• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we create a market for "used" digital games (mainly for PS5 DE and XBSS)?

mili2110

My thought:
- Create a new PSN/XBL account +email
- buy the game u want with the "burner" account
- play it with your own primary account, so trophies/achievements are earned on your main account
- sell the "burner" account (email +pw) with the digital purchase after playing through the game.

That way you can:
- play through the campaign for maybe 10$ in the best case (if you buy for 70$ and sell for 60$ after a week for example)
- buyer can enjoy a almost brand new game for lower price and can sell the account again for probably no or lil loss (depends on discount on PSN/Xbox store)

advantages:
- you can buy the 100$ cheaper PS5 DE (or XBSS) and spend those 100$/200$ on games
- buy and sell those games and save money
- instant buying/selling possible
- no need for shipping
- you save the planet (no plastic, shipping, co2 emission) :messenger_winking_tongue:

disadvantages:
- you need a marketplace/platform to sell
- must pay for marketplace fee (if its not a forum)
- does not work for MP games (if its good you would probably want to play it forever)

Are there any online platforms/marketplaces where you can sell PSN/XBL accounts/games? I know there are "CDkeys" for PS4/XBO but are mostly the same price as on PSN Store etc. Only PC cd-keys are way cheaper than on Steam most of the time.
What do you think?

Fbh

Sounds like a lot of extra steps and annoyances over just getting the physical edition.

How would you make the transaction safe? How do I know you'll send me the information once I pay ? You'd need to have someone checking every account that's put up for sale to make sure it's legit.

I'm also pretty sure this is against the TOS. You might get away with it for a while but if Sony noticed it they'll probably start banning accounts.

Just buy, play and resell 2 newish physical games and you've basically already "made back" the extra $100 you have to pay for the physical edition

Last edited:
MS was planning to do just this with Xbox One, but gamers said no.

Now we got all the disadvantages of digital and none of the potential advantages of that system.
I remember sitting in these meetings, hearing how the digital marketplace would work and how you could list your own digital games for whatever price you wanted. It was like what I wanted Steam to be.

Sad days when they fucked up the XB1 with DRM and such.

Unknown?

I remember when PS3 had 5 systems you could have your account on. Game sharing was rampant so Sony changed it to two.

I got screwed because I did that then sold my PS3 for a new one and forgot to deactivate the system. I had to start a whole new account because no one would deactivate.

MiguelItUp

Uhhh, no? That sounds like too much for some people, and it sounds sketch, lmao. Even if it was a bit different that'd feel odd.

Reminds me of people selling digital games on ebay that are tied to a unique account. Or one that you HAVE to play offline, lmao.

rvjI6zp.gif

> Pro-tip: This is how we shared physical games back in 2013:

I1AdzfO.gif

Never go full digital.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Seems way too convoluted and the average gamer will find this process pretty tedious, opening and closing accounts for every game you buy and want to sell.....no thanks.
Like others have said just buy the disc version of whatever console you prefer and if you really want to save money on games just wait a month or two after the game releases and buy used or when on sale.
I’ve done it pretty much this whole gen and regularly find games at half price and even less if you know where to look.

sainraja

Now we got all the disadvantages of digital and none of the potential advantages of that system.

How they were going to implement that was the issue. Not the idea itself. Let's not mix that up. People were fine with the concept as a whole, just now how Microsoft was proposing it.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Oh please; you really think MS was going to implement "selling games used digitally"?

Publishers would have never bought into that.

There was some cool stuff in MS's DRM (being able to treat physical games like digital purchases) but they didn't go that far.

sn0man

They certainly claimed that was the plan. What stopped them? Why couldn’t they institute this policy now? Do they have the technology to enact an always online option that allows for check-ins and provides some sort of resale option?

the answers to the question are pretty informative on the likelihood of us ever getting that option. Steam and Apple have family sharing. Why hasn’t Microsoft tried to match that? Is allowing for a physical disc on a console technically prohibitive to Microsoft matching the feature parity of other digital platforms (especially on a different platform like PC with their Microsoft App store)?

diffusionx

Gold Member
They certainly claimed that was the plan. What stopped them? Why couldn’t they institute this policy now? Do they have the technology to enact an always online option that allows for check-ins and provides some sort of resale option?

the answers to the question are pretty informative on the likelihood of us ever getting that option. Steam and Apple have family sharing. Why hasn’t Microsoft tried to match that? Is allowing for a physical disc on a console technically prohibitive to Microsoft matching the feature parity of other digital platforms (especially on a different platform like PC with their Microsoft App store)?

I think they wanted to institute these policies to get people to buy into digital. But people have already bought in. The market is like 70%-90% digital at this point, without it, so why bother. Back then it was basically 0%, who bought full games digital on 360?

Last edited:

sn0man

I think they wanted to institute these policies to get people to buy into digital. But people have already bought in. The market is like 70%-90% digital at this point, without it, so why bother. Back then it was basically 0%, who bought full games digital on 360?
I think they could have instituted these policies but where never series because we never saw any of it. Microsoft thought they could force the issue and still tries to use a stick when a carrot is all that’s needed.

sainraja

Yeah! Exactly and very good points. Nothing stopping Microsoft from actually allowing it now. Sony should also do the same and the funny thing is, they use to do allow it! With the PS4, you are restricted to the primary and another where you have to be logged into.

DaGwaphics

Oh please; you really think MS was going to implement "selling games used digitally"?

There was some cool stuff in MS's DRM (being able to treat physical games like digital purchases) but they didn't go that far.

It was said that MS would charge a transfer fee that would be shared with developers, so basically you set your price and then get that - the transfer fee in store credit. B Bladed Thesis any truth to those old rumors?

sainraja

I don't think think they ever talked about being able to sell your digital games as used. You could share your digital games but as far as I recall, selling used games was never on their roadmap and when we're talking about digital games here the concept of "used" doesn't really apply, does it?

As for sharing your digital games, they can still implement that feature. It does not have to be what they proposed with the 24-hour check-in or not at all.

Last edited:

Nobody is stopping Microsoft from giving more power to digital gamers. Only a moron believes they were ever actually wanting to implement this quality of life features and it wasn't a complete afterthought to deal with tremendous amount of backlash they received.

"Oh you won't let us strip away your physical ownership rights? Well fuck you I'm keeping my ball then!" Is what actually happened and ballwashers like you need to wise up to that.

IntentionalPun

It was said that MS would charge a transfer fee that would be shared with developers, so basically you set your price and then get that - the transfer fee in store credit. B Bladed Thesis any truth to those old rumors?
The entire concept of used digital sales is likely never to happen, ever.

They definitely never "claimed that was the plan" as was said in this thread.

The plan was to allow physical disks to act like a digital purchase; you don't need the disk in the drive to play. This required the always online DRM, and also made it so selling a used physical game required a license transfer.. that was going to be only possible at select retailers.

None of their plans had anything to do with selling used digital games.

DaGwaphics

The entire concept of used digital sales is likely never to happen, ever.

They definitely never "claimed that was the plan" as was said in this thread.

The plan was to allow physical disks to act like a digital purchase; you don't need the disk in the drive to play. This required the always online DRM, and also made it so selling a used physical game required a license transfer.. that was going to be only possible at select retailers.

None of their plans had anything to do with selling used digital games.

I definitely remember Mattrick saying something about allowing digital transfers just once per copy and having a digital marketplace for that, maybe I can find an article.

Here is one example: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/m...rth-100-more-than-playstation-4/1100-6413920/

Not the article I was thinking of though. It's hard to find these after all these years.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Game Pass and services like it have changed the dynamic of the digital marketplace in the opposite direction as something like a used digital game marketplace. With PSNow and xCloud there can come a point where running a game locally is no longer industry standard, let alone "game ownership".

I do this on PS4,played from primary account ,and then selled account with games.The problem is that,majority of marketplaces do not apply digital content for sell,also Ebay,although that my last sale is exactly on ebay.Marketplace fee raises the price unnecessary(15% on ebay/10%ebay,5%paypal/) .If trust is there,at least part of the fees can be avoided .Soon will sell my PS4 Pro including 2 accounts with games(8 games and couple themes).Other 2 accounts will sell separately(14games+themes).To the one who bought the accounts ,will provide login data from PSN,and login data for email itself,to my new owner to change the password, and if he want to replace email with his own.The good thing is that you can login with that account on 2 ps4 systems(if have 2,or friend maybe) ,and to play those games at the same time, even online, if certain conditions are met .Whether this applies to PS5 also,we are yet to find out .One more problem is the market for stollen accounts,and yes,there is one.Must be very careful what buy.You can recognize such accounts by the fact that the sellers do not allow you to change passwords, and do not provide access to e-mail .NEVER BUY SUCH ACCOUNTS !!!Another safe measure could be ,to send a message via PSN ,to the relevant account, and to receive confirmation from the seller. If anyone is interested, what exactly will I sell ,PM.Marketplace on NeoGAF says "You have insufficient privileges to post threads here"

Eimran

All these annoyances just go get a game cheaper
High probability to get scammed on
Chance of banning since TOS will most likely be violated

All these extra steps to get games not at the 70/80 pricerange of Sony/microsoft.

Just keep this in mind when saying full digital is the future

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Edit: original post deleted. I don't know how to use multi quote 😔

MS was building a system to sell or trade in digital licenses. Not a lot of info was ever released as the internet backlash causes them to pivot. Retailers were getting prepped on initial ideas and plans. You can find some preliminary information about it here. Physical and digital licenses where originally going to be one in the same.

There were also some bad strings attached such as the ability of a publisher to stop trade ins full stop on their titles, but the ground work was being built.

I was originally replying to IntentionalPun IntentionalPun

Last edited:
The gist of it was a market where users could list licenses to transfer. You are correct it that the original intention was a single transfer instance only. The fee earned was Xbox credit and not cash or anything. It was pitched to GameStop, Wal-Mart and Best Buy or could be done from your console. I was there for a few of their presentations on how this would play out and the process as they worked to develop the POS system for delivery. It was very early stages when the DRM issue exploded and they pulled back entirely.

At this point, there is no need to go there. As somebody else said, the console market has already gone digital and there is now a different service without even game ownership now. Allowing the transfer of licenses isn't needed. It was seen as a stepping point to move away from physical console media as research and surverys showed some signs that the console consumers would be more hesistant to move towards a digital future compared to music or cinema. This has been proven somewhat wrong now that we've seen how quickly console digital grew. Again, at this point, there is no need to make concessions to try and push the market towards digital so there is no need to go here anymore. The opportunity is gone.

IntentionalPun

MS was building a system to sell or trade in digital licenses. Not a lot of info was ever released as the internet backlash causes them to pivot. Retailers were getting prepped on initial ideas and plans. You can find some preliminary information about it here. Physical and digital licenses where originally going to be one in the same.

There were also some bad strings attached such as the ability of a publisher to stop trade ins full stop on their titles, but the ground work was being built.

This was for physical games....

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
This was for physical games....
Physical and digital licenses were going to be the same. I'm not saying I have the answers as to how, as those plans were put on the back burner and never fully disclosed.

Hell, I remember my southeast market manager talking about it at best buy. He was given a heads up and we were confused on how it would actually work. He wasn't a gamer/tech guy either, he didn't get the idea from a video game forum.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Used digital games should not be a thing.
I don't think the plan was for retailers to sell used digital games, but it basically would allow you to sell your license back for pennies on the dollar. Personally, I think it's a pretty pointless idea, but you can find surveys on the internet from 2016 where Microsoft was asking participants if they thought getting 10% of the original value for trading in your digital game was a good value. A buyback would probably a better term than a trade in.

Edit: IntentionalPun IntentionalPun , thought I would add you on here because this is probably how it was going to work. Me speculating on available info of course.

Edit: P Pankratous I just realized I read your post on the wrong context so my reply is basically useless to what you were saying.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Actually pretty sure MS was going to allow it. and if you did those developers would get a direct cut of your used digital sale. Currently NO developers gets a cut of used game sales. It would be great now, and you could recoup a little of the money spent.

DaGwaphics

Actually pretty sure MS was going to allow it. and if you did those developers would get a direct cut of your used digital sale. Currently NO developers gets a cut of used game sales. It would be great now, and you could recoup a little of the money spent.

I think it would have been a great feature. Unfortunately, as B Bladed Thesis hinted at, most of us went digital without demanding the extra perks and now we'll never get them. :lollipop_pensive:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Stop being cheap and just buy a new copy of a game that you want. When you buy used copies of games, you're depriving the games' developers and publishers - and the platform that hosts the game - of compensation for their hard work in regard to creating the games, distributing them, and creating a means via which you can play them. Advocates of used-game sales are selfish.

sainraja

Yeah but the issue that people had wasn't that. The cost of how they were going to allow that was the 24 hour check-in.

sainraja

Physical and digital licenses were going to be the same. I'm not saying I have the answers as to how, as those plans were put on the back burner and never fully disclosed.

Hell, I remember my southeast market manager talking about it at best buy. He was given a heads up and we were confused on how it would actually work. He wasn't a gamer/tech guy either, he didn't get the idea from a video game forum.
How can anyone make the argument that a digital game ever becomes "used"?

Think about it for a second. How does a digital game become used?

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
How can anyone make the argument that a digital game ever becomes "used"?

Think about it for a second. How does a digital game become used?
Finish reading the thread. You can't sell a used digitial copy obviously, but they could buy back. A buy back of 10% of original digital license purchase cost popped up on a survey sent out from MS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom