• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Camelot (who's more than a model) wants to make Donkey Kong 64 2!

This is from a Nintendo fansite (not Go Nintendo) where they commonly post scans so I'm not comfortable linking to the site:

Out of Nintendo’s entire stable of franchises, Hiroyuki Takahashi has said that he’d be most interested in working on Donkey Kong.

The Camelot president told Nintendo Gamer in its July issue that the series “would prove really interesting” since its “games are full of surprises.” He pointed to Donkey Kong 64 specifically in his response.

Speaking of Donkey Kong 64, Takahashi noted that he “would love to make a sequel to it.”

Perhaps this could happen… one day. Camelot does have a pretty close relationship with Nintendo, though the company has mostly stuck to Mario Tennis and Golden Sun titles in recent years.

DAMN I'd kill for this! The same folks who brought Diddy to the Mushroom Kingdom for the first time in Toadstool Tour, Camelot just feels right with DK! :D

PS: Is it fine to link to sites as long as it's not directly to scans?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Kamiya wants to make a StarFox game
Camelot wants to make a 3D Donkey Kong game
Retro should make a Zelda game

Nintendo, come on.

Ein Bear

Oh damn, I'd love this!

Actually, I'd love ANY old-style collectathon platformer, we've not had a proper one since the N64 days.

Penguin

Hmm interesting

Wonder if they could start a rotation like New Super Mario/3D Mario games.

Retro does the 2D Country style games, and Camelot does DK 64 style games I can ignore

I hated DK64 and I was extremely glad when Retro turned out to be making a 2d game instead of 3d one. On the other hand, Camelot hasn't really made anything great in a while, so might as well give them a chance at it.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Golden Kung I. One of the best Kung RPGs ever, also the first one.

Takao

Banned
Based on Camelot's past 2 games I'd thought fans would want to distance themselves from a seemingly increasingly mediocre studio.

Camelot wouldn't be my first thought when thinking of a 3D DK.

I'd like to see them try, though.

Nintendo knows how successful the DK brand has been in recent years, after the long early noughties lull. If Camelot's up to the task, Iwata should get them on it.

Could this be an indicator that the DK series is without a developer once again? I thought it may have found a home with Retro for more than one game. I'd love to see another Retro-developed 2D DK on the Wii U at some point.

Camelot wouldn't be my first thought when thinking of a 3D DK.

I'd like to see them try, though.

Nintendo knows how successful the DK brand has been in recent years, after the long early noughties lull. If Camelot's up to the task, Iwata should get them on it.

Could this be an indicator that the DK series is without a developer once again? I thought it may have found a home with Retro for more than one game.

Retro already said they aren't working on a DKC sequel. I imagine EAD 4 might give it a go on Wii U once they are done with both NSMB games.

hatchx

Banned
I really don't think Camelot has the man power or talent to put together a grand 3D Donkey Kong platformer/adventure.

Even DK64 took a huge amount of time to develop, and it didn't turn out so hot.

I kind of feel the Super Mario Galaxy team should return and re-invent Donkey Kong in 3D. They are apparently the only team to make a good 3D platformer in the last generation.

Nevermind that a sequel to DK64 2 (a game I utterly despise) is enough to tell me BAIL OUT, but based on the last two games released by Camelot, I feel say to go GTFO.

They'll manage to make a game worse than DK64, which will be the accomplishment.

Id be okay with this but more of a 3d donkey kong game not donkey kong 64 2. Hiding underneath a sea of bullshit and repetivity I think dk 64 was a solid game just bogged down by ocd developers.
Please be true.

We haven't got a 3D collectathon platformer this entire gen.
I never played epic mickey but I thought it kind of was.

The NSMB guys? No thanks. You know it'll end up looking and sounding like NSMB, and with Mii's.

Doubtful. The NSMB style isn't Nintendo trying to be spiteful or anything. It's intentionally set up that way as a throwback. EAD 4 is capable of beautiful art and worlds just look at Pikmin. I think they would make a fantastic DKC game.

JustinSane

Neo Member
Hmmmmmmm not a huge DK fan, but enjoyed the 2d ones. DK64 doesn't hold my attention that much really, a little boring.

It was nice that it came back to form in 2D on the wii. Challenging as fook but a damn fine game.

Various game series that are still around have changed drastically over the years, a lot have lost the core thing that made them fun. Always nice when a game series returns true to form. So another 3D DK wouldn't be good IMO.

hatchx

Banned
Please be true.

We haven't got a 3D collectathon platformer this entire gen.

It's funny how much hate the collectathon got.

Honestly, I have dreams of a new open world platformer. Exploration was one aspect sorely missed in Mario Galaxy.

It's funny how much hate the collectathon got.

Honestly, I have dreams of a new open world platformer. Exploration was one aspect sorely missed in Mario Galaxy.

Because collectathons inevitably have worse platforming due to their design. Galaxy 2's level design was so good because of how linear it was. Of course, both have their place and its a shame that the genre is dead.

Wiz

DK64 is literally the only N64 game I owned that I couldn't beat...that game was huge. I would like to see a sequel to it though.

but modern camelot is kinda dog shit.

mario tennis open. golden sun 3.

I guess them doing donkey kong (don't really give a damn about the 3d one) would delay their inevitable shit sequel for mario golf.

So yay good news!

Doubtful. The NSMB style isn't Nintendo trying to be spiteful or anything. It's intentionally set up that way as a throwback. EAD 4 is capable of beautiful art and worlds just look at Pikmin. I think they would make a fantastic DKC game.

EAD 4 do Pikmin? Hmm.

I know NSMB is meant to be a throwback style, and I do quite like the bold, simple aesthetic. It's just that I could never see this same team approaching DK from the same angle as Retro. I am certain they'd go way too zany with it.

But I guess you can never be sure. DKCR was quite a departure from Retro's usual style, and they pulled it off pefectly. But then, I do think a western studio is better positioned to grasp and aim to recreate the style of the DKC trilogy, because it was a product of western sensibilities.

Davey Cakes

I'm definitely behind the idea of a new "exploration and collection" based 3D platformer. The genre of 3D platformers in general is way too sparse these days.

DK64 was fine in its own way but I imagine Camelot could make it even better with some support. Also, get Kirkhope to score the game.

Lijik

Wouldn't mind this at all honestly. I think it was the minigames and a few janky bossfights that turned me off of the game more than the standard collecting. Using the Lanky glitch to get past B.Locker and just explore the levels was pretty fun

I never played epic mickey but I thought it kind of was.
Epic Mickey has the level design of a collectathon exploration game, but without the collecting. All of the plot trinkets you need you acquire in mini hub worlds by doing mini fetch quests. The only required collecting that happens in the main stages are there might be one item an NPC in a hub will want, and theres four parts of your animatronic friends you can find (but you can buy those parts if you missed them)
I guess theres also the badge hunting, but thats strictly optional.

Jett Rocket is a pretty fun collectathon platformer though, and thats only ten bucks or something on wiiware! What a good game.

Because collectathons inevitably have worse platforming due to their design. Galaxy 2's level design was so good because of how linear it was. Of course, both have their place and its a shame that the genre is dead.
I think it doesnt help that a bad collectathon is miserable to play. I dont mind playing kind of mediocre A-B 3d platformers of yesteryear like Jersey Devil, but I don't think I'll ever go back to the boring, empty, needlessly big worlds of Ty the Tasmanian Tiger.

Top Bottom