• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we reflect on how once-in-a-lifetime Twitch Plays Pokemon was?

Crayolan

I feel like if someone organised it, maybe gave like a week notice or something, and really marketed it as a repeat of the last time, it might reach like half the scale of the original. I'd still love to try it again though. I remember getting to the Lavender town Pokemon Centre and the catharsis that came with that. I'd been drinking the night before at a party, and the next morning we woke up, ate pancakes, and watched the struggle. It was an amazing experience.

That already happened. It was pretty great, but it peaked it at like 10k viewers.

Nightbird

We did Lt. Surge's puzzle in ONE TRY. That stupid thing takes me 10 tries since it's completely random. Blows my mind

this was where it went from a silly thing to a legendary project for me.

I remember waking up to that news ab be like "how in the actual fuck did they managed to do this?"

great times

StoneFox

The original run was amazing, but the platinum playthrough was just as good. We beat the "hardest" pokemon game in full anarchy and you wouldn't believe how much fucking drama a single Shinx caused. There was a love triangle caused by the daycare where our Shinx, Flareon and Bibarel had babies.

bcd.jpg

Yes, we took an unevolved shinx to the elite four.

Kain

It was really, really fun in short bursts. I remember being in the last fight writing a thousand A in that last thunder (or was it thunderbolt?). Pure magic

Nobody fux with the Dux. Man, that was a moment.

My entire college was consumed by the TPP hype, and someone had the stream running in the main lounge while discussions were happening.

It truly was a landmark event in Internet history.

The massive community that created itself from scratch was just awesome, as was their ability to essentially form a religion around party members. So much fake lore. People who wrote up daily summaries made it a legitimately entertaining read! Democracy killed the buzz for awhile, but otherwise it's the closest thing I may ever witness to an actual miracle on the internet that they pulled it off.

Those were innocent times, when memes were made for laughs instead of soliciting other extreme reactions.

Nanashrew

Banned
While people didn't like democracy, I don't think many picked up on the mini political war that happened over it. Stuff like separation of church and state, war of attrition, shutting down democracy (start9) and return to the old ways "because it's what Lord Helix would want," and so on.

Chat was crazy. I don't think the mini political wars made it into many of the images and lore though. But it was there in chat and I remember it well. Sometimes even got talked about in YT comments, especially after that Starcraft player tried organize a raid to get Red to release all his Pokemon because he hated TPP so much. But he too became part of the lore as "he who should not be named."

I don't even remember his name, that's a good thing though. And don't bring it up, it's like Maleficent!

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I keep thinking it was a once-in-a-lifetime happening too. I'm still surprised that everyone around me knew about it and were already watching it, from family, friends to co-workers. I started watching just before we lost Jay Leno, and witnessing the arguments about Lapras or Eevee was amazing.

The passion and planning so many had for it was brilliant. And it all worked out. Crazy.

woopWOOP

Didn't participate, just checked in once a while to see how they were doing, but I was pretty amazed they actually completed the game before it petered out. Having the original TPP team hacked in as Red's team for G/S's final boss was a pretty fun too. Stopped paying attention after that.

Wasn't there a smaller group who went through the games even faster, but it was like a group of 20 who would ban you if you didn't listen to orders? Lol

Forkball

It really was something amazing. I heard about it via a thread on GAF and watched a bit thinking it was amusing. When Charmeleon (Abby) got released, I stopped watching as it was a textbook example of "This is why we can't have nice things." However I picked it up again when I heard they were actually making significant progress. I was one of the lucky ones that was able to witness the defeat of Blue live. That whole last E4 run was amazing.

There were so many perfect things that fell into place. It truly felt like destiny at some points. I mean Venomoth having a V in its nickname so it could be All Terrain Venomoth? What if his name was ATH? It wouldn't have worked.

Here are some of my favorite pictures people made from that run.

F5jGr7H.jpg

2Vtng7P.jpg

82c.jpg

752.jpg

655.jpg

88f

98f.png

Garudan

Banned
I can't believe it's been almost 3 years. I truly believe this is something to tell tales of generations down the line.

sibarraz

Banned
EDIT: Someone beated me with the image _(

I can't find that drawing when the whole thing finished, where blue asked red what does it feel to win the league, at which he responds "quiet" while all the inputs dissapear.

Don't know why, but was very emotional to me

Nintenleo

Just like Pokemon Go some months ago, with people gathering in some places and getting to know each other to catch some beasts, TpP is a landmark in gaming. The first run was epic and we were all feeling part of a greater mission. It seemed impossibile, but we did it somehow. The second run was very cool too and the lore of the "God-slayer" story was even better than the original.

I don't know why events like that happen only with Pokemon, it can't be just nostalgia. I'll never forget those days anyway.

I would like someone to try doing it on Beam with the actual buttons you can press to make the game do things. Maybe the latency would make it too easy though.

I loved the chaos of it in its early stages with the obsession with selecting the SS Ticket or Helix fossil, the funny naturally formed nicknames like Abby or Jay Leno and the hilarious challenges of such a format like pokemon being released.
I felt the change with the voting system and Reddit's organisation and influence wound up ruining the chaotic and unpredictable aspect as they had the numbers to decide any outcome so I stopped watching it at that stage.

kiguel182

The ledges were the highlight for me. The whole democracy mode ruined it for me since I enjoyed the chaos way more.

It was still legendary and one of the coolest things I've seen,

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It was an amazing event. I learned about it when they were in the Rocket Hideout, and followed it since then. The images, the songs, the posts in the GAF thread, I had a lot of fun with it. Thousands of people playing Pokemon together, that was incredible. Sadly I missed the final Elite 4 run, but whatever.

I didn't get into the other games. Started following FireRed, but lost interest pretty fast.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
While people didn't like democracy, I don't think many picked up on the mini political war that happened over it. Stuff like separation of church and state, war of attrition, shutting down democracy (start9) and return to the old ways "because it's what Lord Helix would want," and so on.

Chat was crazy. I don't think the mini political wars made it into many of the images and lore though. But it was there in chat and I remember it well. Sometimes even got talked about in YT comments, especially after that Starcraft player tried organize a raid to get Red to release all his Pokemon because he hated TPP so much. But he too became part of the lore as "he who should not be named."

I don't even remember his name, that's a good thing though. And don't bring it up, it's like Maleficent!

That stuff was crazy. I'd love to go through it again.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The ledges were the highlight for me. The whole democracy mode ruined it for me since I enjoyed the chaos way more.

It was still legendary and one of the coolest things I've seen,
Never would've gotten through it without democracy mode. Not without the popularity dying down to 20 or so people, which would've ruined it anyway.

Brashnir

yeah, but eventually it became clear that the thing would just be botted into democracy at any tiny hint of adversity, and I tuned out.

Ever since twitch added a huge delay between chat and stream, it makes any interaction virtually pointless.

Twitch plays Pokemon isn't nearly as interesting as people make it out to be. If it appeared before twitch's delay inducing overhaul, it might have been a spectacle.

Mr-Joker

Banned
My favorite part was the Team Rocket hideout, they got so lost in there, wiped out against Giovanni, had to redo the whole hideout, defeat Giovanni only to use dig leaving the Silph Scope behind.

Twitch Plays Pokemon should have stopped streaming after the first game ended and wait a whole year to start up the next gen; make it a yearly event. I think that would have kept it's popularity.

Not really, Twitch Play Pokémon Red only got popular because it was gen 1 and it would have been very unlikely that people would have stuck around to play the later generation games.

It was a once in a lifetime experience.

Stopdoor

There's also the issue that the first run was far more organic, where later runs people were trying too hard to emulate the first one

Yeah, there's a lot of reasons it was once-in-a-lifetime.

It was also ultimately kind of a boring thing when you got down to the raw input, you could only sustain the massive crowd that made it exciting for so long.

Yes, TPP was truly a wonderful event in every sense of the word. It really is a shame it fell off so quickly after that - I'm with others, a scheduled yearly event would have been pretty rad, even if it never would have hit the popularity of the original due to its sheer originality.

Codeblue

Still remember multiple people having Twitch open on their laptops during class. Really was a lightening in a bottle type thing and I'm glad I was there for it.

All Terrain Venemoth secret best Pokemon. Sorry birds.

Nobody fux with the Dux. Man, that was a moment.

My entire college was consumed by the TPP hype, and someone had the stream running in the main lounge while discussions were happening.

It truly was a landmark event in Internet history.

I had it up in a computer lab at my university where I worked that had a lounge area. Leaving out all the actual important stuff I think TPP was one of my top 5 favorite things produced by the internet, TPP, Bob Ross stream, and the Pokemon TV show marathon. All super fun.

The original run was amazing, but the platinum playthrough was just as good. We beat the "hardest" pokemon game in full anarchy and you wouldn't believe how much fucking drama a single Shinx caused. There was a love triangle caused by the daycare where our Shinx, Flareon and Bibarel had babies.

bcd.jpg

Yes, we took an unevolved shinx to the elite four.

Well we also had the timeline which never happened because of the reset. Sunbrella had kids and it never came to pass!

.Anema

TPP was so good, the concept, the meta story (lol helix and ATV haha) and all the media covering the milestones. Happy I was part of the event :D

Top Bottom