• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can a moderator ban me please?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
A lot of posts make a lot of suggestive notions and not all those are done with the best of intentions, with subtle jabs or straight-on insults. I think that's disappointing and, to bring out a popular rhetoric, ''Not a good look''.

If an bystander would simply look at the responses given, it kinda proves a point. Heck, if you just want to jump to conclusions as that bystander, than OP's short summary wouldn't be completely over the top.

Most account suicides are clearly done with an intent to piss people off. This one didn't do any of that, and its only fault, if you can call it that, is not doing this in a less public manner. Assuming good faith tells me he may not have known of this.

The thing with valid criticism is that on an average GAF day its not so much criticism as it is being lacking into presenting it in a constructive and uplifting manner.

That's the thing with this OP. Its wrong in the sense that its completely unnuanced, and its right because there is some merit to it.

Disclaimer: Not the voice of reason nor pretending to be. Just my 2 cents on this topic.

Enjoy the flipside, user.

Speaking of dumpster fires...

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Your words conveyed nothing other than your pissy mood about the forum lately. It's a big internet. Go find your happiness.
They conveyed an opinion and nothing more and have nothing to do with my mood. There is no reason to go after me that way on this thread making such assumptions.

Last edited:
A lot of posts make a lot of suggestive notions and not all those are done with the best of intentions, with subtle jabs or straight-on insults. I think that's disappointing and, to bring out a popular rhetoric, ''Not a good look''.

If an bystander would simply look at the responses given, it kinda proves a point. Heck, if you just want to jump to conclusions as that bystander, than OP's short summary wouldn't be completely over the top.

Most account suicides are clearly done with an intent to piss people off. This one didn't do any of that, and its only fault, if you can call it that, is not doing this in a less public manner. Assuming good faith tells me he may not have known of this.

Hmmm, what's your point with this, really? This "concern" and conveniently not pointing out who you are talking about? If you're doubting someone's intentions, then the best thing to do would be to clear things up. Otherwise you're just inferring what the other person's intending.
Only thing I've seen that's worthy of criticism is suggesting not granting the ban. But that might also be people being frustrated about the few people that make a grandstanding for a bit of attention.
This one did a jab, so I wouldn't expect that the people replying wouldn't jab back.

The thing with valid criticism is that on an average GAF day its not so much criticism as it is being lacking into presenting it in a constructive and uplifting manner.

That's the thing with this OP. Its wrong in the sense that its completely unnuanced, and its right because there is some merit to it.

Disclaimer: Not the voice of reason nor pretending to be. Just my 2 cents on this topic.

Enjoy the flipside, user.

In context your response here seems weird. He's referring to the OP, then you talk about something that at least implies to be unrelated that concerns lack of constructive and uplifting criticism. Is this referring to GAF as a whole? Are you using this thread, a not very constructive thread at all, as example? Very confusion, honestly.
How you can say that it's unnanced in one moment and say there is some merit to it also seems strange to me.
Is this a dumpster fire? Is there merits for that? I certainly wouldn't say so. Is it supposed to be describing things in a polarized manner? Then between angel and devil there is merits in either directions, making such nuance often pointless. Now, the OP has presented very little in regards to his/her opinion, so there's hardly anything to be brought from it other than saying: "GAF is bad". Saying there is merit to it doesn't either fall into constructive criticism nor does it present itself in an uplifting manner.
I think it would be better if you were clearer.

Redneckerz

Hmmm, what's your point with this, really? This "concern" and conveniently not pointing out who you are talking about? If you're doubting someone's intentions, then the best thing to do would be to clear things up. Otherwise you're just inferring what the other person's intending.
A general remark is just that, general. I think that, remembering the one user from a while ago who did a similar account suicide like this (But more polite), its worth asking what ticks them off. Every so often you see requested in the ban list, but we don't know the thought process behind it. I am not talking about those users who clearly have all the intention to polarize as much as they can through a few posts before they get axed. But these halfway-in-the-middle users are worth reflecting over. What drives them?

A few posts grab to the NPC narrative, but i do not believe that this is absolute. That polite account suicide made me think of this initially, but i gave it not much thought. Now with this user doing something similar (but less polite) it brought it back up again.

Disregarding obvious cases, what ticks these users, (and those users who simply request a ban) to leave GAF? Like i said i don't believe that they aer all NPC's but simply unwilling to share what drives them away from the site. That by itself can be valueable feedback that now gets missed, and that's (basically) the point i am making here.

In context your response here seems weird. He's referring to the OP, then you talk about something that at least implies to be unrelated that concerns lack of constructive and uplifting criticism. Is this referring to GAF as a whole? Are you using this thread, a not very constructive thread at all, as example? Very confusion, honestly.
The overarching point is this: Criticism could be given less destructive and more constructive, in general.

Thanks for your commentary, by the way.

EDIT: Altered this bit because i realize its quite preachy when its intent is not to be.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
A general remark is just that, general. I think that, remembering the one user from a while ago who did a similar account suicide like this (But more polite), its worth asking what ticks them off. Every so often you see requested in the ban list, but we don't know the thought process behind it. I am not talking about those users who clearly have all the intention to polarize as much as they can through a few posts before they get axed. But these halfway-in-the-middle users are worth reflecting over. What drives them?

A few posts grab to the NPC narrative, but i do not believe that this is absolute. That polite account suicide made me think of this initially, but i gave it not much thought. Now with this user doing something similar (but less polite) it brought it back up again.

Disregarding obvious cases, what ticks these users, (and those users who simply request a ban) to leave GAF? Like i said i don't believe that they aer all NPC's but simply unwilling to share what drives them away from the site. That by itself can be valueable feedback that now gets missed, and that's (basically) the point i am making here.

Quite the vivid imagination, Red.

y9lFQpX.png

Redneckerz

Quite the vivid imagination, Red.

y9lFQpX.png
I am not talking about that solely. My example is this one. This thread reminded me of it.

Checking out these users and users like these is in my eyes worth asking what ticks them into roaming away from here.

My point is about that. This thread just reminded me of the example i have linked now.

Last edited:
My parents realized that having a dumpster fire was preferable to having me.

Thank you.

Fixed.

PS: These kinds of threads are fucking dumb. Just stop posting instead. Fucking premadonna attention whores.

PPS: Calling people NPC's is stupid too. NPC's are non player characters in video games composed of polygons, pixes or voxels. People are made of stupid and and sometimes unknown interbreeding. Know the difference.
*The more you know star flying across the screen.gif*

Sorry. Had a bad night of work and it's flowing over into my much needed weekend. Ignore me.

Last edited:

It might be worth asking "what" ticks them off, as some have wondered about in this thread, but there is no communication and we've had a thread where we've discussed this type of behavior before in the aftermath of the exodus. We've been very adamant about not lambasting the general members who for various reasons left. However, there won't ever be a constructive discussion of these things without having those you refer to actually participate. And they don't and they won't.
While the NPC meme is overused and can easily lose its humorous point (which I've noticed), I can understand the sentiments behind it. Because there are a lot of people who've left, there are perhaps many who've politely sent a message to ban their account, there are some who've just made a thread "Ban me please", without snide remarks. So this isn't what I'd call a polite one, unless you're talking about in perspective of the worst. But the account suicide itself is pretty pointless. Nothing changed between before they did it and after they did it, other than "Banned" and not being able to use the functions of GAF, which they already didn't. The likelihood is that it's a statement of some sort. What that statement is can certainly be different. But we can't know as long as they do what they do.

If I were to make a guess, what ticks these users and even users here, is a part of their tribalism. "My tribe" "my absolute values" vs "your tribe" "your absolute values" and defection between tribes. The polarization that's come of or which started it, that's why one does displays like it. It's a display of antagonism, of rebellion or of contempt. Like when I went around with Bad Religion t-shirts in high school, knowing that it'd piss off the christians.

I understand his appeal to valid criticism, but its on a shoddy scale. The overarching point is this: Criticism could be given less destructive and more constructive. OP does neither, but the setback to OP is also not constructive. That by itself does not help, even if such a response is tempting to make.

But if the thread itself isn't constructive, why would you expect the responses to be constructive, when they have no basis to take hold in? There's no substance there for them to be constructive about, there's no person to respond, so they've been instead descriptive about this type of behavior and discussing what could be done about it and some have also lashed out at the drive-by remark they got.
In the end, a lot of this is caused by the bad blood between Era and Gaf, but on Era Gaf-users get banned and here they try to get banned. A lot of the times you'll have Gaf users that feel a sense of betrayal from its former members. That's an emotional display and perhaps not constructive, but just like there are threads where dialogue and being constructive is the focus, you also have those where jokes and emotions are the focus. Where heuristics take hold.

I think this thread is a bad example for you to bring this up in, because there is merits in talking about destructive criticism and debates, especially in Politics. But this doesn't at all feel like a valid example for it.
Thanks for clarifying, but I think you'd do better by making a topic about what you're actually talking about. It's an interesting thing to discuss and we've done it before in the off-site community thread or whatever it was, but obviously doesn't really fit in here in this context.

Kadayi

Banned
I am not talking about that solely. My example is this one. This thread reminded me of it.

Checking out these users and users like these is in my eyes worth asking what ticks them into roaming away from here.

My point is about that. This thread just reminded me of the example i have linked now.

The second link doesn't work. However, the OP hasn't posted over a year plus at this juncture. What exactly do you see being the gain to asking them why they want to be banned? They already expressed in their post their opinion of the forum. I don't imagine they're likely to proffer any astounding insights as to why dude.

Last edited:

Hudo

I wonder, what if the mods just say "No. You are here forever!". Will the guy (or girl) then feel obliged to actually continue to visit this forum? Lol.

Redneckerz

It might be worth asking "what" ticks them off, as some have wondered about in this thread, but there is no communication and we've had a thread where we've discussed this type of behavior before in the aftermath of the exodus. We've been very adamant about not lambasting the general members who for various reasons left. However, there won't ever be a constructive discussion of these things without having those you refer to actually participate. And they don't and they won't.
Can it be a possibility, hypothetically speaking, users may not speak up for a variety of reasons?

While the NPC meme is overused and can easily lose its humorous point (which I've noticed), I can understand the sentiments behind it. Because there are a lot of people who've left, there are perhaps many who've politely sent a message to ban their account, there are some who've just made a thread "Ban me please", without snide remarks. So this isn't what I'd call a polite one, unless you're talking about in perspective of the worst. But the account suicide itself is pretty pointless. Nothing changed between before they did it and after they did it, other than "Banned" and not being able to use the functions of GAF, which they already didn't. The likelihood is that it's a statement of some sort. What that statement is can certainly be different. But we can't know as long as they do what they do.
Precisely that. This one is less polite, but its far from turning into a Vulgar Troll and post impse.

In the end, a lot of this is caused by the bad blood between Era and Gaf, but on Era Gaf-users get banned and here they try to get banned. A lot of the times you'll have Gaf users that feel a sense of betrayal from its former members. That's an emotional display and perhaps not constructive, but just like there are threads where dialogue and being constructive is the focus, you also have those where jokes and emotions are the focus. Where heuristics take hold.
It speaks for GAF that at the very least the option of transparency is there. ERA does not even allow for that in the first place.

I think this thread is a bad example for you to bring this up in, because there is merits in talking about destructive criticism and debates, especially in Politics. But this doesn't at all feel like a valid example for it.
Thanks for clarifying, but I think you'd do better by making a topic about what you're actually talking about. It's an interesting thing to discuss and we've done it before in the off-site community thread or whatever it was, but obviously doesn't really fit in here in this context.
Yeah i rather have to go off the deep end i suppose and have it an actual thread, so i agree with your conclusion. Its something i observed and wanted to relay upon, and without the percieved pissy mood.

That by itself is an interesting by-effect though which could also fit well in a thread: The perception of things.

If you want we can advance this to PM or Discord Inferno. Thanks again for the points brought forward!
The second link doesn't work. However, the OP hasn't posted over a year plus at this juncture. What exactly do you see being the gain to asking them why they want to be banned? They already expressed it in their post. I don't imagine they're likely to proffer any astounding insights dude.
Not this poster no, but the Bye Bye GAF one and the folks on the banlist who simply request a ban, that kind of feedback is now missed.

This user is not the best of examples, but it was not an example in the first place. His text reminded me of the Bye Bye one which i have linked now. Hopefully that clears it up.

Redneckers it feels like you want Gaf to at least part-way become Resetera and you're not the only user conveying that message on this board.

Also that's not going to happen so give up. ;)

Mista

Banned
The OP's last message before this one was Oct 2017. He bailed to Resetera 18 months ago.
Then he can fuck off and stay there. Not like we’re losing anybody special or making this forum active. He’s either their lap dog there or he’s going to be banned over a stupid reason then join Gamefaqs because he got nowhere else to go.

Redneckers it feels like you want Gaf to at least part-way become Resetera and you're not the only user conveying that message on this board.

I think you're misunderstanding him there. While his general wording and the relevance in his writings have been confusing in this topic, he still very much is a middle of the road person who is very curious about how people tick and the social dynamics in groups. Redneckerz has written extensively about Resetera in an antropological documentary-style fashion, from what I remember.
He just wants a diverse and less heated debate environment, with likely less jumping on someone aggressively and more discussing and trying to find out the various viewpoints and how they vary.

My educated guess, at least.

Redneckerz

I think you're misunderstanding him there. While his general wording and the relevance in his writings have been confusing in this topic, he still very much is a middle of the road person who is very curious about how people tick and the social dynamics in groups. Redneckerz has written extensively about Resetera in an antropological documentary-style fashion, from what I remember.
He just wants a diverse and less heated debate environment, with likely less jumping on someone aggressively and more discussing and trying to find out the various viewpoints and how they vary.

My educated guess, at least.
Both a Thoughtful like and a Like like, this post. But can only pick one. Spot on.

To further point out Redneckerz's dedication to his craft, this is from the Off-Site Community thread:

The safe space and basically the policy that The Names and the Little Helpers try to build remind me of The Bridge of Death:

The Names in particular remind me of The Knights who say Ni:

(Actually, they are The Knights who say REEEE) ;)

He crafts a narrative like none other. He could make a book about his observations of the native Reseteran tribe.

Redneckerz

To further point out Redneckerz's dedication to his craft, this is from the Off-Site Community thread:

He crafts a narrative like none other. He could make a book about his observations of the native Reseteran tribe.
That was one side of the coin. Most of what ticks ERA has been commented now, mostly by others.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I notice these ban requests almost always come in 2s and 3s. With last posts almost always being from 2017. Almost like they are coordinated.

Curious.

That was one side of the coin. Most of what ticks ERA has been commented now, mostly by others.

Off topic: I just chimed into say that I love that you're representin floating head JD in your avatar. Scrubs was classic comedic television. EEEEEAAAAAAGLE!

Also Barnabot Barnabot NO. NO. BAD. DON'T EVEN JOKE ABOUT DOING THAT. BAD! BAD! "Me Sprays you with water bottle to get off the expensive leather lazy boy made from the finest cow leather*

I_D

They conveyed an opinion and nothing more and have nothing to do with my mood. There is no reason to go after me that way on this thread making such assumptions.

People are definitely going at you way too harshly. Who'd have thought that a comment as simple as something like, "Why do people want to leave?" would garner so many insults.
If I'm being empathetic, I can see why some people want to leave.

This site has definitely adopted some tendencies I can see people having a problem with. The constant "NPC" jokes. The constant "Honk honk" jokes. The constant posting of Youtube videos with absolutely zero commentary, as if the video completely surmises the OP's views (if your worldview is based on a Youtube video, please reconsider). The constant bickering about "The other site," Resetera, like some teenage dating drama. The constant "reeeee." It just gets old.

Sometimes this forum feels like Call of Duty 4 on Xbox Live, or 4chan, or something. The constant memes, random insults, trolling, etc. just feels.... juvenile.

A recent thread - whose name I've currently forgotten - indicated that most of the posters here are basically my age. Yet, I constantly see the high-school-esque mentality, where people automatically identify with political parties instead of realizing they're all complete shit and you should think for yourself, people are supremely-defensive and insulting about simple curiosity (as seen in the responses to this very OP), and a tiny handful of posters take up the majority of the conversation, typically with multitudes of insults thrown back-and-forth between the political parties.

I can absolutely see why people would want to distance themselves from the site.

I don't know if, statistically, I post less - now - than I did before, but it certainly feels that way. How the heck are you supposed to respond to a thread full of "honk honk?" Those things just become echo-chambers for a bunch of 'clowns' and trolls.
And, don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy trolling. Getting a rise out of somebody is a fun feeling. I've been doing it ever since my ding-dong-ditch days of yore.

But sometimes people actually want to have an actual conversation, and the thread gets torn apart when it could actually be a really productive discussion.

I would have just nuked the thread and left him unbanned. lol.

This is what I mean. The troll-esque posts get old. And I'm not even calling you out specifically, since I don't know you. I'm all for trolling a person who asks for a ban, but doesn't have the willpower to simply stop visiting the site. It's a fun game to deny a person what he asks for when that person could simply accomplish the goal himself. So don't think I'm calling out this post in particular. It's just a good example of the troll-mentality (which I like) and how it can lead to results that become annoying, rather than funny.

EDIT: To be clear, I don't want a ban. I love this site. I just get mildly annoyed by random meme-posts that add nothing to the discussion, and I can see how they may be the last-straw for some posters.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Ancient account with barely enough posts not to be a new member. It's just some alt account. The attention whores who do these drive bys are likely the same group of instigators over at Reeeee.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
if you don't like the memes or lighthearted trolling, feel free to ignore it

i know that's a bold suggestion in these honk times

the re jabs are warranted seeing how that asylum fractured from ours

Last edited:

Tehvenom

Why do you have to create threads like this when you want out?
You're either an attention whore who needs to announce their departure to anyone that will listen or someone that needs to be banned because they lack the self control to not visit a website that they don't even like in the first place.

Don't ban this bitch. Keep him around so that we can ridicule his attention whore behaviour when he inevitably can't control himself and posts again in the future.
This, the person just wanted to go put with a bang and actually wanted to tell us to put out his dumpster fire. Out with the old and in with the new sir.

Top Bottom