• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Came into work to Pokemon Craze

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
So,

I got into work today and literally every single person was wandering around hunting for Pokemon. Most of them don't play games at all, the few that weren't downloaded the app because everyone else was playing.

Never seen anything like this, seems like Nintendo has quite the hit on their hands.

Lock if Unnecessary.

It feels exactly like when Red/Blue hit. I went out today and everyone walking around was playing. People in stores were talking about playing.

Dio

Banned
There are roving bands of kids outside my apartment, along with college age kids and mid 20s like me.

A couple hours ago someone almost got hit by a car near my place walking into the road trying to catch a pokemon.

HotHamBoy

The weird thing about this whole concept is that it seems like the kind of thing people would freak out about for fear of children being molested. But I haven't heard anything like that... Yet.

dity

Imagine some guy at the stock exchange playing the game and then he sees a Rapidash with cp1000, before he completes typing out the proper monetary values he goes catches and gets so excited he packs up and leaves. A global financial crisis occurs.

reKon

Banned
I haven't played this, but it seems like the developers need to put in hard work and overtime to get this thing running smoothly. They have such a good opportunity. This could be potentially bigger than Clash of Clans ever was.

I'm not playing, but my wife has never spent any money on any kind of mobile gaming before. Today she got all stocked up on pokeballs. It's nuts.

RedToad64

Imagine some guy at the stock exchange playing the game and then he sees a Rapidash with cp1000, before he completes typing out the proper monetary values he goes catches and gets so excited he packs up and leaves. A global financial crisis occurs.
This is what I think about every day.

Pau

How much are pokeballs? Can you get them for free/ is it something that resupplies every day?
You get them for free from PokeStops. I haven't had to buy any and consistently have 200+. Might be different for folks in more rural areas.

Toxi

Banned
How much are pokeballs? Can you get them for free/ is it something that resupplies every day?
You get them for free by visiting Pokestops on the map (Generally 2-4 at a time) or by leveling up.

I haven't needed to spend any money yet and I have a pretty comfortable stock of Pokeballs right now.

it's kind of insane how it both solidifies their base while expanding its reach to people far outside it. Pokemon are cool.

crazy that there's a new Pokemon game and it's not on any Nintendo systems

TrounceX

Was the same way at my work on Friday until the servers went down. Large government agency with tons of middle aged people who I would have never suspected play video games. There is a gym located down the block and we walked there with a handful of people over lunch.

SalvaPot

I actually tried to buy a decent smartphone just so I could play this game... and failed, because it was unable to pick up the GPS signal. Maaaaan I want to play it so bad.

I borrowed a friends phone, walked around, catched a rhydon, took down a gym with hitmonchan. I am sold.

I don't know why I didn't think this app would take off. As much as it doesn't really cater to me, it really does serve its purpose for the general mainstream who have fond memories of Pokemon when they were growing up but don't play the actual games anymore. Nintendo really struck gold here, at least that looks to be the case. I think this is going to help shape the landscape for Nintendo's future on mobile phones.

Dark_castle

Who would have guessed Pokemon will be the first thing that brought people of all gender, races, religion belief, social status and background together. Well done Nintendo, well done.

OuterLimits

Yeah, people were talking about it at the bar I work at. They aren't exactly gamers or Pokemon fans either. Seems like it is pretty popular.

wmlk

Why do we continually mention Nintendo when this is a hit done by The Pokémon Company and Niantic?

watershed

Banned
It is crazy. I was at a park for a nephew's birthday today and there were waves of people walkng by playing Pokemon go. We could see them all end up at the same spot. I assume there was a pokemon or a gym or something there. I've never seen a mobile game play out in front of me like that.

Yep it's taken over my work as well as my social media feed. Many I never thought would be interested in it ended up downloading it.

Azuran

Banned
Why do we continually mention Nintendo when this is a hit done by The Pokémon Company and Niantic?

I mean Nintendo pretty much owns and runs The Pokemon Company considering they also have shares in Game Freak and Creatures along with their own.

Who would have guessed Pokemon will be the first thing that brought people of all gender, races, religion belief, social status and background together. Well done Nintendo, well done.

One of the goals of the Franchise is to be a social experience that allows people to bond over a topic even beyond language barriers. Go fits perfectly into that mindset only it was far more successful than the traditional games since Red/Blue have been in this space.

wmlk

I think Nintendo own half the company.

Not half, but that's really not the point, I just think it has more implications for the future of Pokémon than the future of Nintendo.

Masuda has been open to bringing the games to mobile, and the results I'm sure are an eyeopener.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yesterday it's all people were doing including myself. I don't even like pokemon this is a great excuse for exercise.

Azuran

Banned
Not half, but that's really not the point, I just think it has more implications for the future of Pokémon than the future of Nintendo.

Masuda has been open to bringing the games to mobile, and the results I'm sure are an eyeopener.

Nintendo is certainly not letting the main series move to mobile. That would basically be a death sentence to their own handhelds.

AdanVC

This is crazy. It truly feels like we're on the late 90s with the Pokémon fever all over again. But this time, EVERYONE is playing it. On the late 90s, only the children were obsessed with Pokémon because they were the only ones with a Gameboy but today, everyone has a smarthphone and since the app is free, it only takes a few minutes to download it and try it out and it's there when people get hooked.

wmlk

Nintendo is certainly not letting the main series move to mobile. That would basically be a death sentence to their own handhelds.

Who has the leverage in this case? TPC or Nintendo? Moving forward (this is a hypothetical), will Nintendo be able to stop TPC if they decide that they want the mainline Pokémon games to be on mobile?

Blizzard

Banned
I saw 2 random young adults wandering my apartment complex at 11 p.m. -- turns out they were playing.

A friend's roommate got in a low-speed car accident playing it while driving. I can only hope most people don't do it and drive.

Chuck

Still without luck
It feels exactly like when Red/Blue hit. I went out today and everyone walking around was playing. People in stores were talking about playing.

It's a shame because Go is shit tier shovelware with pokemon slapped on top, and red/blue were amazingly well designed games.

Top Bottom