• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we agree on the correct usage of the Citizen Kane "clapping" gif please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, this one:
9df.gif

It seems that often on NeoGAF people will post it as if they were sincerely clapping for the post they quoted. I long suspected that this was the incorrect usage of this gif, but as it had been a while since I had actually seen Citizen Kane, I actually thought it was incorrect in the wrong direction. I used to interpret it as a begrudging clap, as in, "I don't normally like to clap for you, but your post was just so good that I find myself forced to clap for you despite my dislike for you. Touché, you bastard." However, I recently was reading a film theory textbook that had some analysis of Citizen Kane in it, and that reminded me that my previous interpretation was actually the exact opposite of the correct context for the scene. As some background, leading up to this scene, Kane had been trying to build up his mistress-turned-second-wife, Susan, as an opera star to make her look like more than just some fling he had. In this scene, Susan had just given a "bad" (by the standards of the time) opera performance, and Kane realized that it was bad, but was still forcing himself to clap for it to show support for his creation. So really, the correct usage of the gif would then be to have it mean, "Your post was really bad, but you are my protégé, and so I must clap for you to build the impression that your post was actually good, because my mental well-being depends on your posting success." However, I rarely ever see anyone use it in this third way. I realize that that exact context is kind of rare, but could people at least be aware of it before just using the gif willy-nilly? Unless someone else has a better interpretation...

(and I fully expect to see someone try to use the gif self-referentially in this thread at least once... they will most likely be doing it wrong though)

Either we already had a thread on this once, or the subject was brought up in a thread. Also people seemed to not be able to agree, whether he was blinded by love or whether he knew it was bad.

It is a gif of a clapping guy, people use it as a guy that is clapping. The context in the movie does not matter.

EDIT: Well, not blinded by love. But blinded because of his personal involvement makes more sense. Has been a while since I've seen the movie.

Reuenthal

Banned
It's a clapping gif, correct usage varies and has little to do with a person's understanding of the meaning of the clapping in the film.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The intention doesn't matter. It's a man clapping, and you use it when you want to evoke the thought of a man clapping.

Either we already had a thread on this once, or the subject was brought up in a thread. Also people seemed to not be able to agree, whether he was blinded by love or whether he knew it was bad.

It is a gif of a clapping guy, people use it as a guy that is clapping. The context in the movie does not matter.

Yeah, there has been a thread on this. It was in that thread that I first learned the context.

StuBurns

Banned
Kane isn't clapping to show support, he's clapping because he's an egomaniac who can't accept that his girlfriend doesn't have the talent he'd hoped. He was unable to accept his defeat, showing a decline in his objectivity following the end of his political career.

And it's a gif of a dude clapping, who gives a fuck?

VegiHam

I mean, it isn't just a gif of a man clapping. It's a man clapping with an intense, off-putting expression. I find it odd how people use the gif and ignore how pissed off the dude looks.

So I kinda get the OPs point here.

Now we have to use gifts correctly?

Herewego.gif
gifs, like words, have meanings. If you would like other people to understand your meaning behind posting your gif, it would be helpful if your meaning for the gif aligned with the meaning that your interlocutors also assign to it. Otherwise we're just talking past each other or otherwise misunderstanding one another.

Another .gif that bugs me, is the one with the guy who is trying to say something and then probably thinks it over or something, and cheekpalms (sic) himself.

I don't know the film it's from, so I don't know if this is the correct context, or if he just realises there's no point in disagreeing with what the other party considers a given.

The context doesn't matter since a lot of people haven't seen the movie. What does matter is that his expression is usually interpreted as "That shit is so damn good!"

Limiting gifs to just their contexts from the shows they're pulled from would really put a hamper on everything.

Riposte

I wanted to make a thread about what gifs precisely mean to you...

In the case of the OP, I don't believe the original context matters much.

Yrael

I have always loved this gif. The original context doesn't matter to me - what sells it is the fierce, vehement expression on his face as he claps. It comes across as someone fervently applauding a post as though at that moment, it's the most important thing in the entire world.

I mean, it isn't just a gif of a man clapping. It's a man clapping with an intense, off-putting expression. I find it odd how people use the gif and ignore how pissed off the dude looks.

So I kinda get the OPs point here.

Well, in the movie that isn't too weird as he isn't exactly the most cheery type. It is an intense look though, but you don't have to see it as off-putting.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I never watched this movie. I've heard, however, the famous phrase
"it was his sled"
(spoiled just in case). I have no idea what it means in context.

Randam

Yeah, the context in the movie doesn't matter.

For me it is kind like, that post was so awesome I am almost not able to clap, but I force myself to do it anyway, because the post just deserves it.

And I bet, there are a couple of more gifa not used in the "right" context.

Another .gif that bugs me, is the one with the guy who is trying to say something and then probably thinks it over or something, and cheekpalms (sic) himself.

I don't know the film it's from, so I don't know if this is the correct context, or if he just realises there's no point in disagreeing with what the other party considers a given.

nevermind_nathan_fillion.gif

This one? It is from the show Firefly. But I do think it was something where there is no point of going against it. I am not sure what you think that others mean.

Kane isn't clapping to show support, he's clapping because he's an egomaniac who can't accept that his girlfriend doesn't have the talent he'd hoped. He was unable to accept his defeat, showing a decline in his objectivity following the end of his political career.
Hm, this may be a better interpretation, although it limits the usage possibilities of the gif even further though, unless you just throw up your hands and say:
And it's a gif of a dude clapping, who gives a fuck?
At which point... actually nvm.

O.P., get off the Internet and get some sleep.
I only just woke up, and the first thing that greeted me on the Internet today was someone misusing this gif. This thread was just something to do while I eat breakfast...

The context doesn't matter since a lot of people haven't seen the movie. What does matter is that his expression is usually interpreted as "That shit is so damn good!"

Limiting gifs to just their contexts from the shows they're pulled from would really put a hamper on everything.
But if you do know what the context of the GIF is, their post sometimes ironically turns into the exact opposite of what they meant. That's what bugs people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom