• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can I learn how to read and understand Japanese within 5 years? (PSOne/PS2/PS Vita Japanese Importers, スレッドに入る!!!)

Ten_Fold

Not worth it for just gaming, but you could get a translator job if your good enough. I say 6 months to a year and you should be solid enough. Really just depends on how many hours you put in. Some people probably can learn it well enough in a pretty short time.

Depends on your memory, coupled with engagement. You have to memorize words and the writing system. No way around that. The rest is usually quite easy. Took me 8 months to pick up conversational and written English, but that's in an English speaking environment. My memory was and still is utter trash. Also helps if you are already multilingual. I knew 3 languages before learning English.

In 5 years you can learn any language, even that clicking shit the bushmen use.

Last edited:
Speaking japanese will take you 6 months if you're in Japan. Shure, it won't be great but ok for everyday life. Reading is at least 3 years. You can add 2 extra years to read the newspapers.

While you're learning how to speack, listen to some jpop and watch movies and be shure to rote learning some of them. It will really help you.

Mr White

Here are some tips:
1. Learn katakana and hiragana. With Tofugu guide you will learn them in 1-2 days max
2. Start to learn Kanji. Use mnemonics and you will learn them in no time. My personal recommendation is Wanikani
If you do not want to spend money, Kanjidamage is a free alternative (you will probably like the jokes)
3. Skip Duolingo and textbooks, they will mess your understanding of basic grammar. Instead watch these video series

4. Install Yomichan, Anki and start to watch anime with japanese subs
5. I also recommend listening to Pimsleur Japanese course
6. Here is a big list of resources

Good luck

lock2k

Banned
I'm interested in learning Japanese too.

I did learn English and Spanish by myself and I'm a translator. Picking up languages is really easy to me. However, the whole Kanji thing turns me off because I never had to learn an entire new alphabet + language before. But I think it's possible to learn it if you really want to achieve it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm interested in learning Japanese too.

I did learn English and Spanish by myself and I'm a translator. Picking up languages is really easy to me. However, the whole Kanji thing turns me off because I never had to learn an entire new alphabet + language before. But I think it's possible to learn it if you really want to achieve it.

Learning Kanji is really not that bad. It's different of course to the Roman alphabet, but at the same time, there's no concept of "spelling" in Japanese for the most part, so it's kind of a trade off in terms of memorization difficulty in my opinion.

lock2k

Banned
Learning Kanji is really not that bad. It's different of course to the Roman alphabet, but at the same time, there's no concept of "spelling" in Japanese for the most part, so it's kind of a trade off in terms of memorization difficulty in my opinion.

That's cool to know. Thanks!

I will visit all the websites people posted above because I really feel like learning a fourth language. It's so much fun!

JohannCK

I went from JLPT4 to 1 in four years and ended up at a level high enough to be able to go to and graduate from college in Japan (as in an actual four year course with the same classes as Japanese students, not one of those language exchanges or whatever where classes are in English), graduation thesis and all. Five years is certainly not an unrealistic timeframe. On the other hand I've seen people "study" Japanese for ten years or more and still not be able to handle primary school level conversations. It's really entirely up to the learner.

I would however advise people who want to actually learn the language (as opposed to just say that they're learning it; it seems that there's a lot of such people) to take actual classes at a language school with native teachers, instead of going through the countless bad online services and CDs and books and "kanji decks" and whatnot. Those might work as supplementary material at best. I won't go as far as to say that it's impossible to learn a language from that stuff, but it's probably far more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited:

Old Retro

I was way into the Japanese anime/gaming/manga scene in the early-mid 90s. I bought a set of cassettes packaged with a few dictionaries. I didn't learn jack shit. Well maybe a little. I also bought every anime soundtrack CD I could get my hands on, including some gems from Bubblegun Crisis and Macross.

Never been to Japan, but I would still loooove to go.

mango drank

Anyone know why the old Japanese-learning thread was shuttered? Any way to get it back?

Otherwise I'll gunk up this thread. On my Corona stay-cation, I've picked up learning Japanese again, after a couple years off. Along with going through Duolingo, I've been doing number drills. Any other beginners find they have a really hard time parsing numbers they hear? I'm getting like 3-second ID times on the site below, doing basic numbers up to 千, no counter suffixes yet (although I know a couple). Did any of you more advanced people have a hard time with numbers early on? Here's the thing I'm using:

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

^おはよう ネオガフ  

good luck! our language is less convoluted than 英語 (えいご)which was a living hell for me growing up with one native English parent (父) and one Japanese (母)。

Kokoloko85

Yes check Japanese MIA with Matt it uses Ajatt but with a structure .

My friend learn fluently with Ajatt but Mia makes sense and has a roadmap etc

Last edited:

mango drank

I created a new Learning Japanese OT in the Communities section, for whoever wants to move this enterprise over there and have a place to shoot the shit and ask questions:

Valonquar

Back in the late 90's, my friend and I learned a decent amount of Japanese between 2 college courses, and a lot of JP gaming. Tons of Japanese PS1/PS2/Saturn games all had menus that were pretty much in English... as Katakana. Made it through many an RPG with a Kanji dictionary close at hand.

We did have a hell of a time powering through one of the Breath of Fire games, where a near endgame dungeon had a statue that said something, then kept throwing us down a pit towards the start of the dungeon over, and over, and over, before we finally figured out the translated text the statue was saying was "Patience is a virtue." The path opened while we were standing there translating the text and we flipped the fuck out.

I think the story we made up for FFVII & FFT was better when we didn't fully understand the text.

Brave Fencer Musashiden was pretty painful to get through some of the quests without 30 min pauses to translate, but I really enjoyed the "game" of puzzling out translations.

Back in the late 90's, my friend and I learned a decent amount of Japanese between 2 college courses, and a lot of JP gaming. Tons of Japanese PS1/PS2/Saturn games all had menus that were pretty much in English... as Katakana. Made it through many an RPG with a Kanji dictionary close at hand.

We did have a hell of a time powering through one of the Breath of Fire games, where a near endgame dungeon had a statue that said something, then kept throwing us down a pit towards the start of the dungeon over, and over, and over, before we finally figured out the translated text the statue was saying was "Patience is a virtue." The path opened while we were standing there translating the text and we flipped the fuck out.

I think the story we made up for FFVII & FFT was better when we didn't fully understand the text.

Brave Fencer Musashiden was pretty painful to get through some of the quests without 30 min pauses to translate, but I really enjoyed the "game" of puzzling out translations.
This is what I want to experience, to be honest!

Top Bottom