• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we ban the word "waifu" from NeoGAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all seriousness, I hate seeing that word... if you want to call it that. It's seemingly impossible to post a picture of any attractive female without people immediately sexualizing/objectifying her. Even when used sarcastically, it sets an uncomfortable tone. Hell, a thread about Jamie Lee Curtis was recently derailed because certain people here couldn't keep their fantasies to themselves. Realistically, I don't think it's possible to enforce a ban of this caliber, but it sure would be nice if people removed that word from their vocabulary.

injurai

Banned

image.php

What does "waifu" have to do with objectifying women in a forum context? One is used exclusively in anime discussions as a joke and the other is an actual problem that hurts discussion.

Deitus

I don't understand how banning a word would magically make people stop acting sexist.

People making sexual comments about attractive females has nothing to do with a word.

Flo_Evans

I thought waifu was engrish for "wife" ?

How is saying you want to marry someone have anything to do with sexualizing beautiful women?

Sephzilla

So wait, because people cant keep their sexual fantasies to themselves you want to ban a word? Okay... good luck with that one. I'm sure that will totally fix the problem.

I don't think that word is the problem... especially when I usually just see it being used for anime girls.

The objectifying of women does get old though. If there is a picture or video of a woman posted you can guarantee her attractiveness will be rated, no matter how off topic it is.

kingkitty

first, let me speak in my japanese tongue:

todae wa doko desu ka

translation: i don't agree with your suggestion. waifu is a great term.

Squire

Banned
What does "waifu" have to do with objectifying women in a forum context? One is used exclusively in anime discussions as a joke and the other is an actual problem that hurts discussion.

Insinuating it's always used ironically entertains a fallacy.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Banning waifu will stop being from insensitive? Good luck with that. The anime/manga community uses waifu more as a joke, as well as husbando.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom