• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: World at War Videos (Wii)

Tab0203

Scrubking said:
I haven't noticed, but it does seem like more people are going online. There seems to be a surge of low level players whenever I go on now.

@Tab

I love the game too. I think it's great and play it all the time, but there's no denying the fact that a lot of the textures are bad and the game is missing a lot of stuff for no good reason.
I never denied it. Most textures look like shit up close. The gifs were meant to show ragdoll physics and hit detection.

I'm contemplating getting this. I downloaded the demo on the 360 and while I hated it at first I found myself playing it more and more. Though the controls drove me crazy, I can't play FPS with dual analog any more. Are there a fair amount of people online on this?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:
I'm contemplating getting this. I downloaded the demo on the 360 and while I hated it at first I found myself playing it more and more. Though the controls drove me crazy, I can't play FPS with dual analog any more. Are there a fair amount of people online on this?

I never have trouble finding a game so I would assume so.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This thread needs a title change...

Cod:World at War -Wii Discussion Thread or something.

It's not like you can talk about it the officla thread without gettin' swamped by the 360/ps3 skus.

Mods?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Scrubking said:
For those who care, Treyarch is blaming the Wii hardware for the lack of splitscreen co-op... and I guess everything else they left out. Also apparently the mediocre visuals use up all of the Wii's resources (I guess he hasn't seen The Conduit).
Phase 1: Complete

Scrubking

Shin Johnpv said:

Yeah come online. I promise I'll go easy on you. I dominated on Kak a little too hard, but he understands ;p

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Shin Johnpv said:

Developers take notice, see? There's a small army of us :lol
Right budget, right effort and we'll support you with our $.

Flunkie

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
This thread needs a title change...

Cod:World at War -Wii Discussion Thread or something.

It's not like you can talk about it the officla thread without gettin' swamped by the 360/ps3 skus.

Mods?
Agreed.

basik

Shin Johnpv said:

yep theres people on at all times, I was in a full game at 6am est this morning.
even when you start a game with like 4 players in a few minutes another 4 will usually join in. (also before I played the game I thought 4vs4 was too small but after playing it its just right for these maps.)

Treyarch has posted a thread asking for suggestions to improve the next COD Wii game:

http://www.callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=70985

I think you have to register to read it.

Hello!

I'm glad to hear so much positive feedback come out of the Wii community. I hope you're all enjoying CoD:WW.

What I'd like to learn are some things you liked / disliked about the game, more specifically with how it controls. Any and all feedback is welcomed. Making really solid FPS controls for the Wii can be challenging, so we're trying to perfect that over time.

I have read these boards and am aware many of you wanted split screen, online co-op, drivable vehicles, Zombies, etc. So outside of those things, what else would you tweak / improve about the game, the game mechanics, and gameplay in-general? I'm not looking for a list of bugs - I got that already from reading the forums =).

Thanks!
-JD

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I can't tell why the "lag" is getting so bad for me, but it's really ruining the game. I don't really think it's lag though, because I usually have 4 bars in every game and if I aim where the aim assist tells me to, the shots land instantly. It's like leading, but having to lead a walking target four feet is pretty ridiculous.

Tab0203

2yoe8lh.jpg

15ml5l0.jpg

23wodc0.jpg

ixb7z9.jpg

e0qhl.jpg

1z51cmg.jpg

250827k.jpg

2lapkw6.jpg

*edit*

Call of Duty: World at War - Wii Controls
Music: Operation Flashpoint

Call of Duty: World at War - Wii Controls 2
Music: Call Of Duty: World at War

Control method comparison (dual analog, M/KB, Wii)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14397471&postcount=187

Control method comparison 2 (dual analog, M/KB, Wii, DS)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14445985&postcount=404

qrdjee.gif

r8fd41.gif

More dual analog gifs:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14398559&postcount=205

Turning speed:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14398313&postcount=202

Scrubking

Ysiadmihi said:
I can't tell why the "lag" is getting so bad for me, but it's really ruining the game. I don't really think it's lag though, because I usually have 4 bars in every game and if I aim where the aim assist tells me to, the shots land instantly. It's like leading, but having to lead a walking target four feet is pretty ridiculous.

I think it's just veteran mode. I played it the other day and it was horrible. Then I played Hardcore and it was fine. Lots of people play in Veteran.

kinggroin

Banned
*sigh

The game really is fun (thanks again, great wiimote controls!)

BUT

The missing modes and shitacular visuals (the game does NOT look as good as those gifs and vids) really sour me. However, this is a step in the right direction; let's hope the next game from these guys are carbon copies of their HD cousins (minus the visuals of course).

gamingeek

I agree with Tab, this game has huge environments and tons of stuff going on. Sure some of the textures are low poly, some others are good. But given what's going on, it looks pretty good. Sure if you sit around and inspect individual textures they wont hold up. But if you are just playing the game it has a nice overall look to it.

It should be noted that if you are playing on an HDTV it will look shit because of scaling. On a decent SDTV it can look suprisingly good depending on what area you are in. But movement is the game's best friend and the sheer amount of stuff going on. Could it be better? Hell yes, imagine if it was a custom Wii engine and had the talent of retro or Factor 5 or Criterion making it. But it still is a decent effort. And the game is fun to play, especially with Wii controls, despite its laggy ADS aiming.

peleliu_-_squadmate_covering.jpg

peleliu_-_squademate_attack-640x.jpg

peleliu_-_squademate_ambush-640x.jpg

peleliu_-_artillery_cover.jpg

okinawa_-_squadmate_enabled-640x.jpg

okinawa_-_ready_aim..-640x.jpg

okinawa_-_feild_of_fire-640x.jpg

makin_-_squadmate_escape-640x.jpg

berlin_-_russian_attack-640x.jpg

basik

gamingeek said:
It should be noted that if you are playing on an HDTV it will look shit because of scaling. On a decent SDTV it can look suprisingly good depending on what area you are in.

thats all I can think of when people keep saying it looks like "shit", I'm playing on a 60inch SDtv and it looks fine. also those pics you just posted look much worse than it does on my tv.

And the game is fun to play, especially with Wii controls, despite its laggy ADS aiming.

did you try tweaking your controls? I turn the ads dead zone to 'small', I dont have any lag.

I turned my camera turn speed to 'insane' last night and now I got even better. I was trying to build my gewehr 43 up to rifle grenades last night and was kicking ass with it after I changed the camera turn speed.

gamingeek

basik said:
thats all I can think of when people keep saying it looks like "shit", I'm playing on a 60inch SDtv and it looks fine. also those pics you just posted look much worse than it does on my tv.

did you try tweaking your controls? I turn the ads dead zone to 'small', I dont have any lag.

I turned my camera turn speed to 'insane' last night and now I got even better. I was trying to build my gewehr 43 up to rifle grenades last night and was kicking ass with it after I changed the camera turn speed.

CRT SDTVs with component cables are best for Wii. HDTVs will screw most games up apart from some Nintendo games which hold up well, but lost sharpness and gain jaggies. LCDs aren't great for non-HD games. The response time usually isn't up to snuff and colours aren't as good as a great CRT. The game does look better on my TV than those screens too, with occasional slowdown and occasional bad textures. People should also realise that the game is constantly streaming the environment from the disc, so I've had occasions where suddenly a shitty texture suddenly pops into great detail. They have temporary textures all over the place.

On controls, I have everything set to fast/insane. But I also own MOHH2 and the ADS in that game is insanely responsive compared to this game. I find horizontal ADS aiming do-able but vertical adjustments is too unresponsive. However the normal aiming and turning controls are as fast and responsive as anything else on the system.

TunaLover

I could be prefer a less detailed game with a consistent texture engine, I hate when a texture pop-ups from nowhere, even my weapon once turn from a muddy texture to a detailed one.

basik

wow the wii version got 2 new online modes today, maybe they will add more stuff like CTF:

pic is from the banned nintendo site (thanks):

2zsa8w7.jpg

"Now that’s the kind of support we want to see! Hardcore FFA and Team Survival have both been added. "

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Wait, what?

If they'd have told us they were gonna update online, maybe I wouldn't have sold the game!

witness

Hmmmm so they added game modes in? So how is this game online now? Is it easy to find a game? Lots of people on? Considering getting this since its still on sale at target.

MarkusRJR

Hmm... this gives me a good enough reason to put Call of Duty back into my Wii. But I have a question: What the hell is "Team Survival"? It sounds like something similar to the Nazi Zombie mode (judging by the name alone).

EDarkness

Yaceka said:
Hmm... this gives me a good enough reason to put Call of Duty back into my Wii. But I have a question: What the hell is "Team Survival"? It sounds like something similar to the Nazi Zombie mode (judging by the name alone).

Not sure, but I'm gonna have to jump online a little later to check it out.

I've been playing online a lot recently, and there have been plenty of people to play against. Haven't had any problems getting into games. Too bad I still suck at it...but hey, it's still fun. :)

Disguises

witness said:
Hmmmm so they added game modes in? So how is this game online now? Is it easy to find a game? Lots of people on? Considering getting this since its still on sale at target.

I think its just an online thing, where the devs just 'click a switch' to enable the modes rather than a patch. I usually find a game pretty fast, no more than 30 seconds wait usually. It doesn't actually say how many people are online but theres at least 411,102 players in total (not online simoultaneously!) (taken from the leaderboards with a profile at 2 kills).

Yaceka said:

Team survival - "Team deathmatch for experienced players only. One life, no perks, and no kill streak." Sounds pretty tough.

Edit: Game just froze on me. Dam. Also, Team survival isn't very rewarding. The game lasts roughly 1 minute, players are awarded a normal amount of points (10 per kill) and then the game loads up a new map. Would be more useful if the player was awarded more points per kill.

maxmars

o_O

That's neat! (And a first on Wii?)

I've been neglecting WaW for the past few days (due to HOTD:Overkill) but this evening I'll be all over it. Thanks for the heads up! :D

Top Bottom