based on feedback from the last game.

Q: Can we still use up to 12 letters for our profile names?

A: Correct. We weren't able to increase it past 12.

Q: Has the reticle been improved?

A: The reticle has seen some big improvements.

Q: How long have you guys worked on the Wii version?

A: Can't discuss that specifically. Obviously we don't have the luxury of near-unlimited development time, like some studios. But this game wasn't made overnight, and we had the time and resources we needed to put together a killer port for you guys.

Q: Is there a clan tag option?

A: As in world at war, you can change your name at any time, so you are free to put your clan tag in there if you like. We also support colored profile names now.

The other consoles only have a separate "clan tag" button because you can't change your name at any time, like you can on the wii. On xbox live, for example, you have to keep the same profile name across all games you play on their service, and they charge you money to change it. I could give you a button that says clan tag on it, but it wouldn't do anything you can't do just by changing your profile name, and that would be pretty silly, no?

Names only appear colored in the lobby and in the game messages (like "fyzxwhyz killed [PHU]BFMV"). So you can't use it to make yourself less visible to others. On that note, you also can't name yourself "." (or anything similarly annoying) anymore.

Q: Can you tell us about gun rotating?

A: It's purely cosmetic (no effect on gameplay), but you can now rotate your gun left and right by twisting the wiimote. So if you want to hold your uzi "gangsta style" you can do that. It's pretty cool. You can turn it off if you don't like it. All weapons twist except for a handful (javelin, etc). Some twist more than others.

Q: Is there any text communications feature?

A: No.

Q: Will you guys use the Wii system address book as part of the in-game online friends list like Guitar Hero 5(Wii) does?

A: Can't talk about that yet.

Q: Is there cage match and old school free for all?

A: Yes. Also, a playlist-related change from the last game is that nobody is allowed to use aim assist in hardcore mode, so its a bit more of a test of skill.

Q: You guys seem excited about this game. Is it coming along well?

A: If it seems like there's a lot of positivity on our end, it's because there is. Everyone on the team is totally stoked about bringing this game out, especially since it had to stay under wraps for so long. We spent the better part of the past year combing all of the forums for feedback on world at war - we fixed everything we realistically could, added new features where they were called for, and focused on bringing an undiluted cod4 experience to the wii. This port got some serious love from the team and it shows.

Q: Can you give us some insight on how the graphics have been improved over CoD:WaW Wii?

A: The biggest graphical improvement is in the lighting and shadows - both are HUGELY improved since the last game, and I think the lighting is some of the best on the wii. Character shadows in particular look really good. We've added some new special effects like environment-mapped reflections on scopes and water surfaces, motion blur, sunlight transitions for time-of-day changes, and the same nightvision and flashbang effects as the xbox. You'll also notice an overall higher level of quality on the animations, characters, weapons, particle fx, and textures, and the framerate is more solid than it was on world at war. The game looks really good.

Q: Are the blood effects, splattering on the walls and the ground, the same as the original version?

A: The splats are there, but they won't stay on the walls as long as on the original - there is a performance issue when you just leave dozens of blood splat decals hanging around. The initial blood splat when the bullet hits the guy is really noticeable though - it's actually a bit more gruesome than it was in the original.

Q: In CoD:WaW Wii online matches would start out with a black screen right before the match began. In the other versions of the game it was in grayscale with a count down timer and it would transition into color. Will MWR use the grayscale look before the match starts?

A: The black screen is there because the level is still loading at that point. If the black screen wasn't there, you'd see all kinds of random stuff popping in. Once the map is fully loaded, the black screen fades out.

We still have to do this for cod4, although after the black screen goes away, you now start with a grayscale view, like in the other versions. The grayscale then fades into full color when the match starts.

J-Rock

Banned
More

Q: How are the controls different from COD:WAW?

A: The main thing is that there is a lot more customization possible. I personally did the controls for this game, among other things. I gave you control over everything I thought would be useful, and most options are sliders rather than preset values. Your main categories are aim styles, camera turn speeds, sensitivity controls, deadzone proportions, button configuration, and then some miscellaneous options. Each of these catergories has 4-5 tunable options in it. You can set almost everything separately for whether you are firing from the hip (normal fire) or aiming down the sight (ADS), and there are additional parameters for when you are using a scoped weapon, a turret, or the ac130.

Q: That sounds too complicated. I just want to play the game.

A: You don't have to diddle with any settings at all if you don't want to. I give you 6 presets, from total noob to completely bonkers. When you create a new game, the first thing it asks you is which control preset you want to start with. The presets are just starting points, and you can fine-tune them whenever you like from the pause menu. But we spent a lot of time testing and tweaking these presets to make sure they are all actually useful straight out of the box.

Q: What is the Marksman preset all about?

A: The Marksman preset is special. Marksman is designed to make the game feel as much as possible like a PC shooter when you aiming down the sights - "precision aiming" is turned on, and the gun stays in the center of your screen while you are in ADS.

Q: What is Precision Aiming?

A: Precision aiming mode is brand new for this game, and as far as I know, no other Wii games are using anything like this. I'll spare you the math behind it, but basically, with precision mode OFF, where you are pointing your wiimote determines how fast the camera rotates. If you point at the edge of the screen, the camera is going to rotate pretty fast until you move the wiimote back toward the center of the screen. This is how it works in WAW and most 3d wii games. People have gotten used to this. But you end up in a lot of situations where the camera just keeps spinning, or where you overshoot or undershoot your target. Precision mode fixes this - instead of moving your wiimote to turn faster, you move your wiimote to point directly at THAT point. It is very much like how aiming with the mouse works on PC shooters. Gives you a much finer degree of control over where your camera goes.

That probably didn't make much sense, but just check it out. You can enable or disable it independently for scopes and ADS. I personally think that someone who really masters precision aiming has a huge advantage over the people who don't use it.

Q: In World at War, how come the gun moved around the screen so much faster in MP than in SP?

A: Because that's how people liked it at the time, during the play tests. But in MW Wii you now have a slider called "ADS Reach" that gives you total control over this. Set it to zero and the gun is in the center of the screen at all times. Set it to maximum and the gun will move to all four corners of the screen.

Q: How does scope aiming work?

A: You have three choices for aiming the scopes: standard, precision, or analog stick. Standard means you aim the scope the same way you would aim any other weapon. Precision turns on the precision mode I talked about earlier. Analog stick means you use the analog stick on the nunchuk to move the scope around. If you are aiming with the analog stick, you can move using the d-pad.

Q: I heard there is some scope sway now.

A: The camera will sway a bit while you are looking down the scope. This is to keep you from camping on one pixel by setting the wiimote down. If you are in standard or precision aim, it is nowhere near as strong as the camera sway on the other versions of cod4 - i'd say its about 10-20% of that. If you hold your breath, the scope sway temporarily goes to zero. The iron lungs perk in MP increases the amount of time you can hold your breath. If you are aiming the scope with the analog stick, then the scope sway behavior is identical to the other versions.

Q: How does nightvision/killstreaks/grenade launcher/claymores/c4/etc. work?

A: These functions are all on the d-pad on the xbox360 and ps3. I would have liked to put them on the d-pad on the wii, but then we wouldn't have had enough buttons for everything else. So the way it works is that you have a single button mapped to "inventory" - this is dpad-left by default. When you hold down the inventory button, your special item icons will light up. You select one by flicking the analog stick in the direction of the item you want. This is really fast once you get accustomed to it.

Q: How does the button customizer work?

A: It's similar to the button customizer in the PC version. There is a list of game functions (attack/jump/ADS/whatever). You click on the function you want to remap, then press the button you want it attached to. You can also assign some functions to a gesture, or to twisting the wiimote and then pressing the button.

Q: Can I really customize everything?

A: Use, Sprint, and Lock Camera have to be on the same button. The fact is that the wiimote just doesn't have enough buttons for all of the commands in call of duty, so we have to double (triple) up on use/sprint/lock. You also can't move pause off of the 1 button. Everything else is up to you.

Q: I don't feel like customizing the buttons.

A: There are 6 button presets to pick from - they are basically the same as in WAW, with a new one: Foxtrot. There is a special preset for the zapper if you want to use it.

Q: What is the default button layout? Same as in WAW?

A: More or less. Compared to the last game, Alpha and Bravo are switched, and Charlie and Delta are switched. So the current default layout is Bravo from WAW:

B: attack
A: use/sprint/lock camera
C: change stance
Z: ADS
plus: frag grenade
minus: special grenade
dpad up: jump
dpad left: inventory
dpad right: cycle weapon
dpad down: melee
shake nunchuk: reload
1: pause
2: MP scoreboard

Q: I hate gestures. I also hated it in WAW where you had to twist the wiimote to throw a smoke grenade.

A: I don't like gestures either. You can turn them off as long as you don't have anything important on a gesture only. You can also switch to a preset button layout that doesn't use them. For the wiimote twist, the only reason we had that is so we could fit all of the commands onto the wiimote without making you use gestures or making you use the 2 button for something. 3 of the preset control schemes still use the twists. With the button customizer you can set it up however you like, although remember that every command has to go *somewhere* and there are only so many buttons available.

Q: Is there classic controller support?

Q: Is there gamecube controller support?

Q: Can I play with the zapper?

A: Sure. You can use the zapper button layout. It's been improved a bit since last time - you still have to twist it left and right (remember we basically only have 3 buttons, B/C/Z, that have to control everything in the game), but we got rid of where you would have to double-tap the analog stick to jump or crouch.

Q: I heard you can lean now.

A: It's off by default, but if you enable it, you can lean side-to-side with the nunchuk.

Q: Isn't that going to unbalance the game?

A: No. Leaning has been in the PC versions of call of duty for years, and it definitely hasn't unbalanced anything. We just brought it over from the PC without changing any of its functionality.

Q: OMG gangsta shootin'(twist remote/on-screen gun Red Steel style)

A: All I ever said about this was that you can twist the guns a little bit by twisting the wiimote, that some guns twist more than others, and that you can hold your uzi "gangsta style" if you like. People kind of took this statement and ran with it. The uzi is the only gun that has a one-handed firing animation, so its the only gun that is really going to look "gangsta" when you twist it. All other guns have two-handed animations in the other versions of cod4, and we weren't allowed to change them to make them look better with the weapon twisting.

It's a cool feature, but its pretty minor and purely cosmetic. If you got the idea that you are going to look like ice cube running around with a sniper rifle, you're going to be disappointed.

Q: Aim assist sucked in World at War

A: It's been fixed. It's really good now. You can still turn it off.

Q: Isn't it going to break MP with all of these aim assist noobs running around?

A: Aim assist is scaled WAY back for multiplayer. All it does is nudge you toward the guy you are aiming at when you go into ADS. It doesn't follow the guy, and you have to be aiming pretty close to him in the first place for it to kick in. That said, if it still bothers you, hardcore game modes don't let anyone use aim assist.

Q: What's the best thing control-wise about this game?

A: I think the stability of the cursor is what sets it apart and just makes things feel good. I spent a lot of time figuring how to filter the wiimote data to make it feel smooth and stable, while still being quick and responsive. I can't discuss other wii games by name, but I recently played another wii shooter where the cursor kept jittering and jumping all over the place. This particular game had a lot of control options, but there was just no way to get rid of the jitteriness. MW Wii does not have this problem. Controlling your cursor shouldn't feel like you are playing Operation.

Q: Will you guys test this game hard enough so that there will be no glitches at all?

A: It isn't really possible to get rid of 100% of all possible map glitches. We had a large test team "humping walls" for like 6 months and we fixed everything they found. But we did the same thing on the last game and we still didn't catch all the glitches.

Something new for this game is that we can issue tiny hotfixes for small parts of the maps to patch up map holes, so once map glitches are discovered we should be able to fix them.

Q: Is there specular mapping and glow on the soldiers?

A: We're not using specular textures per se, but you'll notice a lot of new dynamic lighting effects (muzzle flashes, colored flares, etc) that will provide a similar effect.

Q: Will MWR look like this by release...maybe?

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh121/w1ng3dkn1ght/cod4pclow.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh121/w1ng3dkn1ght/cod4pclower.jpg

A: I would say those look pretty close.

Q: What would you consider to be the most challenging part of getting a control scheme to work on the Wii remote/nunchuck.

A: The biggest challenge is that we don't have as many easily accessible buttons as we do on the 360/ps3 gamepads - especially since the 1 and 2 buttons are too far out of the way to be very useful in a fast paced action game. A lot of teams that try to port games to the wii from other consoles struggle with this problem. You either have to move some commands onto gestures, double-up on button commands and create some kind of selection mechanism (like we're doing with the inventory menu), or modify your game to accommodate the wii controller.

Games that try to put important commands onto gestures generally aren't received very well by the fans - you just end up with a lot of situations where the game doesn't do exactly what you want, and that's a deal breaker in something like call of duty where the best players are often the ones with the best response time. So we use gestures sparingly, we make them completely optional, and we limit it to a simple "shake" motion, so there is no chance of the game not being able to tell which gesture you are trying to do.

In cases where it made sense, we grouped commands together onto the same button - for example, use, sprint, mantle, and lock camera are all on the same button, with the game generally being smart enough to tell which one you want to do based on the context. Likewise, by putting all four "action slot" (d-pad) commands on a single "inventory" button, with a selection menu, we were able to use one button instead of four.

The other option is to start stripping commands out of your game to make it more compatible with the design of the wii controller, but we were not willing to go down this road. Cod4 is a pretty complex game, and we did the best we could to make it work within the limitations we had. And if you, the player, think you can come up with a better way to do it, you're welcome to customize the button layout to your liking.

Disguises

Hmm...pretty useful info actually, especially:
Something new for this game is that we can issue tiny hotfixes for small parts of the maps to patch up map holes, so once map glitches are discovered we should be able to fix them.
:D It's the only thing that put me off playing CoD:WaW in the end.

oh the game will support wiispeak.
it was confirmed in one flyer they send out to promote the game(afair...it was at the one banned site).
that was after thousands of ppl protested that it wouldn't make sense without voicechat.

hellclerk

iamaustrian said:
oh the game will support wiispeak.
it was confirmed in one flyer they send out to promote the game(afair...it was at the one banned site).
that was after thousands of ppl protested that it wouldn't make sense without voicechat.
well, that's actually been shot down by the one guy who's been leaking out all of this information about the game. so no, there probably won't be any voice chat.

considering how few people they have on their team in relation to how much time they have to do what they have to do, i can't really say i blame 'em...

Top Bottom