• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can some fans of the game talk up Dragon Age Inquisition for me?

Tschumi

Dragon Age Inquisition. Got a fair bit going for it. Graphics, some expansions which apparently convert it into an altogether better and more complete title, bit of backstory, many hours of gameplay, etc.

But I'm having trouble really getting my teeth into it.

First of all, love the artwork, reminds me of my favourite graphic author OAT. And some of the zones are pretty legit gorgeous.

I find the combat a bit distant and weird - holding a button for auto attack? - and after pseudo-contemporary The Witcher 3 a lot of the characters lack authenticity, but I've only played a bit of this game.

Anyway I'm not here to list everything wrong with it - I'm really just looking for fans of the game to tell me what about it really grabbed them - sans spoilers, hopefully - so i can get a buzz going that'll let me put in the required hours happily.

Looking forward to your thoughts :)
For anyone who is going to come here and say "why should i help you?" or some troll'y crap: can confirm that this thread isn't for you - move along

Garnox

One of the biggest draws for me was importing my choices from DA:O and DA2.

So it was cool to see the impact of my choices in DA:I.

Not sure if that's what your current playthrough entails.

Outside of that, I felt the game did good expanding upon the lore and the other nations.

All told, I quite enjoyed DA:I and with the Trespasser DLC, has a good final conclusion.

The biggest complaint I had, I can't share, as it might fringe on spoiler.

Tschumi

One of the biggest draws for me was importing my choices from DA:O and DA2.

So it was cool to see the impact of my choices in DA:I.

Not sure if that's what your current playthrough entails.

Outside of that, I felt the game did good expanding upon the lore and the other nations.

All told, I quite enjoyed DA:I and with the Trespasser DLC, has a good final conclusion.

The biggest complaint I had, I can't share, as it might fringe on spoiler.
Thanks so much.. yeah sadly i never got around to completing da:eek: and i was warned off da:2 too assertively, so i guess that would be a problem.

I can understand how good it would be, i got something similar in Pillars of Eternity

poodaddy

To be honest, I really disliked the game. I'm not trying to troll at all, just stating my opinion. I finished it though, so I guess there's that going for it. I suppose I really thought it was going to get good or something, or perhaps I just really wanted to see what happened with Morrigan. In that way, it actually didn't disappoint, as I did get to find that out, but the actual game was just not that fun.

Loved Origins by the way.

Andodalf

Banned
If you didn’t like Origins DA:I probably isn’t for you. I loved DA:I but it’s a bit of a slog tif you’re a completionist, and it has the common rpg problem of non party members feeling flat. The DLC is pretty great though.

I’d give DA:I another shot. They’re all on Gamepass/EA access so it’s not a big risk

Palantir

Banned
I LOVED Origins, truly one of my favorite games up to that point. Inquisition was such a letdown. It stripped away everything good about Origins to boring checklist quests, and full-on Woke garbage characters (getting lectured by a party member for using wrong pronouns for a trans character, etc). Game is truly a joke.
Played Witcher 3 around the same time though so that probably contributed to my hatred of Inquisition.

Lanrutcon

I finally got "into" Inquisition, then realised you can get the most powerful gear in the game waaaaay before running through most of the game's content. Once I'd gone and kitted my dudes out into unstoppable death machines I lost my drive to continue. Also, someone spoiled the DLC twist for me and boy is it stupid.

I think the game's mediocrity is probably its worst sin. Origins was the best the series will ever be, I'm afraid.

Chukhopops

It's mostly a single player MMO, the fun part was exploring the areas, doing the questlines, crafting and leveling up. I barely even remember the story but I played it back on release. What I remember is watching the credits and thinking well, that was really the definition of average.

I tried playing the DLC a few years later but the game has aged horribly, it’s very difficult to return to.

GymWolf

Tried the game enough to check if the real time combat was trash (spoiler, it was) then never touched again.

DA:I is a product of it's time to be honest.

I loved the game when it first came out.

But trying to go back to it on the PC earlier this year was rough for me. It felt janky for some reason even at maxed out settings.

That, or maybe that game is just shite' when trying to play on a pc and keyboard.

Either way, don't feel to discouraged if you cant come to like it.

There's a lot to like if you can push past it, mostly in the characters in your party and their side quests, the world they build and some of the revelations in the story was really good as well.

I have very fond memories of the game in my first playthrough, but whether you may find the same fond memories in 2021 is inherently subjective.

Duchess

I wasn't a fan of the game, at all.

But can I say, if you're after a game like Dragonage, give Greedfall a look. I really enjoyed it.

DAI isn't as good as DAO. It released at the right time, though, since the first year of the PS4/Xbone's lifecycle was pretty barren so it was able to win plenty of game of the year awards in spite of being pretty middling.

I'd advise just focusing on the main quest, most of the sidequests are pointless filler. If it still doesn't hook you after a couple quests just set it aside, it's really not a masterpiece.

Last edited:
Hmm, the story had its moments, I actually liked the combat, the crafting was kinda fun, and some of your companions were cool (some were super irritating), and the graphics were pretty nice at the time. The game can be a lot of fun, imo. Sadly, the negatives you hear from people are almost all true (unsubtle woke characters to the mmo-style mechanics). Your mileage will definitely vary, but there is fun to be had. It's pretty long game if I remember correctly, so be prepared.

Daymos

The game does a bad job of explaining why each area exists. Try to read up on the lore of each and then explore..

I dunno.. I really like dragon age origins and I spent 100 hours wandering around doing side quests in da inquisition but only got halfway through the story.

At least it's better than 2, 2 should of been a spin off .

Top Bottom