• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can I get a whoa Bundy: Married with Children premiered 30 years ago today

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rdman

One of those few shows I could watch together with my brother and dad and we'd all have a great time.
There's a lot of great moments I completely forgot about until the links in here

Like this one. We had that episode taped and my brother replayed that scene a few times. Too funny
Ashes of the past for burgers of the future... I still use that line. :p

Shadybiz

Loved this show so much...seriously thinking about picking up that $25 collection.

I was also not allowed to watch this show as a kid. My mom didn't care if I watched it, but my dad was against it, so I would only watch it when he wasn't home. One day, I came home from doing whatever kids' stuff outside, and I caught him laughing like a hyena at one of the episodes (forget which one). He just said "Okay, I guess I'm okay with you watching this." Same damn thing happened with South Park, years later.

Ogodei

Loved this show. Every episode is great, even the Joey spin-off episode is pretty good.

I really want to buy a No Ma'am shirt but I know kids these days won't get the reference and think I'm being some sexist/mysoginst asshole

NO_MAAM_shirt_MED.jpg

I'm surprised (and rather relieved) that the Red Pill movement hasn't appropriated "No Ma'am." At least not in any of their garbage i've ever been exposed to.

I'm surprised (and rather relieved) that the Red Pill movement hasn't appropriated "No Ma'am." At least not in any of their garbage i've ever been exposed to.

What would you chalk that up to? And not just this, but many pop culture gems of our youth that we grew up on? Alot of us were regular listeners of Howard Stern and yet we didn't go full tilt for much of the alt-right bullshit I've come to observe from Opie and Jim Norton listeners.

DeaDPo0L84

Still one of my favorite shows till this day. Used to watch it with my mom and dad and get a lot of laughs out of it. Unfortunately in today's world this show wouldn't make it past the pilot before people were protesting and damning everyone involved.

gnomed

What would you chalk that up to? And not just this, but many pop culture gems of our youth that we grew up on? Alot of us were regular listeners of Howard Stern and yet we didn't go full tilt for much of the alt-right bullshit I've come to observe from Opie and Jim Norton listeners.

I can only theorize those folks were oppressed/repressed socially somehow. So parents, Please let your kids have a party.

Isn't there a spin-off in the works with Bud as the father?
Whoa bundy
We need another married with children show on tv
Will it cause a firestorm? Yeah but it needs to be done anyway, a show like that would do big numbers I think. I don't know how we went from unchartered waters back then to today were we say "those things won't fly" when they didn't fly back then either, but they did it regardless and that's part of the reason why it was loved. There was nothing else like it on network tv.

Definitely a show my parents watched but I wasn't allowed to watch but snuck it anyway, I would take my tiny 12" tv and run a extension cord to my bed and would watch it with the volume super low so my parents couldn't hear me watching it.

My brother eventually snitched me out but he changed his tune once in living color came in the air.

Still one of my favorite shows till this day. Used to watch it with my mom and dad and get a lot of laughs out of it. Unfortunately in today's world this show wouldn't make it past the pilot before people were protesting and damning everyone involved.

If my memory serves me right, I think quite a few people complained about the show's raunchiness back in the early 90s by sending in letters. I think I remember an interview a few years back where Ed O'Neill said those letters just made the writers take the jokes even further.

If my memory serves me right, I think quite a few people complained about the show's raunchiness back in the early 90s by sending in letters. I think I remember an interview a few years back where Ed O'Neill said those letters just made the writers take the jokes even further.

I wish shows were all like that.

Tripon

I wish shows were all like that.

That's actually one of the reasons why the show became successful. The protests made the show more well known to the general populace via all the news stories about the protests. Without it, few people would know about the show and the new network broadcast channel that FOX was trying to create.

----

Also, there was a spin off in the works about No Mamm and it's supporters cast staring Griff and other characters, but it didn't start because the network execs thought it was too edgy.

----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3bYXYTv4qk

This is one of my favorite clips, Reverend AL and the NO MA'AM church.

ESBL

I wore my "No Ma'am" shirt to the bar the other day, everyone kept buying me a drink saying "Another one for Bundy", least to say I did Al proud that night.

inner-G

Banned
I think its knowing the difference between laughing at a NO MA'AM joke on TV and wanting to literally start a local chapter in your garage.

A bit surprised at all the Peg love itt. Kelly may have single handedly induced puberty for me. I couldn't understand how someone could be that hot. Hell, I still can't.

san00ake

I don't know if it's just me or not I think that young Al Bundy looks a lot like Andrew Lincoln, the guy who plays Rick Grimes on the Walking Dead.

norm9

I'm watching the episode tonight where the Bundy get the Darcys mail by accident and go on the spousal game show starring Wink Dinkleman. So much torture. But the funniest gag for me is in the beginning where Peg fucks up the mail to mail chess game Steve has going with his foreign penpal, and not all the electrocution and being crushed by weight in the mattress jokes in the meat of the ep.

Eta- this gag

qb1HouG.jpg

gnomed

Also, there was a spin off in the works about No Mamm and it's supporters cast staring Griff and other characters, but it didn't start because the network execs thought it was too edgy.

I remember hearing rumours of that spinoff. I wonder how much more edgy that would have been than the show at the time. The only solace I can take would be that it probably would have lasted only one season.

Than again, I really loved the episodes with Al and his group of morons.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
This show is a weird artifact from when the cultural lines in the sand were so extremely different that they mean something different now. That said, as a kid Kelley was almost too much for my pre-pubescent brain to process. I'm happy she went on to be an awesome and respected actress. Makes it a little less gross in retrospect.

I remember hearing rumours of that spinoff. I wonder how much more edgy that would have been than the show at the time. The only solace I can take would be that it probably would have lasted only one season.

Than again, I really loved the episodes with Al and his group of morons.
I'm surprised they didn't try to backdoor pilot it, like they did with Matt LeBlanc. Those were among the worst episodes of the series.

norm9

The spinoff episode they DID try at the college radio station with matt leblanc (?) was horrible. Glad that was a one off.

I'm surprised they didn't try to backdoor pilot it, like they did with Matt LeBlanc. Those were among the worst episodes of the series.

Exactly what you said. Horrible episode.

The spinoff episode they DID try at the college radio station with matt leblanc (?) was horrible. Glad that was a one off.
That one was a different group. It included April, who was a one-off but was portrayed like Bud's long-time girlfriend. At least that one had Bud and Steve in it.

The single worst episode of the entire series, though, is that stupid country music one. I just can't stand that one at all.

UberTag

FYI, the Tracey Ullman Show also hit the airwaves alongside Married with Children on April 5th, 1987.

Two weeks later these guys started showing up via animated shorts as commercial break bumpers...

Good_Night_Simpsons.png

So yeah... another 30th anniversary is right around the corner.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Very sad to see so much support for this show.

Fat shaming
Misogyny
Frequent Jokes about suicide
Promoting the dumb blonde stereotype
Women are just objects
Feminist hate

So glad this show is off the air and we will never see garbage like this ever again

tenor.gif

WHOA BUNDYYY!

I love Married with Children and binge-watched dozens of my favourite episodes just a few months ago.

Among others, "Turning Japanese" still makes me laugh:

MV5BMjE5OTQ5NzEwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzAzODEyMjE@._V1_.jpg

Pat "Mr. Miyagi" Morita was hilarious in there! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom