• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can GAF set the record straight regarding X1 vs WiiU sales, launch aligned, LTD, WW?

sphinx

the piano man
So I've been seeing posts about "consumers not wanting WiiU AND X1" and how the xbox 1 is a failure at retail. I personally believe that at least here in Germany, those two consoles must be battling for the lowest selling console in the last 10 years but I don't frequent PAL chart threads and I am not sure what info has been officially released to make a comparison.

Can Sales-Gaf provide some light regarding how these two consoles are fairing launch aligned, life to date on a worldwide basis so we can have a clear picture as of 15.05?

well-educated guesses and estimates are also welcome when presented as such.

Xbox 1 is very much alive.

Wii U is very much the opposite of that.

In NA and maybe UK. What about elsewhere?

Both Microsoft and Nintendo suck at supporting outside the main NA/EU/JP territories (neither Wii U nor Xbox One are available there) whereas Sony does a great job and release PS4 there before its own home country.

sphinx

the piano man
Xbox 1 is very much alive.

Wii U is very much the opposite of that.

X1 must still be released in many markets so there's a bit of advtange there in the race.

that being said, Europe and Asia are significatly more pro-nintendo than pro-xbox so I wonder what the outcome will be in 3 or 4 years from now.

Iirc

3.45 million WiiU shipped by FY 2013 so 0.35 million shipped between Jan and March
5 million XB1 shipped by FY 2014 so 1.1 million shipped between Jan and March

nelchaar

Pretty sure the X1 is doing really well and has healthy sales. It just looks bad in comparison to the behemoth that is the PS4.

The Wii U on the other hand.. It's tracking equal to (or below) the Gamecube (This is all from memory, from one of the many sales graphs posted on GAF, so take it with a grain of salt. Apologies if I am in the wrong).

I don't have any specific numbers, sorry.

Hoo-doo

Banned
In Germany, X1 sales must be fucking dire.

PAL charts had not a single X1 game in the top 50, while even Wii-U managed to chart with Tropical Freeze.
Titanfall didn't excite germany, that's for sure.

After two quarters Wii U shipped 3.5 million units and had been released in all major territories of the world the previous holiday season with no noteworthy sales potential left.The system only shipped around 160k for the following April-June quarter in 2013 and through all 4 of it's first 4 quarters only shipped slightly under 4 million units. So far XBO has shipped 5 million and sold over 4 million of those and has several dozen markets that it hasn't released in, and in addition through it's first 5 months still stands as the second best selling console of all time in the USA behind the PS4.. Their situations are in no way comparable.

XB1 is a machine with a future, so even if the sales are abysmal in EU, they'll be doing so for the next 4 to 6 years at least.

Wii U is probably not going to make it through 2015, so unless there is a sales miracle between Smash and MK8, it probably won't be doing anything of note anyway.

StuBurns

Banned
Any negativity around the performance of XBO is really not in the same context of Wii U at all, the XBO is successful, and will be viable all generation. The Wii U is dead and forgotten.

catmincer

Xbox one only looks bad because PS4 sales are crazy good. If you took that out it is actually doing very well. Wii U otoh, well.....

So I've been seeing posts about "consumers not wanting WiiU AND X1" and how the xbox 1 is a failure at retail. I personally believe that at least here in Germany, those two consoles must be battling for the lowest selling console in the last 10 years but I don't frequent PAL chart threads and I am not sure what info has been officially released to make a comparison.

Can Sales-Gaf provide some light regarding how these two consoles are fairing launch aligned, life to date on a worldwide basis so we can have a clear picture as of 15.05?

Paging Aquamarine!

I'm in an NPD mood today, so here are NPD sales (USA sales to consumers):

Xbox One

November 2013 - 909K
December 2013 - 908K
January 2014 - 141K
February 2014 - 258K
March 2014 - 311K

LTD: 2.53 million

Wii U

November 2012 - 425K
December 2012 - 463K
January 2013 - 57K
February 2013 - 66K
March 2013 - 68K

LTD (at that point): 1.08 million

LTD as of November 2013:

1) Wii U - 1.62 million (+0.48 million from PS4, +0.71 million from XBO)
2) PS4 - 1.14 million (+0.23 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 0.91 million

LTD as of December 2013:

1) Wii U - 2.10 million (+0.10 million from PS4, +0.28 million from XBO)
2) PS4 - 2.00 million (+0.18 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 1.82 million

LTD as of January 2014:

1) PS4 - 2.27 million (+0.12 million from Wii U, +0.31 million from XBO)
2) Wii U - 2.15 million (+0.19 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 1.96 million

LTD as of February 2014:

1) PS4 - 2.54 million (+0.31 million from Wii U, +0.32 million from XBO)
2) Wii U - 2.23 million (+0.01 million from XBO)
3) XBO - 2.22 million

LTD as of March 2014:

1) PS4 - 2.91 million (+0.38 million from XBO, +0.61 million from Wii U)
2) XBO - 2.53 million (+0.23 million from Wii U)
3) Wii U - 2.30 million

now in Germany, Xbox One is probably indeed pulling Wii U numbers, even the Wii U has more games in the weekly top 50 than it right now
worldwide, however, the Xbox One is blowing it out, mainly from US+UK sales (though Wii U might be able to stall Xbox One LTD from passing it for a month or two with Mario Kart 8)

sphinx

the piano man
XB1 is a machine with a future, so even if the sales are abysmal in EU, they'll be doing so for the next 4 to 6 years at least.

Wii U is probably not going to make it through 2015, so unless there is a sales miracle between Smash and MK8, it probably won't be doing anything of note anyway.

you know I don't argue against this but the future is built by Microsoft. All of their changes and moves are a sign that they care for their platform,

Nintendo put the WiiU in stores and proceeded to bury their heads in the sand.

Had nintendo done a couple of things like colors, revisions (new name), effective changes in their account system, more parternships for exclusives, etc, etc, etc, etc, then WiiU would still be viable. Sadly, that didn't happen so it's dead.

After two quarters Wii U shipped 3.5 million units and had been released in all major territories of the world the previous holiday season with no noteworthy sales potential left.The system only shipped around 160k for the following April-June quarter in 2013 and through all 4 of it's first 4 quarters only shipped slightly under 4 million units. So far XBO has shipped 5 million and sold over 4 million of those and has several dozen markets that it hasn't released in, and in addition through it's first 5 months still stands as the second best selling console of all time in the USA behind the PS4.. Their situations are in no way comparable.

Incorrect.

PS4 - 7 million
Wii - 5.84 million

PS2 is not there as it did not have a WW launch. So far its keeping up with 360 (which was supply constrained iirc).

Also we do not know the actual XB1 sales only that 5 million has been shipped. Its probably around 4-4.5 million sold.

Guevara

Xbox One had a great launch (Nov & Dec) but slowed dramatically in the new year.

While overall numbers are still good, it is that decline in January -> March that concerns me (and appears to concern Microsoft).

It's basically the same thing as the Nintendo DS vs PSP situation. The PSP always had the stigma that it was a massive market failure. It, in fact, sold a tremendous amount of units and was by far the best selling non-Nintendo handheld. The stigma was only there because the DS was an unprecedented success, but the gaming masses were convinced the PSP was a failure in absolute terms, not just relative ones.

Incorrect.

PS4 - 7 million
Wii - 5.84 million

PS2 is not there as it did not have a WW launch. So far its keeping up with 360 (which was supply constrained iirc).

Also we do not know the actual XB1 sales only that 5 million has been shipped. Its probably around 4-4.5 million sold.

You misread my numbers, nowhere in my post did I say that the XBO had already surpassed Wii U shipments worldwide. After 4 full quarters however, it had still shipped fewer than 4 million units total, which is less than Sales-Age has estimated sales of the XBO to be so far. So XBO is currently tracking higher than the Wii U was launched alligned, or even by giving the Wii U a 6 month head start.

And again, my statement about the XBO being the best selling console was specifically about the American market.

You misread my numbers, nowhere in my post did I say that the XBO had already surpassed Wii U shipments worldwide. After 4 full quarters however, it had still shipped fewer than 4 million units total, which is less than Sales-Age has estimated sales of the XBO to be so far. So XBO is currently tracking higher than the Wii U was launched alligned, or even by giving the Wii U a 6 month head start.

And again, my statement about the XBO being the best selling console was specifically about the American market.

Read my post it says Wii.

The Wii had sold 5.84 million unlike the XB1 which has simply shipped 5 million.

OP never said that he/she was just looking at US and why should one do that when theres a global market and we have global figures.

Let's look at it from another prospective

PS4 first Q1 = 3m+ units sold.
Wii first Q1 = 2.65m units shipped
PS3 first Q1 = 1.8m units shipped
X360 first Q1 = 1.7m units shipped
XB1 first Q1 = 1.2m units shipped.
WiU first Q1 = 0.39m units shipped.

XB1 did amazing numbers in holidays but its current performance is very worrying.

Here are the shipment figures. I know they're not sales to consumers, but quarter-to-quarter differentials do give an indication of retailer demand:

Wii U Shipments to Retailers:

1 month, 14 days - December 31st, 2012: 3.06 million
4 months, 14 days - March 31st, 2013: 3.45 million
7 months, 13 days - June 30th, 2013: 3.61 million
10 months, 13 days - September 30th, 2013: 3.91 million
1 year, 1 month, 14 days - December 31st, 2013: 5.86 million
1 year, 4 months, 14 days - March 31st, 2014: 6.17 million

Xbox One Shipments to Retailers:

Less than 24 hours - November 22nd, 2013: >1 million sold through
19 days - December 10th, 2013 - >2 million sold through
1 month, 10 days - December 31st, 2013: 3.9 million shipped (>3 million sold through)
4 months, 10 days - March 31st, 2014: 5.1 million shipped

Guevara

Xbox One Shipments to Retailers:

Less than 24 hours - November 22nd, 2013 at 4:30 PM: >1 million sold through
1 month, 10 days - December 31st, 2013: 3.9 million shipped (>3 million sold through)

Here's the problem, 1.2M shipped in 3 months. That's bad.

What are the current LTD of Xbox One and Wii U? I mean total, regardless of release date and release country?

Wii U:
1 year, 4 months, 14 days - March 31st, 2014: 6.17 million shipped

Xbox One:

Those are the latest LTD shipment figures we have. We'll get an update in July for shipments as of June 30th, 2014.

Read my post it says Wii.

The Wii had sold 5.84 million unlike the XB1 which has simply shipped 5 million.

OP never said that he/she was just looking at US and why should one do that when theres a global market and we have global figures.

The Wii did not sell 5.84 million units in the US in it's first 5 months. You are conflating worldwide shipment numbers for regional sales figures

As for why I put the number in, it was a supporting point for differentiating the XBO and Wii U, hence me saying "In addition to...", it was not meant to be the main point of my post for you to address. Reread my post, the main body of the text is about worldwide shipments with only a single line towards the end about the NPD numbers at the end.

NPD numbers are the most accurate sales numbers we get for direct sales to consumers hence they have every right to be discussed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm in an NPD mood today, so here are NPD sales (USA sales to consumers):

Xbox One

November 2013 - 909K
December 2013 - 908K
January 2014 - 141K
February 2014 - 258K
March 2014 - 311K

LTD: 2.53 million

Wii U

November 2012 - 425K
December 2012 - 463K
January 2013 - 57K
February 2013 - 66K
March 2013 - 68K

LTD (at that point): 1.08 million

Interesting. Although Xbox sales are pretty much more than double the WiiU, the percentage drop off after the first couple of months is similar - and yet only the wiiU is so dramatically represented as a disaster. I realise the absolute numbers for Xbox are still good, but such a precipitous drop should be hugely concerning for MS, especially if it continues past June

sphinx

the piano man
What are the current LTD of Xbox One and Wii U? I mean total, regardless of release date and release country?

I think this post says everything we know for now. That's the amount of X1s and WiiUs out there, in the wild, either waiting to be bought or already in the hands of consumers.

Wii U
1 year, 4 months, 14 days - March 31st, 2014: 6.17 million

Xbox One:
4 months, 10 days - March 31st, 2014:5.1 million shipped

now, if we could get a chart of the market tendencies and have a look at a "if things continue this way, then it will look like this..." chart, that would be awesome.

not sure that's possible since with the little info we have.

Kiote

It is my Understanding that the X1 has been tanking in Europe and only performing a little above average in NA. Kind of expected though when you consider only half+ of it's features work in Europe.

flozuki

Can someone explain to me how the xbox one seems to sell well according to some gaffers and MS still feels that it is necessary to reduce the price and remove everything that was "unique" about it? I don't know but it seems really fishy to me and somehow I had the impression that either the numbers are "wrong" or MS is really desillusional regarding their aims (when they maje profit and they have a good selling console there is no reason to react that way to catch up with record breaking ps4 sales).

Kiote

Can someone explain to me how the xbox one seems to sell well according to some gaffers and MS still feels that it is necessary to reduce the price and remove everything that was "unique" about it? I don't know but it seems really fishy to me and somehow I had the impression that either the numbers are "wrong" or MS is really desillusional regarding their aims (when they maje profit and they have a good selling console there is no reason to react that way to catch up with record breaking ps4 sales).

Some GAFers only consider North America to be a relevant market. Microsoft is very much concerned with the dismal sales in Europe.

My guess is that MS doesn't want to lose people to the PS4 because most people would probably only subscribe to one online service. They don't want to lose Xbox live subbers to PS+.

sphinx

the piano man

maybe it's the same like 3DS?

it was selling o.k to decent, but nowhere what nintendo wanted so they made pertinent changes.

Eusis

I think Microsoft's inclined to dominate if they can, and a lot of people can be the same way even if it's hardly necessary.

They might also want to pre-emptively stave off a drastic plummet once the early adopters get the system and PS4 starts to really gain traction. With those numbers I'm starting to see why people think XB1 could win NA anyway too, though I hope they have to pull more than just a price drop and kicking a peripheral out.

Let's look at it from another prospective

PS4 first Q1 = 3m+ units sold.
Wii first Q1 = 2.65m units shipped
PS3 first Q1 = 1.8m units shipped
X360 first Q1 = 1.7m units shipped
XB1 first Q1 = 1.2m units shipped.
WiU first Q1 = 0.39m units shipped.

XB1 did amazing numbers in holidays but its current performance is very worrying.
It's worth noting MS shipped a new SKU in that quarter as well. If they hadn't been "stocking up" on Titanfall bundles, they wouldn't have shipped as many units as they did; that wasn't 1.2M units of "restock." In fact, in their last earnings call, MS said the channels are overstuffed, and to expect lower-than-normal shipments for Q2 while they try to sell off some of the units currently gathering dust.

Jamix012

Launch aligned, the Xbox is trashing the Wii U and it will remain that way probably forever. Wii U is still ahead in LTD though and will probably be ahead until at least september, possibly longer.

sphinx

the piano man
Microsoft is very much concerned with the dismal sales in Europe.

the thing is, all we get here is the weekly japanese and the monthly NA figures so EU is more or less a non-event as far as sales figures on the internet are concerned.

We always learn about them when the companies have to reveal their fiscal year info to shareholders, I think.

but the quoted line has to be very true. sad that the situation isn't properly reflected on the internet because of the lack of figures.

I think most of the optimism about XBone's performance comes from the fact that they've only trailed Sony slightly in NPD, and people mistakenly assume results are similar outside the US.

However, I suspect that in a few hours we'll learn the only reason XBone sorta kept up in the US for a while was thanks to a substantial Titanfall bump which has since passed. I think there will be a lot less optimism once we have all of the Q2 NPD results.

BadWolf

Interesting. Although Xbox sales are pretty much more than double the WiiU, the percentage drop off after the first couple of months is similar - and yet only the wiiU is so dramatically represented as a disaster. I realise the absolute numbers for Xbox are still good, but such a precipitous drop should be hugely concerning for MS, especially if it continues past June

It clearly is considering the Titanfall bundles and now giving the option to buy X1 without Kinect.

All that's left is to undercut the PS4 on the price.

Jamix012

I think most of the optimism about XBone's performance comes from the fact that they've only trailed Sony slightly in NPD, and people mistakenly assume results are similar outside the US.

However, I suspect that in a few hours we'll learn the only reason XBone sorta kept up in the US for a while was thanks to a substantial Titanfall bump which has since passed. I think there will be a lot less optimism once we have all of the Q2 NPD results.

Not only this, I think it has a lot to do with how good the xbox launch numbers were. Obviously they were great, but I think it was fairly obvious that this generation in general would be more front loaded than the last one.

Top Bottom