• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Vanguard - Beta Impressions

rubhen925

Got into the beta today. Played it a bit. Here's some info:

- PS5 Beta install size is 32.01 GB.
- Early access is Sept 10-13, and open beta starts 16-20
- Beta has a couple modes in access. Team Death Match, Domination, Kill Confirmed, Champion Hill Duos, and Champion Hill Trios.
- Connection was ok most of the time, but god damn there are moments when the game freezes for a second. It happened a couple times. lol
- there is a 120 Hz mode but I couldn't test it as I don't have an appropriate display or a capture card that can record 120.
- There is in game HDR settings to tweak the white balance, and other tweaks.
- No performance or high resolution modes. Just the choice between standard and 120 Hz.
- I played an hour or so and saw 3 maps. Red Star (Snow Map), Hotel Royal (Hotel map), and Gavutu (Jungle map)
- I don't know what to say about the graphics for the rain and snow. Something feels off. It could just be me, but when it rains it looks like crap at times.

That's about it for now. If you guys have any questions. Feel free to ask. I'll do my best to answer them. Enjoy the beta if you got it this weekend.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The 120 hz mode feels really good

Like you I too feel the game just feels off

I too was having freezing and packet loss issues but turning off stream assets helped

Going to pass on this one with BF coming (unless that beta is horrible) and the free Halo MP coming this Fall.

rubhen925

I too was having freezing and packet loss issues but turning off stream assets helped

Going to pass on this one with BF coming (unless that beta is horrible) and the free Halo MP coming this Fall.
oh shoot it did have the stream assets crap on. I totally forgot to turn it off lmao. Thanks for the tip. God send there!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Awesome vid. Thanks.

Hey for your BAR loadout, is there a less intrusive scope which can be attached? Like a normal zoom red dot? Or one that just doesnt seem as bulky looking as you run around?

Last edited:

rubhen925

Awesome vid. Thanks.

Hey for your BAR loadout, is there a less intrusive scope which can be attached? Like a normal zoom red dot? Or one that just doesnt seem as bulky looking as you run around?
Once you unlock loadouts you can take that crap off. This was a recording I did earlier so I just chose standard loadouts.

Isa

Gold Member
Those weapon attachments and radar map just throw me off the game hard. So wild. But nice video and summary, thnx.

Rac3r

Agreed that the game feels off. At times it doesn’t look much better than the Modern Warfare 2019 alpha that I played on an OG PS4. Physics feel nice and tight though.

Calverz

Is it me or is the sound in this game awful and really quiet? Like I just played a map that had a tropical storm happening and couldn’t hear any weather effects? Or they were really quiet. Wtaf.

MiguelItUp

Can't take this shit when you can put nearly a scope on every gun.
WWII my ass.
Isn't it a fictitious take on WW2? I mean, I was under the impression it was going to be WW2 + essentially a bunch of what if stuff, haha.

Pretty decent gore for a newer CoD game

I was expecting WaW gore, and it's more than that. I guess that's pretty cool. Still not SUPER interested though. Apprehensive for sure.

HTK

Banned

I'm just going to play these Betas and see what's what at the end of it all. Haven't pre-ordered jack yet and I intend keeping it that way. So far I'm not convinced yet.

ManaByte

love actually this is shit isnt it GIF

EDMIX

Pretty decent gore for a newer CoD game

As it should be.

I never understood why many MP titles didn't include stuff like this.

That is what a fucking gun, grenade, bazooka does etc lol

Its already rated M.

Let the gore support the rating already. One of the reasons why I love The Last Of Us 2 so much. Nothing like shooting a person in the throat and watching them slowly die

EDMIX

Can't take this shit when you can put nearly a scope on every gun.
WWII my ass.

Gore is fine but svastikas are not allowed.
What a f joke.

So the zombies didn't clue you in that this was a fake video game?

hmmmmmm

This isn't a documentary or some biopick or anything like that regarding WWII, I'd argue no Call Of Duty has ever been that, most games are not that at all. So if you can't take this, you couldn't take the whole series tbh as it wasn't really made to be some carbon copy or 1.1 representation of the actual war.

Most simply don't care as one would have to question why anyone would even be buying this for that purpose in the first place lol. They never marketed this to be some 1.1 depiction of anyone's life or actual events etc. Unless you telling me zombies are real or something...

Allforce

I'm having a good time with it so far, feels a lot like MW19 but needs some audio adjustments. I don't really give a fuck about historical accuracy on guns and shit and these just look like WW2 guns that hit like modern day weaponry lol. Gives off a real Inglorious Basterds vibe.

I really like the idea of the different game flavors like Assault or Blitz and the fact not everything is always just "2 v 2", 6 v 6" or "12 v 12". I got into a 14 v 14 game earlier today which was a weird number but it played nice.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm just going to play these Betas and see what's what at the end of it all. Haven't pre-ordered jack yet and I intend keeping it that way. So far I'm not convinced yet.
Its bad on the XSX unless a recent patch like in the last couple of hours has fixed it.

Even on PS5 there are often graphical glitches and have been stuck in a few places that required me to wait until I died to get out of.

Granted those issues are beta type of bugs.

Having spent plenty of time in the beta I can safely say this game needs a reboot bad and I hope BF delivers but the news out of that camp isnt promising either

HTK

Banned
Its bad on the XSX unless a recent patch like in the last couple of hours has fixed it.

Even on PS5 there are often graphical glitches and have been stuck in a few places that required me to wait until I died to get out of.

Granted those issues are beta type of bugs.

Having spent plenty of time in the beta I can safely say this game needs a reboot bad and I hope BF delivers but the news out of that camp isnt promising either

Honestly, I need a change. I'm kind of over CoD and Battlefield, really hope Halo delivers. I'm also anticipating Factions 2 and Guerilla Games 2nd studio working on a MP game. I need something completely different and new.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Honestly, I need a change. I'm kind of over CoD and Battlefield, really hope Halo delivers. I'm also anticipating Factions 2 and Guerilla Games 2nd studio working on a MP game. I need something completely different and new.
I really hope Halo MP is decent. I played a lot of the first tech test and it was kind of boring but also 99% of the time you knew you were fighting bots and I didnt get to play a ton when they allowed actual PVP.

HTK

Banned
I really hope Halo MP is decent. I played a lot of the first tech test and it was kind of boring but also 99% of the time you knew you were fighting bots and I didnt get to play a ton when they allowed actual PVP.

Do you have a PS5? I had a Series X bundle and sold it. I'm looking to buy the Series X standalone console for Halo (Competitive MP fix) and other games down the line. Halo would be fresh to me since I haven't played it since Halo 4 and that was CoDifed.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Do you have a PS5? I had a Series X bundle and sold it. I'm looking to buy the Series X standalone console for Halo (Competitive MP fix) and other games down the line. Halo would be fresh to me since I haven't played it since Halo 4 and that was CoDifed.
Yeah was luckily enough to score both a PS5 and Series X

Fake

I mean...what about it? If it is being done, would be done by a different team anyway and irrelevant to a new COD

Not irrelevant, maybe for those who don't want. Usualy Activision make a CoD remastered with a new installment when they know the sales will not go too far.

My Infinite Warfare came with the MW remastered and I must say was a pretty good deal.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Not irrelevant, maybe for those who don't want. Usualy Activision make a CoD remastered with a new installment when they know the sales will not go too far.

My Infinite Warfare came with the MD remastered and I must say was a pretty good deal.

Good point, maybe they want it announced closing to release or plan to release it later on or something.

ManaByte

They patched the XSX client. But it’s still broken to shit. You get this, it runs at 1FPS, then hard locks and crashes:
g8TjfTe.jpg

the beta looks and feels unpolished, this game is clearly rushed and put together just to get something out it feels. I just checked out COD WWII compared to vanguard and WWII looks better no lie :|

Definitely skipping this one.

SkylineRKR

I don't dislike it, but whats the deal with Assault, Blitz etc. I just want 12 v 12 or something. I didn't enjoy the 24 v 24 TDM.

The game feels like an MW2019 romhack. And there is absolutely no WW2 feels. I see diversity (hello there), but also UAV etc. The weapons shoot like modern warfare stuff, you can put supressors and scopes on them also..

I do like the weighty feel. But it feels less responsive than MW2019. Its like running and sliding doesn't always trigger. Maybe its on me.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't dislike it, but whats the deal with Assault, Blitz etc. I just want 12 v 12 or something. I didn't enjoy the 24 v 24 TDM.

The game feels like an MW2019 romhack. And there is absolutely no WW2 feels. I see diversity (hello there), but also UAV etc. The weapons shoot like modern warfare stuff.

I do like the weighty feel. But it feels less responsive than MW2019. Its like running and sliding doesn't always trigger. Maybe its on me.
You got to set your filter to whatever 12 vs 12 is. It's Assault or Blitz. Tactical is 6 v 6. The default setting is ALL modes.

I'd say the only parts it felt like a WWII game is the atmosphere has old relics of crappy battered down jeeps and beached landing ships in maps. And the guns definitely have more recoil than a MW or CW game.

But that's it.

The rest of the game plays like a fast paced, high tech attachment MW game. You got super sprint, I think slide, and laser red and green dot kinds of attachments.

I was hoping it would work as I love WWII games. But I wasnt feeling it. COD WWII was much better. And so is even old school World at War.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Damn! While I do love the setting, the maps are totally ASS in this game. Way too cluttered, making it hard to impossible to spot enemies at certain distances. And no matter where you are, you have to cover 4-5 different paths at all times which usually results in a bullet swarm in the back. It's just a complete mess!

Fake

I played the Alpha, but no way gonna play the Beta. I watched some beta over youtube and looks like crap.

MDSLKTR

Yeah the maps are pretty assy, usually they put their best maps forward during a beta so I fear for the rest of them.

Top Bottom