• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can anyone read the ui text in The Witcher 3?

Social

The font size of pretty much everything but the subtitles is just an insult to couch gamers isn't it? There is just no way anyone can read that without squinting or sitting 50cm from their tv.

How are you guys dealing with this? It was horrible in the Witcher 2 as well but at least they somewhat improved it with patches and mods later on.

The subtitles are almost ok, all the rest is for ants.

Dice//

Banned
Honestly, this is an issue I've had with modern games which are waaay too keen on using small fonts for 'clean UIs'. Yeah it looks pretty, but my eyesight is garbage and I hate squinting.

SZips

I have the game for both the PS4 and PC.

As it stands, it's often difficult to read on the PS4 simply because I'm further away from my TV than I am from my monitor, even though the TV is larger. The text is fine a couple of feet away from my face on my monitor but yeah, it's still super tiny under normal circumstances for me.

I tried to play the game on my couch recently and it was a painful experience, the text was unreadable.

All it made me do was swap back to my desk, it's a shame.

Jedi2016

Subtitles are fine for me (or were, since I turned them off). The control text is a bit hard to read (bottom right), but I'll turn it off once I figure out the controls. The info text in the inventory and glossary is also a bit small. I was kind of hoping adjusting the UI scale would change that as well, but it doesn't. That's on a 60" TV at around nine or ten feet, with post-LASIK vision that my co-workers call "hawk eyes".. I can't imagine what folks with small TVs are going through.

Lasdrub

I'm having problems with this, too. I have a 65" tv and I sit about 10 feet away. There doesn't seem to be an option to turn up the size for now. That and story moments skipping at the start of each one have been bothering me. I can read everything but it's not comfortable.

statham

I'm playing it on a 47" 720p TV, the main text/conversation text is perfect, the smaller text under ingredients is small but still readable even with the missing pixels, I sit back about 8 feet.

Roto13

Honestly, this is an issue I've had with modern games which are waaay too keen on using small fonts for 'clean UIs'. Yeah it looks pretty, but my eyesight is garbage and I hate squinting.

So many games I've just stopped playing because they expected me to press my face against my TV to read their stupid menu text.

Yeah, I'm on a projector with 100" screen. It's a bit tough to read from my bed. Subtitles are fine, but good grief, forget about reading anything in the inventory. Too bad the UI rescaling doesn't work or if it does I wouldn't know because it defaulted to the largest when I first started and it's still pretty hard to read. I'd rather play on 1080p instead of 720p but I might have to bump it down if I want to actually start doing alchemy and managing my inventory... lousy overburdening.

tcrunch

Yeah, can't read anything besides subtitles and active quest without squinting/leaning forward/getting up and walking over to the TV.

Social

We should seriously start a movement for this issue. It's been too small in too many games and it seems like a certain standard should be created to tackle this issue. It should always be possible to scale text to our liking.

bargeparty

You're all sitting too far away, simple as that. Text is a little small, but if you were the proper distance from the TV it would be less of an issue.

I don't have too much of a problem but I do have a 55" tv and I sit about 7' away from it. I even reduced the size of the HUD icons etc.
But I get what you mean. There's a lot of space in the UI that isn't used.

Social

You're all sitting too far away, simple as that. Text is a little small, but if you were the proper distance from the TV it would be less of an issue.

I have a 50 inch tv and sit 130 cm from the tv and still can't read the item descriptions. Granted, my eyesight isn't the best but it's not an issue in games with normal sized text.

Top Bottom