• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can cat food kill cats.

Methos#1975

We have feral cats around us that we have been feeding for years now and suddenly in the last week 8 of them die suddenly, they just went weak and started having spasms and were dead within hours. Only thing we can think of is that the food was contaminated so we changed it out and the others seem fine for now. We ruled out someone poisoning them, we have no neighbors and set up trail cameras and haven't caught anyone around us messing around.

Methos#1975

We had thought of some illness but the speed of which this occurred, some literally got Ill and were gone within a few hours made us consider that the food was tainted and since changing it there haven't been anymore fingers crossed. Just so strange. If they weren't feral we wouod of went to a vet to be sure. They also vomited up what they ate a lot before dying as well. If I wasn't 100% sure it wasn't poison it wouod of been my 1st guess.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
were gone within a few hours made us consider that the food was tainted and since changing it there haven't been anymore fingers crossed

Well, Google that cat food brand and see if there have been any recent cat deaths people might have linked to it. It would be hard as I guess most people only have one cat and not a colony so they might not associate that food with the death if it's the brand they have used for some time. Tainted cat food is within the realm of possibility.

Methos#1975

Well, Google that cat food brand and see if there have been any recent cat deaths people might have linked to it. It would be hard as I guess most people only have one cat and not a colony so they might not associate that food with the death if it's the brand they have used for some time. Tainted cat food is within the realm of possibility.
It was Iams and this seems to have been a issue with the brand before, and here I thought it a quality brand

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
nush
Tainted Pussy Expert

Cutty Flam

Banned
There was a guy who overdosed on caffeine that was in a scoop or two of his pre-workout some months ago. I believe he was very unlucky and had a scoop that was thousands and thousands of mg of caffeine. Maybe the batch had a concentrated ingredient in abundance that harmed the cats? Who knows maybe aluminum or something toxic got into the food... It seems like that or the feline panluekopenia is the cause, but in all likelihood I would suspect that it's the virus that killed them

if you've been feeding them cat food for years then no it wasn't the cat food. the only way it'd have been the food is if it got contaminated it but even then cats ain't fucking dumb. if they smell their food isn't right they won't touch it.

they are feral cats. probably just a virus going about.

Last edited:

NickFire

The description makes me suspect poisoning first, with the possibility of a virus. Could be food, or could be mistake / bad actor. Maybe one brought a rat or other animal into their den that had been poisoned and it spread.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had a couple feral cats and one of them developed bladder stones from the run of the mill dry cat food. I had to get her on a wet diet. Meaning far less carbs and a lot more water in her diet. She has a tumor now after 9-10 years. I could be wrong, but maybe it’s from their genetics or a disease? A litter could have multiple fathers and they could have had some underlining condition at birth. I do think the high carb diet is terrible for any animal. I think it caused her stones and she wasn’t drinking enough water with her food.

The litter I had had a kitten die and my family had no idea why she was in such poor health.

jason10mm

Gold Member
How many feral cats are you sustaining that EIGHT can die and you still have some left? Please get these monsters fixed.

Dark Star

I've known a few people (too many) that have fed the same cats nothing but canned food for 15+ years and they're still alive 🙀

I’ve been feeding my cat a mix of canned food and dry food like Purina and Friskies, and she’s about 15 years old too. Very old cat but she seems to fine otherwise. Eats, sleeps, poops normally I guess. Kind of underweight but the vet said she was OK for her age last year.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

Oh man, there are at times like 30 of them, there are a few that been here a while but there are lots that sorta of kinda of just come and go as people drop of pets and such which is really the issue in rural areas. People just drop of unwanted pets and sadly some of these areas have been the go to drop off spot for generations it seems. Many of them, at least the long time ones are fixed, the county has in the past rounded them up and fixed and vaccinated some of them, but they just return them which I think is about the dumbest thing ever.

Top Bottom