• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: WWII (PC/PS4/XB1, Nov 3) Info: Campaign, Zombies, MP, Trailer, More

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Q_XYVescc&feature=youtu.be
Livestream recording: https://www.callofduty.com/

Information:
  • The game release on November 3rd, 2017 for PC, PS4, and XB1. It's made by Sledgehammer Games, who last did Advanced Warfare.
  • There's your regular 30 day exclusivity map window on the PS4 version.
  • There will be a private beta that you can get into by pre-ordering. It will be at least three days long.
  • There's a regular $60 edition, or a $100 edition that comes with a bunch of bonuses and the season pass.
  • The game takes place in World War II, which you may have inferred from the title.
  • The campaign primarily focuses on the European theater and follows the actions of a U.S. 1st Infantry Division squad from the perspective of rookie private Ronald ”Red" Daniels as they fight from France, through Belgium, and into Germany between 1944 to 1945. You will play as other characters during the campaign.
  • However, the campaign also features missions taking place between 1940 and 1944 to "help set the stage for the narrative and establish the characters".
  • It's worth noting that the official blog repeatedly mentions things like "global perspective", "diverse ensemble cast", and "men and women", so if you were hoping for minority or female presence within the campaign, you're in luck. The French Resistance is listed as one such group you encounter.
  • If you specifically want to know all the game's diversity (feel free to discuss this without using spoiler tags in the thread):
    "Other characters appear including female resistance fighters, a soldier in an African-American unit (the U.S. Army was still segregated in WWII), a British officer and even a child."
  • Two campaign missions were detailed during the livestream. While I'm spoiler tagging these in the OP, feel free to talk at them at length without using spoiler tags. This is your primary warning for people concerned about knowing campaign mission details.
  • The game doesn't have regenerating health, though they're not saying what is replacing it yet. You will be much more vulnerable in the game in general, and this is also reflected in the story.
  • Mission 1:
    Hürtgen Forest: An old-growth forest on the German border where Allied forces engage in devastating encounters. In the heat of battle, the German Army uses tree burst bombs that detonate at treetop level, showering soldiers with wooden shrapnel. When your unit is zeroed-in-on by hostile artillery, the forest explodes around you as debris rains down.
  • Mission 2:
    Normandy: From inside a Higgins landing boat, your squad will storm Omaha Beach in a visceral audiovisual experience unlike any D-Day landing experienced in a game to date. You and your fellow soldiers must overcome the enemy defenses to serve as the tip of the spear for the Allied invasion.
  • Josh Duhamel will be in the campaign as part of your Squad.
  • There's also a separate cooperative campaign that they're not talking about yet. It sounds like this is separate from the below note, but I'm not 100% sure.
  • Seemingly in addition to the co-op campaign, the game will have Zombies mode. Specifically, "Nazi Zombies, an all-new cooperative mode featuring a unique standalone storyline set during World War II that's full of unexpected, adrenaline-pumping action."
  • The game's multiplayer will be revealed at E3 between June 13th and June 15th, but we know a few starting details:
  • The game features "boots on the ground" gameplay. If you didn't like the new movement stuff introduced with Advanced Warfare, this one is for you.
  • There is now a social hub called "Headquarters" where you can hang out and meet up with friends. Think The Tower in Destiny or a town in World of Warcraft. There's a screenshot of this below.
  • There's a mode called Divisions where you choose to join the Infantry, Airborne, or Armored division, create your own class, and then "progress through the ranks". Presumably this has something to do with unlocks.
  • In multiplayer, beyond American G.I.s, you can play as "women resistance fighters, Brits, African-American GIs and others to be announced". You can also play as German.
  • There is another mode called War. "War is the name given to objective-based team contests between axis and allies that are all about taking ground, so there will be missions that task one side with defense and the other with attack."
  • In case that "Headquarters" note sounded bizarre, Sledgehammer's explanation is "Headquarters is a "social space" for players to hang out between matches, to "be rewarded and have fun."
  • I will try to update this as more info comes out today.
Source 1: http://charlieintel.com/call-of-duty-wwii/
Source 2: https://twitter.com/CallofDuty
Source 3: http://www.polygon.com/features/2017/4/26/15428192/call-of-duty-wwii-impressions-analysis-preview
Source 4: https://community.activision.com/t5/Call-of-Duty/Announcing-Call-of-Duty-WWII/ba-p/10231255

Select Screenshots:

largev1b8la7.jpg

largev1d3zfp.jpg

largev1ryzb9.jpg

largev168y68.jpg

p32DAUi.png

Alexious

I don't think there are two separate co-op campaigns. I think it's just the Zombie mode, which will have a storyline.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
it's not just "fuck yeah murica"

Obviously, not all German soldiers were genocidal Nazis, but the uniform they wore and the fight they fought represent those atrocities, even if the historical subtleties between Wehrmacht and SS are hazy to most of us.

”The big distinction that Germans still make today is that between the German military and the Nazis," says Schofield. ”We made sure we made that distinction in the game, that the Germans were doing their duty ..."

"We have a great historic conflict of good vs evil," says fellow co-founder Michael Condrey. "But to make factions work you have to play as the Axis. In no way are we going to glorify that position but we also can't shy away from it."

http://www.polygon.com/features/2017/4/26/15428192/call-of-duty-wwii-impressions-analysis-preview

This definitely seems like a good shift for the franchise. It'll be interesting playing a CoD without regenerating health again

Reposting from locked thread: That honestly didn't look very good. Maybe I'm still residually sick of WWII (and now WWI as well) putting way too much on Americans, but that trailer was the opposite of interesting to me.

After playing as the Red Army in WaW, this just looks so damn vanilla.

Story-wise at least. There's still room for the multiplayer to be cool, but the story looks pretty disappointing to me. RIP Reznov.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Syf

Banned
Thanks for combining everything Nirolak. This is all sounding pretty good. Might be time to give CoD another shot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I hope the diversity is less token than the BF1 thing. And hopefully they just don't pretend that history matters and let you choose your character skin in multiplayer.
(B-b-b-b-ut Black/Asian soldiers weren't in Conflict X!)

Also, that D-day opening made it look like an HD version of Medal of Honor. lol

If this is true, would it be the first major WW2 game to actually say that the holocaust happened?

Any word on the different editions up for preorder?

I know of the regular and the Pro editions - but where is the crazy-expensive ultra-limited edition??

I shouldn't be surprised, but still disappointed nonetheless to see this skipping the Switch. Portable FPS with clickable sticks when :/

Looking solid tho, will prob pick up for PC

Top Bottom