• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can anyone explain what went wrong and how to troubleshoot?

Jada_Li

Banned
My computer:

Win 10 Pro 64-Bit
16 GB RAM - Forza DDR4 2 x 8 GB 3200
Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.6 GHz
Zotac Gaming NVidia Geforce RTX 2070 8GB
1 TB NVMe SSD
1 TB HDD
ASRock Z390 Pro4

I had to return the PC the day after I got it because the fan went haywire for some odd reason when Windows decided to go into sleep mode, I woke it up and the fans just started spinning crazy fast and then just stopped working so I returned it and got a replacement PC. The replacement PC has a 650 W Gold Plus power supply instead of the 600 W but I'm not complaining just mentioning. This is a pre-built gaming desktop bought from Microcenter around 2019. It's a PowerSpec 353. Except I changed out the original 250 GB SSD for the 1 TB around the first few months I got the PC.

I don't know if any of that information is useful but thought I would share just in case.

=======

So the problem is after I went into The Sims 3 game files to change the Sim texture sizes from 2048 to 4096, my game played fine except now that every time I moved the camera far away enough or to switch to a Sim, I would get a low resolution model that hadn't loaded in the textures for around half a second to 10. It's not something common I experience unless I've been playing the game a long time. According to the tutorial I followed, if that happens then to raise the texture memory from 32 MB to 2048. I did that and no improvement. So I thought maybe try 4096 but that did nothing except make what I think was the GPU sound a like jet before the whole computer got restarted in a loop though it did eventually stop.

Step 4 is what I was following though looking at some other tutorials, I notice that it should read 4096, 4096, 512, 128 if changed, whereas I had it as 4096, 2048, 512, 128 if that is incorrect and problematic.

Step 7 is what I was following if Sims don't render well.

Screenshot-834.jpg

Then I tried playing TS3 but it just went into another restart loop and one time it froze the whole computer where I couldn't shut down properly. That was fixed, I think, after deleting a file in TS3 folder that supposedly gets replaced every time you start up the game. It was the device config text document. I also tried playing Plants vs Zombies and House Flipper and both also caused a restart loop. For those two games I was monitoring the real-time CPU/GPU stats and it doesn't seem to be temperature related. I also clean out the PC often enough where dust doesn't heavily collect.

House-Flipper.jpg

I tried out a stress test for the CPU and GPU but those test never started the restart loop but I'm not sure if that was just a fluke or not. I used Cinebench, Heaven and Valley. A day after those tests I tried playing Resident Evil 4 and it did not have a restart loop but the game was unusually lagging initially. But maybe that was because of the real-time hook to displaying the stats, I don't know. (Or it could of been when I went into NVidia Experience and for some odd reason sometimes my settings change and I wasn't aware of it.)Then I played House Flipper again for a bit and that also went well. However this issue isn't resolved as it comes and goes randomly. If I'm watching YouTube, restart but not a loop. If I start up my computer after shut down, No Signal but eventually, so far, will display.

I suspect this issue to get worse over time.

So does anyone know what I did wrong, if it is user error, what happened for the computer to behave that way, how do I figure out what is the issue and can it be fixed?

Jada_Li

Banned
I think I have the demo version of Hard Disk Sentinel so there's not a lot of features available but it does display SSD/HDD storage health. Though I have had the demo version since 2020 I think so not sure if that may affect the results.

Storage-Health.png

Sakura

I got bad performance and graphical issues etc that I first started really noticing when playing the newest judgement game.
I also always had fans going crazy when putting the computer to sleep.
Eventually I found out my computer was mining bitcoin for someone, and after I fixed that it worked fine.
Not sure if that's related to your issue or not though OP.

Jada_Li

Banned
I'm going to test out the power supply because I researched it may be that and if it is that then I have to buy a new one and wire the whole computer which is going to be a nuisance. But I would rather a dying PSU than a dying MB. But with power supply tester I can also check the CPU and GPU too to rule out any issues with those.

Top Bottom