• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Vanguard - Beta Impressions

kevm3

is this game full of massive maps that take 5 minutes to find anyone? If it is smaller maps I may look into this

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Going modern was a highlight for battlefield of course you hope’d the same for COD. Graphics are nice, COD is a very good FPS people have issues with slide don’t use it, they’re trading eras.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Going modern was a highlight for battlefield of course you hope’d the same for COD. Graphics are nice, COD is a very good FPS if people have issues with slide don’t use it, they’re trading eras.

Not sure how I feel about it really. Like I'm having fun, but idk if I'll spend $70 on it. The Hotel map is terrible IMO but the others are fine.

Idk if it's just me but controller on PC felt super weird. I played a bit on every platform so it's not just controller in general. I even tried it on Series X/PS5 in 60 fps mode to rule out the 120fps as the culprit.

The only other weird thing was in scopes I get a weird like texture bug or something every time on all platforms. It's annoying but not a deal breaker.

Also RIP my RX580. We having to run Lowest settings at 1440p to get 60.

is this game full of massive maps that take 5 minutes to find anyone? If it is smaller maps I may look into this
The beta has a mix which I'm thankful for. The Soviet map got me to main snipers for the first time in a COD game since MW3.

Last edited:

Jebron

Wow... this is hands down the worst CoD I've played in YEARS. I'm a Call of Duty regular, I buy the game every year and really enjoy both the campaign and multiplayer. I'll usually get 150-200 hours out of each title.

This game feels fucking awful. Literally everything looks and feels so bad. Player visibility is laughably bad, the input delay is extremely noticeable, the guns feel absolutely horrible and sound just as bad, the movement is some of the worst I've felt in a AAA FPS title. The lack of an FOV slider on console is fucking embarrassing in 2021, the matchmaking is putting me with MLG M&K pros who're quickscoping their way to 50+ kill games. The framerate on 120fps mode feels like 80, at best.

I'll 100% be passing on this game, thank god Battlefield is releasing a title this year so I'll have something to play. MW and CW both had their issues, but they felt polished and crisp... Vanguard is a fucking disaster.

Barakov

Gold Member
Wow... this is hands down the worst CoD I've played in YEARS. I'm a Call of Duty regular, I buy the game every year and really enjoy both the campaign and multiplayer. I'll usually get 150-200 hours out of each title.

This game feels fucking awful. Literally everything looks and feels so bad. Player visibility is laughably bad, the input delay is extremely noticeable, the guns feel absolutely horrible and sound just as bad, the movement is some of the worst I've felt in a AAA FPS title. The lack of an FOV slider on console is fucking embarrassing in 2021, the matchmaking is putting me with MLG M&K pros who're quickscoping their way to 50+ kill games. The framerate on 120fps mode feels like 80, at best.

I'll 100% be passing on this game, thank god Battlefield is releasing a title this year so I'll have something to play. MW and CW both had their issues, but they felt polished and crisp... Vanguard is a fucking disaster.
Seems like the rumor that this was a giant dumpster fire was right. Guess I'll keep on playing Warzone and forget this is even coming out.

VN1X

Banned
I've requested a thread title change, hope you don't mind (would be nice to have this thread for the general impressions).

Anyway I've played about 10 matches on PC and it's absolutely dreadful. Sure there are some technical issues here and there, which is to be expected so I'm not even going to comment on that aspect of it (although performance on PC is also very bad), but everything ranging from the movement (which seems to be some weird Frankenstein blend of both old and new) to the incredibly poor visibility that makes it so you can't even see what you're shooting half the time, let alone where you're getting shot from; it's all just mind boggling really. What's hilarious even more is that because of the required Warzone integration they had to include optical sights (which have no business of being in a WWII-themed shooter) yet even with these unrealistic additions you still can't see shit lol. The audio is probably the worst offender of all though as Vanguard easily boasts he worst mix I've heard in a shooter since... well ever honestly.

This franchise has been going for almost two decades now and they still can't get basic things such as visibility, audio and movement right. I've been a CoD player since the very first game and with every release it seems to get progressively worse. The last CoD game I genuinely enjoyed (and seemed to have gotten the most care in getting the basics right) was BLOPS 3. Every other title seems to have been the typical case of "one step forward, two steps back". I'm definitely skipping this year. Even if the singleplayer campaign is going to be the best since Infinite Warfare I'm still not biting.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

So, I didn't think it was awful by any means. It was COD, and that's really it. Played 2 full games, did fine in first, did REALLY good in the second somehow, lol. Ran great, but looked... not nearly as good as they claimed it did, haha. Big surprise. It honestly looked really rough and flat. I had everything cranked too!

I WILL say I did notice that something felt off, not sure what it was, but that "off" feeling definitely was there.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
TTK is MW 2019 low so it's great for casual players compared to Black Ops IV and Cold War.
It's ugly but runs pretty well, I think I prefer the gameplay to Cold War even if it looks inferior.

Jebron

I've requested a thread title change, hope you don't mind (would be nice to have this thread for the general impressions).

Anyway I've played about 10 matches on PC and it's absolutely dreadful. Sure there are some technical issues here and there, which is to be expected so I'm not even going to comment on that aspect of it (although performance on PC is also very bad), but everything ranging from the movement (which seems to be some weird Frankenstein blend of both old and new) to the incredibly poor visibility that makes it so you can't even see what you're shooting half the time, let alone where you're getting shot from; it's all just mind boggling really. What's hilarious even more is that because of the required Warzone integration they had to include optical sights (which have no business of being in a WWII-themed shooter) yet even with these unrealistic additions you still can't see shit lol. The audio is probably the worst offender of all though as Vanguard easily boasts he worst mix I've heard in a shooter since... well ever honestly.

This franchise has been going for almost two decades now and they still can't get basic things such as visibility, audio and movement right. I've been a CoD player since the very first game and with every release it seems to get progressively worse. The last CoD game I genuinely enjoyed (and seemed to have gotten the most care in getting the basics right) was BLOPS 3. Every other title seems to have been the typical case of "one step forward, two steps back". I'm definitely skipping this year. Even if the singleplayer campaign is going to be the best since Infinite Warfare I'm still not biting.
Completely agree with all your points. This will be the first CoD I don't buy since World at War. It's hard for me to even articulate just how disappointed I am in this years iteration.

I agree with you but I stopped playing the beta after 15 mins 1) because it sucks, 2) because I also thought the beta for Black ops sucked too but they polished it before release and I really like it.

and I pre ordered it like an idiot to try out the new free gun so I screwed myself.

The maps are okayish , the gameplay is okayish , the gunplay is okayish, the little destruction and debris flying everywhere is a nice little addition
Other than that there is nothing special tbh
The gunplay was way better in mw than it's here , mw had weight to guns this just feels flat

Fake

I have here:

- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- Call of Duty: Infinte Warfare
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered
- Call of Duty WW2

Besides the MW Remastered, all the others in the story mode was mix bag, but at least the multiplayer is quite fun. WW2 have IMO the best multiplayer in the 'fun' departament because the 'War mode' and you can even play splitscreen offline.

IDK what happens here, but this Call of Duty is not getting my attention. I neither have interess in this new Battlefield, but this year will be the time when neither Call of Duty and Battlefield get my attention.

I really praying for the Modern Warfare 3 Remastered being real.

VN1X

Banned
Completely agree with all your points. This will be the first CoD I don't buy since World at War. It's hard for me to even articulate just how disappointed I am in this years iteration.
It's funny because this is the first time a game has made me feel old lol.

I mean I'm 34, got the top rank in CS:GO, high stats in Hunt: Showdown and still do very decent in games like Quake Champions or other movement based shooters. With Vanguard however I just feel constantly punished. Even when I would get the drop on someone they'd still manage to (apparently) outaim me and kill me instead. It's like I'm trudging through molasses and everyone else is playing Warframe or something. It's a really odd feeling. Meanwhile a friend of mine got a nuke today! Motherfucker was on 64 kills and 4 deaths or something crazy like that.

But yeah it's such a shame how this game ended up. I was hoping Sledgehammer learned from their mistakes and could've delivered us a fantastic WWII CoD akin to World at War. I honestly believe if Warzone wasn't a thing they would've succeeded but we'll never know...

Oh and tactical sprint and effin' blindfire(?!) can also both get fucked btw.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's funny because this is the first time a game has made me feel old lol.

I mean I'm 34, got the top rank in CS:GO, high stats in Hunt: Showdown and still do very decent in games like Quake Champions or other movement based shooters. With Vanguard however I just feel constantly punished. Even when I would get the drop on someone they'd still manage to (apparently) outaim me and kill me instead. It's like I'm trudging through molasses and everyone else is playing Warframe or something. It's a really odd feeling. Meanwhile a friend of mine got a nuke today! Motherfucker was on 64 kills and 4 deaths or something crazy like that.

But yeah it's such a shame how this game ended up. I was hoping Sledgehammer learned from their mistakes and could've delivered us a fantastic WWII CoD akin to World at War. I honestly believe if Warzone wasn't a thing they would've succeeded but we'll never know...

Oh and tactical sprint and effin' blindfire(?!) can also both get fucked btw.
No doubt it's harder to do great in COD vs. way back during the old MW, World at War and BO games.

Somewhere around MW3 and BO2, they changed the maps to be more rat mazy and SMGs got a big accuracy boost. Sniping dropped as the maps became more walled off and sniper lanes became fewer.

There is no way playing those older games can someone run and gun and kill people from a good distance with an MP5 or MP40. You needed a sniper rifle, AR or LMG.

But by making it more rat mazed and SMGs can kill from just about every distance, it gives everyone a shot to run around with unlimited sprint and spray rooms and get kills.

Older games had stamina limits too. You couldnt run with seemingly unlimited endurance, no super sprint, no power slides. It was more slower paced boots to the ground.

Last edited:

JimRyanGOAT

Been grinding like crazy the past two days with a 5 queue

Games actually pretty fun, I like that guns can have a lot of attachments, but this is probably gonna get abused once people pick up the meta

But the game has a massive amount of bugs, nothing really game-breaking yet, just lotta small annoying stuff.

• I can hear the enemies comms
  • VISIBILITY IS SHIT (I never understood why COD games even allow this, its been getting worse since MW 2019)
  • Some maps are definitely catered for noobs, too many angles to watch giving lesser experienced players chances to catch you off guard (Common cod problem)
  • A lot of random screen tearing
  • Some doors look open, but once you approach the door it closes
  • In Search & Destroy it always says the bomb is active and you have to defuse in the top of the screen
  • In Search the game always says its a draw even if your team is sweeping
  • Sound design is shit, I hear people across the map but someone can run up behind me and I wont hear a peep

It's basically a reskin of MW 2019 in WWII. And Tom was right, I wouldn't be surprised if the game went through development hell because its very buggy.

I don't really dislike it tho, it's a safe take and feels familiar, gamepl

Mr.ODST

This game is so bad I want my beta code back, while some things are good in ways, the TTK, gunplay etc are terrible, did not enjoy my experience one bit.

• I can hear the enemies comms
Are you talking mid match? Or after you get a kill? Because I believe it has the same system as MW2019 where you hear a snippet of the player you killed mic input.

I agree though on many things like visibility and TTK. I felt like I was playing on Hardcore half of the time, and the pacific map (don't know the name) just has areas where the sun rays blind you entirely which got me killed numerous times. Also not sure on which gun it was but at one point I picked up a gun and the spray from automatic fire did not need the stupid amount of particle effects it had. I get you want it to look cool, and nice but this is a multiplayer shooter and I sort of need to be able to see in front of me.

Also the MP40 is broken.

I don't dislike it, but I don't particularly like it. Hopefully Battlefield is good.

SkylineRKR

The visibility is awful. On the snow map I can't see shit outside. I like some degree of realism but in MP I just prefer a good visibility.

chonga

There's a toggle to choose your play style.

You can pick between Tactical, Assault and Blitz which basically just adjusts the player count on each map. So play tactical if you want 6v6 on every map, play Blitz if you want more mayhem.

Gotta say it is a great addition.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
So play tactical if you want 6v6 on every map, play Blitz if you want more mayhem.

The 6v6 matches I played were pure mayhem. People were running and gunning and spawning all over the place all the time.

faraany3k

Banned
I thought COD Cold war engine was the issue and MW engine would make things better, but Sledgehammer is not as good as Infinity Ward.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm fine booting ww2 up and play with people there. There's actually still a player base on pc.

denisonja

Neo Member
Well, what to say..... Been hoping that this will be a new gathering point for me and friends, but i'm afraid it's not gonna happen...
Played beta on PS5 and on PC and it just doesn't feel like something that would be worth to sink hours into....
First and foremost, it's JUST TOO DAMN FAST.... I have a feeling that it's now on par with Quake.... Jumping, shooting, running.... Perhaps i'm just spoiled by Tarkov, but this feels even more of a bullet hell game than 10v10 shipment....
Especially those blitz games....
Next is the sound.... Everything sounds so flat, no "power" in those gun sounds..... Directional sounds are awful for a long time, so nothing new there...
Maps are also one of the negatives..... That snowy square map is horrendous.
Visually game feels like beginning of the last gen.

Like the setting but this will be a hard pass for me. Hopefully we can be competitive on the new warzone map without Vanguard.

DonJorginho

Banned
Activision need to take a sledgehammer to Sledgehammer.

These guys just aren't that good at making games, and that's okay.

Two years running in which I haven't been enticed by the latest COD in the slightest. Here's to hoping MW 2022 changes things.

SJRB

Gold Member
Activision need to take a sledgehammer to Sledgehammer.

These guys just aren't that good at making games, and that's okay.

Two years running in which I haven't been enticed by the latest COD in the slightest. Here's to hoping MW 2022 changes things.

As long as COD sells gangbusters they have zero reason to shake things up or innovate in any meaningful way.

VN1X

Banned
I'm fine booting ww2 up and play with people there. There's actually still a player base on pc.
Did the same and was surprised to see there's still a decent amount of players on PC. Not for every mode mind you but that's alright.

VN1X

Banned
As long as COD sells gangbusters they have zero reason to shake things up or innovate in any meaningful way.
I always see this criticism put forth when it comes to Call of Duty and I just don't understand that side of the audience at all. I mean seriously now we went from WWII to (fictional) modern times, to sci-fi warfare, space warfare, future warfare, cold war and back to WWII, etc. if there's one thing I can't fault Activision & Co for is a lack of trying in terms of innovation and tossing in new mechanics. If anything I'd say the "shaking things up in a meaningful way" approach has been the bane of this year's effort for me as in some respects Vanguard is very by the numbers but, for better or worse, they're also boasting a plethora of new features and mechanics (that in my opinion seem at odds with one another).

This is not specifically aimed towards you btw but people who go "CoD is the same every year" are either just trolling or really have no clue and think "because it's a yearly release it must therefore be exactly like that other yearly release I know: FIFA". It's nonsense. You can hate the game and give genuine criticisms when it comes to gameplay, presentation, etc but it's so reductive to call this franchise a yearly cash-in. Especially when you have thousands of devs working on every release these days. I guess the people who lament Call of Duty as a whole for lack of innovation secretly just want a CoD Kart Racer or something? Would that shake thinks up in a meaningful way? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Gore is fine but svastikas are not allowed.
What a f joke.

When I see scopes on this weapons:

Lmao I was just about to say, did they swap out all the swastikas? Wtf?

What's next, no confederate flags in a game set in the civil war?

the office rage GIF

Delt31

I thought I read they would allow those in the game. Maybe last min change?

I think you guys have been too rough on it. I like a lot about it (maps, overall flow and feel). Gun sounds need to be amped up though along with less dumb chatter (they're looking at me???!!!)

I also thought cold war was one of the best new CODs. I hated 2019 maps and I still think MW2 is the best (BO3 or 4 is overrated imo).

I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. That means I won't be buying it anytime soon. Too many other games deserving my time.

VN1X

Banned
Ok tried some more, this time on XBOX (Series X), and it's just an absolute clusterfuck. Usually I'll be the first to defend CoD's map design ('cause 9 times out of 10 people going "shit maps!" have no clue what they are actually talking about) but in this case I have to admit... some of these maps are just glorified mazes. Not that the map design is confusing but more that there's too many entry points into every other fuckin' hallway. Too many sightlines as well which is made all the worse by the poor visibility and inconsistent time to kill. When you're actually playing it's just a visual and auditory assault on the senses.

I really wanted to give this a fair shake and so I have. Vanguard ain't for me!

Back to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodhunt I go! That game's in early access, has one map, tons of bugs and still plays leagues better than this year's CoD title. Oof.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Probably the worst beta I've ever played. It's a buggy mess with terrible spawns muffled sound and it's already got, hackers.

It's like a cheap mobile upgrade for World at war or something. People keep saying oh but it's a beta and I'm thinking how in gods name can they fix all these bugs by launch.

Below I posted hackers bugs and the bad spawn system

Last edited:

Mr.Bond

Is it me or is the sound in this game awful and really quiet? Like I just played a map that had a tropical storm happening and couldn’t hear any weather effects? Or they were really quiet. Wtaf.
Even the guns sound like distant popcorn, Horrible audio overall

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably the worst beta I've ever played. It's a buggy mess with terrible spawns muffled sound and it's already got, hackers.

It's like a cheap mobile upgrade for World at war or something. People keep saying oh but it's a beta and I'm thinking how in gods name can they fix all these bugs by launch.

Below I posted hackers bugs and the bad spawn system

Even the guns sound like distant popcorn, Horrible audio overall
I never understood how and why any shooter can have shit muted audio. It doesn't even have to be real life gun recordings.

Its a game. It should be rocking with awesome blasting sounds. I'm no gun expert (I've only shot guns in Vegas), but I have a hard time believing shooting assault rifles and LMGs can sound like little puffing sounds.

I'm not saying make it so loud you cant hear anything else and it'll blow out your speakers, but holy shit you'd think whomever does audio (and anyone checking the game's progress) would put their hands up and say the guns sound like nothing.

For example, here's a chick shooting an M16 in real life. Sounds 10x better than any COD game.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
TTK is MW 2019 low so it's great for casual players compared to Black Ops IV and Cold War.
It's ugly but runs pretty well, I think I prefer the gameplay to Cold War even if it looks inferior.

It plays closer to the movement speed of Cold war, with the TTK of MW.

Terrrrrible combo.

manfestival

Since we are leaving our critiques here. I put some time in the beta. Using CODMW19 as a baseline since it was the highest rated and most praised COD in a very very long time. The matchmaking options are abundant though I think they will be trimmed down in time. Especially when the pool of gamers gets smaller. Not an example of this but previous titles including CODMW19 have consolidated their playlists for what I assume is to minimize match searching times. I think the current state of this is a plus but likely won't last.
Graphics: They look fine. Though I do not consider this a good/bad thing. It is basically meeting the bare minimum for a COD game at this point. Granted the feel is like a reskin of CODMW. Just kinda funny seeing slide cancelling WW2 soldiers. Once again, everything in general looks par for the course.
Gameplay: Disappointed. TTK/TTD feels like I am playing hardcore in core. If anything, the TTK feels closer to normal. The TTD just feels insanely fast. In fact, it reminds me of the issue that occurred with BF5. Which lead to Dice overcorrecting the issue causing many gripes within the community. Slide cancels are back(we mw19 again boiz). The gunplay feels solid but... it needs balance. For example, flinching is near nonexistent when it comes to bullets. Not too many encounters with melee so no comment on that. Also recoil, it seems there is very little deviation from the standard down to the right or down for shooting while aiming down sights. Guns do feel ok generally speaking but it is clear that every gun is either a laser beam or one shots people. Spawns are also worse in this than they were in CODMW19 beta. They were pretty bad back then too. Spawn dying feels like shipment sometimes without the excuse of being a mapdesigned to be so tiny.
Sound: Bad. This area has the biggest room for improvement. People run up from all sides and I either never hear them or it is way too late before I do. I have been playing a ton of Apex, CODMW19, and other games lately where the sound design really set examples of how it is done. I understand they were effectively tuned overtime(do not forget how insanely loud footsteps were in CODMW19). Though it just feels more like an afterthought. Also guns do not sound good. Everything just sounds like a peashooter. Funny enough, I played this game with very high end headphones and more traditional "gamer" headphones. I could hear the compressions and even sound artifacts. Now games have a lower ceiling when it comes to this stuff but this game was just something that felt like a waste to use anything above "gamer" grade headphones. FYI Doom Eternal is amazing and an all encompassing title with only a few sound samples that really take me out of the experience here and there.

Overall thoughts: thank you to anyone that cared to read my opinion. This is a hard pass for me. It doesn't do enough and definitely feels like a madden game in a sense.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Call of Duty was always a casual game, but with data science driven development the last few games have gone even more casual. It's literally made for monkeys now, I'm gonna have to pass unfortunately. I mean can they lower the skill ceiling any lower than they already have in the last few years?

I feel like this is a Call of Duty mobile game on a console.

TheShocker

This game is downright awful. I wasn’t happy about the WWII theme either. Playing the beta just confirmed passing on this. I’ve dumped about 600 hours into Warzone, so I’m sure this new batch of guns will be meta and I’ll miss out on the grind, but I can’t justify giving Activision any more money. But hey, at least we get an anti-cheat finally. 😂

The game feels great. Sounds terrible tho. Nothing has the punch from MW2019...but its far and I mean faaaaaaaar better than cold war.
This beta is not better than cold war. And that's coming from someone that hasn't played cold war in forever. Unless cold war has recently undergone a makeover and trashed it's sound and graphic design. This beta did not scratch any itch for me as far as fps goes.

Top Bottom