• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can I Get Tips n Visual Novels?

Labadal

Hey. I'm in the hunt for a few Visual Novels to play. I like them to have some gameplay and not just reading (sounds ironic), but it's not a must. I do prefer them to be focused on the story and less on romance or "get all the girls" novels. As little creepiness as possible is a plus. I have a PS3/4/PSP/VITA/3DS/NSW/PC.

What I own:
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
2064: Read Only Memories
AI: The Somnium Files
Aviary Attorney
Booth
Danganronpa 1+2 (I like everything but the minigames in this series)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness
Roman Sands
Steins;Gate
Virtue's Last Reward + Zero Time Dilemma
World End Economica Trilogy

What I know I will get in the future:
The House in Fata Morgana

Games I want to know more about:
Utawarerumono series
Sakura Wars (PS4, if this is a VN)
All other games you have to suggest

Regarding Sakura Wars (PS4), the adventure portions are focused on increasing your standings with the various female characters, while the remainder of the game is generic action combat. Based on your stated criteria, already owned titles, and intended future purchases, Sakura Wars probably isn't a good fit.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
while Worldend Syndrome does have you go through routes with each of the girls before you get the true ending, I think you'll end up really liking it especially if you want a tinge of creepy, it's on PS4 & Switch

I'll likely recommend more once I ponder more over what you put in the OP but I just wanted to throw that one out there right away

edit: I should mention that my scary tolerance tops out around Scooby-Doo so I definitely can't really stand horror :p

Saya No Uta

while I know The Song of Saya is considered one of the greats, it's definitely gonna go rather past little creepy IMO from what I've seen/heard about it

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Haven't played a whole lot of them, but here's some recommendations of which i either played, am playing, or plan to play that aren't on your list:

VA-11 Hall A (as per my avatar)
Higurashi When They Cry
Umineko When They Cry
The Silver Case

Saya No Uta
He said no creepy stuff, but i'll double this anyway

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
Haven't played a whole lot of them, but here's some recommendations of which i either played, am playing, or plan to play that aren't on your list:

VA-11 Hall A (as per my avatar)
Higurashi When They Cry
Umineko When They Cry
The Silver Case

He said no creepy stuff, but i'll double this anyway

I'd say the OP should try out Higurashi before tackling Saya or Doki Doki to get an idea of how their tolerance level of horror in VNs really is

jaysius

Banned
Read some real novels on an eink screen or in print, they’ll be far better developed and you might even expand your horizons a little.

Try some Haruki Murakami.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I'd say the OP should try out Higurashi before tackling Saya or Doki Doki to get an idea of how their tolerance level of horror in VNs really is
I think Higurashi is higher on the terror scale.
Saya no Uta is worse in terms of upsetting/disgusting content, but its not really that scary.
DDLC has like one good horror moment and the rest is just creepypasta stuff (but its also free so theres that)

The Utawarerumono trilogy is one of my favorite VNs and games in general. The worldbuilding is fantastic, the gameplay is engaging, and the story is amazing. One of the best epics I've had the pleasure of experiencing.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Hey. I'm in the hunt for a few Visual Novels to play. I like them to have some gameplay and not just reading (sounds ironic), but it's not a must. I do prefer them to be focused on the story and less on romance or "get all the girls" novels. As little creepiness as possible is a plus. I have a PS3/4/PSP/VITA/3DS/NSW/PC.

What I own:
Aviary Attorney
Booth
Roman Sands
Steins;Gate

Utawarerumono series

Missing the best visual novel series of all time in that list I see. The Muv-Luv series is an absolute must. There's a bundle on Steam with a permanent 15% discount if you get all the games released in English so far.

Rillania

Gold Member
I have yet to play the Utawarerumono series (own all three, will get to sometime) so I can't comment on my own personal experiences with it, but the trilogy is pretty highly rated and regarded in the Visual Novel community. The story is pretty linear, so it doesn't have multiple romance routes. It's also one of the best known localized non-18+ VN RPGs out there.

You mentioned you're looking for stuff with as little creepiness as possible. You talking about horror/gore content, or ecchi / eroge stuff? If you're not talking about horror, the Corpse Party series is another pretty popular and well-rated non adult gameplay VN. I've only played the first one, but it was a pretty fun game with a totally good, engrossing horror story.

If you enjoyed Steins;Gate, there's also several other VNs set in the same universe. Steins;Gate 0 (sequel), Robotics;Notes, Chaos;Child, and others.

Labadal

I have yet to play the Utawarerumono series (own all three, will get to sometime) so I can't comment on my own personal experiences with it, but the trilogy is pretty highly rated and regarded in the Visual Novel community. The story is pretty linear, so it doesn't have multiple romance routes. It's also one of the best known localized non-18+ VN RPGs out there.

You mentioned you're looking for stuff with as little creepiness as possible. You talking about horror/gore content, or ecchi / eroge stuff? If you're not talking about horror, the Corpse Party series is another pretty popular and well-rated non adult gameplay VN. I've only played the first one, but it was a pretty fun game with a totally good, engrossing horror story.

If you enjoyed Steins;Gate, there's also several other VNs set in the same universe. Steins;Gate 0 (sequel), Robotics;Notes, Chaos;Child, and others.
The text in bold. Horror is completely fine for me.

Guilty_AI

Out of everything, i'd say at least VA-11 Hall A is a must to add on your playlist.
It has a little gameplay (basically serve drinks and manage your funds), great characters, excellent atmosphere, setting and soundtrack (exhibit A, exhibit B). It also isn't overly long.

Last edited:

Rillania

Gold Member
The text in bold. Horror is completely fine for me.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. Should help folks with their recommends to you.

I've seen a few posters have recommended Saya no Uta. While it's one of my all-time favorite VNs (it and Steins;Gate are 10/10s for me), it might not be your cup of tea based on your criteria. The Steam version cut out the 18+ content, but the story is pretty centered around the romance of the protag and Saya. For a lot of people, that aspect along with Saya's character design makes it a pretty big no-go for them. It's written by Gen Urobuchi, same guy who did Psycho-Pass.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Lol at skipping on Saya no Uta. If you don't wanna see dodgy stuff you can turn that shit off.

EDIT: There's also Muv Luv although it is edited on Steam and Vita I think. I still have to play all three of them myself. Not assed if the titty scenes are gone as long as the chomp scene is still intact.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
OK op... as a Veteran VN dude here it goes...

Muv-Luv & Muv-Luv alternative... and here's the hard part... try to go in as blind as possible, you mentioned to me you less want "get all the girls" so il have to at least make this clear... you will be sat there playing reaching endings and thinking I have conned you... keep playing... just do it. There is a reason it is rated higher than even Stiens:Gate these two games are infact the highest rated visual novels of all time... and I managed to go into them blind... they are now on steam but my advise is try to learn as little as possible, buy Muv-Luv don't even look at any screenshot of alternative until you are done with It as they kinda spoil the whole thing, good news is its not creepy either, and they truly are the greatest VN's of all time, no gameplay sadly.

However if its gameplay you want in your VN... then look no further than Baldr Sky... honestly probably the most fun visual novel "to play" however it does follow a "get the girl" to a point at least, but the story is strong enough to keep you invested, but its the gameplay that people tend to come back for.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

What I own:
Aviary Attorney
Booth
Roman Sands
Steins;Gate

Utawarerumono series
I can recommend 428 Shibuya Scramble. Not only the Best VN ever, is one of the Best games of all time.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

What I own:
Aviary Attorney
Booth
Roman Sands
Steins;Gate

Utawarerumono series
These are great. The others, not so much.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Lol at skipping on Saya no Uta. If you don't wanna see dodgy stuff you can turn that shit off.

GyMuubS.jpg

(edited cause Guilty_AI Guilty_AI requested it)

lol game is shit. Muv Luv is ok though. (chomp)

This one was ok OP.
(vita version is excellent)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This is surprisingly accurate, enough to require a spoiler tag i'd say...
Jones was saying it was worth a read. I disagree and presented my case. Also I've posted this before ehhh at least 3 times now here so WHOOPS!

do not read Saya or Volcanic Age

Guilty_AI

Jones was saying it was worth a read. I disagree and presented my case. Also I've posted this before ehhh at least 3 times now here so WHOOPS!

Dunno about Volcanic Age but i liked Saya, but thats just because i'm weird synthetic life form riddled with self-blame.
Its true most of the novel is just edgy stuff, but I'd argue it has enough over the top edginess to be interesting.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno about Volcanic Age but i liked Saya, but thats just because i'm weird synthetic life form riddled with self-blame.
Its true most of the novel is just edgy stuff, but I'd argue it has enough over the top edginess to be interesting.
:Eh, Meguca is the only thing I've enjoyed from Gen's work to date.

Guilty_AI

:Eh, Meguca is the only thing I've enjoyed from Gen's work to date.
Didn't like much of his stuff actually. Tried both madoka and psycho-pass and didn't like either.
I suppose i just liked Saya because it was short and weird enough to caught my attention.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

What about School Days and Shiny Days? 🧐

Saya no Uta is trash but for those 3 hours it is truly compelling. Good music too.

Thief1987

Finished Robotics;Notes Elite/DASH few days ago, can recommend them if you like Steins;Gate, they are not that good, but still worth it. There is little to no gameplay similar to S;G, only some choices for branching story.
Utawarerumono "mask of" duology is incredible, highly recommend it. Games also have very good SRPG part with not too deep but fun turn-based combat with realtime elements.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Muv Luv Alternative is still the highest ranked VN on vndb, and is on steam.

The catch is you have to play the mediocre prequel to have full enjoyment of the story.

Muv Luv Alternative is still the highest ranked VN on vndb, and is on steam.

The catch is you have to play the mediocre prequel to have full enjoyment of the story.

Extra serves as a filter. Only people that get past the lacrosse arc deserve to play Alternative.

MagnesG

Banned
Finish of all the other Ace Attorney games.

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Miles Edgeworth 2 (fan translation)
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
Great Ace Attorney (fan translation)
Great Ace Attorney 2 (ongoing translation)

OK op... as a Veteran VN dude here it goes...

Muv-Luv & Muv-Luv alternative... and here's the hard part... try to go in as blind as possible, you mentioned to me you less want "get all the girls" so il have to at least make this clear... you will be sat there playing reaching endings and thinking I have conned you... keep playing... just do it. There is a reason it is rated higher than even Stiens:Gate these two games are infact the highest rated visual novels of all time... and I managed to go into them blind... they are now on steam but my advise is try to learn as little as possible, buy Muv-Luv don't even look at any screenshot of alternative until you are done with It as they kinda spoil the whole thing, good news is its not creepy either, and they truly are the greatest VN's of all time, no gameplay sadly.
I just spent nearly $80 on two Vita games in the year 2021 so you better be right!!!!!

Top Bottom