• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can anyone read the ui text in The Witcher 3?

Denton

I sit 2.5 meters from my 55" plasma and have no issues reading anything on PC version. Had no issues with PC version of Witcher 2 either.

KaYotiX

Banned
I sit 5 feet away from my 72" TV so no problems here.

When I game on my 27" monitor I sit right in front of it also so text is fine.

Kalliban

Neo Member
I tried setting the UI Size to small and then it got too small for me to read, but on Large (or normal or whatever it is called), it's no issue. I'm on the X1 version though, doesn't the setting work on the PS4 or is the "large" setting just still too small?

Vintage

PC -> 48in tv and couch here, small ui, can read everything, although it sometimes gets hard in item descriptions and other parts of menu. I can really see it being a problem for people with worse sight.

I must admit that even when using my 50inch TV the ps4 text can be a real pain to read since I have to put extra effort since its so small. I also had my eyes tested a couple of weeks ago and have perfect vision so my eyes aren't the problem.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
I have the same problem. Had the same problem with the FFXIV ARR demo on ps4, but they included an option to change UI size in the final game. Here it's biggest by default and I still have problem reading item descriptions and other small details.

Man

Its disappointing that they fail in such a straight-forward task. The game is also a mixed bag technically.

Ushay

Glad someone brought this up. I play on a 55 inch TV about 7 feet away. The text is tiny, especially for ingredients.

I turned the HUD scale all the way up and it made a lot of the text a lot easier to read, but it's still a little small for things like the character skills page and ingredients/descriptions, but not as bad as the default setting.

This is probably my only complaint with the game haha!

vall03

I'm a few hours into the game and I think this is my only problem with the game. UI elements and the text are goddamn small. My eye sight is not that good and I think I'm very close in front of 32" tv and its really difficult to make out the text and some items. Really wish the bigger HUD affect the other UIs as well.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm having issues as well. It's not unreadable it's just a bit too small and uncomfortable for me but I'll also admit my sight isn't the greatest either. However it's the only game to give me this trouble since Witcher 2 funnily enough.

Already beaten to the punch, but the text size reminds me of playing the original dead rising on my tube tv back in the day...I really hope they can patch it somehow

have people not heard of eyeglasses or contacts? i'm as blind as you can get but i've had no issues with stuff like this.

Well in my case contacts or glasses do not fix my eye sight 100%, I just barely pass the test to drive a car legally with contacts/glasses on (I have a degenerative eye disease, had 4 surgeries to reduce the rate).

For me the game is fine since I'm playing it on PC and have the UI scale on large, but if this was on PS4 on TV it would be impossible for me to play.

Games have always had accessibility issues when it comes to sight including colour blindness.

Mrbob

The small UI text is awful. Wish developers would stop getting this wrong. Scalable UI text needs to be mandatory for all games. Love the game but this issue comes close to ruining the experience for me.

If you are playing on a TV UI scale to large isn't good enough for most of the UI text. Unless you are sitting really close or have amazing eyesight.

Mrbob

I have the UI set to small, and no problems reading it. And I don't even have good eyesight.

27" 1440p monitor.
I would wager this is because you sitting fairly close to your monitor. Game text isn't scaled for TV sitting where you can be 7 to 10 feet away from the screen.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The text is small but I like it that way. It feels less intrusive. It sounds like a lot of people are having issues, though, leading me to believe they should have allowed an even larger size for text.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
After reading how a lot of people were having problems in the OT I was a bit worried that I would have an issue with text size (I wear glasses for reading/using a computer/etc.) in saying that I don't have an issue with any text and have the HUD set to small.

I'm playing on a 40" LCD 1080p TV BTW.
The text is small but I like it that way. It feels less intrusive. It sounds like a lot of people are having issues, though, leading me to believe they should have allowed an even larger size for text.
I agree with this however, if people are having an issue there should be some sort of slider.

I feel my couch might be 6-8 feet from my 42 inch tv and i have to try hard to make out the items I'm looting. Definitely takes away from the experience in my case.

This is the only big issue I'm having with the game so far. It's readable, but some of the text, especially the text in loot boxes, is very hard to read, and I still sit kind of close to my TV and have very good vision in general.

Witcher 2 has an option that made all the text much larger. I never had any issues with text size in that game.

glaurung

Playing at 2560x1440, HUD set to small, I don't have a problem reading the text on my 27" display.

I don't see what the fuss is about.

Edit: oh, the console version. Interesting. I still haven't received my PS4 copy so I cannot comment on that.

lattich

Neo Member
And i thought it was just me... Playing the PS4 Version with a Beamer on 120" sitting ~6meters away it is very hard for me to see what items i am picking up. Definitely try the zoom later today, didn't know about this feature.

ctfg23

I never had a problem with GTA V's font size, but I sit pretty close to my TV. Is TW3 worse than that? I'm not getting my copy until Thursday.

Hanmik

I hate small text in games...
most of the time I lay in my bed and play my games. I use a 42" 1080p LCD TV, and I´m about 2,5 or 3 metres away from the screen.. The text on the mobile phone in GTA V is VERY hard to read..

8CwHrxp.jpg

ohhh and my vision sucks.. I´m 40 years old, and I have -6,5 on my right eye and -7,0 on my left eye. BUT I use contactlenses that makes me see stuff VERY good.

Nattan

50" tv and sitting ~2,2 meters away from it. Most of text is fine, but the loot description text is painfully small to read from my couch.

This is my only gripe with the game at this point.

The text looks fine to me
because I've been playing FF XIV on PS4 for the past week. All other games' HUDs and text look large and overwhelming now.

Unbelievable that after 10 years of HD gaming and small fonts, Devs still don't get it and making fonts sizes way too small.

The subtitles are small enough but item font descriptions are even smaller. I've actually had to take up sitting right up to the TV because my usually comfortable spot away and sitting back from the TV, I'm having difficulty reading anything and it's a strain.

It's actually hampering my enjoyment of the game. It's just ridiculous and uncalled for.

The irony....I bought my first hdtv just after buying dead rising 1 to save my eyes from SD death...fast forward to 2015 and I still have text issues at 1080p, the damm NPC text in FF XIV is so small...

Condom

Just bought some damn glasses to go with my lenses for this shit.

It's obvious devs are stubborn with this and I don't want to wear my lenses everyday.

Thanks modern gaming

aro52

Yup. It's annoying. I can read it, but I tend to not want to. Lots of in-game content is gonna go unread!

46" TV from roughly 8 feet away.

Surely it can't be any worse than playing HD games on a sub HD display, I remember back in 2006 playing my 360 on my CRT TV, could barely read a word in most UI's.

That and improved picture quality was the reasoning behind my first HDTV purchase.

Chris_C

The font size of pretty much everything but the subtitles is just an insult to couch gamers isn't it? There is just no way anyone can read that without squinting or sitting 50cm from their tv.

How are you guys dealing with this? It was horrible in the Witcher 2 as well but at least they somewhat improved it with patches and mods later on.

The subtitles are almost ok, all the rest is for ants.

CDPR did this with The Witcher 2 as well. It's a little ridiculous.

Bliddo

The font size of pretty much everything but the subtitles is just an insult to couch gamers isn't it? There is just no way anyone can read that without squinting or sitting 50cm from their tv.

How are you guys dealing with this? It was horrible in the Witcher 2 as well but at least they somewhat improved it with patches and mods later on.

The subtitles are almost ok, all the rest is for ants.

The size is small, but I can deal with it. What I loathe is the font used, it's beyond ugly, they probably found it in a 5.25" floppy laying around the office.

udllpn

This is a real problem with a lot of modern console games. Developers should consider offering an option to increase the text size.

Top Bottom