• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Vanguard Removed From PlayStation Store Featured Section

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last year, PlayStation removed Cyberpunk 2077 from the PlayStation Store. This year, it's removed Call of Duty: Vanguard from the featured section of the digital storefront. When Cyberpunk 2077 was removed it was due to the quality of the game. This time, this isn't the case. Vanguard's removal from the featured section of the digital storefront has nothing to do with its quality, and right now, the game can still be purchased on the PlayStation Store, and this won't change.

So, why has it been seemingly yanked from the featured section of the storefront? Well, PlayStation doesn't say, but it likely has to do with the current situation at Activision and the turmoil surrounding its CEO Bobby Kotick, who has been called to step down by investors, partners, employees, and much of the industry over reports of repugnant behavior. One of the aforementioned partners, according to a report, is said to be PlayStation.

Not long after this alleged email made the rounds, Call of Duty: Vanguard was yanked from the top of the PlayStation Store, a spot it likely had due to PlayStation and Activision's relationship. As you may know, PlayStation has been the official partner platform for Call of Duty since the PS4 generation, which means PlayStation is emphasized in all of the game's marketing and PlayStation gives the game boosts in promotion in return. That said, it sounds like this partnership may be in danger of coming to an end.

Mr Moose

Could be random? Mine has 6, I am sure it had GTA showing, I refreshed and it has FIFA now. Tried refreshing a few more times and nothing changed, so I might've been seeing things.
PlayStationOfficialS.png

EDMIX

Holy fucking shit!

I knew they'd make some statement, but I never thought this. I don't even know how much that will hurt Activision tbh, as I feel that featured section is great for new teams, new IP etc, I don't know what that shit would really do to a Call Of Duty everyone already knows about lol

Maybe they did it cause it was soft ball throw or something, be like "and they being removed from the PlayStation Holiday Cards ad drawing....bunch of bitches" lol

1280x720.jpg

Censors Tiananmen Square massacre clips for CCP (Cold War ads): all g, whatever

Sexual harassment issues: let’s take action!

To be clear, these harassment issues are really fucking bad. But it puts things into perspective.
I never understood this thinking.

Why doesnt this company take a stance aganist a country that has shown they will attack you financially, your internet security, maybe even the well being of your employees…..

…but take a stance about an issue in a democratic country.

..mm YEAH?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wtf do they care. They are cancelling their deals over allegations?! It’s not confirmed. Time and time again… stop. Let the judge out better witnesses decide.
Any disgruntled employees can say a bad thing about previous job

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have a feeling this is some benign, nothing-of-a-decision related entirely to marketing, but who knows these days.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This means absolutely nothing. So they removed a game due to its quality but simply removed a front page advertisement due to sexual assault allegations but left it up for sale cause obviously money trumps everything.
Pretty much. It is funny. We are talking about Call of Duty, not some indie title that would actually be hurt by this. If Sony actually cared about sexual allegations, they would have removed the game from the store.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Wtf do they care. They are cancelling their deals over allegations?! It’s not confirmed. Time and time again… stop. Let the judge out better witnesses decide.
Any disgruntled employees can say a bad thing about previous job
They don’t care. Call of Duty promotes consoles not the other way around. This is them pretending to care.

Isa

Gold Member
Seems like a fairly small move if true, like throwing shade on facebook. Could also be coincidental, automated, or just underperforming and lead to focusing on better performing adverts.

Entertaining the idea of why so many are joining in on the hate bandwagon. Sure its all terrible what happened, but what about some endgame? Activision is quite large with several reputable IP's and tons of developers. Granted not all are up to their old par but still. I could see this being a way to pressure some form of cheaper negotiating costs for future console deals, or even the dissolution and auction, or even outright sale of Activion and their subsidiaries. That is a ton of talent and potential. Not saying its going to happen, just entertaining the thought. Like imagine if the devs of the recent Crash titles were allowed reassemble and go back to the IP, what if it was sold to Sony again? What if CoD went console/pc exclusive? I know people will say that'll never happen. Just contemplating the what ifs.....

MrFunSocks

Banned
As you may know, PlayStation has been the official partner platform for Call of Duty since the PS4 generation, which means PlayStation is emphasized in all of the game's marketing and PlayStation gives the game boosts in promotion in return. That said, it sounds like this partnership may be in danger of coming to an end
Lol yeh right. Sony care about $ and that partnership brings them bulk $, probably more than all their exclusives combined.

nikos

Gold Member
As if CoD needs to be featured. Everybody knows about the game. This is even more publicity for it.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
So it's still available but slightly moves to the back? Sounds like hollow posturing strikes again. But no one is surprised. Money is always priority #1.

Filben

Soooo they just reduced the promoting? Not sure what effect they try to accomplish with that in regards to the allegations.

base

Banned
Don't care about Kottick but seeing Activision Blizzard going bankrupt would make me smile.

Mr Hyde

It's up on the front page for me, in the "Must see"-section.

And the "What's hot"-section.

Last edited:
Top Bottom