• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Came into work to Pokemon Craze

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Pokemon Strangler was finally apprehended by authorities after he was found hiding in the bushes near a notorious Pokemon gym. He is suspected in the disappearances of nearly a dozen would be Trainers by luring them to isolated areas with claims of finding several rare pokemon. He was known for Machoking his victims before stroking his Venasaur off on the remains.

Yesterday a work mate told me he went to the beach with a friend and 40 people were on the beach with their phones out. Some guy in the distance yelled out about Dratini's being where he was and everybody started moving over.

As someone who doesn't see anything super special about GO, but loves the traditional RPG's....this is crazy nuts. People love it.

Tagyhag

I feel like the game will be forgotten by the majority of the casual crowd by next month like every other mobile fad.

Not half, but that's really not the point, I just think it has more implications for the future of Pokémon than the future of Nintendo.

Masuda has been open to bringing the games to mobile, and the results I'm sure are an eyeopener.

Count it or not, the futures of both are intertwined with each other. And Nintendo doing well with this IP will help influence its future in mobile and it will influence Pokemon Company's future in terms of marketing the IP to a new blue ocean within the mobile genre.

That said, just because it's working well for mobile though, does not mean that it will conclude with main pokemon games getting onto a phone, mainly because the creators, the developers, and Nintendo still hold the console philosophy tight.

I feel like the game will be forgotten by the majority of the casual crowd by next month like every other mobile fad.

And they'll probably make back at least three times their investment by then regardless.

Same here.

I work in a convenience store and for the past 2 days now we've had a ton of people coming in playing Pokemon Go and excitingly talking about it.

It actually seems cool as hell and I love talking with them about it. But I'm also kind of bummed because I don't have a smartphone so I can't play too :/

wmlk

Count it or not, the futures of both are intertwined with each other. And Nintendo doing well with this IP will help influence its future in mobile and it will influence Pokemon Company's future in terms of marketing the IP to a new blue ocean within the mobile genre.

That said, just because it's working well for mobile though, does not mean that it will conclude with main pokemon games getting onto a phone, mainly because the creators, the developers, and Nintendo still hold the console philosophy tight.

You're right, my first post was poorly worded and I just wanted to get at why the future of Pokémon isn't talked about nearly as enough as the future of Nintendo on mobile. This would not have worked with any other franchise.

Not half, but that's really not the point, I just think it has more implications for the future of Pokémon than the future of Nintendo.

Masuda has been open to bringing the games to mobile, and the results I'm sure are an eyeopener.
I disagree. Pokemon Go could notably improve Nintendo's profits. How quickly this has taken off probably will make Nintendo rethink their cellphone game strategy. I don't think a soul expected this to take off and be even a small fraction of how big it has become overnight. I'd be curious as I think Animal Crossing could benefit from a similar social gaming strategy that Pokemon Go has started. I also think encouraging using technology to go outside and explore is a good move.

I imagine all parties involved with Pokemon Go are scrambling to fix the server problems, fix any bugs, and start adding more content.

Same for me, OP. Pokemon GO took over my work--if someone had a phone out, there was a 50/50 chance they were playing it.

The social/traversal element is oddly alluring. I even find myself wanting to play it, in spite of not playing mobile games normally. It just sounds adventurous, which is a really good fit for Pokemon (and really puts their "you don't need to catch them all" comment into perspective.)

PGO!

True Fire

The weird thing about this whole concept is that it seems like the kind of thing people would freak out about for fear of children being molested. But I haven't heard anything like that... Yet.

The world has changed since PictoChat. We have children posing sexually and doing drugs on musical.ly and vine. Parents don't give a fuck about child safety anymore.

Khezu

Several people were playing it at my work as well.
And I keep seeing so many people around my town with their phones out doing it.
At first it was kinda shocking how popular it got so quickly.

Its a neat game, with some proper trading, a more in depth battle system, and some PVP, I would probably stick with it.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It's the number one grossing app on the iOS AppStore. Estimated to be bringing in $1.6 Mil a day, just on iOS.

Do you have a source for this estimate? I was wondering how much money it might be bringing in.

Azuran

Banned
Who has the leverage in this case? TPC or Nintendo? Moving forward (this is a hypothetical), will Nintendo be able to stop TPC if they decide that they want the mainline Pokémon games to be on mobile?

I'm pretty sure Nintendo holds the most power in this situation considering they had the most shares in the Pokemon Company. The fact that Ninty is the only one that owns the trademarks for all the Pokemon names kinda shows that.

kennyamr

For some reason I haven't seen a single person playing it. I've tried to look for them but nothing. oh well. I'll keep searching.
Edit: I live in front of NYC.

wmlk

For some reason I haven't seen a single person playing it. I've tried to look for them but nothing. oh well.

Has the app officially released where you are? And the game is more popular in dense cities. Look for lures and you'll probably find people playing there.

Who has the leverage in this case? TPC or Nintendo? Moving forward (this is a hypothetical), will Nintendo be able to stop TPC if they decide that they want the mainline Pokémon games to be on mobile?
I would not be concerned about mainline games being moved to mobile. Pokemon Go and the mainline Pokémon are very different and the experience would not be ideal for mobile. They can both coexist.

StoneFox

TFW my phone can't run it :(

There must have been a pokemon living in my front yard because I watched a dude walking a dog stop in his tracks, wander to my apple tree with his phone out and catch something. Wonder what it was. I'm glad I knew what he was doing as he looked kinda like a creeper hahaha

I live somewhat deep at the end of a culdesac so I never see people playing come by my house. There are no poke stops or anything in my neighborhood either. Closest stop is like 5 or so blocks down at a park.

The board of directors is like 75% active Nintendo executives

Het_Nkik

TFW my phone can't run it :(

There must have been a pokemon living in my front yard because I watched a dude walking a dog stop in his tracks, wander to my apple tree with his phone out and catch something. Wonder what it was. I'm glad I knew what he was doing as he looked kinda like a creeper hahaha

Man, was this me? Was I the creeper!? Do you live in San Diego?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I don't really get the appeal, but I've also only caught Charmander and a fucking Weedle. Can't seem to find anything else no matter where I go so I'm pretty salty over that. 😡

Maybe I get the appeal after all...

oti

Banned
I'm wondering if Nintendo is trying to get their logo on the loading screen after seeing how it's resonating with people.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Thursday afternoon I was stopped at a red light and two old ladies who must have been at least in their mid-60s were waving a phone around on the sidewalk. When the one holding the phone turned, I could see it was Pokemon on the screen. Just two grannies out for a stroll in the neighborhood, catching 'em all.

Rocketz

People keep tweeting screen shots of them in the stores for the client I work on. Lot's of rattata's as I'm scrolling by.

ChrisD

How much are pokeballs? Can you get them for free/ is it something that resupplies every day?

I'm drowning in PokeBalls. Okay, not actually sure how long 86 will last, but yeah.

I just downloaded the app tonight after my sister who hasn't shown excitement for a game in YEARS came over and was like, "You have to get it! We can catch Pokemon like when we were kids." I can definitely see the appeal to it in that one person is all you need to get the ball rolling. Before you know it, you have numerous members of your family and friends playing together chatting it up about what they've done recently.

Nintendo is the controlling owner and has its members on the board of TPC. You may as well think of them as one in the same, as they basically are except when it comes to the record keeping.

Not only that, I'm pretty sure Nintendo has a sizable interest in the company that developed the app in the first place.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
is there a way to see the "map" outside of the app? would be interessted to see if theres any kind of infrastructure in my area. i guess not.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
is there a way to see the "map" outside of the app? would be interessted to see if theres any kind of infrastructure in my area. i guess not.

Look at some of the Ingress maps that are around online. The Pokemon GO map corresponds exactly to it in most cases. Some areas have one Pokestop where Ingress has several individual nodes, but for the most part it's just a reskin of the Ingress map.

SephiZack

How much are pokeballs? Can you get them for free/ is it something that resupplies every day?

It depends on whether you live in a place near pokestops or not and how much you're willing to walk if you don't have pokestops near your house. People who live in rural areas have a smaller supply of pokeballs, but if you live in a big city you might not be able to finish your pokeballs unless you waste them on purpose. I tried playing on the first day in Seoul and I was spinning a pokestop almost every minute.

Kozak

Banned
Think of Wiki what you will but:

In September 2015, it was announced that Niantic is co-developing Pokémon GO with Nintendo and The Pokémon Company for iOS and Android.[20] The following month, Niantic announced Google, Nintendo, and The Pokémon Company would invest $30 million ($20 million upfront with an additional $10 million conditioned upon the company achieving certain milestones[21]) in it to support the growth of the company and its products.

Well played all parties involved.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh fuck me, dude. My friend was just telling me how he used a lure module at home and a group of people showed up on his block playing Pokemon Go. This is gonna be used by more than a few pedophiles, isn't it?

This has been a thought by me as someone not playing, BUT THEN, there are literally people of all ages playing this game, and it attracts multiple people usually all at once, so I feel it wouldn't be incredibly handy as a tool for abductions or something. It doesn't bring lone people to a spot usually it seems, but a crowd.

ChrisD

So Sun/Moon are the last 3DS pokemon games.

Hopefully. The 3DS shouldn't be the latest Nintendo handheld in three~ years. ^^

Pokemon GO will not effect the mainline games -- not to that extreme, anyways. They're two completely different things.

Came into work VERY excited that we have a stop right at the streetcorner, don't even need to walk away from the front counter/ kitchen to grab it.

Me and the manager on duty basically spent the full shift catching pokemon

DR2K

Banned
Me and every single sibling were walking around the house and neigborhood catching Pokemon. Even if this is a fad, it's a memory I'll cherish for the rest of my life.

Hoo-doo

Banned
it's kind of insane how it both solidifies their base while expanding its reach to people far outside it. Pokemon are cool.

crazy that there's a new Pokemon game and it's not on any Nintendo systems

Best believe Nintendo is paying very close attention to all this money flowing in.

They are sitting on goldmines of IP's that are completely hamstrung by being bound to their mediocre hardware. Maybe it's time to give up the hardware and just make games where people can play them.

Toxi

Banned
People keep tweeting screen shots of them in the stores for the client I work on. Lot's of rattata's as I'm scrolling by.
Pidgey and Rattata are a goddamn plague of biblical proportions.

Hopefully if they add more generations we'll see more variety in common Pokemon (Sentret, Zigzagoon, Bidoof, Starly) instead of the incessant Rattata and Pidgey.

Neoxon

Best believe Nintendo is paying very close attention to all this money flowing in.

They are sitting on goldmines of IP's that are completely hamstrung by being bound to their mediocre hardware. Maybe it's time to give up the hardware and just make games where people can play them.
It was only a matter of time until the "Nintendo should go third party" posts came flooding in.

On-topic, hopefully this game can maintain the hype with future updates. Though the lack of My Nintendo integration is surprising (& kinda shines a light on the disconnect between TPC & Nintendo, despite the latter being involved with this game).

Top Bottom