• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Callisto Protocol Devs ask for patience... and deserve none

While not to the level of the Cyberpunk fiasco in 2020, this is certainly the latest example of AAA swindling.

They are a smaller company and they needed the game to come out before Christmas, i.e. they wanted those holiday dollars and they had their ad buys locked in.

There was no delaying the game from their perspective, so they launched knowing that the game was in this state. How do we know that? The short turnaround time on the review embargo confirms that.

This is graft and no amount of pleading or white knighting should convince anyone of having any sympathy for this development studio. If anything they should be made an example of. Studios keep trying to take gamers for a ride. I was someone who fully supported publishers shifting prices to 70 dollars. Adjusted for inflation and the cost of today's modern gaming I felt it appropriate, but they've moved the goalposts with games that aren't ready, season passes, MTX e.t.c. Just because you can make some extra cash on gamers, doesn't mean you should. I'd rather they increase the price of the standalone game and have it be a complete product, and I'll decide whether the price of the game is worth it to me.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Kabelly

this is why i virtually buy no games at launch unless it's something i can't resist.

wait 5 months you get patches and new features. Wait a few years and you'll have a complete edition for $20

Only reason I ended up buying Days Gone at the time was because they retroactively patched in motion control aiming.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
On one hand they could have delayed the game a few months like almost every publisher is doing, on the other hand their bonuses were probably tied to having the game come out before an arbitrary date (Christmas window I reckon).

Arun1910

Once again we have a classic case of games releasing to make investors happy.

A lot of the time it isn’t the Developers fault, I don’t think any dev wants to work years on a game to release something they know is unfinished just to have it run through the mud..

Games releasing in unfinished states are always because of the higher ups.

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

I still haven’t played the game so I’ll reserve judgment on it and not bash it based on someone’s opinion. What i can say that is that these guys opened a studio and developed a game in 3 years. All that in the middle of a pandemic. But i guess everyone is a couch developer nowadays. From the technical videos I’ve seen. Only the PC version is on a bad place. But so was Elden Ring. Kena. Sackboy and so many more and these games were from companies that have been around for a long time and had huge budgets.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If you don't feel the game is worth the money don't buy it. The developer didn't slap your mom or something. I do think it deserves to fail financially for being a bad game, but no need to take it personally.

K' Dash

If you have a PS5 I would recommend it, the complaints about the combat are incredibly stupid, I’m destroying fools left and right with my baton and hand cannon in 4 v 1 fights, the dodge is very easy to do and so satisfying to pull of and then punish.

If you come here expecting Dead Space combat you’re going to have a bad time, this is not a shooter, this is a melee driven combat, the guns are support weapons.

I actually love what they’ve done with the combat, it’s easy to learn, hard to master and not like anything in other games, which is a plus in my book.

It’s a fantastic effort by a small team to deliver this in a very short time frame, Im sure the sequel will be more polished, and I’m going to be there day one.

FrozenFlame

This is why patience pays off. I'll wait a few months (or even a year) and I'll get the game cheaper, fixed and perhaps with more content. If not, at least I didn't waste 60€ in a game day one to have to wait until they fix it (or if).
Also, got to love, even if different people, how it goes from "Holy shit, looks amazing, day 1" to "Reviewers are harsh!", "Wait for the day 1 patch", "Average of 70 means nothing, x game had it and it was amazing" and finally "FUCKING LAZY DEVS!" or "GREEDY BASTARDS!!!".

xrnzaaas

The game runs perfectly on PS5. I don't see the issue.
PS5 version got like three 10GB+ patches prior to the release. They just didn't make it in time with fixing the PC version since it's more complex. ;)

I can't say this surprises me, this always happens to December releases because you're rushing it to release the game before the holiday season. Hope it was worth it.

Moses85

I am out, a lot of my friends too. This decission wasnt very smart.

These devs will never learn their lessons. Release your Games when they are READY!!!

anthony2690

Banned
I thought the game was in a really good state on playstation? (& A good state on Xbox) (edit, I forgot PS4 & X1 exist)

Surprised to see an article from playstation lifestyle.

& Digital Foundry pretty much gave the game glowing praise?

& Most the players who seem to be playing it on console seem to really enjoy it.

I'm confused at all these negative posts now.

Last edited:

Forsythia

I'll get this on Xbox when they've patched in the missing features. It looks pretty fun. But it is clear they prioritised one platform, so why should I give them €70 if they can't be bothered to give other platforms the same attention.

tommib

Bought it fuck it.
I want to support scifi horror games
So much this, man. I think at this point it’s my favourite genre. And you know what, it’s totally what I was expecting but I think I had different expectations from most people.

TrebleShot

What a crock of shit this thread is.
Game is smooth for 30fps and runs well on PS5.

First game from a new studio and the first original title in this genre for a long time but let’s shit on it.

Because of this outrage and negative feeling around it these guys will likely make a F2P FPS battle Royale next with cartoony graphics and MTX out the ears.

Personally I am enjoying it and it’s a throw back to simpler times.

tommib

What a crock of shit this thread is.
Game is smooth for 30fps and runs well on PS5.

First game from a new studio and the first original title in this genre for a long time but let’s shit on it.

Because of this outrage and negative feeling around it these guys will likely make a F2P FPS battle Royale next with cartoony graphics and MTX out the ears.

Personally I am enjoying it and it’s a throw back to simpler times.
Thank you for writing this.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Dude, whatever. Game was unplayable for the day of release, and the patch they pushed out fixed it.

Yeah, I was upset i couldn't play it Friday night, but it was NOT an intentional swindle. They published the wrong build. Thats why they were able to fix it within hours.

Top Bottom