• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can open world games work without quest markers?

martino

Better : give us tools to put them ourselves and keep track of things ourselves too.

Last edited:

Moonjt9

Breath of the Wild with pro HUD was a revelatory gaming experience in an age of handholding and waypoints and quest markers everywhere.

I think that should be default, and the quest markers and waypoints should all be options to enable them.

You'd have a much better game without them. Most people would hate that though as they would feel lost and frustrated without them. The post above about google maps is interesting; can the average person even read a traditional map anymore?

That's how older RPGs worked. And even for dungeon based games, the old ass ones had no auto map. It was called memorization or graph paper.

Not sure which game started off quest markers and compass arrows. Was it Bethesda?
I think maybe WoW normalized quest markers with mindless fetch quests most people didn't even bother reading any text for. Just A to B in as efficient and quick a manner as possible.

I think maybe WoW normalized quest markers with mindless fetch quests most people didn't even bother reading any text for. Just A to B in as efficient and quick a manner as possible.
Not many people remember this, but WoW didn't have quest markers at launch. You basically had to rely on unofficial addons or third party sites like Thottbot back then. I don't think they added them until the second addon in late 2008, and by then they were already in games like Oblivion, Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 2.

Sygma

I mean Morrowind was a thing and still is an unmatched standard ? Breath of the wild also made it so you'd orientate yourself toward quest objectives solely by looking at the terrain geometry ?

Top Bottom